Back to Home / #mythtv / 2003 / 06 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2003-06-16

00:00<poptix>in fact, my entire sound system works without hassle
00:00<bigguy>all my various sound cards work great in alsa
00:00<bigguy>not all work great if at all in oss
00:00<bigguy>without the oss/nonfree that is
00:01<bigguy>anyway laundry time
00:01<bigguy>bbiaf
00:08-!-billytwowilly [~chris@24.86.147.220] has joined #mythtv
00:15<exs>Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
00:15<exs>Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
00:15<exs>(EE) [GLX]: Failed to add GLX extension (NVIDIA XFree86 driver not found)
00:15<exs>now I'm getting that when trying to startx
00:18-!-billytwowilly [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
00:23<exs>crap, changed the driver from nv to nvidia
00:23<exs>now the machine locked up
00:23<exs>sometimes I hate X
00:24<Chutt>mdz, did you ever finish looking at that patch by david watson "conflict resolution bug"?
00:25<mdz_>Chutt: doesn't ring a bell
00:25<Chutt>you pasted a bit of it in yesterday
00:25<Chutt>or earlier today?
00:25<Chutt>i dunno
00:26<mdz_>sure it was me?
00:26<Chutt>yup
00:27<Chutt>[13:45] <mdz_> if (second->conflicting && !first->conflicting)
00:27<Chutt>[13:45] <mdz_> when would that ever happen?
00:27<Chutt>that
00:27<mdz_>that wasn't from a patch
00:27<mdz_>that is the existing scheduler code
00:27<Chutt>oh
00:27<Chutt>funny =)
00:27<mdz_>I was looking into implementing overrides and/or fixing the issues you mentioned the otherd ay
00:27<Chutt>that's in the patch
00:27<mdz_>as context?
00:28<mdz_>I don't think I saw this patch
00:28<Chutt>part of it was changed
00:28<exs>has anyone else had X just lock a machine up with the nvidia driver?
00:28<mdz_>this paper is pretty good: http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfs-perf/results/cel/write-throughput.html
00:28<mdz_>explains some of what I'm seeing with the I/O stuff
00:30<Chutt>http://lists.snowman.net/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2003-June/010664.html
00:30<Chutt>is the patch
00:30<Chutt>doesn't _really_ fix things
00:30<Chutt>but it would help a little
00:31<Chutt>if it can record a show later, do it then, instead of recording something that's already started
00:31<Chutt>hmm, actually
00:36<exs>cool, I've earned an /ignore :)
00:37<Chutt>exs, there's better places to ask questions about X
00:40<exs>yeah, but I have a greater chance of encountering someone with a similar config in here
00:40<exs>seeing as my ultimate goal is the same as everyone else
00:41<Chutt>highly doubtful
00:50-!-bline [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
00:53-!-hfb [~hfb@pool0382.cvx26-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net] has joined #mythtv
00:53-!-hfb_ [~hfb@pool0382.cvx26-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net] has joined #mythtv
00:53-!-hfb__ [~hfb@pool0382.cvx26-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net] has joined #mythtv
00:53<exs>(WW) NVIDIA(0): No connected display devices detected; assuming 1 CRT
00:53<exs>odd, it didn't detect the svideo connected
00:53<exs>that may be why I get no video and it locks up
00:54<Chutt>there's ways to force what's connected in the config file
00:54-!-hfb [] has quit [Client Quit]
00:54-!-hfb_ [] has quit [Client Quit]
00:54-!-hfb__ [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
00:54<exs>do you use one of these ways?
00:55-!-hfb [~hfb@pool0382.cvx26-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net] has joined #mythtv
00:55<Chutt>nope
01:18<monkeyBox>Does mythtv have plans to implement a way to change the misc. settings for the PVR-250 (such as bitrate, etc..) ?
01:19-!-sc00p [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
01:19<monkeyBox>b/c it would be nice to be able to record at different bitrates (w/ profiles) instead of changing it manually with "test_ioctl"
01:21-!-bline [~sbeck@h24-84-93-233.vc.shawcable.net] has joined #mythtv
01:22<bline>wasn't there a bug about hitting a random key would cause a segfault with lastest cvs?
01:24-!-KonvIRC [~konversat@acs-24-154-143-226.zoominternet.net] has joined #mythtv
01:28-!-hfb [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
01:31<captain_proton>regarding the backend database, is there any way i can tell if something is a movie based on the chanid+starttime+endtime ?
01:31<captain_proton>it looks like 'stars != 0' would be the trick
01:32<captain_proton>but i'm not sure
01:36<-- activelow(1000@CPE-65-30-205-174.wi.rr.com) has left #mythtv ("Client Exiting")
01:36<bline>it's happening on the delete screen as well if no one has reported it.
01:38-!-exs [] has quit ["changing servers"]
01:38-!-exs [extremis@equinox.alluvium.com] has joined #mythtv
01:38-!-exs [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
01:41-!-monkeyBox [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
01:46-!-hfb [~hfb@pool0005.cvx13-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net] has joined #mythtv
01:46-!-rkulagow__ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
01:47-!-rkulagow__ [~rkulagow@12-206-155-239.client.attbi.com] has joined #mythtv
01:52-!-hfb [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
02:00<Chutt>bline, fixed, thanks =)
02:03<bline>cool :)
02:04-!-hfb [~hfb@pool0094.cvx25-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net] has joined #mythtv
02:05<Chutt>that's the last of those
02:17<bline>What function in NuppleVideoPlayer.cpp is mainly used for audio syncing?
02:18<bline>ExAVSync?
02:30-!-kiwi_uk [~kiwiuk@pc3-nfds1-6-cust201.nott.cable.ntl.com] has joined #mythtv
02:42<KonvIRC>anyone know why when i mute my linein channel, it doesn't mute?
02:42-!-KonvIRC is now known as techniq
02:45<bline>wrong linein?
02:45<techniq>no
02:46<bline>well mute everything and see if you get no sound.'
02:46<techniq>i actually can't mute it unless i mute igain
02:46<techniq>or with volume or pcm
02:47<bline>you are trying to mute the capture input?
02:47<techniq>i can hear it now without mythtv on, i have line muted and igain not, but if i mute igain, it mutes
02:47<techniq>no
02:47<techniq>right now its completely out of sync
02:47<techniq>which i think is because i'm hearing the live feed
02:48<bline>Right, so you need to mute what you are capturing on.
02:48<bline>linein or whatever
02:48<techniq>the igain?
02:48<bline>whatever you have capture set on
02:48<techniq>i do
02:48<techniq>let me show you a ss
02:49<bline>this second sound is covered in the howto btw.
02:49<bline>or the FAQ
02:50<techniq>i went through the FAQ, to no prevail
02:50<bigguy>avail
02:50<techniq>i had it working right before i formatted as well as upgraded to .9
02:50<techniq>;)
02:50<bigguy>or somethink
02:50<bigguy>thing
02:51<techniq>http://techniq.homelinux.com:8000/mute.jpg
02:51<techniq>does that look right?
02:52<bline>ugg, I can't read that
02:52<bline>use alsamixer
02:55<techniq>http://techniq.homelinux.com:8000/mute1.jpg
02:55<techniq>with alsamixergui
02:55<techniq>i have line selected as the recording source, but muted
02:55<techniq>still hear it
02:56<bline>use the terminal client, I don't understand all those lights and stuff
02:57<techniq>http://techniq.homelinux.com:8000/mute2.jpg
02:57<techniq>try that
02:58<bline>So you are capturing on "Line"?
02:58<techniq>i guess so.. where do i set it
02:59<bline>Anyway, whatever line you are caturing in, you need to mute it
02:59<techniq>capture also shows to be captureing
02:59<bline>there will be 4, atleast there are on mine
03:00<techniq>i have something like that
03:00<techniq>only line selected will put out anything
03:00<techniq>but it won't mute
03:00<techniq>is what i'm not getting
03:00<bline>If you can't get it to mute, it is the wrong line
03:01<bline>PMC ofcoarse will mute everything, that is like the master
03:01<bline>err PCM
03:03<bline>maybe you should go back to the install inteructions and the sound troubleshooting section
03:07-!-techniq [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:58-!-Conaz [~conaz@12.106.3.51] has joined #mythtv
08:58-!-rkulagow__ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
09:09-!-sc00p [~oldendic@zink-a-dip3.nat.okstate.edu] has joined #mythtv
09:17-!-thor [~thor@208.185.11.34] has joined #mythtv
09:20-!-PeteCool [~pete@modemcable019.237-201-24.mtl.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #mythtv
09:24<PeteCool>Chutt: any ideas why SasQuatch (and funhouse-1.5 by "genetics") would only display the french <alttext> strings in the xml menus?
