Back to Home / #mythtv / 2003 / 06 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2003-06-25

00:00<WizFactor>Ok, I am thoroughly confused now... I've got mythtv installed via the .debs, and so I've apparently got all the debs, but my /usr/lib/qt3 dir doesn't seem to be properly populated
00:01<WizFactor>Not sure how I screwed that up, but it means I can't run CVS
00:22<mdz_>the only thing in /usr/lib/qt3 that you need is libqsqlmysql.so
00:22<mdz_>which is in the qt mysql deb
00:22<mdz_>which is depended upon by the mythtv debs
00:25<WizFactor>rob@sully:~/cvs/mythtv/mythtv$ make
00:25<WizFactor>make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/qt3/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed by `Makefile'. Stop.
00:25<WizFactor>rob@sully:~/cvs/mythtv/mythtv$ ls /usr/lib/qt3/
00:25<WizFactor>plugins
00:25<Chutt>you're missing some -dev debs
00:26<WizFactor>But which ones? the mythtv debs are installed, so everything should be there
00:26<WizFactor>and my checking seems to say it is, but I must be missing something
00:26<Chutt>the mythtv debs don't need the -dev debs
00:26<WizFactor>ah
00:26<Chutt>as they're already compiled
00:27<WizFactor>doh...shoulda known that
00:30-!-mechou [~mchou@01-134.142.popsite.net] has joined #mythtv
00:36<mdz_>WizFactor: add the deb-src line to sources.list and run apt-get build-dep mythtv
00:36<mdz_>"run CVS" != "compile mythtv"
00:42<WizFactor>Ok, I was missing a couple -dev directories, but nothing qt related...and nothing that fixed my problem
00:48<mdz_>your QTDIR is set wrong
00:48<mdz_>it should be /usr/share/qt3, not /usr/lib/qt3
00:49<mdz_>/usr/share/doc/libqt3-mt-dev/README.Debian.gz
00:49<WizFactor>Ah...
00:49<WizFactor>I was just going by http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-4.html
00:50<WizFactor>No wonder I've been beating my head against the wall all day
00:58-!-moegreen [~jdanner@nr4-66-161-167-80.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
01:14-!-SebLappy [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
01:15-!-SebLappy [~SebLappy@c-66-56-70-46.atl.client2.attbi.com] has joined #mythtv
01:22<extremis>So, does anyone here use the echostar 6000 receiver?
01:24-!-mechou [] has quit ["using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.2.4"]
01:30-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
01:32-!-mechou [~mchou@01-134.142.popsite.net] has joined #mythtv
01:45<-- mechou(~mchou@01-134.142.popsite.net) has left #mythtv
01:47-!-tmk [~no@ip-64-139-6-119.dsl.sca.megapath.net] has joined #mythtv
01:47-!-tmk is now known as tmk-away
01:54-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
02:14<tdb30_>I'm still on the fence about mythtv and freevo....
02:14-!-moegreen [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
02:14<Chutt>so try them both.
02:17<tdb30_>I was thinking about that.
02:17<tmk-away>evening chutt
02:17-!-tmk-away is now known as tmk
02:17<Chutt>hi
02:17<tdb30_>I'm not sure about the database stuff in myth though looks liek work to get it setup
02:17<Chutt>tdb30_, it's only difficult if you're a total moron
02:17<Chutt>most people aren't, though
02:17<tdb30_>guilty
02:18<tmk>aww cmon.. tell him what you really think ;)
02:18<Chutt>since every distribution will set up mysql for you
02:18<Chutt>there's mythtv packages for every major distribution that do almost all the work
02:18<tdb30_>well I guess I have a couple more days to go before I work on that part. Tomorow I'm going to tackle the remote control stuff
02:19<tmk>chutt: speaking of remotes.. have you heard of anyone tweaking hauppauge's cards to accept normal remotes?
02:19<Chutt>tmk, i believe the stuff they use to decode only does the rc-5 protocl
02:19<tmk>as-is they only listen for the hauppauge-provided ones :<
02:19<tmk>hmm that's useful
02:19<Chutt>philips/marantz equipment
02:19<tmk>ya
02:20<tmk>hopefully i can set my universal up to a philips satellite mode
02:20<tmk>and the card will grab it
02:20<Chutt>that's what i do
02:20<tmk>ah excellent!
02:20<tmk>i have a learning remote
02:20<tmk>but still
02:20<Chutt>tmk, you need to revise your docs to get rid of the 'you must recompile your kernel with v4l2' junk
02:21<Chutt>it'd save a lot of grief :p
02:21<tmk>is that still in there?
02:21<tmk>heh
02:21<tmk>i tried to pawn off docs to someone else
02:21<tmk>they seem to be.. less than enthusiastic
02:21<Chutt> The kernel must have V4L2 support so if you have the standard 2.4.20 distribution you must obtain the V4L2 patches from http://bytesex.org/patches and recompile the kernel to enable V4L2 support.
02:21<tmk>hmm
02:21<Chutt>from the faq, so, ya :p
02:21<tmk>yes that's wrong
02:22<tmk>lots of mail today
02:22<tmk>i should also put up a note "kx133 and kt133 chipsets are known to have problems"
02:22<Chutt>and kt266 and kt400
02:22<Chutt>depending on the user's hardware
02:22<tmk>heh
02:22<tmk>or
02:22<tmk>"all chipsets are known to have problems"
02:22<Chutt>heh
02:22<tmk>>:)
02:23<Chutt>this nforce is _completely_ solid, aside from when i'm recording
02:23<Chutt>and that only happens occasionally
02:23<tmk>yeah.. i'm not doing anything wierd tho
02:23<Chutt>very, very occasionally
02:23<tmk>just dma
02:23<Chutt>well, i've been using the thing for a year or so with analog capture
02:23<tmk>yeah but that's not dma is it
02:23<tmk>just mmap
02:23<Chutt>gotta get data off the card somehow, no?
02:23<tmk>mmap isn't dma
02:24<tmk>mmap maps the pci memory of the card to a user addressable space
02:24<tmk>then the user just reads data directly from the card
02:24<Chutt>ah
02:24<tmk>dma has something automated push the data to main memory
02:24<tmk>so the cpu can do other stuff
02:25<tmk>i think the dma load of the HD plus the dma of the card to memory might push the via stuff too hard
02:25<Chutt>very likely
02:25<tmk>i've been thinking about making an mmap solution
02:26<Chutt>oh, also for the docs
02:26<tmk>but i'd rather have tv-out
02:26<tmk>ya?
02:26<Chutt>probably be good to note that you need the tuner.o module, easiest way to get is to have bttv compiled as a module
02:26<tmk>hmm yeah not a bad idea
02:27<Chutt>had some idiot in here before ranting about that not being in your docs :p
02:27<tmk>anyone know how to tell VI that it's always a dark background?
