Back to Home / #mythtv / 2008 / 02 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2008-02-07

---Logopened Thu Feb 07 00:00:04 2008
00:10-!-jamesd [n=jamesd@adsl-68-249-5-203.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
00:15-!-loops [n=sean@bas7-london14-1242448461.dsl.bell.ca] has quit ["Leaving"]
00:16-!-loops [n=sean@bas7-london14-1242448461.dsl.bell.ca] has joined #mythtv
00:16-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
00:23-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has joined #mythtv
00:39-!-adante_ [n=adante@124-171-211-158.dyn.iinet.net.au] has joined #mythtv
00:42-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
00:52-!-loops [n=sean@bas7-london14-1242448461.dsl.bell.ca] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
00:53-!-loops [n=sean@bas7-london14-1242448461.dsl.bell.ca] has joined #mythtv
00:55-!-adante [n=adante@124-171-211-158.dyn.iinet.net.au] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
00:55-!-adante_ is now known as adante
01:41-!-purserj [n=purserj@k-sit.com] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
01:58-!-ma9mwah|rugby [n=ma9mwah@ma9mwah.co.uk] has joined #mythtv
02:01-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-0-210.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #mythtv
02:01<xris>Anduin: you taking my ticket!?! ;)
02:03<Anduin>oops, you can have it back, I was just going over the last 400 that had piled up in the last two days and must have missed that it was already owned
02:06-!-splat1379 [n=splat1@rf1.splat1.com] has joined #mythtv
02:08<xris>was giving you a hard time
02:08<xris>hads and I were actually waiting for you to show up here again so we could bug you about it.
02:08<xris>it was only assigned to me because I'm "the bindings guy"
02:09-!-ma9mwah [n=ma9mwah@ma9mwah.co.uk] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
02:11<Chutt>148 tickets in the 'closed in the last week' report
02:11<Chutt>heh
02:11<Chutt>trac needs graphs
02:12<hads>Anduin: Hey, how's things? Any thoughts on that ticket?
02:13<xris>heh
02:16-!-splAt1 [i=[U2FsdGV@rf1.splat1.com] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
02:16-!-splat1379 is now known as splat1
02:17-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:18<Chutt>hey, neat, i only have 118 tickets
02:21<stuarta>nice work ;-)
02:21<Chutt>bah
02:21<Chutt>i'm going to be much less busy after 3gsm next week
02:22<Anduin>hads: I didn't actually look at it, just read the description and remembered talking about it.
02:23<hads>Anduin: Cool, xris and I were wondering if you had an opinion since you were the one that commited it to start with.
02:26-!-purserj [n=purserj@k-sit.com] has joined #mythtv
02:27<Anduin>hads: I like things moving in that direction, but I have no strong opinions about it. I do think I'll add to it when it makes it in (so I can make some of the other scripts work like the new ofdb.py).
02:28<hads>Anduin: Cool, sounds good.
02:30<hads>Well if it goes in before the release that would be cool since it would be in the standard python path. I understand if it's too close to release to do though.
02:31<Anduin>Yeah, I'll be lucky if I get what I hope in 0.21, luckily you are depending on xris :)
02:31<hads>:)
02:31<xris>I can probably get it in before release.. I just don't know python... so if anduin says it's cool, I'll put it in
02:32<xris>and hads, if anduin trusts your code, I'll trust you to review the other guy's stuff
02:32<Anduin>If I have to say it is cool it means I have to look at it... I'll just stop being lazy and do it.
02:32-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:32<hads>I think it makes sense to move it before release since it hasn't been in a release so there shouldn't be anything depending on it theoretically.
02:32-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
02:32<Anduin>Besides, I haven't seen a new official freeze date :)
02:33<Chutt>was waiting on the audio patch to get in
02:33<Chutt>but that's having issues..
02:33<hads>I didn't like that guy's last patch but I've noted that in the comments.
02:35<hads>Anduin: Basically the guy added mythlog which has a couple of classes in it and made some minor adjustments to MythDB to take arguments. Apart from that it's just moving around of the existing stuff.
02:37<Anduin>Yeah, I'll look it over, nothing uses it that I can't check for the release so I'm not going to worry, probably will not get to it until the weekend (still need to get the bjm menu fix done and in)
02:38<hads>Anduin: Cool, well if you do get a chance to look it over at some stage that'd be sweet. Thanks.
02:47-!-hads_ [n=hads@mail.nice.net.nz] has joined #mythtv
02:47-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:48-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
02:55-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit ["Konversation terminated!"]
02:58-!-otwin [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:58-!-otwin [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has joined #mythtv
02:59-!-hads [n=hads@reef80.anchor.net.au] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:02-!-otwin_ [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has joined #mythtv
03:02-!-otwin [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
03:02-!-hads [n=hads@reef80.anchor.net.au] has joined #mythtv
03:03-!-otwin_ is now known as otwin
03:03<justinh>hmmm seems that commit to cure the epg channel titles & icons didn't do the trick
03:05-!-hads_ [n=hads@mail.nice.net.nz] has quit ["leaving"]
03:12<justinh>eew. blue's graphics need a bit of tlc. same nasty corner jaggies as the default images used to have
03:13<justinh>aaand a segfault out of upcoming recordings. nice
03:13<justinh>reproducable too :-\
03:17-!-otwin_ [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has joined #mythtv
03:17-!-otwin [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
03:18-!-otwin_ is now known as otwin
03:22-!-otwin_ [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has joined #mythtv
03:22-!-otwin [n=otwin@217.31.79.224] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
03:23-!-otwin_ is now known as otwin
03:34-!-xris [n=xris@xris.forevermore.net] has quit []
03:37-!-kurre2_ [n=tomimo@a91-156-60-45.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has quit ["leaving"]
03:38-!-tomimo [n=kurre@a91-156-60-45.elisa-laajakaista.fi] has quit ["Gotta get going ..."]
03:44-!-zukex [n=zukex@dsl-olubrasgw1-fe4ffb00-58.dhcp.inet.fi] has joined #mythtv
03:45-!-zukex [n=zukex@dsl-olubrasgw1-fe4ffb00-58.dhcp.inet.fi] has left #mythtv ["Ex-Chat"]
03:48<justinh>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/justin.hornsby2/frontendsegfault.txt - upon exiting 'upcoming recordings'
04:05<Anduin>justinh: Line 77 or the stuff starting on 122 is wrong, the timer shouldn't have a parent or it shouldn't be deleteLater'ed.
04:06<kormoc>Whee power outages
04:13<Anduin>justinh: I'll check a fix in soon, waiting for a build after fixing several conflicts.
04:17-!-siXy [i=siXy@88.211.54.195] has joined #mythtv
04:34<kormoc>gbee, fyi, newest revision should fix your lack of popups
04:34<kormoc>(without wiggling that mouse that is)
04:35<gbee>kormoc: cool, thanks
04:35<kormoc>they might not position the best, but they'll be there
04:36-!-rod [n=rod@ppp121-44-201-176.lns3.mel4.internode.on.net] has joined #mythtv
04:37-!-Tanthrix_AFK [n=tanthrix@c-71-56-144-82.hsd1.or.comcast.net] has joined #mythtv
04:38<gbee>any chance of reducing the number of time strings for 0.21, or even using the time formats defined in mythfrontend? Everytime I lose the cookie I have to fix them all to use a 24hr format
04:38-!-Tanthrix [n=tanthrix@c-71-56-144-82.hsd1.or.comcast.net] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
04:39<kormoc>Sure, I can do that. Where/how are the time formats defined in mythfrontend?
04:40<gbee>two settings DateFormat and ShortDateFormat
04:41<gbee>and TimeFormat
04:42<gbee>they are in QTs time/date structure, so we need to convert them to something PHP date() can recognise
04:42*kormoc nods
04:43<gbee>http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qdatetime.html#toString
04:43<gbee>if it has to wait until after 0.21, then so be it but it's bugged me for a while so I thought I would ask
04:44<kormoc>kk, I'll poke at it and see what I can do
05:04<Anduin>justinh: anything special you are doing to cause the crash?
05:05<justinh>Anduin: just pressed ESC to exit
05:07<justinh>thought I'd better backtrace it incase nobody else spotted it :)
05:15<Anduin>Yeah, I'm having trouble reproducing it though can see what would cause it.
05:17<Anduin>justinh: any chance you can test a patch before I commit it?
05:17<justinh>sure. got access to my dev box from here
05:17<justinh>just about.. vnc over vnc :)
05:18<Anduin>http://www.anduin.com/t.patch
05:22<justinh>cheers. building it now
05:32<Anduin>justinh: any luck?
05:32<justinh>not finished building yet
05:33<Anduin>Ok, I'm just trying to fight the urge to commit and go to bed :)
05:34<justinh>might be a while, this....
05:34<justinh>slow machine ;)
05:35-!-_trisooma_ [n=nowday@ip503ce012.speed.planet.nl] has joined #mythtv
05:35-!-_trisooma_ [n=nowday@ip503ce012.speed.planet.nl] has quit [Client Quit]
05:35-!-trisooma [n=nowday@ip503ce012.speed.planet.nl] has joined #mythtv
05:53-!-PointyPumper [i=Pintlezz@190.19.128.73] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
06:12-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-a858517386e0cc75] has joined #mythtv
06:17-!-mac_ [n=root@219-90-172-46.ip.adam.com.au] has joined #mythtv
06:22-!-mac_ [n=root@219-90-172-46.ip.adam.com.au] has quit [Client Quit]
06:22-!-mac_ [n=root@219-90-172-46.ip.adam.com.au] has joined #mythtv
06:30-!-mac_ [n=root@219-90-172-46.ip.adam.com.au] has quit []
06:50-!-_Ergo_ [n=Miranda@xdsl-2357.lodz.dialog.net.pl] has joined #mythTV
06:52-!-MrGandalf [i=mgandalf@cpe-72-225-32-214.rochester.res.rr.com] has quit ["work"]
07:12<justinh>finally! /me tries the patch
07:16<justinh>seems to be fine now :)
07:24-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-a858517386e0cc75] has quit ["http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client"]
07:27-!-jblack [n=jblack@pool-71-173-53-239.sctnpa.east.verizon.net] has joined #mythtv
07:28<jblack>Would I be crazy to think there's slight improvements in commercial detect between 0.20 and 0.20.99 ?