09:41<Snow-Man>Are the mailing lists working for people?
09:42<rkulagow>are messages flowing, yes. do newbies read the archives, for the most part, no.
09:42<Snow-Man>haha.
09:42<Snow-Man>Alright, the first is what I care about. :)
09:42<Snow-Man>I'm planning to replace the relay server tonight (honest!)
09:42<rkulagow>(there's about a 5 minute lag on my own messages, but it's working as of a few minutes ago)
09:43<Snow-Man>I couldn't care less about a 5 minute lag.:)
09:43<Snow-Man>Though it'll probably be better with the new relay server.
09:43<Snow-Man>Since it's a faster box I'll probably set it up so that it can have a higher number of concurrent connections going.
09:45<rkulagow>have you considered adding a footer that points to the gossamer-threads archive?
09:46<Snow-Man>I just run the servers, Chutt runs the list and stuff like that.
09:46<thor>and a header that says RTFM and GUFG
09:46<thor>=)
09:48<rkulagow>rtfm i know, but gufg?
09:48<thor>go use *friendly* google
09:48* Conazlaughs
09:49<Conaz>I'll have to remember that one
09:49* Snow-Mansmirks.
09:49<rkulagow>rkulagow laughs, but doesn't know how to get that to show up as one of those out of band comments. i guess i should GUFG.
09:49<Conaz>I've just recently started actually reading almost all the messages coming through the list, I can see how the duplicate questions irritate you all :)
09:50-!-hfb [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
09:58<bigguy>not to mention the html email
10:02<Conaz>Hehee, yup, just saw that mentioned once again
10:04<bigguy>"I'm a simple guy who can't be bothered to read the documentation provided so someone hold my hand through the process."
10:05<thor>and why doesn't my npeg-2 decoder work?
10:06<bigguy>and why does my extremely underpowered machine get pegged out when playing large mpeg2 and mpeg4 files?
10:06<Conaz>Perhaps we need a "pre-test" that one would need to pass before actually getting signed up for the mailing lists?
10:06<bigguy>oh and recording them
10:06<bigguy>;)
10:07<Conaz>Have them answer questions right out of the documentation ;)
10:08<Conaz>The first question would be a huge weed out question: locate the documentation and paste the url as the answer...
10:09<bigguy>"Can your read?" "Will you read?" "Have you read?" "Did you understand or are you just a stupid waste of a man?"
10:10<bigguy>"Subject: some question having nothing to do with mythtv and it's use
10:10<bigguy>"
10:10<bigguy>"Hello, I'm having driver problems and I can't be arsed to ask the proper people"
10:20<Snow-Man>Speaking of horribly underpowered machines..
10:21<Snow-Man>A dual 800mhz P3 machine isn't going to be able to keep up with MPEG-4 encoding, is it?
10:21<Chutt>not at the default settings
10:21<Snow-Man>(Not that being dual would really help)
10:21<Snow-Man>Hrmpf, darn.
10:21<Chutt>thanks for cleaning off relay :p
10:21<Snow-Man>Chutt: Sorry about the lists. :/
10:21<Snow-Man>I'm gonna change the box out tonight.
10:21<Snow-Man>The new one has a 4G /var, or so.
10:25<Snow-Man>I actually didn't clean it out myself till this morning, the log rotation cleaned up the logs some.
10:28<Chutt>ah
10:29<Chutt>well, cool =)
10:38<bigguy>"I want you to add an equalizer to appease my girlfriend's sensative ears"
10:38<bigguy>"Do it now damnit"
10:38<thor>That one was pretty impressive
10:39-!-extremis [extremis@121-17.waldenweb.com] has joined #mythtv
10:40-!-kiwi_uk [] has quit ["Peace and Protection 4.22"]
10:40<Conaz>Yes, I thought that was quite the request too
10:43<Conaz>Gotta love those Out of Office replies too
10:45<bigguy>"These are my own opinions and do not reflect upon my employer J Badguy Corp."
10:46<Chutt>that's funny
10:46<Chutt>i just got an ooo reply off list
10:47<Conaz>yup
10:47<Conaz>Hopefully their ooo is smart and will only send you one :) And not one for each post...
10:49<Chutt>well, if it does, someone's off the mailing list
10:51<Conaz>The auto-reply I got had a subject line that I'm pretty sure I hadn't replied to since Friday, very strange
10:57-!-thor [] has quit ["using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.2.1"]
10:58-!-hfb [~hfb@lsanca1-ar2-4-60-000-114.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
11:00-!-schultmc [~schultmc@zealot.progeny.com] has joined #mythtv
11:06-!-thor [~thor@208.185.11.34] has joined #mythtv
11:15-!-Viddy [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
11:26-!-StarHeart [edgan@64-42-21-228.atgi.net] has joined #mythtv
11:34-!-bline [] has quit [Ping timeout: 14400 seconds]
11:42<Chutt>well, at least valgrind works well
11:42<Snow-Man>I dunno about that.
11:43<Snow-Man>I had issues with it and it uses memory like a son of a bitch last I tried it.
11:43<Chutt>of course it does
11:43<Chutt>has to keep track of everything
11:44<Snow-Man>Hmmm, pvr-250 is only composite/svideo, eh?
11:44<Chutt>there's a tuner
11:44<Snow-Man>oh
11:44<Snow-Man>Ok, missed that on the 'includes' list.
11:45-!-Viddy [david@visp194-179.visp.co.nz] has joined #mythtv
11:45<Snow-Man>Hmmm.
11:46<Snow-Man>How much are they?
11:46<bigguy>$100-150
11:46<Snow-Man>The 350 just has an FM radio receiver added on to it>
11:46<Snow-Man>?
11:47<Chutt>and a decoder
11:47<Chutt>neither of which works in linux yet
11:47<Snow-Man>I was about to ask about that. :)
11:47<Snow-Man>Any clue if the decoder has any future w/ mythtv? I'm guessing probably not.
11:47<Chutt>it might
11:48<Snow-Man>If you can write stuff into a framebuffer before it goes out to the screen?
11:48<Snow-Man>Post-decoding
11:48<Chutt>well
11:48<Chutt>mythtv does work with qt-embedded
11:48<Chutt>which just displays on a framebuffer
11:48<hfb>If anyone is interested. Via recently posted a new set of drivers and info for the M series epia board, but for some reason it is gone now. It can be found here though. http://www.retel.dk/downloads/clexf40028.zip
11:48<Chutt>hfb, they took them down intentionally, and they're really not useful yet
11:49<Chutt>soon, though
11:49<Chutt>snowman, anyway, it should be possible to make the -350 act as a generic framebuffer device
11:49<hfb>Why did they take them down? Should I ask then why they put them up in the first place?
11:49<Chutt>of course, you'll _only_ be able to do mpeg-2 video, not the other mythtv formats
11:49<Snow-Man>Chutt: And still do the decoding?
11:49<Snow-Man>Oh, point.
11:49<Snow-Man>Well, unless you do the decoding yourself.
11:50<Chutt>right, but displaying to the framebuffer'll be fairly slow
11:50<Chutt>hfb, they didn't mean for em to be up yet =)
11:50<Snow-Man>hrm, doh.
11:50<Snow-Man>Well, seeing as how the frontend probably isn't going to be on phoenix anyway I'll probably just start with the 250 and worry about the 350 later if I get interested in it.
11:50<hfb>Chutt: The funny thing is that they still have a link listed on their webpage. Obviously a dead link. :)
11:51<Snow-Man>Is the MPEG2 format much better than MPEG-4?
11:51<Snow-Man>errr
11:51<Snow-Man>s/better/bigger/
11:51<Chutt>snowman, not really. mpeg4 is meant for lower bitrates
11:51<Chutt>ah, then, yes
11:51<Snow-Man>Hmmm.