02:27<tmk>ie to hardcode :set background=dark
02:27<bline>~/.vimrc
02:27<Chutt>'course, he insisted that the sourceforge mailing list archives weren't searchable
02:27<tmk>haha people get so bent out of shape when their free software isn't 100% to their liking
02:28<tmk>http://www.poptix.net/ivtv
02:28<tmk>is better
02:28<tmk>for searching
02:28<Chutt>yeah, but the sf archives are there
02:28<Chutt>and linked and stuff
02:28<tmk>yeah they don''t have everything tho
02:28<Chutt>is there a link to poptix's stuff on the site at all?
02:28<tmk>i think in the faq
02:28* blineoffered to archive ivtv list
02:28<tmk>if not i'll put it in
02:28<tmk>poptix is fine :)
02:28<tmk>bline: how's the ui?
02:28<tmk>audio in yet?
02:29<bline>it's the same way it was yesterday night when i left it
02:30<tmk>heh
02:30<tmk>well i won't bug ya till i do more coding
02:30<bline>I was waiting on the audio stuff to sync with sf cvs so I could test
02:30<tmk>ya understandable
02:30<Chutt>ah, the joys of sourceforge
02:31<bline>I like testing as I go, some of us are not as unfailable as you :)
02:31<tmk>yeah
02:31<tmk>hehe
02:31<tmk>i test sometimes
02:31<tmk>i always compile before commit
02:31<tmk>and i usually capture
02:31<Chutt>wow!
02:31<Chutt>usually =)
02:31<tmk>yeah
02:31<tmk>if someone wants to volunteer as QA
02:31<Chutt>actually, i commit lots of junk without a test compile
02:32<tmk>aha!
02:32<Chutt>i don't break stuff that often, really
02:32<tmk>i figure i'll notice the big bugs
02:32<bline>heh, the utils didn't compile for like a week in ivtv
02:32<tmk>that was alex's fault
02:32<tmk>he committed half your patch
02:33<tmk>anyhow
02:33<tmk>i'm going to go do some doc updates
02:33<bline>naa, I just sent the patch without know about his seperate header
02:33<Chutt>there's a commits list, right?
02:33<bline>which I blame sf for
02:33<tmk>yeah i thinkso
02:33<tmk>i'm not on it
02:33<Chutt>i see one exists, but no archive for it on sf
02:33<Chutt>so i dunno if it's hooked up
02:34<tmk>john was doing most of the admin stuff
02:34<tmk>he's off the project now tho
02:34<tmk>his work had some insane Int. prop. thing he had to sign
02:34<tmk>and he was concerned
02:34<Chutt>i just want to smack around that record_v4l2.pl guy next time he announces a minor cvs rev to the list
02:34<bline>I can't wait till we update out archive stuff, it's much nicer now
02:34<tmk>hahaha
02:35<tmk>poor james
02:35<tmk>archive stuff?
02:35<Chutt>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Dev_F10/
02:35<Chutt>like those
02:35<bline>the mailing list archives, alex wants to expand it, so he is updating it making it better
02:36-!-sc00p [] has quit [Connection timed out]
02:36<bline>(alex is the boss)
02:36<tmk>eew i dislike gossamer threads
02:36<tmk>i want plain text
02:36<tmk>and a search box
02:36* tmkoldschool
02:36<bline>There is a search
02:36<bline>and it's better than most archives
02:37<Chutt>this sort of appeases all the silly people that bitch about me not having a forum
02:37<bline>I helped write it
02:37* tmkpats bline on the back
02:37<tmk>thanks!
02:37<Chutt>"you should have a forum!!! and a wiki!!!!!!"
02:37<tmk>wikitty-wack
02:37<tmk>ok that was bad
02:37<tmk>what is a wiki
02:37<bline>The search is being moved to the top of the page
02:37<bline>and the extra html crap is being removed, though it'll still look nice
02:38<Chutt>oh, wow, there's a search box at the bottom
02:38<Chutt>i had just used the button at the top
02:38* blinelets insults role off
02:38<tmk>bline: make it optional to be completely plain text.. like a theme
02:38<tmk>and i'll use it
02:39<bline>Somthing to piss you off though Chutt, the updates are going to break all the archive links unless I can talk alex into fixing it
02:39<Chutt>i don't mind
02:39<tmk>are you and alex in cahoots bline?
02:39<Chutt>that'll take a good 15 seconds to update the links on the website
02:39<bline>tmk: it's template based, switching templates is simple
02:40<bline>Chutt: but the links already in the list will be broken
02:40<tmk>can it be plain text?
02:40<Chutt>ah
02:40<tmk>like grey background, black letters, blue links
02:40<Chutt>ah well
02:40<tmk>no tables
02:40<bline>I'm trying to get him to do something about that before we update
02:40<Chutt>most links in the list are to the howto, though
02:41<bline>there are 180 or so links to the forum from the list
02:41<Chutt>heh
02:41<Chutt>not bad
02:41<bline>alex counted heh
02:41<bline>tmk: write the template set :)
02:42<tmk>maybe later
02:42<bline>ah well
02:42<Chutt>notice any scheduler weirdness since that checkin yesterday night?
02:42* blinehasn't updated
02:43<bline>the commit message made me afraid :)
02:44<Chutt>bah
02:44<Chutt>i can't break it
02:44<Chutt>i'm just covering my ass
02:47-!-sc00p [~oldendic@zink-a-dip3.nat.okstate.edu] has joined #mythtv
02:47<Chutt>i'm sure someone won't like the new behavior, but, whatever
02:47<Chutt>they can fix it
02:47<bline>hey Chutt, there is some kind of new advanced mode in the recording selection?