07:28<jblack>sorry. wrong channel
07:28-!-jblack [n=jblack@pool-71-173-53-239.sctnpa.east.verizon.net] has left #mythtv []
07:43-!-lsobral [n=sobral@200.184.118.132] has joined #mythtv
07:48-!-PointyPumper [i=Pintlezz@190.19.128.73] has joined #mythtv
07:51-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-794ac507393d6ebe] has joined #mythtv
08:04-!-skamithi [n=skamithi@cpe-071-077-065-246.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
08:04<justinh>skamithi: wb. missed you so didn't get a chance to suggest looking at contexts in mythappearance, mythmusic et al ;)
08:05<justinh>skamithi: it's not the end of the world if you don't bother - it'd just be nice to see less replication of common ui stuff in xml files. it's all gonna go way with mythui anyway
08:07<skamithi>justinh: thx for the tip about context. also thx for finding the viewscheduled mistake. dunno how i missed that. time to fix up whatever other mess i caused with [15753].
08:10<justinh>np :)
08:14<justinh>getting into the habit of reporting problems properly. bit of an inconvenience but worth it for everybody's benefit
08:49-!-fuhgawz [n=beexwax@185.152.229.201.f.sta.codetel.net.do] has joined #mythtv
09:15-!-danielk22 [n=danielk@p78-22.acedsl.com] has joined #mythtv
09:15<gbee>skamithi: contexts are pretty simple, add <context>1</context> to anything in the theme that you only want to be displayed conditionally then use SetContext(1); SetContext(2); etc in the code to switch
09:16<skamithi>gbee: thx.
09:17<gbee>alternate areas are also handy for what you are doing - e.g. in the Watch Recordings screen, when you have the preview image disabled the text uses the full width of the screen
09:18<justinh>oh _that_ is what they're for!
09:18<justinh>take it you have to look in the code to find that one out
09:19<gbee>the description textarea etc is defined with two positioning/areas, and you can switch between them using textarea->UseAlternateArea(); (might have the method name wrong)
09:19<justinh>I've known about altarea for yonks just never realised what it was for
09:19<gbee>means that you only need define the textarea once in the theme, but it gets used for both cases
09:20<justinh>why did that other inclusion in ui.xml need to replicate the whole of a window again?
09:20<justinh>the last one...
09:21<justinh>can't remember which it was now - chose to ignore it IIRC
09:22<gbee>skamithi: playbackbox might be a good example of using contexts and alternate areas to re-use parts of a theme with slightly different layouts - that window is used by both "Watch Recordings" and "Delete Recordings" with differences handled by contexts and altareas
09:23<justinh>I think there was a new OSD menu item to watch recordings which jumped to a new area in ui.xml which to me looked just like a line for line copy of an existing one
09:25<skamithi>gbee: thx. so i'm supposed to use contexts and alternate areas, then the playback-video "window" defined in ui.xml is wrong ? and needs to also be changed and merged into the "playback" window and the use of contexts and alternate areas should be done there as well ?
09:25<justinh>skamithi: yeah that was the one I was thinking of
09:25<justinh>not absolutely, but it'd be 'nice' :)
09:26<gbee>skamithi: preferably, it makes theming much easier if common layouts aren't duplicated
09:26-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
09:26*gbee left the playback-video window out of metallurgy because it was too much hassle
09:27<justinh>I _think_ I left them out. I intended to, anyway
09:27<justinh>never had a problem report about it for sure
09:29<gbee>seems to be an issue with the alsa muting patch, since it went in I've been finding PCM getting muted when I start playback
09:30<justinh>come to think about it, 2 or 3 (or even 4) areas in ui.xml could be merged into one.
09:31<gbee>justinh: there are plenty of other examples and I'd venture to say that merging them before mythui wouldn't be a complete waste of time, it would make the move to mythui easier
09:31<justinh>I was about to suggest that :)
09:31<justinh>nice little exercise for somebody not quite very experienced in the code..
09:31<gbee>:)
09:36-!-skamithi [n=skamithi@cpe-071-077-065-246.nc.res.rr.com] has quit ["WeeChat 0.2.3"]
09:56-!-skamithi [n=skamithi@cpe-071-077-065-246.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
09:58-!-_Ergo_ [n=Miranda@xdsl-2357.lodz.dialog.net.pl] has quit ["Miranda IM! Smaller, Faster, Easier. http://miranda-im.org"]
10:01-!-trisooma [n=nowday@ip503ce012.speed.planet.nl] has quit []
10:10-!-MrGandalf [i=mgandalf@cpe-72-225-42-190.rochester.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
10:15-!-MGisbers [n=mgisbers@dslb-088-076-156-238.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #mythtv
10:38-!-moodboom [n=moodboom@cpe-075-177-134-090.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
10:56-!-tomimo [n=kurre@xdsl-83-150-88-111.nebulazone.fi] has joined #mythtv
11:14-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has joined #mythtv
11:24-!-jmk_ [n=jmk@64.73.34.172] has joined #mythtv
11:24-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-794ac507393d6ebe] has quit ["http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client"]
11:27-!-adac2 [n=adac2@host247-44-static.61-88-b.business.telecomitalia.it] has joined #mythtv
11:51<adac2>would you consider 2 gigs of ram for hdtv?
11:52<Anduin>adac2: #mythtv-users
11:52<adac2>ah sorry wrong place
11:54-!-hendrixski [n=hendrixs@cpe-74-65-1-222.rochester.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
11:59<hendrixski>:-/ I've been debugging with print statements, and I want to grow a pair and start using a debugger to check for values of while mythtv is running. Would Valgrind be too much to start with, or would gdb be good enough? Is either easier?
11:59<stuarta>valgrind is for tracking memory faults
12:00<stuarta>gdb is what you want
12:00<justinh>print/VERBOSE serves my needs nicely :)
12:00<stuarta>me too
12:01<GreyFoxx>I use gdb, and kbdg (gui frontend to gdb). But the vasty majority I use print statements :)
12:01<stuarta>don't think i've needed to go as deep as gdb and stepping through code
12:01<stuarta>main problem is myth is quite realtime
12:01<hendrixski>stuarta, ah, yeah I couldn't quite figure out whether or not valgrind does that from reading their page
12:01<GreyFoxx>Stepping through is how I've found some of the bugs I've run into, but print statements are usually enough
12:01<stuarta>GreyFoxx: kgdb better than ddd?
12:01<hendrixski>so from googling, I understand, what I'm looking to do is called "step through" in places where I set a "breakpoint" right?
12:02<stuarta>which is quite frankly a bit crap
12:02<GreyFoxx>stuart never tried ddd honestly
12:02<GreyFoxx>kbdg is pretty good really
12:02<stuarta>old school X program
12:02<stuarta>ie. in the style of old sun xwindows programs
12:02<stuarta>pretty it aint
12:02<GreyFoxx>yeah I saw it once, never used it though :)
12:02<GreyFoxx>hehe
12:03<hendrixski>GreyFoxx, there are gnome frontends too right? should be easy enough to figure out... are there any manuals on stepping through code that you would recommend... specifically anything on stepping through mythtv?
12:03*stuarta guesses ggdb
12:04<stuarta>stepping through stuff in a debugger is a generic operation
12:04<GreyFoxx>hendrixski: No idea if there are any gnome ones really :)
12:04<stuarta>you just can't do it on realtime code
12:04<GreyFoxx>I don't really use gnhome or KDE, I've just used kdbg as I saw it one freshmeat.net years ago and have used it since :)
12:04<hendrixski>ah, Ok
12:05<GreyFoxx>gnome/kde are too bloating and slow for my uses
12:05<hendrixski>stuarta, oh... so I'm working myself up over nothing.. this should be easy to learn?
12:05<GreyFoxx>in kdbg stepping is as simple as hitting "f8"
12:05<Vaelys>xmonad 4ever
12:05<Vaelys>10k or less
12:05<GreyFoxx>hehe or f10 to step over a function
12:05<stuarta>yeah it's fairly simple
12:06<stuarta>suggest trying it on your own 10 line C program first to get the hang of it
12:06<hendrixski>stuarta, heh, yeah before diving into the 1093844910219848 line mythtv program with a an unfamiliar tool
12:06<hendrixski>alrighty. thanks :-) I'll get hacking
12:07<stuarta>debugging is definitely part artform, part having a clue
12:07-!-siXy [i=siXy@88.211.54.195] has quit ["bye!"]
12:11<sphery>unfortunately most debuggers don't come with clue options...
12:11<stuarta>keeping a piece of 4 by 2 handy is useful
12:11<janneg>core mythtv has 670kloc according to slocount
12:12<justinh>segfaults just look like random splurge to me still
12:12<justinh>then again I've yet to man gdb
12:14*stuarta goes home
12:18-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
12:18-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
12:28-!-\S2 [n=s2@host113-197-dynamic.8-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has joined #mythtv
12:28-!-\S2 is now known as S2
12:29<GreyFoxx># query location
12:29<GreyFoxx>Playback Video 00:24:26 1x /data/video/Movies/Chicken Run.avi 36674 25
12:29<GreyFoxx>yay, now I can spy on my kid at home hehe
12:31<justinh>:)
12:32<justinh>I was thinking some more about parental controls on the way to work today. maybe there could be a timer too :)
12:32<GreyFoxx>After 9pm you just get a "Go to bed!~" message :)
12:32<justinh>might be going more the way of mythbabysitter, that though :)
12:33<justinh>if it's just a kids' frontend, just have a halt cronjob :)
12:37<gbee>skamithi: I'm implementing a method which will allow use to query the length of the main title from a DVD iso for display in mythvideo, it works for DVDs without a menu but I must be missing something for DVDs with menus - mind taking a look? http://pastebin.ca/895222
12:38<gbee>it looks like PlayTitleAndPart(1, 1); doesn't by itself mean that we switch to the main title, it works for normal playback but not where we are just opening the ringbuffer to query the DVD
12:39-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-1381fa207d4fa7a0] has joined #mythtv
12:40-!-xris [n=xris@xris.forevermore.net] has joined #mythtv
12:44<hendrixski>now, to run a mythtv plugin through gdb, do I need to set "-compile-type=debug" on mythtv itself, or is it enough to set that flag on *just* that one plugin?
