Back to Home / #mythtv / 2007 / 03 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2007-03-13

---Logopened Tue Mar 13 00:00:13 2007
00:03|-|JohnnyST [] has joined #mythtv
00:11|-|Netsplit <-> quits: o_cee, hads, madfactor, jd86, derblubber, olds
00:11|-|Netsplit over, joins: o_cee, madfactor, jd86, derblubber, olds, hads
00:13|-|hads_ [] has joined #mythtv
00:14|-|okolsi [n=mythtv@] has left #mythtv []
00:14|-|hads [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
00:19|-|gnome42 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
00:28|-|malban [] has joined #mythtv
01:11|-|czth_ [i=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-afd1d5ba7a2f62b2] has joined #mythtv
01:12|-|daMaestro [n=jon@fedora/damaestro] has quit ["Leaving"]
01:14|-|CDev_ [] has quit ["Trillian ("]
01:23|-|CDev [] has joined #mythtv
01:28|-|czth__ [i=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-2ca58d3fe5d22417] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
01:33|-|Fullmetal-Mavez [] has joined #mythtv
01:33<Fullmetal-Mavez>cool lots of peeps
01:33|-|clever [] has joined #mythtv
01:33<Fullmetal-Mavez>with an annoying private message onjoin bot
01:34<clever>yeah that thing is anoying:P
01:34<Fullmetal-Mavez>the topic essentially says the same thing
01:37<clever>im working on seeing how hard it is for mythvideo to autothumbnail the files
01:37<Fullmetal-Mavez>i just discovered mythtv
01:37<Fullmetal-Mavez>when i had this awesome idea of building this dedicated box for media and connecting it to my soon to be bought 27" lcd TV
01:38<clever>my script is making a md5sum of the first 1mb of every video file i have
01:38<clever>and im getting some odd hash colisions
01:39<clever>first one appears to be a parial bittorrent file which is a true duplicate of the other file
01:40<clever>not shure why its called 2vaqp80d.avi though:P
01:45|-|jakeisawake [] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
02:03|-|malban [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
02:17|-|okolsi [n=fiottkol@unaffiliated/okolsi] has joined #mythtv
02:26<xris>clever: md5 is just a hash
02:27<clever>yeah i know
02:27<clever>but if im just hashing the first 1mb it can find files which are semi identical
02:28<xris>like I said, it's just a hash
02:28<xris>collisions are bound to happen
02:28<xris>if you want to check for similarities, you need to do something like what visit0r does with the new mythvideo script and compare filesize,e tc.
02:28<clever>but this time the first 52mb was identical
02:29<clever>what new mythvideo script?
02:30<xris>is it identical, or just producing the same hash?
02:30<clever>the 2vqqp80d.avi i think is a copy of the first 52mb of the other file
02:30<xris>hashes like md5 are used to determine of two "should be the same" files are different, not that two "should be different" files really are
02:30<clever>i found it in a Temp folder
02:31<clever>i was using it to just get a random mostly uniq id for a file
02:31<xris>clever: as for the new video script, you'd have to ask visit0r or Anduin. I don't think they've hooked it up yet.
02:31<clever>which can be used to cache a part that takes cpu power to fetch
02:31<clever>what exactly does it do though dont realy need a copy
02:33<xris>it's the new mythvideo scanner
02:33<clever>ahh just finds files and inserts to the file index?
02:33<xris>uses some magic like checksums to detect files that have moved, so it doesn't treat them as a delete/add
02:34<clever>ahh nice that would be usefull:)
02:34<clever>i could use the same checksum in my script
02:34<clever>would cut half the work out
02:34<kormoc>as well as it has a specific metadata format, which is why I mentioned it in #mythtv-users...
02:34<clever>no need to gen and fetch the uniq id from each file
02:35<clever>i was working on the making of a uniq id for each file so i could cache the output form my 2nd script which makes thumbnaiks
02:35|-|stuarta [n=stuart@unaffiliated/stuarta] has joined #mythtv
02:35<clever>i'll look at making the thumbnailing script now since i dont seem to need the uniq id maker
02:36<clever>you could just feed my script a source and dest and it make a thumb from the video
02:36<clever>and mythvideo can use the internal checksum from that other script as part of the outputs filename
02:36<stuarta>you know you can get the backend to create thumnails for you?