02:47<Chutt>kinda
02:47<Chutt>hit 'i' on the recording selection screen
02:48<bline>ok, I'll try it
02:48<bline>I should hack it to be on by default
02:48<Scrye>hey i found some neat DC-based PVR hardware today
02:48<Scrye>i got the bookmark on another computer - they are 1U boxes with 800mhz cpus with an integrated pvr-350
02:48<Scrye>like 350$ US
02:48<bline>I want to put my wintv go in here, but I want to control what records what
02:49<Scrye>heh someone might want to put a suggestion in the FAQ about using noisy drives
02:49<Scrye>my 'cable box' shouldn't be keeping me up at night heh
02:51<Chutt>heh
02:51<Chutt>i've got a 'cuda 5 that's damn near silent, even when seeking
02:51<Chutt>haha
02:52<Chutt>so that guy on the list _was_ setting all his different frontends to the same hostname
02:52<Scrye>yeah, quantum == loud
02:53<Scrye>especially 2 quantums in a raid 0
02:53<Scrye>the seagates are almost noiseless
02:55-!-Chutt2 [~bleh@dsl093-011-148.cle1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has joined #mythtv
02:59-!-moegreen [~jdanner@nr4-66-161-167-205.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
02:59<Scrye> 4041 ryan 14 0 34628 28M 15804 R 18.1 5.7 0:37 mythfrontend
03:00<Scrye>playback of 640x480 on a thunderbird 1200 w/ a TNT1-tvout
03:01<Scrye> 4140 root 15 0 44656 35M 6112 R 41.8 7.0 0:19 mythbackend
03:01<Scrye> 4041 ryan 12 0 34256 28M 15432 R 20.5 5.6 0:49 mythfrontend
03:01<Scrye> 4139 root 5 -10 44656 35M 6112 S < 5.8 7.0 0:02 mythbackend
03:01<Scrye>record and playback at the same time
03:13-!-Chutt [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:13-!-bline [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
03:16<tmk>ok chutt, docs updated
03:35<-- tmkhas quit ()
03:37-!-WizFactor [] has quit ["leaving"]
03:42-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
03:54-!-choenig [~choenig@pD952CBBA.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #mythtv
04:03-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
04:59-!-moegreen_ [~jdanner@nr4-216-196-152-150.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
05:14-!-FryGuy [] has quit ["peace and protection - bugs? what bugs? - www.pairc.com"]
05:16-!-moegreen [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
05:52-!-kslater [~kslater@24.svnf1.xdsl.nauticom.net] has joined #mythtv
06:00-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
06:09-!-moegreen_ [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
07:00-!-moegreen_ [~jdanner@nr4-216-196-152-254.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
07:08-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
07:14-!-choenig [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
07:15-!-jkolb [~jkolb@216-199-48-234.orl.fdn.com] has joined #mythtv
07:16-!-jkolb [] has quit [Client Quit]
07:16-!-choenig [~choenig@pD952CBBA.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #mythtv
07:16-!-jkolb [~jkolb@216-199-48-234.orl.fdn.com] has joined #mythtv
07:19-!-SebLappy [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:13-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
08:13-!-jkolb [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:13-!-moegreen_ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:52-!-steved [~steve-irc@pc2-cmbg4-3-cust210.cmbg.cable.ntl.com] has joined #mythtv
09:08-!-moegreen_ [~jdanner@nr4-66-161-167-9.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
09:09-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
09:19-!-jkolb [~jkolb@216-199-48-234.orl.fdn.com] has joined #mythtv
09:23-!-mithro [~tim@dsl1-83.gw1.adl1.airnet.com.au] has joined #mythtv
09:43<Chutt2>people on my mailing list just piss me off
09:43-!-Chutt2 is now known as Chutt
09:44<vektor>Why?
09:45<vektor>Or, what happened now?
09:45<Chutt>because a whole lot of them are fucking idiots
09:45<Chutt>it's just damn annoying
09:47-!-Conaz [~conaz@12.106.3.51] has joined #mythtv
09:48<Peit>this may seem a silly question, but is there a sample output, (text) from running say mythfrontend, ie. what can we expect to see, (like "contacting backend")
09:48<Chutt>sure, going into live tv mode?
09:48<Chutt>analog or hardware capture?
09:48<Peit>yeah
09:48<Peit>livetv
09:49<Peit>I _think_ i should be getting a message about sound, ( i do on the backend window)
09:49<Chutt>what's it say on the backend?
09:49<Peit>um
09:51<Peit>I had it logged, can't find it now :(
09:51<Peit>ah ha
09:52<Peit>Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
09:52<Peit>audio volume set to '32768'
09:52<Peit>is what i get/got on the backend
09:52<Chutt>ok
09:52<Peit>but i just restarted mythbackend and didn't get that
09:53<Chutt>what version of mythtv, btw?
09:53<Peit>0.9.1 i _think_
09:54<Chutt>It should basically just say
09:54<Chutt>Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
09:54<Chutt>Over/underscanning. <sizes>
09:54<Chutt>Using XV port: <port number>
09:54<Chutt>should be it
09:54<Peit>on the client?
09:54<Chutt>yup
09:54<Peit>connecting to backend server: 192.168.0.15:6543
09:54<Peit>Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
09:54<Peit>is all i get
09:55<Chutt>there's a section in the howto about debugging
09:55<Chutt>'mythtv crashes / doesn't do anything'
09:55<vektor>Chutt: hey, did something change on the new NVIDIA drivers about how many XVIDEO ports they make available?
09:55<Peit>I tried running in gdb,
09:55<vektor>Chutt: Like, do you know if now everything is an NV05 video blitter?
09:55<Chutt>vektor, not that i know of
09:55<vektor>ok, thanks.
09:55<Chutt>vektor, i still have a 'NV17 Video Overlay'
09:56<vektor>ok, thanks.
09:56<Chutt>peit, and where was it stopped up?
09:57<Peit>bah. anyone got a spare pair of glasses, looks like i got some debugging steps in the wrong order
09:57<Peit>one sec
09:57* Peitleaves it a couple of secs
09:58<Peit>o.k. backend has spat out "Backend stuffed up in RequestRingBufferBlock
09:58<Peit>"7
09:59<Chutt>check the backend in gdb as well
09:59<Peit>o.k.
10:00<Peit>need to build gdb for the backend
10:07-!-mithro [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
10:21<Peit>Chutt: o.k. no moaning from the backend when i ^C'd the front end, the backtrace has a number of "nanosleep () from /lib/libc.so.6" messages, anything specific i should look for?
10:23<Chutt>follow the directions in the howtol
10:26<Peit>oops/doh, willdo
10:31-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
10:43-!-dopez [~unknown@dopez.xs4all.nl] has joined #mythtv
10:54-!-thor [] has quit ["using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.2.1"]
10:54-!-poptix [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-dopez [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-hays [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-moegreen_ [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-kslater [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-ca1vin [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-ender [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:54-!-bigguy [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
10:57-!-dopez [~unknown@dopez.xs4all.nl] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-moegreen_ [~jdanner@nr4-66-161-167-9.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-kslater [~kslater@24.svnf1.xdsl.nauticom.net] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-ender [~me@198.64.184.98] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-bigguy [bigman@h19.44.102.166.ip.alltel.net] has joined #mythtv
10:57-!-ca1vin [calvin@equinox.alluvium.com] has joined #mythtv
11:00-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
11:10-!-schultmc [~schultmc@zealot.progeny.com] has joined #mythtv
11:29-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:29-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
11:36-!-poptix_ [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
11:37-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:41-!-poptix_ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:41-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
11:47<Chutt>heh
11:47<Chutt>apparently it's _my_ fault that that tako dumbass doesn't read the mailing list
11:49* radsaqhides from the scary Chutt
11:50<Chutt>'So you missed the thread where this was fixed a couple days ago?' is an apparently unhelpful reply
11:51-!-Timon [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
11:51<Chutt>replying to Hmmm but *cough* mplayer I've got working with Live TV while MythTV still stutters *cough* *whistle* }:)"
11:52* Peithopes he hasn't missed out anything trivial before posting the backtrace
11:53<Chutt>peit, you're colin morey?