12:45<justinh>interesting question. I'd guess all of the above
12:45<justinh>dunno for sure - that's pure conjecture ;)
12:46*justinh goes home
12:46<GreyFoxx>Compile mythtv with debug, then after a make clean recompile the plugins
12:49-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-1381fa207d4fa7a0] has quit ["http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client"]
12:49<hendrixski>GreyFoxx, k. that's gonna take a while.... so, lunch time for me :-)
12:53*gbee plays musical chairs with the call to PlayTitleAndPart()
12:54<gbee>cool, that actually worked
12:55<gbee>skamithi: fixed it
12:58-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-0-210.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
13:01<skamithi>gbee: okay cool. i'm working on changing some code related to still frames to fix #4173 so that change when its done will probably affect what u are doing. hopefully it fix stuff instead of making it worse :)
13:02-!-janneg [n=janne@v29714.1blu.de] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:03<gbee>skamithi: ok, these changes I making probably won't get into trunk for a while
13:03<sphery>Hmmm. GetFilesystemInfos() in programs/mythbackend/backendutil.cpp is used to get information about filesystems for directories in StorageGroups. Since StorageGroups are going to be used by plugins and my DB backup code (currently in libmyth), does it make sense to move GetFilesystemInfos() to libs/libmyth/util.cpp or even to a new class (allowing the sorting/preference code to be reusable) in libmyth?
13:04<sphery>It doesn't seem right to use a function in programs/mythbackend/backendutil.cpp in libmyth code that's used by mythfrontend, mythtv-setup, and mythbackend
13:05-!-dekarl [n=deKarl@dslb-084-058-091-221.pools.arcor-ip.net] has quit [Read error: 131 (Connection reset by peer)]
13:08<sphery>Guess I need to talk to Captain_Murdoch. ^^^ (if you see this in scrollback)
13:10-!-dekarl [n=deKarl@dslb-084-058-091-221.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #mythtv
13:13-!-dekarl [n=deKarl@dslb-084-058-091-221.pools.arcor-ip.net] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
13:16-!-dekarl [n=deKarl@dslb-084-058-091-221.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #mythtv
13:19-!-dekarl [n=deKarl@dslb-084-058-091-221.pools.arcor-ip.net] has left #mythtv []
13:20-!-jgarvey [n=jgarvey@cpe-024-163-032-204.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
13:22<sphery>Captain_Murdoch: nevermind... I think StorageGroup::FindNextDirMostFree() should work for all of my works in progress (DB Backups, Thumbnails).
13:34-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-0-210.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #mythtv
13:37-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-0-210.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has quit [Client Quit]
13:45<sphery>danielk22: I noticed that in all the cases where we use createTempFile() (from libs/libmyth/util.cpp +856 , the caller of createTempFile() makes a QDeepCopy of the QString. Any reason why createTempFile() doesn't just return QDeepCopy<QString>(tmpFileName); ? (Not really important, just wondering.)
13:52<gbee>backend auto-detection selection is no longer working, I've two backends on the network but neither is listed (used to work fine)
13:54<danielk22>sphery: it's not needed, the result of createTempFile() is safe, the users of the function are probably just defensively programmed...
13:55<danielk22>FYI name_template.ascii(); within util.cpp is not thread safe :[
13:55-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has quit []
13:56<sphery>danielk22: Not thread safe meaning I should only use it from a single thread or not thread safe meaning it's only usable from the QT main thread?
13:57-!-janneg [n=janne@v29714.1blu.de] has joined #mythtv
13:58<danielk22>not thread safe meaning if you use a non-deep copy of name_template in another thread while createTempFile is using the ascii c string bad things will happen.
13:58<sphery>gbee: Could it be the "always write the last-selected info into config.xml" change for MythWeb? http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4265 (specifically [15632] and [15647])
13:59<gbee>sphery: hard to see how, I get the selection screen when I force it with -p, but no servers show up
13:59<danielk22>in qt4 you could fix this by making a deep copy within createTempFile before using ascii() but in qt3 deep copies themselves are not thread safe so they must be done before a string is used in other threads.
13:59-!-kurre2_ [n=tomimo@xdsl-83-150-88-111.nebulazone.fi] has joined #mythtv
14:00-!-kurre2_ [n=tomimo@xdsl-83-150-88-111.nebulazone.fi] has quit [Client Quit]
14:00<sphery>danielk22: OK. That works for me (pretty certain). Last time I uses something not thread safe, it was a "must be in the QT main thread" thing and caused segfaults, so I wanted to make sure that's not it. Thanks for the info, too.
14:00<xris>sphery: that wasn't for mythweb..
14:00*sphery says MythWeb when he means "all of that xris Perl stuff"...
14:01-!-kurre2_ [n=tomimo@xdsl-83-150-88-111.nebulazone.fi] has joined #mythtv
14:01-!-kurre2_ [n=tomimo@xdsl-83-150-88-111.nebulazone.fi] has quit [Client Quit]
14:01<xris>apparently. :)
14:01<xris>except that mythweb isn't perl. :P
14:01<sphery>Yeah. I know that, but my fingers still type MythWeb... :)
14:01-!-kurre2 [n=tomimo@xdsl-83-150-88-111.nebulazone.fi] has joined #mythtv
14:02<xris>brb
14:02-!-xris [n=xris@xris.forevermore.net] has quit []
14:06-!-xris [n=xris@xris.forevermore.net] has joined #mythtv
14:09-!-S2 [n=s2@host113-197-dynamic.8-87-r.retail.telecomitalia.it] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
14:10<gbee>odd ... are we pulling in any other mythtv libs except those in /usr/(local/)lib/ at runtime? Seeing some weird behaviour with two different versions of the libraries installed, despite them having different version numbers
14:11<MrGandalf>gbee: the first defined in the ld cache should be the one used. ldd should show you that
14:12<janneg>gbee: depends on ld, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_PRELOAD and probably something more
14:12<MrGandalf>or if you have LD_PRELOAD env defined.
14:12<gbee>MrGandalf: well that would explain it, annoying though - what's the point of versioning the libs if that's just ignored?
14:12<MrGandalf>it links against the base .so. That should be symlinked to the version you want to use.
14:14-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has joined #mythtv
14:14<MrGandalf>but myth doesn't increment the lib version except on releases
14:14<gbee>but that's the point, how is libmythupnp-0.21.so.0.21.0 the same as libmythupnp-0.20.so.0.20.0 etc
14:14<MrGandalf>it shouldn't be
14:15<MrGandalf>it should want one or the other.
14:15<gbee>exactly, but I'm still seeing weird problems - weird because they are symbol errors which I'd expect but instability and fonts etc disappearing
14:16<gbee>I can't see another cause, when I re-install one version or the other it's fixed - although both installs use the same prefix, they have different config/share directories
14:16<gbee>so that just leaves the headers and libs which might cause problems
14:17*gbee shrugs
14:17<gbee>it's not that important, I'm only juggling two versions in this way on a temporary basis
14:19<MrGandalf>gbee: plugins maybe?
14:19-!-dekarl [n=deKarl@dslb-084-058-055-216.pools.arcor-ip.net] has joined #mythtv
14:20<MrGandalf>they aren't versioned and one version would overwrite the other
14:23<gbee>MrGandalf: no plugins installed and it wouldn't explain the symptoms I'm seeing
14:32-!-|gunni| [n=Gunni@xdsl-81-173-252-47.netcologne.de] has joined #mythtv
14:37<Chutt>gbee, i want #4593 in as it is. no $HOME, no run
14:37-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-44-214.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #mythtv
14:38<jams>heh guess that ends the discussion.
14:38<gbee>Chutt: well I agree, hence my reply to anon
14:38<Chutt>yay!
14:39<jams>Chutt- any time given to a a smolt url?
14:39<Chutt>no!
14:39<Chutt>heh
14:39<Chutt>sorry
14:39<jams>eh ok
14:39<Chutt>i'm crazy busy right now
14:39<Chutt>until next week
14:39<Chutt>then i should be able to sleep again
14:39<gbee>I doubted that anon actually had a *good* reason and he/she knows it
14:40<jams>just checking, i will continue to wait
14:41-!-adac2 [n=adac2@host247-44-static.61-88-b.business.telecomitalia.it] has left #mythtv ["wech"]
14:42<jams>gbee- suppose the ticket should be closed ?
14:44<gbee>jams: I think it's still open because of the discussion over win32 and HOME in libdvdnav
14:45<gbee>although those are unrelated to ticket, so I can't see a reason to leave it open I guess
14:47<jams>gbee- just for kicks i'm going to add an "about mythtv" box to the popup menu. I'm thinking it would be useful for finding the version info + plus a few other things.
14:49<gbee>jams: I like the thought
14:52<jams>hmm the version is already listed under the status screen.
14:54<sphery>Still wouldn't be bad in an about dialog (might be easier to find). I'm wondering if you're going to do the "Getting Started with MythTV" intro wizard... :)
14:54<jams>well i still like the idea
14:56<jams>hehe i will pass on the "Getting Started with MythTV" intro wizard"
14:57<jams>Could even have it read in a file in case distro's wanted to add their own little blub. If the file isn't found then skip that step.
15:00-!-nordenm [n=nordenm@ofylutib.brj.sgsnet.se] has quit []
15:00<sphery>that would make debugging fun: "I'm using MythTV version Scary Spider..."
15:08-!-Beirdo_ [n=gjhurlbu@unaffiliated/beirdo] has joined #mythtv
15:10-!-Beirdo [n=gjhurlbu@unaffiliated/beirdo] has quit [Nick collision from services.]