02:37<clever>can it do that for mythvideo?
02:37<kormoc>or it can use the defined meta data schema so it matches for everything...
02:37<clever>and would the backend need access to those files that may only be on the frontend?
02:37|-|knowledgejunkie [n=knowledg@unaffiliated/knowledgejunkie] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
02:38|-|knowledgejunkie [n=knowledg@unaffiliated/knowledgejunkie] has joined #mythtv
02:38<clever>my idea was to have a external scritp for each filetype and set which script for each type in the same area as what player for each type
02:38<xris>clever: why?
02:39<clever>would probly only need 1 script using mplayer to cver 90% of the file types
02:39<clever>to automaticaly gernerate thumbnails for all supported files in mythvideo
02:40<kormoc>what bout the fact that filetypes (.avi .mpg) are just container formats and can hold any number of codecs that may or may not be supported by your grabber?
02:40<clever>you would need to pick a grabber that covers a 90% of the codecs a avi can contain
02:40<clever>also /me points your problem at the player picker in mythvideo
02:40<clever>it picks a video player based on container not codec
02:41<kormoc>actually, I just have it use the Internal player, which plays them all
02:41[~]kormoc shrugs
02:41<xris>internal and mplayer are both based on ffmpeg's libs.. can play pretty much anytnhing
02:41<xris>except some mp4 files in my case
02:41<clever>ive set it to use mplayer for most as i have a complex input.conf letting me control ALOT of mplayer's features from a usb gamepad
02:42<clever>to get the same effect in mythtv id need to bind the keys to unused keyboard keys which i then bind to player controls
02:42<clever>ive looked at the joystickrc file
02:42<clever>its a bit more crude then mplayers way of doing it
02:43<clever>with mythtv each joystick action is linked to a keyboard key
02:43<clever>mplayer links each action directly to a function
02:44<clever>a better mix would be for the joystick keys to showup seperately in mythtv's binding settings
02:46[~]clever has a look to see how it would be codded
02:46<knowledgejunkie>xris: are there any current plans to implement the grouping by callsign functionality for mythweb searches for 0.21?
02:48<xris>knowledgejunkie: yup
02:48<knowledgejunkie>xris: awesome
02:48<xris>assuming that mythtv devs don't decide to switch to something better first
02:51<xris>personally, after mucking with the channel icon stuff for so long, I think we could do with a better way to pick similar channels. Not that I could tell you what that would BE, though
02:53<knowledgejunkie>xris: well, I can only suggest using xmltvids :)
02:54<knowledgejunkie>xris: talking of icons, I submitted another patch to ticket #3066 with more updates
02:54<xris>knowledgejunkie: doesn't help the people who don't use xmltv
02:55<xris>knowledgejunkie: all of that stuff will likely just get deleted from the repo
02:56<knowledgejunkie>xris: true, but then not everyone uses callsign natively either (you have to add them manually)
02:56<xris>knowledgejunkie: like I said. needs something better, but I don't know what it is.
02:57<xris>xmltvid would cover many things (since the field is used for a zap2it id in the US), but it's not a unique field (broken grabber in .nl) and not everyone uses it (EIT).
02:57<knowledgejunkie>xris: I'm writing a simple script to see which xmltvids are not available on the services server for us UK XMLTV users and will post the missing info back to the server
02:58|-|robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
02:58<knowledgejunkie>xris: When I caught you earlier I was wondering whether there was a direct way to submit the xmltv/icon pairs to the server DB
02:59<xris>you could decode the csv submission format, yes
02:59<knowledgejunkie>xris: As I maintain the uk_rt xmltv listings, I hope to be able to quickly add the new xmltvid/icon to the DB so it's already there for users
02:59<knowledgejunkie>xris: I've got the script open now and will have a look
02:59<xris>the format is pretty easy
03:00<xris>what it doesn't let you do is override an existing mapping
03:00<xris>that has to be done by someone with admin access
03:00<knowledgejunkie>xris: OK
03:02<xris>time for me to sleep. 'night
03:02|-|xris [] has quit ["Leaving."]