11:53<Chutt>well, basically, the backtrace is useless =)
11:53<Chutt>see all the '????'s in it?
11:53<Chutt>need those
11:54-!-Drikus_ [~Drikus@cc45940-a.deven1.ov.home.nl] has joined #mythtv
11:54<Peit>:( i was fearing that
11:55<Peit>i _did_ set the DEBUG in settings.pro and didn't strip the binaries
11:55<Chutt>yeah
11:55<Chutt>your gdb doesn't work with your glibc
11:55-!-mecraw_ [~mecraw@69.2.235.2] has joined #mythtv
11:55<Chutt>well, completely, at least
11:56<Peit>hmm, odd, I only compiled gdb the other day, (two, maybe three days ago)
11:57<Peit>although glibc may be stripped,
11:57<Chutt>it's having problems with threads
11:57<Peit>is there a simple fix, (that i'm not going to screw up)?
11:58-!-mechou [~mchou@01-205.142.popsite.net] has joined #mythtv
11:58<Peit>i know you probably don't want to teach me how to use gdb, but your help really is appreciated
11:58<Chutt>not that i know of
11:59<mechou>Chutt, what's the best way to change channel provider/lineup w/o losing oldrecorded? (I'm moving...)
11:59<Peit>what's the indication it;s not playing nice? (the ???)
12:00<Chutt>mechou, run setup, and say yes to the second question (about clearing out your program/channel tables)
12:00<Chutt>then set up a new provider
12:00<Chutt>and set the inputs again
12:00<Chutt>should be it
12:00<mechou>OK, sounds very reasonable.
12:11-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
12:24-!-mecraw_ is now known as mecraw
12:29-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
12:38<just1nux>Chutt: shouldn't there be text somewhere on those menu screens that tells you where you are? First rule of usable navigation is always tell people where they are. Right now, the only way to know is to guess by what menu choices you have (both mythmusic and mythvideo have the same option choices under settings...the screens look exactly the same.
12:43-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
12:45<Chutt>just1nux, there's the 'title' images
12:45<Chutt>that can be used for stuff like that
12:46<just1nux>oh. i musta missed that
12:46<just1nux>are any of the current themes using them?
12:46<Chutt>hrm
12:46<Chutt>no
12:46<Chutt>iulius was, but that's dead
12:46<Chutt>i'd have to figure out how to use them again
12:47<Chutt>unless you can find a tarball of it somewhere
12:47<just1nux>guess i'll see what i can find then.
12:48<Chutt>basically, it's an image that changes depending on what screen you're on
12:48<just1nux>exactly what i was looking for, but i was hoping there was atleadt a way to include text which said what screen you are on.
12:48<jkolb>just1nux: I just tgz'ed my iulius dir, and put it at http://www.greyshift.net/iulius.tgz
12:49<just1nux>got it. thanx
12:49<jkolb>np
12:49<jkolb>I think there's a file from blue in there to make it work with recent releases, but I can't really remember.
12:50<Chutt>there may need to be more categories needed for the screens, though
12:52<jkolb>Oh, hey, all of the titles are pngs. I had always assumed they were text.
12:52<Chutt>heh
12:55<Chutt>pretty much everything is images =)
12:55<Peit>Chutt: i have a fulle Backtrace if your intersted
12:55<just1nux>how does it match them up? like for the buttons...there is a TV one that seems to go with anything starting with TV?
12:56<Chutt>peit, you can email it to me directly if you want
12:56<Chutt>and what'd you do to fix things?
12:56<Peit>irc /query
12:56<just1nux>or containing TV?
12:56<Chutt>just1nux, the first line of the menu .xml file gives it a name that's matched against the title name
12:56<Chutt>peit, ijr@po.cwru.edu
12:56<Peit>Chutt: k
13:02<Peit>sent
13:04<Chutt>that's the same as before
13:06<just1nux>what are the chances that that there I can add titles for Music Settings"
13:07<just1nux>and Video Settings... etc.
13:07<Chutt>pretty easy
13:07<Chutt>need to modify the various menu xml files
13:07<Chutt>just give me a list of which menus you want changed
13:08<just1nux>heh, ok. ill get back to you. i figured when that list was setup there was only one setting menu screen.
13:08<Chutt>yup =)
13:08<just1nux>and nobody has touched that code since.
13:08<Chutt>exactly
13:09<Peit>Chutt: the same? or doesn't tell you anything new? "#1 0x00000000 in ?? ()"
13:09<Chutt>peit, yeah, i need those to be filled in
13:09<Peit>any idea what they'd be from?
13:09<Chutt>bad gdb
13:09<Chutt>is the only thing i'm aware of that causes it
13:10<Peit>o.k. I'll recompile gdb against the non-striped glibc
13:26<extremis>Chutt: if I'm not a programmer, how can I contribute to your project?
13:26<extremis>to help support its growth
13:26<extremis>continued growth that is :)
13:26<Chutt>artist?
13:26<extremis>nope
13:26<extremis>I do network security
13:26<Chutt>docs?
13:26<extremis>I could do that
13:27<extremis>there are some things that I've been fighting that aren't well documented
13:27<extremis>so I can add them to the faq
13:27<extremis>do you need financial compensation or hardware?
13:27<Chutt>not really
13:28<Chutt>lotta people do ask about donations
13:28<extremis>we could build an installation CD and sell it :)
13:29<Chutt>eh
13:29<Chutt>i still don't know how i'd feel 'bout taking money from people
13:29<mechou>actually, can't myth use some testers?
13:30<extremis>Chutt: no problem
13:30<Chutt>in addition to everyone who runs cvs?
13:30<mechou>well, that's the thing, who /how many run cvs?
13:31<Chutt>mechou, a good number, judging by people on the mailing lists
13:33<mechou>it's just I wished we could have avoided 9.0->9.1, minor on scale of things, but still a nuisance
13:33<Chutt>why would you care about a bugfix release like that?
13:36<mechou>well, you know, recompile, install, test cycle again....I have luxury of having some test machines but I'd imagin a number of people want production myth
13:37<mechou>I'm not complaining, just saying more eyballs would be a good thing
13:38<mechou>s/eyballs/eyeballs
13:39<Snow-Man>So run cvs if you want, or read the code for bugs.
13:43-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
14:06<Peit|Home>Chutt: quick Q, which version of gdb are you using?