15:10-!-Beirdo_ is now known as Beirdo
15:16-!-yalu [n=yalu@62.235.162.79] has joined #mythtv
15:16-!-yalu [n=yalu@62.235.162.79] has left #mythtv []
15:17<justinh>sphery: might limit how many versions we can have though. there are only so many things you can call Scary :P
15:22<justinh>damn I can't remember what I wanted to test after I'd powered my dev box down this afternoon
15:24<kormoc>justinh, Scary Butterfly!
15:26<sphery>Anyone have any issues with making it so only mythtv-setup and mythbackend can upgrade the DB schema? IMHO, with the new UPnP auto-discovery code, allowing any frontend to upgrade the schema is kind of scary. Shouldn't be an intrusive change (just add an upgradeAllowed argument, default true, to UpgradeTVDatabaseSchema() and call the function with a false from mythfrontend)
15:26<sphery>I think Chutt is the one with the strongest feelings... ^^^
15:26<justinh>sphery: the other night when I ran mythfrontend it asked if I wanted to update the schema, then proceeded to fail to
15:27<Chutt>as long as it's a refuse to start
15:27<Chutt>it's fine.
15:27<justinh>mythtv-setup did the job though
15:27<sphery>Chutt: Cool. Thanks. I'll work a patch.
15:30-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit []
15:31<Chutt>sphery, and you handle the frontend running at a lower rev than backend, etc
15:34<sphery>How do you want that handled? Exit if frontend rev is too low or allow it?
15:34<Chutt>warn + exit
15:34<Chutt>it's just as dangerous as running a higher rev
15:34<sphery>OK. That might require more changes (haven't looked into it), but will do.
15:39<justinh>anybody care to share their opinion of http://www.mythtvthemes.co.uk/images/nooblue.png ? old blue text outline box vs a possible replacement...
15:40<justinh>bit of a mission to get rid of more jaggies
15:42<sphery>I like it a /lot/ better.
15:42<GreyFoxx>the new one looks nicer yeah
15:42<justinh>core themes needn't be so unloved ;)
15:43-!-nordenm [n=nordenm@ofylutib.brj.sgsnet.se] has joined #mythtv
15:45<jams>justinh- did you add mythappearance at the end of an exisiting menu list or someplace in the middle?
15:46-!-mattwire [n=mattwire@host86-141-124-224.range86-141.btcentralplus.com] has joined #mythtv
15:49-!-danielk22 [n=danielk@p78-22.acedsl.com] has quit []
16:06-!-trisooma [n=remko@82.95.240.160] has joined #mythtv
16:09<justinh>jams: it's built into mythfrontend now, in the default menu it's under the normal appearance menu. sorry for the changeroony
16:10<jams>justinh- right, but where did you add it? is it at the bottom of the list?
16:10<justinh>also moved in the classic & dvr menus to next to the main appearance menu item
16:10<justinh>shouldn't be
16:10<jams>ok
16:10<jams>if it's at the bottom of the list it causes no problems, otherwise I will need to modify the menuwalk program.
16:11<justinh>changeset for menus is 15759
16:13<jams>k
16:14<jams>shouldn't be a big deal
16:15<gbee>justinh: that newblue look some effect built into photoshop or psp?
16:15-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
16:17<justinh>psp - combination of vector rectangles & raster effects
16:17<justinh>I should really start messing around with GIMP scripting
16:17<justinh>though I think that might be where the jaggies originated
16:18<justinh>as I think I've said numerous times before I can't abide photoshop's non 1:1 preview rendering. only got 2GB RAM so using a higher base res isn't a solution either ;)
16:18<jams>gbee- i'm using mythdialog box for the about screen..any way to increase the size of the text area?
16:18<jams>my label is being cut off
16:19<gbee>jams: not without editing the theme
16:19<jams>ok
16:19<jams>this change was much easier then anticpated
16:20<gbee>which is a yes, but remember that it's used for every popup so don't make it too big otherwise it will look silly everywhere else
16:20<jams>with the default themes, version info is about all that will fit.
16:20<gbee>if it's not suitable then you can just create a whole new screen (popup) for the purpose
16:21<justinh>wonder if anybody still has the original GIMP scripts used to make the default images
16:21<justinh>if indeed they were scripted
16:21<jams>yeah i'm just going with version info..should fit. Right now i have a dummy messag.
16:22<jams>justinh- i don't think they were
16:22<justinh>ahh now I remember what I was gonna test earlier. it'll wait
16:22-!-Mikeee [n=mikael@c-c1d3e155.98-6-64736c12.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se] has joined #mythtv
16:22-!-mattwire [n=mattwire@host86-141-124-224.range86-141.btcentralplus.com] has quit ["Leaving"]
16:22-!-Mikeee [n=mikael@c-c1d3e155.98-6-64736c12.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se] has left #mythtv []
16:23*gbee is getting frustrated trying to watching a recording over a flaky wireless connection
16:23<gbee>not normally flaky, dunno what's wrong tonight
16:24<justinh>http://www.mythtvthemes.co.uk/images/nooblue2.png
16:24<gbee>oh great, now it's segfaulting whenever it reaches a certain part of the video
16:24<stuarta>evening
16:24*justinh waves
16:25*gbee mumbles 'hello' whilst wrestling with gdb
16:25*stuarta decides to get really drunk
16:26<sphery>How many TiVo users get to wrestle with gbd when they're trying to watch TV?
16:26<stuarta>not many
16:27<justinh>how many tivo users get to debug faults in their machine?
16:27<justinh>we're so lucky!
16:27<justinh>;)
16:27<justinh>AHHH that funny icon in blue is for autoexpire!
16:28<justinh>looks like a tall hat or something :)
16:28-!-MrGandalf [i=mgandalf@cpe-72-225-42-190.rochester.res.rr.com] has quit ["home"]
16:29<gbee>sphery: was that meant to make me feel better ? ;)
16:30<justinh>why is the commflagged icon in GANT a toilet roll? rofl
16:31<justinh>aanyway I have a documentary I want to watch .. ttfn
16:34<jams>http://jmeyer.us/screens/main-popup1.png & http://jmeyer.us/screens/main-popup2.png
16:35<trisooma>hads: can you post your new version of mythvideo class (related to #4600); I couldn't find them in your latest diffs?
16:37<hads>trisooma: Sorry, forgot to svn add the new file, I'll upload a new diff now.
16:37<sphery>Chutt: do you want to allow running backends (or mythtv-setup) when the schemaver of the active db > the backend's schemaver (i.e. old schemaver slave backend)? Just warn/exit for those, too?
16:38<trisooma>hads: great thanks, i'll try to conform to current standards (these were unknown to me) - but practice makes perfect
16:40<hads>trisooma: Done :)
16:40<sphery>jams: Nice. Do you think a line feed would look better (version line is cutting it very close). I.e. Myth version:\n0.21.20080114-1\n\nMythTV Revision:\nUnknown. Would also allow using "MythTV" for both.
16:40<sphery>jams: Might also want to check with gbee that you're using the "right" version number string.
16:41<gbee>jams, sphery: heh, I was just about to say something about that ;)
16:42<gbee>typo in 'revision'
16:43<jams>http://paste.bigbudden.com/view.php?id=14403
16:43<jams>thats the code i'm using
16:43<trisooma>hads: is ik ok if i remove the args parameter from mythdb completely, and let mythdb access sys.argv by itself.... this way devs don't have to pass around args?
16:44<trisooma>hads: this way overriding (using cmd parameters) can always be done?
16:44<hads>trisooma: Sure, makes more sense to me.
16:44<jams>the fact it's "Unknown" is just this machine, for whatever reason it always says that.
16:46<hads>trisooma: Base it off my last patch if possible.
16:47<jams>sphery- i used the same source for the version number as the status box.
16:48<trisooma>hads: consider it done !
16:48<trisooma>hads: im learning mythtv standards as i go along (comments are fully understood)
16:49<gbee>jams: using svn export on the code? Anyway, thanks for pointing out that I need to fix the status box
16:49<jams>gbee- heh
16:49<jams>gbee- the unknown happens when i make the package.
16:50<hads>trisooma: Cool. In my comment on your last patch I was more referring to Python standards (docstrings rather than # comments).
16:50<jams>so um what should be the source for the version number?
16:50<gbee>the binary version (lib version) is basically useless as an indicator of version, or at least less useful than svn revision+branch
16:50<gbee>mythfrontend --version
16:50<gbee>(with trunk)
16:51<jams>oh i agree, just didn't want to rock the boat and have multiple version strings reported.
16:51<jams>so revision and branch?
16:51<gbee>jams: preferably
16:51<jams>i would love to report the whole thing, but it's not going to fit.
16:51-!-cattelan [n=cattelan@ip65-44-182-162.z182-44-65.customer.algx.net] has joined #mythtv
16:51<hads>trisooma: BTW having a "By: trisooma" comment in a file that I wrote irked me a little :)
16:52<trisooma>hads: lol, those are also quite unknown to me; i'm more of a C/C++ guy
16:52<gbee>jams: might want to create a new window for that reason, though it's not as straightfoward as using MythDialogBox unfortunately
16:52<trisooma>hads: i got that..
16:52<jams>gbee- could try, but i think it would look strange.
16:53<trisooma>hads: By: ..... seems quite ridiculous actually, since svn keeps tracks of that stuff
16:54<trisooma>hads: will focus on functionality now, since a base has been established
16:56<hads>trisooma: Sweet :) Anduin mentioned that he will try to take a look over the weekend so hopefully it will be commited at some stage then it will be easier to create diffs for added functionality.
16:56<hads>trisooma: BTW I have a couple of methods relating to storage groups here which I'll post after it's commited in case you are working on the same thing.
16:58<trisooma>hads: great im looking at the perl bindings to see if i can try to get the same functionality (i'll skip storage group related stuff if i find any)
16:58<jams>gbee , sphery http://jmeyer.us/screens/main-popup3.png
16:58-!-reynaldo [n=rverdejo@190-82-43-97.adsl.cust.tie.cl] has quit ["Lost terminal"]
16:59<gbee>jams: looking good
17:00<jams>works for me
17:01<jams>thats all that fits in the window!