03:31|-|eskil [] has quit ["Leaving"]
03:36|-|kormoc [] has quit []
03:55|-|PointyPumper [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
03:58|-|knowledgejunkie [n=knowledg@unaffiliated/knowledgejunkie] has left #mythtv ["I want my, I want my, I want my MythTV"]
04:02|-|onixian [] has joined #mythtv
04:05|-|MegaByte [n=x1@] has quit ["Leaving"]
04:05|-|robthebob [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
05:34|-|MrGandalf [] has quit ["Leaving"]
05:54|-|PointyPumper [] has joined #mythtv
06:12|-|onixian [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
06:19|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
06:45|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has joined #mythtv
06:50|-|onixian [] has joined #mythtv
06:57|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit ["Leaving."]
07:00|-|Chai_Sangeen [n=aljishi@] has joined #mythtv
07:01<Chai_Sangeen>hello everyone
07:01<Chai_Sangeen>im haveing trouble setting up the lirc on ubuntu edgy i follow the how-to's it worked yesterday but not today.... can anyone help
07:02[~]stuarta points to the topic
07:02<Chai_Sangeen>irw gives me : connect: Connection refused
07:02[~]stuarta points to the topic again
07:02<Chai_Sangeen>it worked fine yesterday
07:02[~]stuarta points to the topic again
07:02<Chai_Sangeen>ops hehe sorry
07:03<Chai_Sangeen>stuarta, thanx :)
07:07|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has quit ["Leaving..."]
07:33|-|tstm_ changed nick to tstm
07:41|-|JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
08:00|-|Chai_Sangeen [n=aljishi@] has quit ["Leaving"]
08:17|-|ekay [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:28|-|GrizzlyAdams [] has joined #mythtv
08:39|-|GrizzlyAdams [] has left #mythtv []
08:41|-|Cardoe [n=cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
08:47|-|Merlin83b [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
08:53|-|okolsi [n=fiottkol@unaffiliated/okolsi] has left #mythtv []
08:58|-|Dibblah [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
09:16|-|Merlin83b [] has joined #mythtv
09:16|-|Dibblah [] has joined #mythtv
09:25|-|adante [] has joined #mythtv
09:26|-|jgarvey [] has joined #mythtv
09:35|-|onixian [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
09:36|-|onixian [] has joined #mythtv
09:55|-|praet [] has quit ["brb"]
10:03|-|Chai_Sangeen [n=aljishi@] has joined #mythtv
10:03|-|Chai_Sangeen [n=aljishi@] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
10:04|-|mikal [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
10:07|-|Chai_Sangeen [n=aljishi@] has joined #mythtv
10:32|-|adante [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
10:33|-|adante [] has joined #mythtv
10:35|-|adante [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
10:35|-|adante [] has joined #mythtv
10:44|-|sigger_ [] has quit ["There is a byte stuck in my modem!!"]
10:45|-|jd86 [n=jd88@pdpc/supporter/student/jd86] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
10:58|-|gnome42 [] has joined #mythtv
11:01|-|malban [] has joined #mythtv
11:11|-|j-rod [i=jarod@nat/redhat/x-8634c1a4e588f8fc] has quit ["Terminated with extreme prejudice - dircproxy 1.2.0"]
11:11|-|j-rod [i=jarod@nat/redhat/x-1f88c45bd7ba4fd0] has joined #mythtv
11:13|-|beavis [] has joined #mythtv
11:15|-|xris [] has joined #mythtv
11:17|-|aevil [] has joined #mythtv
11:22|-|jd86 [n=jd88@pdpc/supporter/student/jd86] has joined #mythtv
11:28|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has joined #mythtv
11:43|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has quit ["Leaving..."]
11:43|-|Chai_Sangeen [n=aljishi@] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
11:45|-|malban_ [] has joined #mythtv
11:50|-|malban [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
11:51|-|malban_ changed nick to malban
11:53|-|lsobral [n=lsobral@] has joined #mythtv
12:11|-|lsobral [n=lsobral@] has quit [Connection timed out]
12:12|-|xris [] has quit ["Leaving."]