14:07<Chutt>i dunno
14:07<Chutt>whatever's in debian unstable
14:09<Peit|Home>hmm, 5.3.1mdk is the one on the www, i'll try an upgrade
14:12<Peit|Home>hmm, 5.3 is latest release
14:53-!-jkolb [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
15:03<mdz>vektor: simon sure is taking his sweet time with the tvtime packaging :-)
15:03-!-tmk [~tmk@ip-64-139-6-119.dsl.sca.megapath.net] has joined #mythtv
15:06<tmk>Chutt: faq was updated
15:06<Chutt>cool
15:06<tmk>hopefully you get less hate-mail on my account now
15:08-!-bline [office-9@office.gossamer-threads.com] has joined #mythtv
15:25<vektor>mdz: um, yeah :(
15:25<vektor>perfectionists suck
15:27-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
15:34* Peit|Homebeats gdb with a big stick
15:49-!-Drikus_ [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-jfm [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49<-- Snow-Manhas quit (einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
15:49-!-extremis [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-rizzi [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-vektor [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-yebo [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-Viddy [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-justin_ [] has quit [einstein.freenode.net irc.freenode.net]
15:49-!-Drikus_ [~Drikus@cc45940-a.deven1.ov.home.nl] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-jfm [~jfm@nat-outgoing.dalalu.fr] has joined #mythtv
15:49--> Snow-Man(~sfrost@snowman.net) has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-extremis [extremis@equinox.alluvium.com] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-rizzi [~root@roc-24-93-16-37.rochester.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-vektor [~bbiggs@nat-pc.cs.Dal.Ca] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-justin_ [~justin@H239-211.STATE.resnet.albany.edu] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-Viddy [david@visp194-179.visp.co.nz] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-yebo [private@mongoose.hypa.net] has joined #mythtv
16:02<tmk>mmm netsplit
16:06-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
16:17<just1nux>Chutt: these are the screens that need a title 'mode' added for them. MythTV Schedule, MythTV Settings, MythMusic Settings, MythVideo Settings. I'm also assuming MythGame Settings, MythGallery Settings. But I don't have either of them installed so i dont know if these exist or if there are additional menu screens in them.
16:22-!-LeonIV [~leoniv@168.179.146.218] has joined #mythtv
16:49-!-justin_ [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:49-!-moegreen_ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:51-!-choenig [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:52-!-justin [~justin@H239-211.STATE.RESNET.ALBANY.EDU] has joined #mythtv
16:54-!-choenig [~choenig@pD952CBBA.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #mythtv
16:57-!-r4s [~r@mundham.plus.com] has joined #mythtv
16:57<tmk>anyone know of laptops with good tv-out support in linux?
16:58<vektor>um
16:58<vektor>is there _anything_ that has good tv-out support in linux?
16:58<vektor>like fuck, any consumer video card?
16:58<tmk>matrox/nvidia
16:58<tmk>?
16:58<vektor>i think 'no', therefore 'none'
16:58<vektor>uh, no.
16:58<vektor>not in my opinion anyway.
16:58<tmk>hehe
16:58<vektor>didn't we have this discussion? :)
16:58<tmk>ok let me rephrase
16:58<tmk>nope not i
16:58<tmk>anyone know of laptops with tv-out support in linux?
16:59<tmk>mine has console mode tv-out
16:59<tmk>but not video
16:59<vektor>well my argument is that there's no api under linux where you can give an interlaced stream to a tv encoder chip and have it come out correctly
16:59<vektor>therefore, nothing has good tv-out support
17:00<vektor>except the matrox g400/g450/g550 using the directfb driver, and even then there are bugs which prevent it from being perfect
17:00<vektor>that is, you cannot build a dvd player out of a linux machine and have it be as good quality as a hardware dvd player.
17:01<vektor>chutt may argue with me: he's said that if you send interlaced top-field-first frames at an XVIDEO surface which happens to be on the TV output head of an NVIDIA card, then it comes out correct, but i have reservations about how it maps the scanlines from input to output :)
17:02<Chutt>it looks correct, at least
17:02<Chutt>i dunno
17:03<Chutt>tmk, just make a script to do auto checkouts of cvs and post tarballs
17:03<vektor>Chutt: but say you move the window down one scanline, what happens?
17:03<Chutt>i dunno, i can't move the window
17:03<vektor>oh?
17:03<Chutt>mythtv is borderless all the time
17:03<vektor>oooh
17:03<vektor>but you see what i'm getting at, right?
17:04<Chutt>sure
17:04<tmk>borderless = no moving?
17:04<tmk>hold down alt and drag.. i bet that'll move it
17:04<vektor>tmk: you can just hold down alt and drag :)
17:04<Chutt>nope
17:04<vektor>i think he's using KWin
17:04<vektor>Chutt ? ;)
17:05<Chutt>well, in some window managers
17:05<Chutt>but i don't have a keyboard on the tv computer anymore
17:05<Chutt>or a mouse
17:05<vektor>neat
17:05<tmk>heh
17:05<Chutt>so that'd be a tad hard to do
17:05<vektor>i have some time until my wife comes home, maybe i'll go buy a gf4
17:06<vektor>then i can see for myself
17:06<Chutt>i dunno
17:06<Chutt>i'm not using the gf4 for tv out anymore, though
17:06<vektor>oh, what do you use?
17:06<Chutt>since the tv box is a mini-itx
17:06<Chutt>the tv out's pretty crappy
17:06<vektor>so you use an external converter?
17:06<Chutt>naw, just using the tv out on the board
17:06<vektor>ooh
17:07<Chutt>it's ok
17:07<vektor>and how does that work for interlaced input?
17:07<Chutt>doesn't
17:07<vektor>ok, so you just deinterlace
17:07<Chutt>yup
17:07<vektor>have you tried running tvtime on it?
17:07<vektor>at 60fps ?
17:07<vektor>i'd be curious to see how it fares
17:07<Chutt>i highly doubt that that would break the box
17:07<Chutt>reverse the logic there
17:08<Chutt>these chips are _slow_
17:08<vektor>oh you're using an epia ?
17:08<Chutt>mini-itx, epia-m
17:08<vektor>but it can decode mpeg4 ok in realtime?
17:08<Chutt>barely
17:08<vektor>fuck
17:08<vektor>do you encode from another box?
17:08<Chutt>i've got the pvr-350 in there
17:08<vektor>or you're using the pvr-250 now
17:09<vektor>ooh
17:09<Chutt>so i'm hoping to use its tv out once tmk writes code
17:09<vektor>yeah
17:09<vektor>but you wouldn't get a framebuffer
17:09<Chutt>yup
17:09<Chutt>i would
17:09<vektor>oh?
17:09<vektor>interlaced framebuffer? :)
17:09<Chutt>no
17:09* vektorgoes back to the ivtv docs page
17:09<Chutt>why would i need a framebuffer?