11:52<Snow-Man>Does it look better? :)
11:52<Chutt>not really
11:52-!-odine [~polowy@ny-dunkirk1a-61.buf.adelphia.net] has joined #mythtv
11:53<odine>can anyone help perhaps? running debian unstable.. grabed the latest .debs for mythtv and when i run the /etc/cron.daily/mythtv script it give me an insert error when trying to fill the database? any ideas why?
11:53<hfb>Chutt: Anything else you'd like to pass along with regards to the status of these drivers? :)
11:53<Chutt>hfb, i'd really just wait a little bit
11:53<Chutt>they _are_ going to release em eventually
11:53<Chutt>as far as i know, at least
11:54<Snow-Man>odine: Shit happens.
11:54<Chutt>thor, hi mr. no destructor =)
11:54<Snow-Man>odine: Blame the people getting the TV guide data.
11:54<Chutt>snowman, it does depend on the insert error
11:54<Snow-Man>Chutt: Well, true, but my guess is it's just the conflicting entry for timeslot thing.
11:54<hfb>Chutt: I know, but waiting is the hard part.
11:55<Snow-Man>Since I get that shit every night myself. :)
11:55<thor>Chutt, destructors, those are WAY over rated
11:55<thor>what I do?
11:55<Chutt>hfb, still, you're going to have to wait until support gets added to stuff like libavcodec
11:55<Chutt>thor, i'm committing a fix in a bit, no worries
11:55<Chutt>MythThemedDialog's leaking the 'theme'
11:55<thor>ah
11:55<Chutt>VideoTree's leaking the 'video_tree_data'
11:56<thor>ahh
11:56<hfb>Chutt: I know. Thanks. :)
11:56<Snow-Man>Microcenter apparently doesn't carry the PVR-250..
11:56<Chutt>and GenericTree doesn't clean up after itself -- am i right that all those QPtrLists are the same, so i only need to clear out one of em?
11:56<Snow-Man>They have the 'WinTV PVR TV Tuner' for $219, and the 'WinTV PVR USB' for $199
11:56<odine>Snow-Man: so nothing that can be really done about it then? i figured maybe it was something with mysql....
11:56<Chutt>the biggest leak was in the inetcomms class, though, this is all small stuff
11:57<Snow-Man>odine: Well, what's the error, specifically?
11:57<thor>Chutt, I don't know ... will look
11:57<Chutt>snowman, the 'wintv pvr' is a different beastie, and doesn't work in linux
11:57<odine>Snow-Man: can i flood a bit in here erm?
11:57<Snow-Man>Chutt: It's more expensive than the pvr-250 anyway apparently.
11:57<Snow-Man>odine: The real error should only be a line or two at the bottom.
11:57<Chutt>right
11:58<Chutt>odine, paste one of the errors here
11:58<odine>well the last 2 lines are: Database error was: Duplicate entry '1019-20030616220000' for key 1
11:58<Chutt>yeah, you can pretty much safely ignore that
11:58<Chutt>if you really want to fix it, edit your xmltv config file in ~/.mythtv
11:58<Chutt>and delete the duplicate channel entries
11:59<rkulagow>snowman: try circuit city or office max. $149
11:59<Chutt>it's slightly cheaper at amazon, i believe
11:59<odine>ya i think id like to fix it... no guide information at all gets listed.. and the mythfilldatabase just keeps looping
11:59<Snow-Man>I'm amazed pricewatch hasn't got it.
11:59<rkulagow>also, my microcenter had some in the returns section.
11:59<Snow-Man>rkulagow: Yeah, I might go hunting through there.
11:59<Chutt>odine, it's not looping, look at the diffenent dates.
12:00<rkulagow>but mine was charging $100 (used), when you can get them new (after rebate) from other places.
12:00<odine>Chutt: hrmm.. duh thanks for pointing that out... stupid error on my half there... well thanks guys ;)
12:00<Snow-Man>Hmm.
12:00<thor>Chutt, each node owns it's subnodes, and has two pointers to it (my_subnodes, my_ordered_subnodes)
12:00<Chutt>ok
12:01<Chutt>i'm just clearing out my_subnodes, so it should be safe
12:01-!-odine [] has quit ["off to fill the database"]
12:02<thor>thanks
12:03<thor>btw, there are two so that bits of the tree can be re-ordered only as needed (otherwise pushing the 1 key would take a long time)
12:03<Chutt>yeah
12:07<thor>This may explain why my Dylan Thomas quote has never appeared on the console
12:08<Chutt>which quote?
12:08<thor>Rage, rage against the dying of the light
12:09-!-kiwi_uk [~kiwiuk@pc3-nfds1-6-cust201.nott.cable.ntl.com] has joined #mythtv
12:09<thor>ah no, that's the ManagedTreeList destructor
12:10<Snow-Man>You know, it's an odd question of if it'd be entirely legal for a cable company to use MythTV I think.
12:10<Snow-Man>At least, if they made modifications to it.
12:10<Snow-Man>That'd be kind of interesting though.
12:13-!-Drikus [~Drikus@cc45940-a.deven1.ov.home.nl] has joined #mythtv
12:13<Chutt>thor, mind if i remove that quote? =)
12:13<thor>no, that's fine
12:14<thor>=)
12:14<Chutt>it's showing up now
12:14<Chutt>at least in mythvideo
12:14<thor>yeah!
12:14<Chutt>and that class is leak free (now), far as i can tell
12:14<Snow-Man>bah! Chutt's putting the pressure on us! Censorship!
12:14<thor>double yeah!
12:14<thor>Speaking of legality ...
12:14<rkulagow>rage, rage against the machine that is chutt!
12:15<thor>have been fiddling with a "MythDVD"
12:15<Chutt>cool
12:15<thor>playing, but also ripping and re-encoding with transcode
12:15<thor>which is not terrifically useful without libdecss
12:15<Chutt>heh
12:15<thor>doesn't really work very well yet
12:16<Chutt>oh, i do like the "POSSIBLE MEMORY LEAK" comments in mythvideo
12:16<Chutt>think those are moegreen's, though =)
12:16<thor>yup
12:16<Chutt>there, mythvideo can be a plugin now
12:16<thor>so, how are we on docs that say "install transcode and Oogle, both of which really want libdecss ?
12:16<Chutt>thor, i probably can't redistribute all that stuff
12:16<Chutt>yah, that's fine
12:17<thor>cool
12:17<thor>makes up for loosing the Welsh literature
12:17<thor>=)
12:24<moegreen>Chutt: was it a leak? heh
12:25<Chutt>yeah
12:25<Chutt>no problems, though
12:25<Chutt>just fixed everything in mythvideo
12:25<Chutt>with that last commit
12:25<moegreen>cool
12:25<moegreen>:)
12:29<thor>how did mythweb "mess up" autoconf ?
12:29<thor>this is obviously not *the* Ken Thompson
12:31<Chutt>heh
12:32<Conaz>thor: I almost replied to that one, but where does one even begin...
12:32<Chutt>moegreen, updated cvs lately?
12:34<thor>Conaz, exactly ... step 1, go to the bank, withdraw all your money, and buy a clue
12:36<moegreen>Chutt: no I haven't recently - was going to do it in a little while.
12:36<Chutt>just wanted to make sure you're ok with my changes to mythweather and the other stuff
12:37<moegreen>ok, I'll look at it
12:38<moegreen>Chutt: is it mainly the stuff in main.cpp?
12:38<Chutt>yup
12:38<Chutt>all the plugin junk
12:40<Chutt>rkulagow, hey, did that fix last night actually work?
12:43<thor>woo hoo ... the market is cranking!
12:44-!-kiwi_uk [] has quit ["Peace and Protection 4.22"]
12:46-!-dopez [~unknown@dopez.xs4all.nl] has joined #mythtv
12:46<rkulagow>chutt: haven't had a chance to check yet. will let you know in a little bit.
12:47<Chutt>ok, thanks
12:48<Chutt>there we go
12:48<Chutt>mythmusic and mythgame are all that's left =)
12:49<Conaz>quite the productive weekend
12:50<thor>amazing, frankly
12:51<Chutt>thor, moegreen, the intent is to eventually stop using the QAccel stuff for keybindings, and use keyPressEvents instead
12:51<Chutt>i'll eventually convert all the older stuff, but could you keep that in mind for new code?