12:23|-|jebel [n=je@] has joined #mythtv
12:24<gbee>CDev: I don't know if you want to be the one to commit it, but at xris' request I've added a new xml method for AlbumArt, it a straight copy of the GetChannelIcon function, the only difference being the SQL
12:27|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has joined #mythtv
12:32|-|WZ__ [] has joined #mythtv
12:34<GreyFoxx>well well. Apple provides and XML interface to their movie trailors for getting info/urls and such. That could be useful
12:34|-|MoRpHeUz_ [n=morphbr@] has joined #mythtv
12:35|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has quit [Nick collision from services.]
12:35|-|MoRpHeUz_ changed nick to MoRpHeUz
12:35|-|kormoc_ [] has joined #mythtv
12:36|-|kormoc_ changed nick to kormoc
12:55|-|kali67 [] has joined #mythtv
12:58|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
13:00|-|Taskinen [] has joined #mythtv
13:00|-|xris [] has joined #mythtv
13:00<CDev>gbee: feel free to commit it when you're ready.
13:07|-|gnome42 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:11|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has joined #mythtv
13:14|-|MoRpHeUz [n=morphbr@] has quit [Client Quit]
13:18|-|Fullmetal-Mavez [] has left #mythtv []
13:21|-|kali67 [] has quit []
13:43<gbee>CDev: ok thanks, I asked mainly because I didn't want to mess any particular ordering/grouping/naming of variables/functions you had going on
13:45<CDev>gbee: Thanks for the concern. (I could always re-arrange things if I don't like it :-) )
13:46<gbee>sure, ok I'll get it committed in a couple of hours or so, still got one more thing to do in the filescanner before it's ready
13:49<gbee>one thing I haven't done yet, but can easily add before I commit is the option to specify the height/width
13:50<gbee>might be needed, the album art I scanned to test it is ~500x500px
13:52<CDev>gbee: sounds good.
13:59|-|jd86 [n=jd88@pdpc/supporter/student/jd86] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
14:02|-|jd86 [n=jd88@pdpc/supporter/student/jd86] has joined #mythtv
14:08|-|robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
14:24|-|S2 [] has joined #mythtv
14:33|-|knowledgejunkie [n=knowledg@unaffiliated/knowledgejunkie] has joined #mythtv
14:48|-|colbert [] has joined #mythtv
14:50|-|memmo_ [] has joined #mythtv
14:52|-|colbert [] has left #mythtv ["brb"]
14:52<memmo_>I'm having some troubles with the mysql database
14:53<memmo_>anyone interested in this?
14:53<gbee>memmo_: #mythtv-users
14:55|-|j-rod [i=jarod@nat/redhat/x-1f88c45bd7ba4fd0] has quit ["Terminated with extreme prejudice - dircproxy 1.2.0"]
15:02<gbee>is the automatic aspect ratio override working for anyone?
15:07|-|S2 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
15:13|-|j-rod [i=jarod@nat/redhat/x-5e0e5ba66b830f12] has joined #mythtv
15:19|-|rm_you [] has joined #mythtv
15:19<rm_you>anyone have a lircrc for already set up for an old packard bell remote? :P
15:20<rm_you>ack, sorry, dev channel >_>
15:22|-|Disconnect [] has joined #mythtv
15:22<Disconnect>anyone grok firewire? fiostv is installed, channel changing happens, but i can't get the various video export tests to succeed (and it didn't just magically work, either. :( ..)
15:24<Disconnect>oh for fscks sake. it "just worked" now on about try 15.. so i'd love a pointer to troubleshooting info (beynd the wiki)
15:25<kormoc>Disconnect, that is a #mythtv-users topic
15:25<Disconnect>sorry, my bad
15:25|-|Disconnect [] has left #mythtv ["Bailed"]
15:34|-|stuarta [n=stuart@unaffiliated/stuarta] has quit ["i'm outta here..."]
15:46<subbyz>anybody here with commit access to svn that is willing to review and put two bugfixes to the scheduling and expiration code?
15:47<subbyz>if so, please check trac ticket number 3196.