17:09<Chutt>i'd just be using the -350 for input
17:09<vektor>for your osd etc
17:09<Chutt>and maybe dvds
17:10<Chutt>it has a hardware overlay
17:10<vektor>ugh
17:10<Chutt>you send it data, it'll do the alpha blending for you
17:10<Chutt>why ugh?
17:10<vektor>cause then your code isn't as clean
17:11<vektor>have to write special code for that
17:11<Chutt>naw, not really
17:11<vektor>well, mostly special
17:11<Chutt>just a little bit
17:11<vektor>i see in the firmware api about how it can read from a YUV framebuffer for the tv out
17:11<Chutt>going to have to have a new playback class for it anyway
17:11<Chutt>there's that, too
17:11<vektor>but i'd still need an interrupt either every field, or every frame
17:11<Chutt>but i don't know if it's interlaced
17:12<vektor>hmm
17:12<Chutt>anyway
17:12<vektor>yeah
17:12<Chutt>tmk, really, you don't update CVS so often that you need instant access =)
17:12<vektor>did you enter that 'powerpvr' contest?
17:12<Chutt>for non-developres
17:12<Chutt>naw
17:12-!-Drikus_ [] has quit ["toedeledoki"]
17:12<vektor>i sent in a thing
17:12<Chutt>i don't want to take a winner's slot away
17:13<vektor>for tvtime
17:13<Chutt>:p
17:13* blineis waiting on access
17:13<vektor>haha :)
17:13<tmk>heh
17:13<tmk>ivytv and myth were specifically mentioned
17:13<Chutt>yeah
17:13<tmk>so i dont think we were eligible
17:13<vektor>heh
17:13<tmk>either that or we win by default?
17:13<Chutt>morph (guy that runs it, sits in here sometimes) said i could enter
17:13<tmk>hehe
17:13<tmk>i submit "mythtv"
17:13<tmk>you submit ivytv
17:14<vektor>i think i'm going to shut down my box and put in the pvr-250 now
17:14<vektor>back in a bit
17:14<tmk>later
17:14<Chutt>if you want to do pvr on linux, it's vdr, or mythtv
17:14<Chutt>so, um, yeah
17:14<tmk>no freevo?
17:14<Chutt>they still don't do timeshifting officially yet
17:14<tmk>ah
17:14<tmk>pvr is just recording though ;)
17:15<Chutt>naw, i consider live tv stuff an integral part of being a pvr
17:15<tmk>i see
17:15<just1nux>chutt: did you get my list of menu screens earlier?
17:15<Chutt>just1nux, yeah, i'll get those fixed up
17:16<Chutt>thanks
17:16<just1nux>ok, it was after a netsplit, so i wasnt sure if it got missed.
17:16<just1nux>does mythGallery or Game have any additional menu screens?
17:16<tmk>Chutt: you a student? or just bored at work
17:17<Chutt>dunno right off, but i'll get em when i do the rest
17:17<just1nux>k.
17:17<Chutt>tmk, i telecommute or whatever you want to call it
17:17<Chutt>work from home
17:20<Chutt>just1nux, tv_schedule.xml already has a mode of 'SCHEDULE'
17:20<tmk>heh
17:20<Chutt>is that used elsewhere?
17:20<tmk>gotcha
17:25<Chutt>and music settings has a "MUSIC_SETTINGS" mode
17:25<Chutt>also unique
17:25<Chutt>video's already VIDEO_SETTINGS
17:26<mechou>chutt: what powerpvr contest was vektor referring to?
17:26<Chutt>go to the www.viaarena.com page, look at the competitions section
17:28<Chutt>just1nux, mythtv schedule is "SCHEDULE" mythtv settings is "TVSETUP", mythmusic settings is "MUSIC SETTINGS", mythvideo settings is "VIDEO SETTINGS"
17:31<mechou>chutt, i just read it, why don't you qualify? It says it open to everyone except sponsor employees..., nutin' bout developers can't enter...
17:32<Chutt>mechou, who said i don't qualify?
17:33<mechou>I didn't follow chat, but someone earlier said mythtv and ivtv...
17:37<Chutt>they're specifically mentioned in the press release announcing the contest
17:38<extremis>Does anyone here have an echostar 6000 receiver?
17:39-!-hays [~hays@pool-138-88-64-28.res.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
17:42<mechou>chutt, sheeh... if via were smart, they should have just donated a couple of mini-itx to you.
17:43<Chutt>they gave me one
17:43<mechou>well, there you go...
17:58-!-FryGuy [fryguy@dialup-67.31.170.119.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net] has joined #mythtv
18:00<dopez>is there a feature planned to start the recording a few minutes before a program starts? (i've been trying to add it, with not much luck so far)
18:01<Chutt>eventually
18:01<Chutt>it's not high priority for me
18:01<Snow-Man>I thought there already was something like that.
18:02<dopez>ok, i'll keep on hacking then, maybe i'll get it working ;)
18:02<tmk>Chutt: you get a bunch of request from euros to update things via teletext or whatever?
18:02<tmk>so it can automatically sync with program start time
18:02<Chutt>nope
18:02<Chutt>not really
18:02<dopez>(tv channels here in holland are really crappy, programs start either 15 minutes early or later most of the time)
18:04<dopez>Snow-Man: there is an option to record a few minutes past the show
18:05<Peit|Home>Chutt: the building instructions in 18.9 are all i should need to include debugging symbols, correct? (i also have -g in in my CFLAGS)
18:05<Chutt>yup
18:05<Peit|Home>ta
18:06<Chutt>dopez, where were you trying to add it?
18:06-!-moegreen_ [~jdanner@nr4-216-196-155-35.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
18:07<dopez>i was copy/pasting all the recordover stuff to recordbefore stuff, than ran into trouble cause i couldnt find out where it using the starttime
18:07<Chutt>oh, that wouldn't work
18:07<dopez>ok ;)
18:16-!-hays [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
18:21-!-thor [~thor@208.185.11.34] has joined #mythtv
18:35-!-LeonIV [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:39<tmk>sf.net currently lagging 41 hours
18:39<tmk>and counting
18:39<tmk>>:(
18:40<dopez>and almost impossible to do a checkout ;(
18:40<tmk>hmm
18:40* tmkponders
18:51-!-CaptMidn1ght [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
18:57<tmk>dopez: I put a tarball up on http://ivtv.sf.net
18:57* tmkis fed up
18:57<dopez>tmk: cool, i wish other projects would do the same ;)
18:58<dopez>(sf projects that is ;)
18:59-!-mecraw [] has quit ["Trillian (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com)"]
19:02-!-schultmc [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
19:13-!-moegreen_ [] has quit ["BitchX-1.0c20cvs -- just do it."]