12:51<thor>yeah
12:52<Chutt>it'll make more configurable keybindings possible
12:53<thor>should we just start with a dummy function along the lines of if(e->key() == keyBindings("key_space"))
12:53<Chutt>i'm probably going to have a translation function somewhere
12:54<Chutt>take a key, translate it into an action
12:54<thor>k
12:54<Chutt>then the keyPressEvents will act on the actions, not the keys
12:54<thor>yup
13:16-!-kiwi_uk [~kiwiuk@pc3-nfds1-6-cust201.nott.cable.ntl.com] has joined #mythtv
13:19-!-chinande [~chinande@128.135.74.161] has joined #mythtv
13:39-!-dopez [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
13:51<thor>rkulagow, you around?
13:54<rkulagow>yes
13:55<Chutt>leaks abound!
13:55<Chutt>ah well
13:55<thor>just went out and bought fumbling towards ecstasy, which someone said had CD extra tracks on it.
13:55<thor>Chutt, mythmusic?
13:55<Chutt>yeah
13:55<rkulagow>chutt: i think i told you that. barenaked ladies was the other one?
13:55<rkulagow>duh, thor, not chutt.
13:56<thor>rkulagow, seems to be ripping just fine ... can you describe what your problem is exactly?
13:56<rkulagow>let me get it. hold on please.
13:56<thor>Chutt, into and out of edit playlist?
13:56<thor>or just all over ?
13:57<Chutt>all_music and all_playlists weren't getting deleted
13:57<Chutt>not _really_ leaks
13:57<Chutt>before, at least
13:57<thor>ah
13:57<Chutt>there's also stuff like the decoders
13:57<Chutt>that get allocated once
13:57<Chutt>and never get deallocated
13:57<thor>ah
13:58<rkulagow>thor: d'oh! it's not FTE that has the cd extra, it's "sarah mclachlan: the freedom sessions". sorry about that.
13:58<thor>oh
13:58<thor>well, suppose I could increase my collection
13:58<Chutt>heh
13:58<thor>as long as your sure on the title
13:59<rkulagow>"includes quicktime 2.0 for windows and macintosh computers"
13:59<rkulagow>it's pretty old.
13:59<thor>does it say that on the outside cover?
13:59-!-iopener5 [WTFdoYouWa@pcp01141076pcs.newhav01.mi.comcast.net] has joined #mythtv
14:00<rkulagow>it's on the back: "don't play track one. track one will play silence or static on audio cd players." track 1 is also listed as "cdrom multimedia preentation"
14:00<rkulagow>on the back cover.
14:00<thor>ok ...
14:00<thor>time for another walk while come code builds
14:00<thor>some
14:01-!-iopener5 [] has quit [Client Quit]
14:15-!-dopez [~unknown@dopez.xs4all.nl] has joined #mythtv
14:26-!-extremis [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
15:28<Chutt>hey thor?
15:38<Chutt>nevermind, i cheated
15:39<Chutt>was going to ask if the music settings stuff needed everything loaded
15:50<thor>setttings stuff?
15:50<Chutt>the config screens for it
15:51<Chutt>but, i cheated and took the 'scan music' off of there
15:51<Chutt>so they don't need the song data loaded
15:51<thor>got you
15:51<thor>amazon sucks
15:55<Chutt>there we go
15:55<Chutt>only mythgame's left, now
15:55<thor>wow
15:55<Conaz>Chutt: you are a machine!
15:56<Chutt>naw
15:56<Chutt>slow day at work
15:56<Conaz>Always nice to have those
15:56<Chutt>and this really is a lot easier than i thought it would be
15:56<thor>you see any deep flaws in MythThemedDialog ?
15:56<Chutt>nope
15:56<Conaz>glad to hear that
15:57<Chutt>do you want to convert some of the existing themed dialogs to use it?
15:57<thor>I was thinking
15:57<Chutt>should reduce the amount of code in other places a bit
15:57<thor>it's more straightforward than "Moegreen's way" (although all it does is automate all the work he did)
15:58<Chutt>well, yeah
15:58<Chutt>just does it all for you =)
15:58<Chutt>anyway, please bang on mythmusic a bit
15:58<Chutt>i'm not entirely certain i didn't cause any problems by fixing those leaks =)
15:58<thor>ok ...
15:59<Chutt>if you want to run _just_ mythmusic now, you have to do 'mythfrontend music'
15:59<Chutt>or 'mythfrontend mythmusic'
15:59<Chutt>which'll just load the music plugin
16:00<thor>updating ...
16:00<Chutt>all right
16:00<Chutt>time to de-leakify mythgame
16:00<Chutt>which, well, is fairly scary
16:00<thor>last on the list =)
16:00<Chutt>which is why i left it until last =)
16:00<thor>thought it might be
16:11<thor>rkulagow, no luck finding the CD on foot, just ordered it from Amazon. Fix before too long.
16:14<rkulagow>thor: ok
16:18-!-hfb [] has quit [orwell.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
16:19-!-hfb [~hfb@lsanca1-ar2-4-60-000-114.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
16:23<Chutt>oh good
16:24<Chutt>livetv -> epg still works ok
16:24<Chutt>i hadn't tested that at all =)
16:24<thor>there must be *something* that's well broken ?
16:24<Conaz>not to worry, I'm sure there are plenty of testers out there right now
16:25<Conaz>and I'm sure they won't be shy about what is broken
16:48-!-monkeyBox [~monkeyBox@ip68-102-26-60.ks.ok.cox.net] has joined #mythtv
16:49<monkeyBox>Help! For some reason, when viewing TV from a separate frontend, the audio gets out of sync and produces a strange echo effect.. Has anyone else experienced this? what can I do to solve it?
16:51<Conaz>Live TV or Recordings? Both?
16:51<monkeyBox>LiveTV, haven't tried a recording yet...
16:51<Conaz>How about running on the same box?
16:51<monkeyBox>doesn't happen on the local (backend) machine.
16:53<monkeyBox>I'm connected over a 100Mbit network
16:53<Chutt>try turning off/on the jitter reduction and/or aggressive soundcard buffering stuff
16:53<Chutt>those can hurt stuff sometimes
16:54<Chutt>on the remote frontend, that is
16:54<monkeyBox>ok I'll try it.. thanks
16:55<monkeyBox>What's experimental A/V sync?? (in the playback settings)?
16:55<Chutt>experimental a/v sync code =)
16:55<Chutt>basically, an enhancement to the jitter reduction stuff
16:56<monkeyBox>hmm.. I'll guess I'll try it if nothing else works.. thanks
16:56<Chutt>i wouldn't enable it
16:56-!-Conaz is now known as Conaz_
16:56<monkeyBox>oh ok
16:59<monkeyBox>hmm. I have jitter reduction and aggressive soundcard buffering both disabled.. enabling aggressive soundcard buffering didn't work... I'm trying it with jitter reduction enabled right now...
16:59<Chutt>otherwise, i don't know what it could be
17:00<monkeyBox>what does jitter reduction technically do? any idea?
17:00<Chutt>tries to more accurately sleep until the next frame should be shown
17:00<monkeyBox>damn whatever it does it didn't help either :-(
17:06<monkeyBox>this is stil pretty cool though... I'm able to watch TV right here on my laptop :)
17:07-!-mechou [~mchou@04-185.142.popsite.net] has joined #mythtv
17:08<Conaz_>been enlightening as always
17:08<mechou>names
17:09<Conaz_>time to head home
17:12-!-kiwi_uk [] has quit ["Peace and Protection 4.22"]
17:16-!-mechou [] has quit ["using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.2.4"]
17:20-!-Drikus [] has quit ["toedeledoki"]
17:52-!-hfb [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:13-!-bline [office-5@office.gossamer-threads.com] has joined #mythtv
18:28-!-dopez [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:31<thor>Chutt, you know a lot of people are going to complain, "Hey, I can't run mythX without the backend running" =)
18:31-!-techniq [~techniq@acs-24-154-143-226.zoominternet.net] has joined #mythtv
18:32<thor>eww, pure virtual function called
18:33<thor>f'ing SDL
18:37<techniq>can someone help me with getting my line-in to mute
18:37<techniq>no matter what i've tried, i can't get my audio set back up again (had it setup, but formatted recently and installed mythtv9)
18:37<thor>techniq, OSS or ALSA (and which mixer, and which soundcard)
18:37<techniq>also
18:37<techniq>alsa, sblive
18:38<techniq>used kmix, alsamixer(gui), and the commands for alsa
18:38<thor>and your getting delayed sound?