16:02|-|memmo_ [] has quit ["Killed (einride (requested by panasync))"]
16:03|-|Taskinen [] has quit ["leaving"]
16:31|-|sigger [] has joined #mythtv
16:36|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
16:36|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit [Client Quit]
16:38|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
16:39|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit [Client Quit]
16:41|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
16:43|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit [Client Quit]
16:45|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
17:04|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit ["Leaving."]
17:04|-|jgarvey [] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:04|-|Cardoe [n=cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:06|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
17:06|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit [Client Quit]
17:08|-|DrNickRiviera [] has joined #mythtv
17:12<gbee>damn, missed my testing window
17:12|-|JoeBorn [] has quit ["rebootus maximus"]
17:13|-|JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
17:20|-|Merlin83b2 [] has joined #mythtv
17:22|-|JoeBorn [] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:26|-|JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
17:28|-|beavis [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
17:30|-|beavis [] has joined #mythtv
17:31|-|Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
17:37|-|mchang [] has joined #mythtv
17:38|-|alieas [] has joined #mythtv
17:38|-|Merlin83b [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
17:53|-|alieas [] has left #mythtv []
18:01|-|beavis [] has quit ["Verlassend"]
18:19|-|mchang [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:36|-|JoeBorn [] has quit ["breakfast and commute"]
18:38|-|onixian [] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:42|-|onixian [] has joined #mythtv
18:48<gbee>xris: over to you ;)
18:49<gbee>will probably tidy up the mythmusic parts of the changes - it got a little untidy
18:50<xris>gbee: albumart stuff? sweet
18:50<gbee>CDev: want me to add the height/width stuff to getchannelicon?
18:50<gbee>xris: yeah, just checked it all in
18:50<xris>I'll wait for the answer on that channelicon stuff and then recompile
18:50<xris>did videoart stuff get added, too?
18:51<gbee>took my a little longer than I thought, spent ages tracking down a stupid bug in the filescanner
18:51<gbee>xris: no, I can do that though - probably tomorrow night
18:52<xris>video art doesn't really matter much until/unless there's a way to send, too.
18:53<gbee>well it sending it is pretty simple, can more or less just copy GetAlbumArt and replace the SQL
18:55<gbee>hmm I thought Videoart was already in a table - I can't see it here
18:55<gbee>if it's not then it'll take a little longer, I'm not that familiar with the mythvideo code
18:56<gbee>oh nevermind, found it - in the videometadata table - coverfile column
18:56<xris>the path to the art is
18:57<gbee>so long as the path is local to the backend, then sending it isn't a problem
18:58<xris>there were small concerns about security issues, overwriting important files, etc.
18:58<xris>but at least video art is already something that the frontend downloads on its own.
18:58<o_cee>when starting a recording that has pre-record set (or whatever it's called), wouldn't it make sense to start playing where the recording is supposed to start instead of where the physical file recorded starts?
18:58<gbee>we're not writing files, just reading them atm
18:59<xris>gbee: yes. and I'm saying that a useful feature for the future would be able to tell the backend to download a file and add it to the video art dir. or send a file to the backend and tell it to store it in the video art dir.
18:59<xris>or channel icons, or whatever
19:00<xris>mainly video art and channel icons, though
19:00<gbee>o_cee: yeah it would be a nice option at least
19:00<xris>o_cee: at least sounds like an interesting idea
19:00<gbee>xris: ok, I'm following now
19:00<gbee>o_cee: should be very easy to do
19:00<xris>a better version would be to start at the first commercial flag point (although the commflag stuff would need to be fixed to account for "too short for commercial" boundaries at the beginning/end of recordings)
19:01<o_cee>99% of the time i keep forwarding 5 minutes to get to the beginning of the show, but i'm sure reaaaaly happy those times i only have to skip 2 minutes, hehe
19:01<xris>gbee: it basically lets the backend truly manage those files.. frontend/mythweb could be the UI for figuring out which file to use, and then just tell the backend to grab the file.
19:01<o_cee>xris: don't know how good i marks stuff at the beginning?
19:01<xris>o_cee: it doesn't. my preroll is usually too short to be considered a commercial, so it ignores it.