17:01<jams>now to redo my logic for when to show the reboot buttons && make another patch.
17:04<sphery>Nice.
17:08<sphery>gbee: with #4612 submitted, think locking #4593 is OK? (HOME dir stuff)
17:09<gbee>should be
17:13<gbee>some bugs with the alsa mute stuff, a couple of times now I've started playback and the PCM device has been muted
17:14<gbee>I've had to manually un-mute it through the alsa mixer
17:19-!-zachman123 [n=zach@c-68-40-177-90.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has joined #mythtv
17:20-!-turbo is now known as briand
17:22<jams>sphery- http://jmeyer.us/screens/main-popup4.png
17:23<sphery>rotfl
17:23<jams>if /etc/mythrelease is not present then that last line doesn't appear.
17:23<jams>i should change the name of that file to something that makes more sense.
17:24-!-reynaldo [n=rverdejo@190-82-43-97.adsl.cust.tie.cl] has joined #mythtv
17:24<sphery>I like the idea, though. It would be nice to have a similar "so distro packagers can still get the 0.20-fixes rev in their builds" thing for the myth<program> --version stuff.
17:25-!-skamithi [n=skamithi@cpe-071-077-065-246.nc.res.rr.com] has quit ["WeeChat 0.2.3"]
17:25<jams>wouldn't be that hard to add it in
17:25<GreyFoxx>jams: I like the about type popup
17:25<GreyFoxx>lots of people we talk to in -users have no idea what version they are running :)
17:26<sphery>Yeah. I remember a huge discussion (that I only peripherally watched) about why it had to be done the way it's done, so I don't know if that was considered back then...
17:26<jams>GreyFoxx- very true.
17:26<sphery>GreyFoxx: He has a real one, but main-popup4.png was a "special" one for me.
17:30<jams>changed the name of file to /etc/os_myth_release, think that makes more sense for the special distro line.
17:32<sphery>Looks like the --version discussion was in http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/885 , http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/175945#175945 , and http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/174212#174212
17:32<sphery>jams: would something under /usr/{,local/}share/mythtv be better than /etc?
17:33<jams>i was thinking that at first, but then thought it's more distro then myth related.
17:33<jams>honestly i could care less where it ends up.
17:37<gbee>Cardoe, superm1 etc have some method of getting the correct information into their packages, dunno what it is though
17:37<sphery>Hmmm. If there is no .svn directory ..., svnversion says "exported." If no svnversion binary, the version will be Unknown.
17:38<sphery>Looks like just modifying the "echo Unknown" in version.pro to cat some file (possibly truncating after so many bytes) might work...
17:39<sphery>I'll have to ask how Cardoe and superm1 do it...
17:39-!-zachman123 [n=zach@c-68-40-177-90.hsd1.mi.comcast.net] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:40<jams>gbee- are you suggesting that last line in the popup is not required ?
17:42<gbee>jams: no, just that they are able to preserve the revision/branch info when building the packages
17:42-!-MavT [n=Maverick@111.86.233.220.exetel.com.au] has joined #mythtv
17:42<jams>ah
17:43<sphery>he was telling me that it's not "Unknown" in --version for all package users. :)
17:44-!-trisooma [n=remko@82.95.240.160] has quit ["Enuff for today"]
17:44<gbee>it's a shame that svn doesn't have some method for updating a version string when you svn up
17:45<stuarta>should have something equivalent to CVS's $Id$ tag
17:46<stuarta>#define VERSION "$Id$"
17:46<jams>strange, when i issue a svnversion inside the pkgbuild process it has the right number
17:46<gbee>stuarta: it does, but that only versions a particular file, in other words you'd have to modify version.pro with every commit to update the version string in it
17:47<stuarta>hmmm
17:48<gbee>what svn really needs is the ability to set a rule - "update version.pro on every checkout/update"
17:48<Cardoe>gbee: pixee dust
17:48<Cardoe>sphery: hey what's up?
17:48<stuarta>i'm all outta pixee dust
17:48<gbee>could be done with a post-commit hook, but then every other revision would be a change to version.pro
17:49<stuarta>that ain't gunna happen
17:49*gbee looked at this in a lot of detail months ago
17:50-!-RMC [n=cattelan@ip65-44-182-162.z182-44-65.customer.algx.net] has joined #mythtv
17:53-!-jgarvey [n=jgarvey@cpe-024-163-032-204.nc.res.rr.com] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:58<jams>man i hate the way trac does attachments
18:01-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:01<sphery>too slow...
18:01<sphery>I'll catch him later
18:02<janneg>stuarta: the eitcache looking gives the same serialisation point
18:02<stuarta>isn't that what i said
18:02<stuarta>?
18:03*janneg goes read the mail again
18:04<janneg>hmm, I thought you meant only the static eitcache and not the locking I implemented earlier
18:04<stuarta>i was meaning the locking internal to the cache
18:05-!-MaverickTech [n=Maverick@111.86.233.220.exetel.com.au] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
18:05-!-reynaldo [n=rverdejo@190-82-43-97.adsl.cust.tie.cl] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
18:05<janneg>I was talking about the locking per channel
18:06<stuarta>which now doesn't happen since there is only one cache
18:06<stuarta>i mean it locks it
18:06<superm1>gbee, its with a sed line when the package .tar.gz is being built
18:06<janneg>you're forgetting multiple backends
18:06<superm1>let me grab it and show you
18:06<stuarta>but there is no other cache that want's accesss
18:06<stuarta>ah
18:07<stuarta>multiple BE's
18:08<stuarta>right that's a case we haven't coded for
18:08<superm1>gbee, http://paste.ubuntu.com/4329/
18:08-!-cal_ [i=cal@yossman.net] has joined #mythtv
18:08<superm1>gbee, with SVN_REVISION being queried and stored in the changelog every time a new .tar.gz gets built
18:08<janneg>the problem is not the eit cache, it's a corner case in the updating of dbevents burried somewhere in eit.cpp
18:09<stuarta>are we happy that the single BE case works okay?
18:09-!-cal_ [i=cal@yossman.net] has quit [Excess Flood]
18:09-!-cal_ [i=cal@yossman.net] has joined #mythtv
18:10<janneg>I don't care and I have a slave backend
18:10<stuarta>i'm happy with that at least
18:11<gbee>superm1: thanks
18:12*jams gives that sed line a try
18:14<sphery>superm1: Do you know if that's how Cardoe is doing it?
18:14<stuarta>janneg: i think it's a problem that won't be solved properly until there is 1 master eit_scanner, which controls the rest of them
18:14<janneg>the eit validation patch is bad, it should either rejected earlier (before it's completely parsed) or later not DVB EIT specific
18:14<superm1>sphery, i'd expect so, but you can check likely from his ebuild
18:16<janneg>stuarta: yeah, I think so too. sadly it's over one year I first started implemening it
18:16<superm1>sphery, sadly though it appears sources.gentoo.org isn't working atm
18:16<stuarta>yeah, i remember us designing the thing
18:17<sphery>Cool. I'll assume that gentoo and ATrpms do similar (i.e assume that there won't be that many Unknown revs out there)
18:17<superm1>if they don't they really *should* start :)
18:17<sphery>agreed (Unknown revisions are a pain)
18:17<superm1>probably won't hurt to add a disclaimer to a README or similar for packagers
18:18-!-cal_ is now known as whodat
18:18<gbee>sphery: not sure about ATrpms, but I know that Cardoe said that he was doing something to get the revision number in there
18:20<janneg>ugh, it's almost two years: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1728
18:20<gbee>superm1: yeah, I think I promised to create a PACKING type readme
18:20<sphery>maybe j-rod knows... (Does Axel do something to make sure there's a revision in packaged mythtv versions)
18:21<jams>superm1- thats done right after the configure?
18:21<gbee>what about knoppmyth/mythdora? I think mythbuntu uses the packages, but I'm not sure about those two
18:21<superm1>before configure jams
18:21<gbee>guess I could ask Cecil
18:23<sphery>I wonder if I can use quilt to get a diff that changes code around a section that's changed by another uncommitted patch (i.e. so a dev can apply the the new patch after the "old" patch is committed).
18:23<jams>superm1- thanks, that sed line doesn't appear to match anything but i will keep looking at it.
18:24<sphery>Isn't mythdora just ATrpms?
18:24<gbee>sphery: dunno, that's why I asked
18:24<sphery>heh... It's not atrpms.com. Big difference.
18:24<gbee>probably is, but as far as I know it could be a custom package
18:25-!-whodat [i=cal@yossman.net] has quit [Excess Flood]
18:26-!-whodat [i=cal@yossman.net] has joined #mythtv
18:26<jams>gbee- i think it might be a custom package, j-rod was making some code changes for mythdora.
18:27<jams>superm1- got it. That link has a few two many $ for me
18:27<jams>link=line
18:27<sphery>seems the MythDora homepage (I'm seeing g-ding.tv) is down...
18:28<superm1>jams, for us in debian/rules, thats the exact amount that we need at least
18:28<gbee>would be nice to get all the packages and mythtv distros doing the same thing for 0.21, so if any sees j-rod active let him know
18:29<janneg>stuarta: I grabbed #4051
18:29<superm1>yeah i agree
18:29<superm1>gbee, well if there is anything else you guys would like to see, standard compilation options etc
18:29<jams>right now knoppmyth uses checkinstall for packages, so perhaps the version info is retained.
18:30<gbee>superm1: you might want to add --enable-ffmpeg-pthreads :) Unless janneg changes the defaults before 0.21 ;)
18:30<stuarta>janneg: sure no probs
18:30<superm1>gbee, sure, easily enough
18:30<stuarta>i've not much time to work on tickets atm
18:32<gbee>ok, looks like knoppmyth is covered
18:32<whodat>covered for what?