18:38<thor>you're
18:38<techniq>now i've got it where it echos
18:38<rkulagow>techniq: take a look at section 7.2 of the HOWTO
18:38<techniq>i've got it now where it won't turn off (has to be the raw line in audio, which shows to be muted in all 3)
18:39<techniq>i've ran through all of it
18:39<thor>tried O'Gain muted?
18:39<techniq>http://techniq.homelinux.com:8000/mute.jpg
18:39<techniq>if i mute igain, it mutes
18:40<thor>ok, that sounds good
18:40<techniq>but then i never hear anything
18:40<thor>igain up, but muted
18:40<thor>?
18:40<techniq>yeah
18:40<techniq>its 100%
18:41<thor>I can't be more specific, as I don't have any SB hardware
18:41<thor>haven't played with it
18:41<techniq>i had it working fine before i formatted, with .8.. i dunno
18:42<techniq>i'm gonna compile the new .21 kernel, maybe it will help
18:44<rkulagow>techniq: i doubt it. as i said, did you look at 7.2 of the HOWTO?
18:44<techniq>yeah
18:45<techniq>i typed in all those commands as they are
18:45<rkulagow>and when you run the amixer commands what happens?
18:45-!-bigguy [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:46<techniq>without the settings (as it just run amixer)?
18:47<techniq>just running amixer spits out about 30 lines of info
18:50<thor>Chutt, uhm ... this is messed up =)
18:50<Chutt>what'd i do?
18:50<thor>is audiooutput inherited by anything?
18:50<Chutt>audiooutputoss
18:51<thor>oh, I think I messed up my update
18:51<thor>in mythmusic ?
18:51<Chutt>err, no
18:51<Chutt>sorry, thought you were talking about mythtv
18:52<Chutt>oh, shoot
18:52<Chutt>is the audiooutput class in libmyth conflicting with the audiooutput class in mythmusic?
18:52<thor>I dunno, but audiooutput->initialize() is having problems =)
18:53<thor>hang on, I'm still bt'ing through stuff
18:53<Chutt>make sure it's using the audioouptut class in mythmusic, not libmyth
18:54<thor>is initialize pure virtual in libmyth
18:54<Chutt>yeah
18:54<Chutt>ok
18:54<Chutt>gimme a sec
18:54<Chutt>i'll fix that
18:54<thor>k
18:57<Chutt>ok
18:57<Chutt>should work now
18:57<Chutt>i think
18:57<Chutt>might have to rename the file
18:57<thor>update just music?
18:57<Chutt>yeah
18:58<thor>update, make distclean, ./configure ...., make
18:58<thor>...
18:58<Chutt>should be able to just compile
18:58<Chutt>no make clean
18:58<thor>too late
18:59<thor>I should have a little ticker somewhere that tells me how many times I've recompiled goom
18:59<thor>=)
19:04<thor>ah, that's better
19:05-!-moegreen [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
19:06-!-hfb [~hfb@lsanca1-ar2-4-60-000-114.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
19:07<thor>hmmm copying playlists seems a bit wonky
19:08<thor>plue disappearing keypresses
19:08<thor>plus
19:08<thor>I'll osrt it out
19:08<thor>sort
19:08<thor>(and learn to type)
19:11-!-techniq [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
19:14-!-bigguy [bigman@h10.129.39.162.ip.alltel.net] has joined #mythtv
19:14<thor>somehow the infoPressed() and numberPressed() signals are not making it out of listview
19:24-!-dopez [~unknown@dopez.xs4all.nl] has joined #mythtv
19:38<Chutt>any luck?
19:39<thor>yeah,
19:39<thor>the problem is when I added those new TreeItem types
19:39<thor>fixing it now
19:39<thor>I don't think anyone's been saving playlists for a while
19:40-!-schultmc [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
19:40<Chutt>sure?
19:40<Chutt>seems to work for me
19:40<Chutt>i think, at least
19:41<thor>copy active to new?
19:45<Chutt>never do that, really
19:45<Chutt>err
19:45<Chutt>nm
19:45<Chutt>yeah, that was working last night
19:45<Chutt>i think
19:45<Chutt>yeah
19:46<thor>dinner break, then I'll get it sorted
19:46<Chutt>hrm
19:46<Chutt>now it's not
19:46<Chutt>weird.
19:47-!-Ripp [~chris@209.194.224.236] has joined #mythtv
20:01-!-hfb [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
20:06-!-StarHeart [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
20:18-!-TheAsp [asp@CDR13-117.accesscable.net] has joined #mythtv
20:19<TheAsp>Uhh, what happened to fullscreen?
20:19<TheAsp>err... not fullscreen mode :P
20:20<TheAsp>is it going to come back?
20:20<TheAsp>or is it gone for good?
20:20-!-bigguy [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
20:23-!-bigguy [bigman@h187.129.39.162.ip.alltel.net] has joined #mythtv
20:25<Chutt>it's gone
20:25<Chutt>there's no need for it now
20:25<TheAsp>uhh
20:26<TheAsp>there isnt?
20:26<Chutt>nope
20:26* TheAsplooks at his desktop without tv in the corner
20:26<TheAsp>hmmm
20:26<Chutt>run everything at a smaller resolution, then
20:26<TheAsp>the gui?
20:26<TheAsp>the whole gui?
20:26<Chutt>everything.
20:26<Chutt>mythtv
20:27<TheAsp>21:26:30 <synthpunk> why the hell would they do that
20:27* TheAspagrees
20:27<Chutt>hrm?
20:27<Chutt>the video playback is the same as the mythtv gui resolution
20:27<Chutt>it runs in the same window
20:27<TheAsp>oh, well thats sorta neat.
20:27<TheAsp>but a real pain :)
20:27<Chutt>if you don't want it fullscreen, lower the resolution in the setup
20:27<Chutt>only if you're stupid
20:27<TheAsp>I am stupid?
20:27<Chutt>yup
20:27<TheAsp>Gee thanks chutt.
20:28<Chutt>i'm sorry i spent my entire saturday improving the codebase
20:28<Chutt>i'll try not to do that in the future
20:28<TheAsp>Not like i've wasted my time too...
20:28<TheAsp>Ask a simple question, get called stupid.
20:30<TheAsp>Why would i want it not to be able to be full screen then?
20:30<Chutt>why would you want to run the UI at one resolution and the video at another?
20:31<TheAsp>because i want to do other stuff while watching tv?
20:31<TheAsp>and sometimes i want it to be full screen when im not doing other stuff
20:31<Chutt>so go into the settings and switch resolutions
20:31<Chutt>it's not exactly difficult to do so
20:31<TheAsp>there used to be a key for that ....
20:31<Chutt>no, there didn't
20:31<TheAsp>f
20:31<Chutt>you couldn't change the UI resolution with the f key
20:32<TheAsp>but you could change the window size :)
20:39-!-Viddy [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
20:39<Chutt>yeah
20:39<Chutt>there's just no longer a distinction between the ui and video playback
20:39<Chutt>hell, i'm even adding a toggle for it to be in a regular window with a border and stuff
20:40<bline>and hide the mouse or not?
20:41<Chutt>yeah
20:41<Chutt>hide it
20:41<Chutt>non resizeable
20:41<ahbritto>Wahoo! Thank you!
20:41<Chutt>but it'll have a border, which some people seem to want
20:42<ahbritto>I use a monitor, not my TV. ..
20:42<Chutt>so do i when i'm working on it
20:42<ahbritto>And gnome...
20:42<Chutt>just have a whole virtual desktop dedicated to it
20:42-!-Viddy [david@visp194-179.visp.co.nz] has joined #mythtv
20:43<TheAsp>i've had 0 issues with myth and gnome
20:44<Chutt>i wonder how i broke the playlist stuff
20:44<ahbritto>I've notice fastforward stutters even when the card can handle it. It this a known issue?
20:45<Chutt>what, holding down fastforward, get snippits of audio while it's going?
20:45<ahbritto>I have sticky on, and at x1.5 and x2 it stutters picture and audio.
20:46<ahbritto>Running 0.9.1..