19:17-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
19:29-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
19:32-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
19:34-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
19:39<Snow-Man>hmm, hmm, hmm.
19:40<Snow-Man>What calls keyPressEvent? Is that just a Qt thing that 'happens'?
19:43<Snow-Man>class MythMainWindow : public QDialog
19:43<Snow-Man>hmmmmm~
19:43<thor>Qt does it
19:44<Snow-Man>Hrmpf.
19:44<thor>you can create events yourself though (if that's what you want) ??
19:44<kslater>hey thor, I'm seeing a strange thing with mythmusic.
19:44<thor>ok
19:45<kslater>couple day old cvs make. NOT using Qt3.1 (ducks)
19:45<Snow-Man>thor: I'm looking to be able to control mythtv through something other than the main keyboard.
19:45<thor>Snow-Man, like this old Fujitsu touch screen tablet I've been fiddling with all day?
19:45<kslater>seems to lockup the frontend, gui gets hosed (doesn't repaint).
19:45<Snow-Man>thor: Well, sure.
19:46<Snow-Man>thor: You havn't done this already, have you?
19:46<thor>touchsreen?
19:46<Snow-Man>No, changed mythtv. :)
19:46<thor>I'm just fiddling around at this point
19:46<thor>kslater, a few more details please
19:46<Snow-Man>The touchscreen bit is an interesting idea.
19:46<thor>tap tap, music music
19:47<Snow-Man>I'm not sure how hard it'd be to support that.
19:47<Snow-Man>It'd probably be more effort than what I'm trying.
19:47<thor>just getting ThemedDialog to calculate what widget is "on top" after a mouse press
19:47-!-mechou [] has quit ["using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.2.4"]
19:47<kslater>It starts playing a tune (ogg or mp3) and keeps playing but the gui locks up.
19:47<Snow-Man>Oh, the touchscreen is acting like a mouse?
19:48<thor>Snow-Man, yup
19:48<kslater>what else can I tell you? I don't see any errors on the xterm it's started from.
19:48<Snow-Man>Hrmpf, ok, that's easier then. :)
19:48<thor>kslater, if you can ctrl-c when it's visually locked up and post a bt somewhere, that would help ...
19:49<thor>(after building for debugging)
19:49<thor>=)
19:49<kslater>ok. I'll have to rebuild. Thanks.
19:51<thor>kslater, you running RedHat?
19:51<thor>8.x'ish?
19:51<kslater>actually 7.3 was what it started as
19:52<kslater>i'm using kernel 2.4.20-ac2 though
19:52<thor>lots of RedHat <--> thread library problems floating around that cause this sort of thing
19:52<Chutt>that's really only with rh9
19:53<kslater>I'm wondering if it's an issue with having Random set for visualization, but not having Goom built
19:53<Chutt>random should only select from available ones
19:53<thor>you can always test by setting your vis to "Blank"
19:54<kslater>I just picked 3 that I know work. I'll test a while and see.
19:54<Snow-Man>ok, so the idea here is to register my own socketnotifier with the QEventLoop and then process those and hopefully I can just throw a keyevent myself?
19:54<kslater>how much effort is the Qt3.1 upgrade worth?
19:55<thor>Snow-Man, sounds like you want an xmms like ability to listen for commands on a socket and do something
19:55<Snow-Man>You are using the QEventLoop, right?
19:55-!-mechou [~mchou@01-205.142.popsite.net] has joined #mythtv
19:55<thor>yup
19:55<Snow-Man>thor: Yup, basically.
19:56<kslater>Chutt: I'm way behind on myth-list reading (about 1 week), have you heard about via releasing the code for the MPEG2 decoder for the EPIA boards?
19:56<Chutt>they pulled it.
19:56<thor>this is going to get easier as music splits into front and back ends
19:56<Chutt>it was "released" for a couple hours :p
19:56<Chutt>unless they've gone and re-released things?
19:56<kslater>from their website they did, but they gave it to Alan Cox and they're working on building it out.
19:57<Chutt>right
19:57<thor>kslater, I think building Qt 3.1 is trivial, just make sure you read ./configure --help and do all the important bits
19:57<Chutt>i keep meaning to get back to them, as they've mentioned i could get that stuff eventually
19:57<Chutt>i really don't want to write code for them, though
19:58<kslater>I agree. You've got enough on your plate. I'm serious about AC though.
19:58-!-FreddieD [jwapliar@CPE-65-26-9-73.kc.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
19:58<Chutt>yeah, i know 'bout him having stuff
19:58<kslater>for a poor dude like me an EPIA mpeg2 decode ability would be nice to have.
19:59<Chutt>i'd rather have the pvr-350 tv-out/decoding supported
19:59<kslater>understood. what size is a pvr-250? 1/2 height? (hopefully)
19:59<Chutt>heh
19:59<Chutt>no
19:59<Chutt>it's full-height
20:00<Chutt>and fairly long
20:00<Chutt>won't fit into small cases
20:00<kslater>sounds like I'd need a new case as well then.
20:00<FreddieD>it's only like 1/2 the size of my Voodoo5 5500 tho :P
20:01<FreddieD>you know a card is too big when it requires a dedicated power supply plug
20:02<tmk>i didn't think the pvr's were that big
20:02<Chutt>they're huge :p
20:02<tmk>heh
20:02<Chutt>compared to other tv cards, at least
20:03<tmk>i'll have to look again
20:03<tmk>i don't think it's much longer than is a pci slot
20:03<Chutt>it is
20:03<Chutt>i had to buy a short DVD-ROM drive for my mini-itx box to fit in the -250 originally
20:03<Chutt>though i trashed that case, as it was way too warm
20:04<FreddieD>does anybody recommend an ATX desktop-shaped case that looks like something OTHER than a computer case for this thing?
20:05<FreddieD>my wife has issues with me putting an obvious looking computer tower in the living room :P
20:05<tmk>for like $300 you can get a brushed aluminum case
20:05<tmk>that looks like a reciever
20:06<Chutt>or you can buy a cheap case and hide it in the stereo rack
20:06<FreddieD>yeah im thinking the latter
20:07<kslater>Chutt: are you using 0.9.4 alsa drivers with your EPIA? And is that the first version that supports the dxs_support=3 param?
20:07<tmk>there are some mini-itx cases which are long rather than boxy
20:07<tmk>might fit ok in those
20:07<Chutt>kslater, yup.
20:07-!-choenig [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
20:07<FreddieD>is mini-itx different from mini atx?
20:07<Chutt>i'm using a cvs snapshot of alsa from when they added that option, actually
20:07<Chutt>but the via driver's the same in all more recent releases
20:08<Snow-Man>afk a few.