18:32<gbee>correctly reports the revision number
18:33*janneg giggles over David's commit msg [15829]
18:34<stuarta>heh, worth a chuckle
18:34<sphery>I liked it, too
18:34<gbee>:D
18:37<stuarta>2^31 :)
18:38<jams>yeah that worked, the revision number works. thanks superm1 http://jmeyer.us/screens/main-popup5.png
18:39<superm1>haha nice.
18:42<justinh>those are immeasurably better than those fugly qt popups :)
18:43<justinh>even without custom button graphics
18:44<justinh>time to take some of these new blue images for a test drive
18:45-!-MrGandalf [i=mgandalf@cpe-72-225-32-214.rochester.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
18:59<gbee>justinh: well if you are offering to draw some button graphics ;)
19:00<gbee>or any graphics to replace what is currently there ... I put zero effort into making that default popup look pretty (means metallurgy looks even better in comparison :p )
19:03<sphery>This is the most time-consuming 3-line patch I've ever made... (Making the patch right includes learning to use quilt.)
19:06<stuarta>heh, quilt is great :)
19:06<gbee>should have made learning quilt my new years resolution, I've been promising myself I would take a look for nearly two years
19:07<gbee>haven't even got it installed yet
19:07<justinh>yeah I'm secretly working to make the core themes suck even more to make all the 3rd party ones own them even more ;)
19:07<gbee>no, I lied, seems I did install it at least
19:07<sphery>I've been promising I'd take a look for almost 4 years, now, so you'll get to it in 2 more, gbee .
19:08<justinh>quilt has got to be the most apt name for a program I've ever heard of
19:08<sphery>Makes finding info on it hard, though. Who knew that people making blankets are so up on technology.
19:08<justinh>gbee: those button graphics are on the list. problem is finding ones which sit with every theme. that said it'd not be that much e-fart to make em for all themes
19:09<sphery>gbee: Here's the doc I'm using. Seems nice: http://www.suse.de/~agruen/quilt.pdf
19:09<justinh>I hope people are gonna like this blue makeover
19:10<gbee>sphery: thanks, have wget'd it and will take a look tomorrow
19:11<gbee>my attempt to turn wget into a verb was unsuccessful
19:14<gbee>justinh: how many people use blue and would even notice?
19:14<justinh>gbee: dunno how many people use blue
19:14<justinh>seen as I'm revamping core images I might as well do em all
19:14<gbee>which doesn't mean that your efforts are unappreciated, maybe once you've finished it will be more popular
19:15<justinh>other than the menus it was the jaggies that always put me off
19:15<sphery>have wgotten? past participle? (Though gotten may be too en_US for you.)
19:15<justinh>http://www.mythtvthemes.co.uk/images/nooblue3.png
19:15<gbee>I don't entirely dislike blue, it just felt a bit abandoned and unloved
19:16<gbee>that was back when I started using mythtv around 0.17
19:16<sphery>But once justinh gives it some TLC, how many /more/ will start to use it?
19:16<justinh>resisting the temptation to make anything shiny
19:16<justinh>going retro :)
19:17<justinh>minus the pixelation :P
19:17<gbee>actually, in most cases it's the lack of care with alignments than spoils the themes - look at the "Not Recording" and the distance from the left edge compared to the right
19:17*MrGandalf thinks a theme based on lcars would be slick..
19:18<stuarta>that's been done already IIRC
19:18<gbee>the subtitle running into the description etc
19:18<justinh>Dagmar hasn't finished it yet
19:19<MrGandalf>so it has :) sorta
19:19-!-xris [n=xris@xris.forevermore.net] has quit []
19:19<gbee>if I were Dagmar I'd wait for mythui before continuing, the results would probably be more impressive
19:19<justinh>MrGandalf: and when you code up the UI sounds, we can hire Majel Barret :P
19:20<MrGandalf>justinh: that would be slick :)
19:20*gbee goes to bed
19:20<MrGandalf>g'night
19:20<justinh>gnight gbee
19:21<justinh>actually ST:TNG sounds would lend themselves quite nicely - other than the fact they're not public domain
19:22<justinh>oh gawd. then there's another area I can knock myself out in. sound design (barf)
19:22<MrGandalf>I'm sure sounds could be made to be close enough
19:23-!-m00db00m [n=moodboom@cpe-075-177-134-090.nc.res.rr.com] has joined #mythtv
19:24<MrGandalf>then all I'd need is one of those fancy HTPC cases with the built-in LCD touch screen and to make a Myth interface for it using the lcars theme.
19:26<justinh>mod a bluetooth earpiece into a communicator!
19:28<MrGandalf>add voice activation to Myth
19:28-!-jmk_ [n=jmk@64.73.34.172] has quit ["Leaving"]
19:29<MrGandalf>actually, that may not be very hard to do
19:34-!-xris [n=xris@xris.forevermore.net] has joined #mythtv
19:35-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-44-214.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has left #mythtv []
19:37-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-85632c41180b2c70] has joined #mythtv
19:45<sphery>xris: BTW, did you see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/312953#312953 ? The load_file_info() in the Perl bindings seems to be failing on DVB radio recordings. I had him attach mplayer's -identify output and will eventually look into fixing the regex, but it won't be until after 0.21 (in case you want to fix it before release instead of in -fixes).
19:46<xris>sphery: that's why I've been begging to get that info into the db.
19:46<xris>fails on some non-english mplayers, and on different versions of mplayer, etc.
19:48<sphery>Yeah. I want it in just because running 5 mythrename.pl --link commands per half hour on 400 recordings won't work with the mplayer -identify on each. :) (I've disabled it on my local copy and just set a default extension of .mpg)
19:49<sphery>As I get farther along on my DB backup work, the recordefile (plus some other nice related stuff) gets higher on my priority list. :)
19:49<xris>wow, didn't know that it still did that. thought it pulled the type off of the existing extension
19:50<sphery>No. The filetype_hack patch in the thread is what I used to disable it.
19:50<xris>but yeah.. it shouldn't be hard to pull that info at the same time that the seek table is being built.
19:51<xris>type, resolution, aspect ratio, etc.
19:51<sphery>Yep. The most challenging part is figuring which part is the part with the "main" resolution, aspect ratio, etc.
19:52<xris>I figure it's safe enough to assume that wherever the pixmap came from is good enough
19:54-!-czth__ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-86f95fe6898cefbe] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
19:55<sphery>Definitely not bad for a first implementation (especially since the pixmap is no longer allowed to be pulled from within a commercial break, as identified by mythcommflag).
19:55<sphery>that would make it "right" for most recordings for a large percentage of users.
19:56<janneg>xris: shouldn't the non-english be fixable by LC_ALL="POSIX" LANG="" mplayer ...
19:59<sphery>xris: Looks like load_file_info() gets the filetype from the extension, but then calls _mpeg_info(). Might be worth splitting out the filetype part (which is all mythrename needs) from the MPEG info part.
19:59-!-RMC is now known as RMC_away
20:00-!-RMC_away [n=cattelan@ip65-44-182-162.z182-44-65.customer.algx.net] has quit ["Terminated with extreme prejudice - dircproxy 1.0.5"]
20:03<justinh>http://www.mythtvthemes.co.uk/images/newgant.png - a different select bar..
20:05<sphery>justinh: I love that.
20:06<justinh>fits with the general style better than the current one I think
20:08<justinh>I reckon it's only ever been tiddly little things 'wrong' with core themes. they take almost as long to put right as making fresh themes sometimes though
20:10<sphery>Yeah. Lots of piecemeal workarounds have gone in them over the years.
20:10<sphery>(I know I submitted several--and still feel guilty about some of them. :)
20:12<sphery>It was easier to justify a workaround rather than a fix on some of the default themes as they had far more (and far larger) issues than yours/jams/gbee's/... do.
20:14<xris>janneg: that might help. I'm not all that great with multilingual linux stuff.
20:14<justinh>any theme that comes around after a code change has the benefit of hindsight ;)
20:14<xris>sphery: or I could keep bugging someone to add the other stuff to the db.. perl programmer == lazy. :)
20:15-!-Anduin [n=awithers@adsl-69-110-44-214.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net] has joined #mythtv
20:16<sphery>That works, too. It will be there eventually (as I really want it for some of my own stuff).
20:17<justinh>hmmm pity GANT's arrows can't be changed to real gant arrows. they don't rescale to small sizes well
20:18<justinh>heh that reminds me of my favourite winamp skin ever - the one that looked like a pencil sketch
20:18<sphery>what about big translucent ones (don't know if that's even possible)
20:19<justinh>sphery: talking about for recording options etc
20:19<sphery>Oh. Thought you meant on the Watch Recordings screen.
20:20<justinh>I'll give em a go anyway
20:22-!-cattelan [n=cattelan@ip65-44-182-162.z182-44-65.customer.algx.net] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
20:24<sphery>gbee: That doc is actually part of the quilt distribution ( /usr/{,local/}share/doc/quilt*/quilt.pdf ). It's very packager-/end-user-centric (as opposed to dev centric). Trying to figure out how best to deal with multiple series files, still.
20:25<justinh>http://www.mythtvthemes.co.uk/images/newgant2.png - seems ok to me :)
20:27<justinh>and this reminds me of something actually. if there's to be a blackhole in the program finder for what looks like it should be an icon, why not have the ability to put an icon in there anyway?
20:28<justinh>be easy enough to add. been on my list for an age. probably one for the weekend
20:31-!-PacketScan is now known as packetscan
20:31-!-czth__ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-b45aa1c8f43aee94] has joined #mythtv
20:32-!-reynaldo [n=rverdejo@190-82-43-97.adsl.cust.tie.cl] has joined #mythtv
20:33<sphery>I like those--especially with the new select bar. (Think they wouldn't have worked with the old one.)
20:38<justinh>http://www.mythtvthemes.co.uk/images/newgant3.png - and with up & down arrows
20:39<justinh>they could maybe be a smidge bigger
20:41<justinh>and refresh - now they are bigger
20:41<justinh>makes a subtle but marked difference methinks
20:44<sphery>I like it.