20:47<Chutt>it's not supposed to play back smooth
20:47<Chutt>it's just seeking forward every so often
20:47<ahbritto>It could (hardware/cpu wise).
20:48<ahbritto>I have mistakenly played video at the wrong rate, and seen it quite soomth, that is.
20:48<Chutt>right
20:49<Chutt>it's not even attempting to do that, here
20:49<ahbritto>Future feature?
20:49<Chutt>not one i'm planning on, no
20:49<Chutt>i do accept patches, though :p
20:49<ahbritto>I was looking at the source for the first time yesterday.
20:50<ahbritto>I was considering dpms and ivtv bit rate patches.
20:50<Chutt>i'm not going to do anything with the ivtv stuff until there's a real api to do so
20:50<ahbritto>bline said you wanted the interface to stablize before doing ...
20:50<Chutt>right
20:51<ahbritto>It would be nice if there was a list of things in progress, on hold, and to do. To make it clear to someone who wants
20:51<ahbritto>to help.
20:52<Chutt>just listen in on here
20:52<ahbritto> :)
20:52<Chutt>and that'll be everything in progress
20:52<Chutt>there's lots of stuff that random people have said they're going to do
20:52<Chutt>but that never happens
20:53<ahbritto>I've contributed some doc to rkulagow, I will look further at the code base, but I don't know if I'll be doing coding yet.
20:53<Chutt>so i'd be hesitant to put up an official list for stuff like that
20:53<ahbritto>ok
21:02<Chutt>if you're looking for something to write
21:02<Chutt>a menu widget for the OSD would be excellent
21:02<Chutt>it'd get rid of most of the key bindings in tv mode, make it simpler all 'round
21:03<Chutt>well, not get rid of them, as it'd be best to keep them, but it'd lower the number of keys required to use more features
21:04<ahbritto>My background is Gnome, learning another toolset is too resource intensive right now. :(
21:04<Chutt>this wouldn't be any toolset :p
21:04<Chutt>just the internal osd code
21:05<ahbritto>What primatives do you use to draw?
21:05<Chutt>just have a couple simple objects -- images, text, boxes
21:06<Chutt>the osd has to stay fairly simple, else it starts eating up CPU time
21:07<Chutt>since it has to get copied to the video so often
21:07<ahbritto>I don't have much time, but perhaps I can dedicate a full day or two of programming. Let me get more familiar with
21:08<Chutt>yeah, no matter
21:08<ahbritto>the code base first and then pick a project.
21:08<Chutt>that's just something i'm wishing someone would contribute =)
21:08<ahbritto>I can probably do a menu thing in a day or two. I'm pretty fast with very few bugs.
21:08<Chutt>certainly -- it should be really easy
21:09<ahbritto>But, I might want to work on things I find painful to use first.
21:09<Chutt>sure
21:09<Chutt>of course =)
21:09<ahbritto> :)
21:11<ahbritto>Currently, I hate needing to use the keyboard, and I don't have a remote.
21:11<Chutt>mouse control's not really going to happen easily
21:11<ahbritto>I also dislike the lack of progress when the rebuffering is occurring.
21:12<ahbritto>Lack of feedback that is.
21:12<Chutt>could probably get rid of the need to pause quite so long, there, too
21:13<ahbritto>Actually, the web interface is very mouse driven.
21:13<Chutt>right, but the rest of the stuff isn't, and it's not written for a mouse in mind
21:13<ahbritto>yes.
21:13<Chutt>and would be quite difficult to add, i'd think
21:13<thor>Chutt, there be some scope for a MythDesktop
21:14<Chutt>scope?
21:14<thor>usefulness
21:14<thor>separate app
21:14<Chutt>whaddya mean by desktop?
21:14<Chutt>ah
21:14<Chutt>right
21:14<Chutt>ben bucksch sorta has started that
21:14<ahbritto>A few buttons on the window would be nice: pause, play, FF, REW, cycle through channels.
21:14<Chutt>but he's using kylix
21:14<thor>Qt, with some exisitng widgets, mouse drag and drop for playlists, connect to different backends, etc.
21:15<Chutt>aye
21:15<thor>not that I've started it or anything
21:15<ahbritto>I also although I don't understand how buffering works yet, I thought It didn't need to be cleared on channel change.
21:15<Chutt>not something i'd write, though
21:15<Chutt>ahbritto, it clears it because that was the easiest way to handle the channel change
21:15<thor>but if someone was really clever, they could make it compile under Qt/Windows as well
21:15<Chutt>that was something else i was promised a patch for =)
21:16<Chutt>thor, i'm sure the current stuff'd compile under qt/windows with appropriate sound/video output code
21:16<ahbritto>So, my plan is to study the source a bit and see which itch is most productive to stratch...
21:17<Chutt>hrm
21:17<Chutt>i think i'm all caught up on patches now
21:17<Chutt>aside from ramon/leandro's tuning stuff, which i'm still holding off on
21:17<Chutt>thor, i think my mem leak stuff broke the playlists
21:18<Chutt>sorry =)
21:18<thor>yeah, I think so ... just solving one other thing then I'll sort it out
21:18<Snow-Man>ok, I'm thinking about fucking with realy.
21:18<Snow-Man>err, relay too.
21:18<Chutt>cool
21:18<Chutt>snowman, how long do you think it'll take?
21:19<Snow-Man>Probably take me another 10-20 minutes at least to finish setting up the new machine then another 30 minutes or so to put it in place.
21:19<ahbritto>Chutt, this is probably kind of late to bring up, but have you consider moving to the Boehm GC?
21:19<Chutt>nope
21:20<ahbritto>I find myself much more productive with it and no more memory leaks.
21:20<Chutt>the leaks i'm talking about are because someone *cough* doesn't write destructors all that often =)
21:20<ahbritto>heh.
21:21<thor>Yeah moegreen!
21:21<Chutt>and most of em didn't matter, since they were only long term leaks that would only have come up now
21:21<Chutt>ie, single allocation stuff
21:21<bline>valgrind is nice
21:21<thor>My tilde key was broken
21:21<Chutt>yeah, that's what i've been using
21:21<ahbritto>I like the GC because overall it means less code and less code is less errors and less programming time.
21:22<Chutt>except for all the random xft/qt 'leaks'
21:22<Chutt>paging through those got old =)
21:22<bline>didn't the people that wrote kde write valgrind?
21:22<Chutt>it's a kde guy, yah
21:23<thor>hmmm ... deleakified mmusic does not like some visualizers
21:23<Chutt>which ones?
21:23<Chutt>goom and synaesthesia are ok here
21:23<bline>I would think he would have added a workaround for qt stuff then
21:24<Chutt>bline, yeah, i dunno
21:24<thor>Goom
21:24<thor>dead every time
21:24<thor>if that's the only one
21:24<thor>gdb'ing
21:25<thor>Goom::resize() and then some SDL stuff
21:26<thor>all the way down to X11_CreateWindow()
21:26-!-thor [] has quit [Killed (NickServ (Nickname Enforcement))]
21:27-!-thor_ [~thor@208.185.11.34] has joined #mythtv
21:28<Chutt>hrm
21:28<Chutt>hrm hrm hrm
21:28<Chutt>might be the putenv
21:29<Chutt>probably is, in fact
21:29<thor_>this may be naive, but should we be calling a CreateWindow() ?
21:30<Chutt>where?
21:30<Chutt>ah
21:30<thor_>no, just from bt
21:30<Chutt>no, it shouldn't be
21:30<Chutt>but, i don't know how sdl works internally
21:34-!-rkulagow__ [~rkulagow@12-206-155-239.client.attbi.com] has joined #mythtv
21:37<Chutt>the whole SDL displaying to a random window thing's a nasty hack, anyway
21:38<Chutt>thor, can you try current CVS with that crash?
21:38<Chutt>erk
21:38<Chutt>one sec
21:39<Chutt>ok, now =)
21:39<thor_>distclean?
21:40<Chutt>shouldn't need to, long as it recompiles mythgoom.o and synaesthesia.o
21:40<thor_>yup
21:40<Chutt>i just changed the putenv to a setenv
21:40<Snow-Man>Alright, I wanna put a halfway recent kernel on relay first, so it'll take a bit longer to prep.