20:08<kslater>.9.3 didn't seem to like that param
20:08<Snow-Man>I wonder if I can just straight up call keyPressEvent directly.
20:08<Snow-Man>hmmm.
20:08<Snow-Man>Anyhow, gotta go wash bottles. :)
20:09<kslater>Snow-Man: brewing?
20:09<Chutt>snowman, you can dispatch the event to the top level window
20:09<Chutt>it's like notify() or some crap
20:09<Snow-Man>Hrm, what's it in? QObject or something? Didn't see it as part of QEventLoop..
20:11<Snow-Man>hmmmm, there's connectNotify..
20:11<Chutt>qapplication
20:11<Snow-Man>Ahh, coo'
20:11<Chutt>qApp->notify(gContext->GetMainWindow(), event);
20:11<Snow-Man>ok, I'll play with that after bottles and giving Ryan a bath. :)
20:12<kslater>oh those kind of bottles.
20:12<tmk>then later he'll wash diapers ;)
20:14<Chutt>snowman, just be careful not to loop events
20:14<Chutt>bad things happen
20:24-!-r4s [] has quit ["Bye"]
20:24<Chutt>did 'Michael Greb' ever attach his patch?
20:24<Chutt>or did he really send in 3 emails without it
20:26-!-moegreen [~jdanner@nr4-216-196-155-35.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
20:27-!-poptix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
20:28-!-poptix [poptix@funding.terrorism.in.canadia.org] has joined #mythtv
20:36<thor>The one in the middle has it
20:38<Chutt>i don't see it there
20:38<thor>capitonbox.patch
20:38<Chutt>oh, it's encoded weird
20:39<Chutt>well, either that or kmail broke
20:39<Chutt>equally likely =)
20:40<thor>it's about four lines long
20:40<Chutt>yeah
20:42-!-tmk is now known as tmk-away
20:53-!-bline [] has quit ["Client exiting"]
20:54-!-Ripp [~ripp@209.194.224.236] has joined #mythtv
21:01<Snow-Man>Chutt: Awww. :)
21:10<thor>The spam gets weirder every day
21:10<Snow-Man>yup.
21:10<thor>Subject: Dimensional Warp Generator Needed gocjb
21:11<mechou> spammers trying to fool all those bayesian filters...
21:11<thor>Content: The mind warper generation 4 Dimensional Warp Generator # 52 4350a series wrist watch with z60 or better memory adapter.
21:13<mechou>they'd have way more misspellings...
21:15<Snow-Man>hmm, hmm.
21:18-!-keturn_ [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
21:29<Chutt>snowman, working?
21:29<Chutt>or no
21:29<Snow-Man>Reading up about Qt classes atm, specifically.
21:29<Snow-Man>sup?
21:29<Chutt>nothin, just curious
21:31<thor>is it possible someone could need three days and half a dozen e-mails to discover that the arrow keys would let them navigate their music tree?
21:31<thor>ugh
21:31<Snow-Man>haha
21:33-!-kslater [] has quit ["Client Exiting"]
21:34-!-Ripp [] has quit ["Luke! I'm shutting the power down!"]
21:40<Snow-Man>Chutt: So I guess I need to create a QEventLoop before QApplication is created.
21:41<thor>Snow-Man, you don't need to create the loop, really ...
21:41<thor>I think (you) want a QSocket that pushes out QKeyEvents
21:42<thor>Qt will take care of executing the right bits of your QSocket when data arrices
21:42<thor>arrives
21:42<Snow-Man>Well, sure, does QSocket have an ability to register itself in a loop?
21:42<Snow-Man>huh, alright.
21:43<Snow-Man>Guess I should have read about QSocket first. :)
21:43<thor>are you writing a standalone app, or something that bolts on to something else?
21:44<Snow-Man>My intent is to make this part of mythfrontend
21:44<Snow-Man>I'm thinking that's the only thing that'd benefit from it.
21:44<thor>ok, so you just need to subclass QSocket and make it do interesting things when Qt says, "here's some data that just arrived"
21:45<Snow-Man>I figured I had to hook myself into the loop explicitly but I guess not.
21:46<thor>as long as the object is "in scope" (not technically using scope correctly, but you get the idea) it'll do what you want
21:46<Snow-Man>ok.
21:53-!-bline [~sbeck@h24-84-93-233.vc.shawcable.net] has joined #mythtv
22:08-!-tdb30_ [] has quit [Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)]
22:11-!-tdb30_ [~chatzilla@dsl081-143-042.chi1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has joined #mythtv
22:25-!-FreddieD [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
22:30-!-fulbert [~fulbert@patty.fission.com] has joined #mythtv
22:34-!-moegreen_ [~jdanner@nr4-216-196-155-35.fuse.net] has joined #mythtv
22:34<thor>all right, that about pushes me over the edge
22:35-!-moegreen [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
22:36<bline>what
22:36<fulbert>my setup has two 250 cards,is there a way to specify which to use for liveTV? seems to use video0.
22:36<thor>there's guy who has sent me three e-mails in which he has tried to paste mysql select results
22:37<thor>3 times
22:37<thor>paste
22:37<thor>it's just beyond belief
22:38<thor>fulbert, I think it defaults to whatever is first (as long as it's free)
22:38<fulbert>yeah, trying to get around that. I have digicable with the external decoder video1, and a analog feed into the tuner on video0, I wanted to use video1 as the live source.
22:38<fulbert>I guess I'll switch the inputs.
22:39<thor>probably fastest
22:39<extremis>Does anyone have a dishnet 6000 receiver?
22:57-!-srl [~srl@cblmdm65-221-43-58.buckeye-express.com] has joined #mythtv
22:57<srl>Any MythGame users here?
23:02<Chutt>apparently, the beginning mythtv user should just be skipping sections 3 and 4 of the howto
23:02<Chutt>and magically figure out what prerequisites are necessary on their own
23:04<srl>ok!
23:04<Chutt>srl, sorry =)
23:04<srl>I upgraded mame and now my neogeo games don't show up in the list
23:04<srl>It doesn't make any sense to me
23:05<Snow-Man>So, check a config option for 'commandSocket' or something, maybe with a port option, create a QSocket to listen on that socket and then generate keyPressEvent's and dump them into the event queue using notify.
23:05<srl>Snow-Man!!!!!!
23:05<Snow-Man>srl; Heya.
23:06<Snow-Man>Gotta figure out who should own the QSocket and make sure it has all the info it needs at that point to generate the event
23:06<Snow-Man>Have to work out a protocol to use too I suppose.
23:07<Snow-Man>Though it doesn't have to be very complex.
23:14<srl>What is the url for the mailing list?
23:23<srl>nm
23:42-!-FreddieD [qgdovai@CPE-65-26-9-73.kc.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
23:57-!-dopez [] has quit ["gn"]