20:47<justinh>ah bugger I said I was gonna add watermarks for the new appearance gadget
20:48-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-85632c41180b2c70] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
20:54<sphery>justinh: Though it would only fit with some themes, I think the perfect watermark for the appearance gadget is two hands with thumb and forefinger framing a shot (like a director would do). TV theme and fits the "move the arrows" in appearance.
20:54<justinh>yeah I thought that too
20:54<justinh>might be tricky though
20:56<justinh>oh wait.. already have a vector of a hand...
21:01-!-fuhgawz [n=beexwax@185.152.229.201.f.sta.codetel.net.do] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:20<MrGandalf>does the new mythui support svg?
21:22<kormoc>Don't think so (least not yet)
21:23<MrGandalf>would make for smaller theme footprints I would think
21:23-!-akent [n=akent@ppp121-44-56-125.lns10.syd7.internode.on.net] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:24<sphery>I think I heard that QT3 doesn't support SVG, so we won't get it 'til QT4, but it may be too slow, so we might have to render to pixmaps, meaning the same memory footprint (though potentially smaller distribution footprint).
21:25<justinh>MrGandalf: wouldn't make for smaller theme footprints if they're still rendered in to memory :P
21:25<justinh>nor would it if said SVGs contained bitmaps anyway
21:26<justinh>aaand there's a limit to what you can do in realtime with svg. alpha blending & gaussian blurs take up time
21:27<MrGandalf>we'll all just get really fast computers
21:27<justinh>anyway with the price of ram being so cheap I don't think ram is an issue
21:27<justinh>there's still a shortage of decent themes, and once mythui is unleashed properly even more so
21:28<justinh>though tbh I'd pay to see less ports of mediaportal skins. there are already two :(
21:29<justinh>anyway.. night night all.. Zzzzz
21:29<MrGandalf>g'night
21:39-!-jamesd [n=jamesd@adsl-68-249-5-203.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net] has joined #mythtv
21:40<Captain_Murdoch>sphery, GetFilesystemInfos() needs an encoder list so it and BackendQueryDiskSpace would have to be reworked some to move parts of them to libmyth
21:50<sphery>Captain_Murdoch: Yeah. I was looking at moving the part that gets the fsinfo once given a dir, but it's no longer important. The StorageGroup::FindNextDirMostFree() works for all my needs (Thumbnails and DB Backups)
21:51<sphery>I don't really need the fsinfo as I won't need to worry about details for choosing a dir.
21:52-!-loops [n=sean@bas7-london14-1242448461.dsl.bell.ca] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
21:53-!-loops [n=sean@bas7-london14-1242448461.dsl.bell.ca] has joined #mythtv
22:00<Captain_Murdoch>ok. I'm going to take a look at the db backup patch now.
22:01<sphery>OK. I have a follow-on (3-liner). It enables DB backup on master backend only on every startup. Since it happens before the master begins accepting connections from clients, it can't interfere with recordings/transcoding/flagging/playback.
22:02*Captain_Murdoch wonders what this guy was thinking when he decided to hook the jobqueue in with MSqlQuery
22:03<sphery>Backup takes less than a minute on my system (the start and end time that go in the DB are the same), so I think it would be good to have a backup on master backend every startup. (Can't really do shutdown as we don't handle that and if we did, we might not have time to backup when killed at shutdown.)
22:03<Captain_Murdoch>sphery: it could mess up a slave recording if the master is restarted while a slave recording is in progress.
22:03<sphery>I wondered the same, but I figured it must be so far over my head that only you would understand. Guess that's not the case.
22:04<Captain_Murdoch>I dont' want to wait too long before I knock his idea down. :|
22:04<sphery>OK. I'll keep it in my local tree. Guess "real" backups will have to wait 'til I finish the JobConstraints stuff.
22:05<sphery>Unfortunately 3 weeks of travel starting Monday means it won't likely be before 0.21.
22:06<sphery>Was hoping the master-backend startup patch would be a good way to get a reasonable frequency of backups even without JobConstraints
22:09<Captain_Murdoch>you could just add a setting to allow the user to give a time to run a DB backup. Have it turned off by default. It's no worse than people running cron jobs doing backups if you give the user a choice as to what time to run it.
22:10<sphery>OK. That will be the pre-0.21 version. Maybe if that's there, JobConstraints will be a loose definition of a fix or maybe 0.22 will come more quickly than 0.21 did. :)
22:11<sphery>Assuming #4613 is usable enough that it can be accepted before 0.21.
22:11<Captain_Murdoch>did you consider compressing the backup file also?
22:12<Captain_Murdoch>backups aren't large, but mine is 249 MB uncompressed.
22:12<Captain_Murdoch>a few of those = 1 hour of video storage.
22:12<sphery>I figured I'd let an external script do that. Since it would take a large amount of CPU resources and a lot of time (compared to the backup, itself), I thought it might be better to leave it uncompressed.
22:13<sphery>We're also relying on the external script for rotation/archiving, so...
22:13<sphery>I can add compression if you like, though. (Currently timing a bzip...)
22:14<Captain_Murdoch>may be quicker on modern cpus since it won't have to write as much out to disk.
22:14<Captain_Murdoch>my backups compressed are only 22 MB
22:19<Captain_Murdoch>might go for speed and use gzip instead.
22:21<Captain_Murdoch>do you get the DB upgrade prompt when you run mythbackend? I don't recall ever getting that when running from the command line.
22:22<sphery>TTBOMK, you will if you run mythbackend in an interactive shell.
22:22<sphery>Since virtually no one does, the log message may not be the most appropriate (kind of a, well, I would have if you let me.)
22:23<sphery>Most people start it through init scripts and or over an SSH session, so it won't display the upgrade prompt.
22:24<sphery>Wow. Only 40s to compress my 37MB (dev system) backup to 4MB on an XP 1700+. My XP 2400+ (production master) takes 3min (CPU) and 4min 20sec (real) to compress my 181MB backup to 26MB (with one recording in progress).
22:24<sphery>(Wonder how much it messed up the recording in progress... :)
22:24<Captain_Murdoch>those times are including the DB backup itself?
22:25<sphery>No that's just compressing an existing backup.
22:25<sphery>If we do compress it, I think I'd want the compression to happen after the fact in its own thread so it doesnt, i.e. delay startup. Could also be niced, too.
22:25<sphery>Perhaps a housekeeping job... ;)
22:26<Captain_Murdoch>gzip will be much faster. my P4 2.6Ghz only took 12.5s to compress my 249MB backup file down to 22MB.
22:26<jams>i get that prompt when running mythbackend from my init scripts.
22:26<jams>well I did get the prompt, I now apply a patch to remove that annoying thing.
22:26<Captain_Murdoch>bzip2 is still running.. that took 7m 22s. :( I might want to retest those I guess. :|
22:26<Captain_Murdoch>.bz2 was only 14.5MB though.
22:27<Captain_Murdoch>another gzip in same exact 12.5s time.
22:27<sphery>gzip takes 12.5 seconds?
22:27<Captain_Murdoch>yeah
22:27<sphery>that seems grossly different...
22:27<Captain_Murdoch>bzip2 is slow as molasis, that's one of the tradeoffs of using it.
22:27<Captain_Murdoch>running again.
22:28<Captain_Murdoch>bzip2 again
22:29<Captain_Murdoch>probably not good that dbutil links back to libmythtv, things should only go the other way around I think, so if this goes in, the SG move should go in also.
22:30<sphery>That's what I was thinking (especially with Nigel pulling his hair out over existing circular dependencies), so that's why I did the patch to move SG.
22:30<sphery>I could use my just-learned quilt knowledge to genererate a patch that could be applied after the SG move...
22:31<Captain_Murdoch>SG move is easy, I'll look at that first.
22:32<kormoc>Captain_Murdoch, sphery, core 2 duo 1.6ghz, 9 0mb, gzip compress 7.3s 23M, decompress 1.4s bzip2 29.6s 17M, decompress 7.3s
22:32<kormoc>*90 mb source file
22:33<Captain_Murdoch>so bzip2 is 4x slower.
22:33<sphery>Captain_Murdoch: BTW, I chose to use VB_FILE as a means of outputting the exact command being executed for the DB backup. It was the closest fit, but might be a bit of a stretch but I didn't think it warranted a new VB_*
22:33<kormoc>Captain_Murdoch, and around 33% better
22:34<sphery>Well, I got 31s to take my 181MB backup to 31MB with gzip. I'd be willing to do that inline.
22:34<Captain_Murdoch>yeah, same here. not worth the time for the disk savings. worth it to compress if we have multiple DB backups around.
22:34<Captain_Murdoch>bzip2 == not worth the time for disk savings.
22:35<GreyFoxx>Hmmm anyone ever notice that you can't clear a DVD bookmark ?
22:35<sphery>Is it a DVD-/ROM/? ;)
22:36<sphery>My 31s backup was really only 12 CPU seconds...
22:36<sphery>I can mod the commmand...
22:36<GreyFoxx>We had my Family guy disks in tonight and I hit enter accidentaly and got the normal "Position Saved" .... I hit it again and it just said Position saved again
22:36<Captain_Murdoch>bzip2 finished again on my system, 7m21s again. so bzip2 is much slower than 4x on this P4.
22:36<GreyFoxx>tried several times :)
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> if (ringBuffer->isDVD())
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> {
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> if (ringBuffer->InDVDMenuOrStillFrame())
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> SetDVDBookmark(0);
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> else
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> SetDVDBookmark(framesPlayed);
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> }
22:37<Captain_Murdoch>so it sets it to 0
22:37<sphery>Captain_Murdoch: For the P4, that makes sense (there's no multimedia in it...)
22:37<Captain_Murdoch>nevermind
22:37<Captain_Murdoch>wrong place.