21:41<thor_>segfault
21:41<thor_>bt'ing
21:41<thor_>same ... and yes I did a make install
21:42<Chutt>weird
21:42<thor_>let me do a whole compile recycle
21:42<Chutt>and this was working before?
21:43<thor_>definitely
21:43<thor_>with that start out as blank bit
21:43<thor_>"Blank"
21:44<Chutt>hrmph
21:47<Chutt>you're using 1.2.x of sdl, right?
21:47<thor_>1.2.5
21:48<thor_>same thing after a distclean and compile, you want bt
21:49<Chutt>is your SDL compiled for debug?
21:49<Chutt>like, line number in X11_CreateWindow where it dies? =)
21:49<thor_>no, but it could be =)
21:49<Chutt>that'd probably be best, i think
21:49<thor_>hang on
21:50<Chutt>it should be going through X11_CreateWindow, though
21:50<Chutt>from what i can tell with the source
21:51<thor_>ah, it is (SDL --enable-debug is apparently the default)
21:51<Chutt>cool
21:51<Chutt>so where's it dyin? =)
21:51<thor_>SDL_x11video.c:713
21:52<Chutt>SDL_ReallocFormat()?
21:52<Chutt>can i get the bt?
21:52<thor_>http://www.sigvaldason.com/mmcrash.txt
21:53<Chutt>mind doing it as a bt full?
21:53<thor_>ok
21:54<thor_> http://www.sigvaldason.com/mmcrash.txt
21:55<Chutt>thanks
21:56<Chutt>hrm
21:56<Chutt>are you still in gdb?
21:56<thor_>yup
21:56<Chutt>print SDL_Window
21:56<thor_>No symbol
21:56<Chutt>try SDL_windowid
21:57<thor_>nope
21:57<Chutt>hrm
21:57<Chutt>can you get an environment variable from gdb?
21:57<thor_>?
21:57<thor_>you're asking me?
21:57<Chutt>yeah
21:57<Chutt>do you know if you can =)
21:58<thor_>I barely remember that the debugger is called gdb
21:59<Chutt>ah
21:59<Chutt>'show env'
21:59<thor_>lots there
21:59<Chutt>what's the SDL_WINDOWID var say?
21:59<Chutt>show env SDL_WINDOWID
21:59<thor_>not defined
22:00<Chutt>allllrighty
22:03<Chutt>hrmph
22:03<Chutt>i don't know :(
22:04-!-CaptMidnight [~CaptMidni@orbnmid.ne.client2.attbi.com] has joined #mythtv
22:04<Chutt>like, i know why it's dying there, vis isn't a valid pointer
22:04<thor_>time for native visualizers ?
22:04<Chutt>but
22:04<Chutt>naw, Qt's too slow
22:05<Chutt>in mythgoom.cpp, after the setenv, can you add: cout << getenv("SDL_WINDOWID") << endl;
22:06<Chutt>and the same after the call to SDL_Init()
22:06<CaptMidnight>I am having a mythfrontend problem with today's cvs where if I schedule a recording the front end locks up after asking if I want to watch while recording, has anyone seen this type of problem?
22:06<Chutt>captmidnight, nope
22:06<Chutt>debug it.
22:06<CaptMidnight>what would be a good way to debug it?
22:06<Chutt>i dunno
22:06<Chutt>gdb, most likely
22:06<CaptMidnight>it doesn't segmentation fault or anything along those lines
22:06<CaptMidnight>it just hangs
22:07<Chutt>what's that have to do with it?
22:07<Chutt>hanging is just as easy to debug as a segfault with gdb..
22:07<thor_>after SDL_Init inside the condition ?
22:07<Chutt>naw, outside of it
22:07<thor_>right (duh!)
22:07<Chutt>unless you're getting that error message?
22:08<thor_>no
22:08<Chutt>ok, didn't think so
22:08<Snow-Man>Alright, attempting to build a kernel. Let's hope my box doesn't fall over.
22:09<thor_>both work
22:09<thor_>both are the same
22:09<Chutt>hrm
22:09<thor_>both are 35652136
22:09<Chutt>shoot, sorry, wanted to print out winid
22:09<Chutt>as well
22:09<thor_>hang on
22:10<thor_>just that long int (winid)
22:10<Chutt>yup
22:10<Chutt>well
22:10<Chutt>need the putenv and winid
22:10<Chutt>together, since the window id's going to change
22:11<thor_>all four same number
22:11<Chutt>hrmph
22:12<thor_>in fact, same number as last run
22:12<thor_>35652136
22:12<thor_>which I'm sure is of no consequence =)
22:12<Chutt>yeah
22:12-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
22:12<Chutt>doesn't matter, really
22:12<Chutt>hrm
22:13<thor_>ah ha
22:13<thor_>solved the playlist saving to new
22:13<Chutt>cool
22:13<thor_>you and your darned destructors
22:13<Chutt>sorry =)
22:13<Chutt>can you try adding: show() to the end of MainVisual's constructor?
22:14<thor_>just show()
22:14<Chutt>yeah
22:14<Chutt>like
22:14<Chutt>my only thought is maybe that's not a valid window id
22:14<Chutt>or something
22:14<thor_>ah, Qt bit
22:15<thor_>hang on
22:15<Chutt>yup
22:15<thor_>nope
22:15<thor_>ah, hang on no make install that time
22:15<thor_>still nope
22:16<Chutt>ok, remove that show()
22:16<thor_>k
22:16<thor_>and put one in goom stuff somewhere ?
22:17<Chutt>line 316 of mainvisual.cpp
22:17<Chutt>vis = fact->create(parent, winid);
22:17<Chutt>make that vis = fact->create(parent, gContext->GetMainWindow()->WinId());
22:17<Chutt>err, winId()
22:17<Chutt>sorry
22:18<Chutt>eh
22:18<Chutt>no, that's not it
22:18<thor_>invalid use of ....
22:19<thor_>undefined type `struct MythMainWindow'
22:19<thor_>forward declaration
22:19<thor_>blah blah blah
22:20<Chutt>'sec
22:24<Chutt>do you have it set for just goom, or is it random?
22:24<thor_>just goom now
22:24<Chutt>http://ijr.dnsalias.org/music.diff
22:24<Chutt>try that tiny little patch
22:25<Chutt>shouldn't show anything if it works, but i'm hoping it still doesn't crash
22:25<Chutt>doesn't crash still, rather
22:26<thor_>got some failures
22:26<thor_>hang on
22:26<Chutt>that was against clean cvs
22:26<Chutt>sorry =)
22:26<Chutt>it's just what i asked last done right
22:27<thor_>cvs is creaky
22:27<Chutt>heh
22:27<Chutt>going to put that playlists bugfix in there soon? =)
22:28<thor_>just deleted it
22:28<thor_>rm, update, patch
22:28<thor_>it's a one line fix though
22:28<thor_>runs!
22:28<thor_>spoke too soon
22:28<thor_>Seg fault
22:29<thor_>bt?
22:29<Chutt>sure
22:29<Chutt>same thing?
22:29<thor_>looks like
22:29<Chutt>damn
22:29<Chutt>how hard is it for you to recompile sdl?
22:29<thor_>just time
22:29<thor_>np
22:30<thor_>no, different spot
22:30<thor_>hang on
22:31<thor_>http://www.sigvaldason.com/mmcrash2.txt
22:34<Chutt>where'd it die?
22:35<Snow-Man>Alright, I think relay is about ready.
22:37<thor_>where it's die?
22:37<thor_>select_zoom_filter() ?
22:37<Chutt>yeah
22:37<thor_>played a few seconds
22:38<thor_>but I didn't hit any other keys or anything
22:39<Chutt>i dunno
22:39<Chutt>i'm stumped
22:39-!-Ripp [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
22:40<thor_>crappy goom code
22:40<Chutt>well
22:40<Chutt>synaesthesia should die the same
22:40<Chutt>well, without that patch i posted
22:41<thor_>it's fine with the patch
22:41<thor_>if I back it out ...
22:41-!-Ripp [~ripp@209.194.224.236] has joined #mythtv
22:42<Snow-Man>Alright
22:43<Snow-Man>I think I'm gonna take down sendmail on the old relay.
22:43<Chutt>mailing list going down?
22:43<Snow-Man>Then I need to copy the queue over, shut down the old box, shut down the new box, and move the box into place.