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> if (ringBuffer->isDVD())
22:37<Captain_Murdoch> SetDVDBookmark(0);
22:38<Captain_Murdoch>that's where it sets it to 0
22:38<Captain_Murdoch>sbut should say cleared
22:38<GreyFoxx>Hmm, then it's just not sending the write info to the OSD then
22:38<Captain_Murdoch>:q
22:38<GreyFoxx>I should commit that query location change
22:38<Captain_Murdoch>oops
22:38<GreyFoxx>Playback Video 00:26:15 1x /data/video/Movies/Hercules.avi 39385 25
22:38<GreyFoxx>added frameRate to the end
22:39-!-cattelan [n=cattelan@c-24-118-123-1.hsd1.mn.comcast.net] has joined #mythtv
22:39<sphery>Captain_Murdoch: I'll make a new patch that works post #4588 (SG move) and that adds a | gzip to the command line (no gzip options, right?)
22:41<sphery>wonder if I can check for the existence of mysqldump and gzip with a better approach than running a myth_system() to execute a --help on them...
22:41<sphery>that way, if they have gzip in the PATH, we compress (so we don't fail backup because of no compression) otherwise we don't.
22:41<Captain_Murdoch>I don't think you need options, but we should check where they are at to make sure they're valid.
22:41<Captain_Murdoch>yeah.
22:42-!-jamesd [n=jamesd@adsl-68-249-5-203.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
22:42<Captain_Murdoch>also in case someone has a gzip or mysqldump script laying around in their path before the real ones.
22:42<sphery>how should I handle that?
22:43<Captain_Murdoch>is there any reason that in the SG patch you put #include "storagegroup.h" instead of #include "libmyth/storagegroup.h" like other libmyth includes are?
22:44<sphery>You mean in storagegroup.cpp?
22:45<Captain_Murdoch>no, programs/*/*.cpp
22:45*Captain_Murdoch is still thinking about your previous question. :
22:45<Captain_Murdoch>:)
22:45<sphery>If so, probably just because I didn't really change storagegroup.{h,cpp}. Though, IIRC, all of the libmyth code leaves out "libmyth/" for the includes of other libmyth stuff.
22:45-!-jamesd [n=jamesd@adsl-68-249-5-203.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net] has joined #mythtv
22:46<Captain_Murdoch>libmyth stuff does because it's the same dir, but main.cpp, scheduler.cpp, etc. use libmyth/blah.h
22:46<Captain_Murdoch>no biggie, I was just curious if there was a specific reason. I'm going to make them look like the other includes for consistency
22:47<sphery>Oh. I had seen the comment in the .pro that said you can use either, and since most of the code I saw left out the "libmyth/", I did, too.
22:47<sphery>That's a good plan. Sorry for the extra work.
22:48<Captain_Murdoch>no work, just looking it over before applying. I usually compare the original user diff vs my dev tree diff vs my pristine svn tree diff to make sure I didn't slip in any debugging cerr, VERBOSE, etc. lines or other patches I'm working on.
22:51<GreyFoxx>Hmmm, looks like when we get/set a DVD bookmark we also add one to the standard bookmark table.... so for example I have entries in dvdbookmark for this specific disk and entries for /dev/hdc in filemarkup :) I assume that's not on purpose :)
22:52<Captain_Murdoch>yeah, that bug is in NVP it looks like
22:53<GreyFoxx>yeah just looking over Set/Clear bookmark now
22:53<Captain_Murdoch>missing else after the "if (ringBuffer->isDVD())"
22:53<GreyFoxx>yup
22:53<Captain_Murdoch>there is a GetDVDBookmark in NVP::GetBookmark, so it doesn't need the other one.
22:56<Captain_Murdoch>sphery: re how to find the right files, I can't think of much off the top of my head right now. if it's someone doing something malicious they could get around most anything, so a simple check of the --help text or --version could be good enough. if you don't get the right response, print a message and don't try backing up.
23:02<GreyFoxx>Ok, we never actually call Clearbookmark for DVD's, just Setbookmark, so we never actually 0 the bookmark, we just keep updating it
23:02<GreyFoxx>well that explains what I was seeing anyway :)
23:03-!-Newbuntu2 [n=chatzill@ppp-70-243-33-238.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net] has joined #mythtv
23:04-!-Newbuntu2 [n=chatzill@ppp-70-243-33-238.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net] has left #mythtv []
23:04<sphery>Captain_Murdoch: "right response" meaning more than a check of the exit status code?
23:06<sphery>BTW, an inline mysqldump | gzip took the same 30s (real) of just compressing, but a 5-second longer 17.5s (CPU), so I think it's good.
23:06<Captain_Murdoch>might be good enough I would think if it's discernable (ie, not 0). a shell script could ignore your args and return 0 by default
23:07<sphery>it's 0... :)
23:08<sphery>I'm thinking the --help output or the --version stuff would both be hard to identify--especially with version differences.
23:08<Captain_Murdoch>could just check standard locations. how do we check for wget in datadirect.cpp?
23:08<sphery>I think we just use it... :)
23:09<Captain_Murdoch>if not in /bin or /usr/bin then don't use??? could add another dir to check if some weird distro uses another for mysqldump
23:09<kormoc>I feel that if someone wrote a script called the exact same name as a binary, they mean to overrule it, else it should be binary.sh or the like
23:09<kormoc>that said, I often wonder about the sanity of a lot of people these days...
23:10<sphery>yeah, we're not checking validity of wget or gzip in datadirect
23:10<sphery>we don't even check for existence...
23:10<sphery>perhaps this should become a new patch that adds some util methods...
23:10<Captain_Murdoch>I'm thinking more malicious, like a fake gzip in ~/bin/
23:11<sphery>I was just trying to avoid failing a backup because gzip isn't in the PATH. :)
23:11<Captain_Murdoch>yeah
23:11<sphery>yeah to the separate patch?
23:12<Captain_Murdoch>if (QFile::exists("/bin/gzip")) then gzipcmd = "/bin/zip" else if (QFile::exists("/usr/bin/gzip")) then gzipcmd = "/usr/bin/gzip" else VERBOSE(ERRORMSG)
23:12<Captain_Murdoch>(without any typos or syntax errors of course). :)
23:13<sphery>That works. If we really need to check in other places, I'll move the stuff to a reusable location.
23:13<Captain_Murdoch>"yeah" to failing if stuff isn't in the path. like we've tried to do with preview gen calling mythbackend, jobqueue calling mythtranscode, mythcommflag, etc.
23:14<Captain_Murdoch>commiting the SG move.
23:14<sphery>Cool. I have a patch for backups post move. It will have the gzip check in it soon.
23:17<sphery>Now I'm glad I made extension an optional argument to CreateBackupFilename. :)
23:19*Captain_Murdoch doesn't like the way that svn "kept" the history when he did a "svn move". it shows the move, but doesn't show all revisions in the new revision log.
23:19<sphery>Yeah. On trac you have to toggle the stop on move or whatever...
23:20<sphery>probably possible with the command-line client, too.
23:20<Captain_Murdoch>thanks, didn't notice that radio button. :)
23:23<Captain_Murdoch>reynaldo: that guy with the GUIDE issue. I wasn't sure if he meant both items were fixed or just the one that Brad linked to.
23:23<Captain_Murdoch>stupid tab completion....
23:23<Captain_Murdoch>reynaldo == "RE:". was xchat written for windows. I know I put a : after the RE and it still replaced that with "reynaldo:"
23:24*Captain_Murdoch tests again since has already woken reynaldo up.
23:24<Captain_Murdoch>reynaldo: this is a test
23:24<Captain_Murdoch>yep, did it again.
23:24<Captain_Murdoch>wasn't even tab completion, just xchat trying to be smarter than me.
23:26<reynaldo>Captain_Murdoch: :*
23:26<Captain_Murdoch>some moron the -users list asking for someone to mail him a DVD copy of the superbowl in HD.
23:26-!-AnotherNick [n=Miranda@c-98-200-232-2.hsd1.tx.comcast.net] has joined #mythtv
23:26<Captain_Murdoch>reynaldo: you can go back to sleep :) sorry for the disturbance.
23:26<reynaldo>na, I'm trying to make this plugins build out tree
23:26<reynaldo>didnt care about it before
23:26<reynaldo>:)
23:27<sphery>Not bad... Only compile issue was a missing #include <qfile.h>. I usually don't get it that close on first try.
23:27<reynaldo>besides, I like this chan kind of noise :-)
23:27<sphery>d'oh. Will take a while to test. Have to make distclean
23:28<AnotherNick>Is there an issue with mythtv 0.20.2 that claims tuners are "unavailable" when they are actually free?
23:28<sphery>thank Samba for ccache...
23:29<Captain_Murdoch>yeah.
23:29<sphery>AnotherNick: Might be that it's not free (i.e. got stuck in LiveTV). Most likely need to restart mythbackend.
23:29-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
23:29<AnotherNick>sphery, this is the first run after a reboot.
23:30<AnotherNick>sphery, I can kill mythbackend and view the tuner with mplayer /dev/video0, without any problems. Also, lsof /dev/video0 doesn't show anything using the device
23:30<sphery>AnotherNick: Trunk/soon 0.21 are better at detecting client dropouts during LiveTV.., Anyway, come to -users for more.
23:31-!-gnome42 [n=gnome42@76-10-151-103.dsl.teksavvy.com] has joined #mythtv
23:40<sphery>I feel dirty testing this patch... mv /bin/gzip /bin/gzip.orig
23:40*kormoc blinks
23:41-!-AnotherNick [n=Miranda@c-98-200-232-2.hsd1.tx.comcast.net] has quit ["Leaving"]
23:55<sphery>Wonder how many will get linking issues because they didn't do a make distclean after #4588...
23:56<Captain_Murdoch>should have mentioned that in my commit log.
23:56<Captain_Murdoch>then again, I didn't do a distclean.
23:56<Captain_Murdoch>I did a configure since the .pro files were modified, but then I just did a make using distcc and ccache.
23:56<sphery>I just sent a message to the -dev list. Interesting that you didn't have to. I always did.
23:57<sphery>I tried qmake, but didn't do a configure. Might be the difference.
23:57<Captain_Murdoch>from the root dir, it would relink all the programs because of the vers.cpp or whatever file, so that may be why it worked.
23:58<Captain_Murdoch>they had to be recompiled anyway because of the header change, so any programs using storagegroups.h were recompiled and relinked.
---Logclosed Fri Feb 08 00:00:40 2008