22:43<thor_>segfault on syneathesia as well
22:43<Snow-Man>Chutt: That ok?
22:44<Chutt>of course
22:45<Chutt>thor, yeah
22:45<Snow-Man>Good. :)
22:45<Chutt>do you get a BadWindow error, btw?
22:45<thor_>yes
22:45<Snow-Man>sendmail going down.
22:46<Chutt>ok
22:46<Chutt>so, essentially, the winid parameter that it's getting is bad
22:46<Chutt>which is why it's dying
22:46<thor_>Chutt, as a (fairly obvious) data point, everything else works as fast as I can hit 6
22:46<Snow-Man>Alright, sendmail down.
22:47<thor_>Well, gears does give Bad Window, but it's always done that
22:48<CaptMidnight>when I go into the mythgallery and come back my fonts are suddenly small in the view recordings area, is there a way to reset the fonts without restarting the frontend?
22:49<Chutt>CaptMidnight, you should revert to 0.9
22:49<CaptMidnight>0.9 and 0.91 caused the same problems with all bug gallery
22:49<Chutt>no they didn't
22:49<Chutt>since it was a separate application before, it could have absolutely no affect on the fonts in the main application
22:49<CaptMidnight>for the frontend issue I had they did
22:50<CaptMidnight>the gallery changing the fonts is new
22:50<Chutt>you shouldn't be using cvs unless you're able to code.
22:50<Chutt>and able to debug things
22:51<CaptMidnight>I can code just fine, I asked a question if there was a way to reset the font without restarting the frontend
22:51<Chutt>the font gets reset every single window that changes
22:52<CaptMidnight>fine then I will look into why the font didn't reset then
22:52<Chutt>very good
22:53<Chutt>thor, anyway
22:54<thor_>I'm just checking out a clean tree to get my one line commit in =)
22:54<Chutt>thing to do is figure out why that window isn't valid
22:54<thor_>yup
22:54<thor_>I will poke around
22:55<Chutt>and, thanks for fixing that other bug
22:56<thor_>just the popup getting (properly) deleted before it could copy the name out
22:56<Chutt>ah
22:56<Chutt>coulda sworn i tested that
23:01<thor_>well, that's in (probably won't hear about it for a while as the mail lists are down)
23:02<Chutt>excellent
23:03-!-TheAsp [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
23:03<thor_>So you're saying goom works perfectly at your end?
23:03<Chutt>yup
23:05<Chutt>i even dropped down into 16 bit mode like you're running in
23:07-!-dopez [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
23:07<Snow-Man>God fucking damnit.
23:07<Chutt>first thing i'd look at is if the SDL_windowid variable in X11_CreateWindow was the same thing as the environment variable
23:08<Chutt>and SDL_Window
23:09<thor_>not sure we want X11_CreateWindow to happen at all
23:09<Chutt>we do
23:09<thor_>ok
23:09<Chutt>it's not actually creating the window in this case
23:10<thor_>i'm rebuilding that fresh tree for debugging
23:10<Chutt>it's using the passed in window id to get the attributes of it
23:10<Chutt>and pretending internally that it created it
23:12<Snow-Man>This new relay should definitely do better than that old piece of shit.
23:12<Chutt>how's the transition going?
23:13<Snow-Man>Well, considering the old relay apparently has this small problem of not being able to transfer more than 20k at a time, not too bad.
23:13<Chutt>heh
23:13<Snow-Man>I think it's probably a kernel bug with the network driver or something.
23:13<Snow-Man>Might also be the fact that it's a 10baseT card on a 100BaseT network but the switches are *supposted* to be able to handle that.
23:14<Snow-Man>Won't matter soon though, I'm finally almost done copying the mail queue.
23:14<Chutt>i think i'm going to lose power here
23:14<Snow-Man>Fun.
23:14<thor_>thunderstorm ?
23:15<Chutt>nope
23:15<Chutt>bad power company
23:16<thor_>just got a spam about putting and end to spam
23:16<Snow-Man>Alright, shutting down the old relay.
23:17<Snow-Man>Shutting down the new box
23:17<Snow-Man>Moving stuff, afk.
23:25<Snow-Man>Well.
23:25<Snow-Man>That could have been planned better.
23:26<Chutt>didn't work?
23:26<Snow-Man>More like it was a pain in the ass to get the machine actually into the rack.
23:26<Chutt>ah
23:26<Snow-Man>Don't know yet if it worked.
23:26<Snow-Man>It's booting tho.
23:26<Chutt>i see.
23:27<thor_>that 19" thing always seems to be give or take enough to make it a hassle
23:27<Snow-Man>Things appear to be working so far...
23:28<Snow-Man>Lemme reset www.
23:29<Snow-Man>Alright, mail's being flushed to relay from www.
23:30<thor_>OK, I have SDL hacked to print out SDL_windowid, what should I be comparing it to?
23:31<Chutt>'member those values before in mythgoom.cpp?
23:31<thor_>oh yeah
23:31<thor_>those were big, this is printing 51
23:31<thor_>what's the printf for a long int?
23:31<Chutt>so, that's the problem =)
23:31<Chutt>ld
23:31<Snow-Man>Alright, things appear to be working, going to attempt to move the rack into plcae.
23:31<thor_>hang on
23:32<Snow-Man>+back
23:32<Chutt>shouldn't matter, though
23:32<Chutt>snowman, cool =)
23:33<Snow-Man>Alright, that seemed to work alright.
23:33<thor_>ah no, it's only an int
23:33<thor_>so sayeth gcc
23:34<Chutt>what'd you add to sdl?
23:34<thor_>I line at the top of that function
23:34<Snow-Man>Alright, ns's queue has been flushed to relay.
23:34<Chutt>what line, though?
23:34<Chutt>SDL_windowid is a string
23:34<mdz_>the CVS conflict beast rears its ugly head
23:34<Snow-Man>www's queue has been flushed to relay.
23:35<Snow-Man>Well, more-or-less.
23:36<thor_>hmmm
23:37<thor_>back to 35652136
23:37<Chutt>mdz, what conflicted?
23:37<thor_>printf("I see SDL_windowid as %s\n", SDL_windowid);
23:37<mdz_>Chutt: just a couple of small things
23:37<mdz_>I started working on overrides
23:37<Chutt>ah
23:37<mdz_>programinfo.h and cvs.sql
23:38<Chutt>thor, i dunno :(
23:39<thor_>will keep looking
23:39<Chutt>maybe add that show() to MainVisual's constructor
23:39<Chutt>and maybe add a processEvents() somewhere in there before it goes to construct the goom vis
23:40<Chutt>just to make sure that that window is getting displayed
23:40<Chutt>widget
23:40<Chutt>i can try to rewrite things so that the vis stuff isn't in a widget of its own
23:40<Chutt>so it uses the main window directly
23:40<Chutt>perhaps
23:41-!-Ripp [] has quit ["3% battery...that's my cue!"]
23:43<Chutt>thor, did you check to see if it's the same windowid in there that it is in mythgoom.cpp?
23:43<thor_>think so
23:43<thor_>hang on
23:43<thor_>I'm so much for process events
23:45<thor_>winid == SDL_windowid == 35652136
23:45<Chutt>ok
23:45<Chutt>just checking
23:46<Chutt>so the window must not be on screen
23:46<Chutt>or something
23:46<thor_>Snow-man, mail is flowing here
23:47<Snow-Man>Cool.
23:48-!-activelow [~fred@CPE-65-30-205-174.wi.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
23:48<thor_>my X Error is: X Error: BadWindow (***invalid Window parameter***) 3 (emphasis added)
23:49<activelow>anyone know why when the tuner type is modprobed as type=2 the bttv module says "using tuner=19" ?
23:49<Chutt>might want to add a tuner=2 to the bttv load line
23:49<activelow>ATI TV Wonder/VE which is tuner type 2
23:50<activelow>Chutt: I'm doing a modprobe bttv type=2 radio=0 card=64
23:50<activelow>Chutt: with type it gives me Warning: ignoring type=2, no such parameter in this module
23:51<Chutt>right. which is why i said 'tuner=2'
23:51<thor_>type != tuner
23:51<activelow>doh..
23:51<activelow>sorry long night. :)
23:51<Chutt>np
23:52<activelow>fixed me up... thanks..
23:54-!-activelow [] has quit ["Client exiting"]