19:02<gbee>I'll put together a patch for people to try, see how well it works for everyone
19:03<gbee>I can't help wondering how many times I'd actually have to jump back to find the programme start
19:04<o_cee>you _shouldn't_ have to :)
19:05<xris>o_cee: if the clock on the mythbox or the broadcaster is off, you would
19:05<xris>I always edit the cutlist when I start playing, so it doesn't actually affect me much, anyway
19:06<gbee>o_cee: I shouldn't need preroll ;)
19:06<o_cee>gbee: nope hehe
19:08<briand>mythsvn: Upgrading 13019 to 13041
19:08<briand>holy crap, people, what have you been doing!! ;)
19:10<gbee>suprisingly minor changes considering the number of files touched
19:10|-|JoeBorn [n=rootmeis@] has joined #mythtv
19:11<briand>22 updates in 24 hours, though...
19:19<xris>briand: kormoc and I have been pretty busy in mythweb/nuvexport
19:20|-|kali67 [] has joined #mythtv
19:21<CDev>gbee: I'm busy working on a GUI frontend screen for the autodiscovery right now, and won't have time to work on the xml methods for a while. So, if you want to add the height /width to the channel icons, go right ahead.
19:21<gbee>CDev: ok
19:21<briand>xris: so I've noticed. :)
19:23<CDev>xris, gbee: If it's agreed upon that the backend will be accepting content (images, icons, media), then I would lean toward using the upnp CDS (Content Directory Service) spec to manage it. There are a bunch of optional methods that I haven't implemented that will support what you want to do.
19:24<xris>CDev: probably need to get signoff from other devs for things like how/where to store things like channel icons, video artwork, etc.
19:24<xris>well, video artwork already has a directory setting, but channel icons don't
19:26|-|aevil [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
19:26<CDev>xris: I started off trying to get the core upnp stack implemented, and only put together a basic CDS implementation, I then got sidetracked into the autodiscovery piece, but will eventually go back and implement a robust CDS.
19:27<CDev>I have plenty of grand plans, just not enough time. :-(
19:28<xris>I know the feeling
19:29<CDev>gbee: looking at the patch for GetAlbumArt... 3 little things.
19:29<Chutt>CDev, what's the default for the upnp database pin thingie?
19:29<gbee>fire away
19:30<Chutt>i dunno
19:30<Chutt>i think i may want to default that to something
19:30|-|jebel [n=je@] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
19:30<CDev>Chutt: Just say the word... easy to change to have a default. It won't be used until I get the frontend code working.
19:30<xris>default it to something, and make it very obvious in mythtv-setup
19:31<Chutt>i kind of don't want to have a fixed default
19:31<Chutt>would be better to prompt the user for it
19:31<Chutt>but i'm not sure exactly where you'd do that, since someone may not run mythtv-setup on an upgrade
19:31<CDev>The problem I ran into is were would we prompt them? During mythtv-setup?
19:32|-|daMaestro [n=jon@fedora/damaestro] has joined #mythtv
19:32<CDev>I figured, today, if the mysql.txt file doesn't exist, mythcontext just creates one with defaults.
19:32<CDev>having a blank pin as the default is kind of the same.
19:32<xris>Chutt: random
19:32<xris>would be easy enough to do for numbers.
19:32<Chutt>CDev, well, not _really_
19:32<Chutt>xris, random would work
19:33<Chutt>CDev, since it's giving out your mysql pw =)
19:33<Chutt>granted, you do have to have to have mysql set to answer that ip, but i imagine a bunch of people use wildcards for that
19:33<Chutt>i'd like some level of security.
19:33<xris>random solves the problem of *having* a default, and it's not something that users will be able to look up in the code somewhere to get everyone's default pisn
19:33<Chutt>xris, the only thing about random would we'd get people asking what their PIN is
19:34<CDev>How can it be random, if the user is required to enter it on choosing a given backend?
19:34<Chutt>random on setting up the backend
19:34<xris>CDev: randomly generated in the backend
19:34<GreyFoxx>well, if it's in settings they could use mythfrontend -G PINVARIABLENAME
19:34<xris>Chutt: yeah, but you'd get that with a fixed value, too.
19:34<GreyFoxx>from the backend anyway
19:34<gbee>well experience with things on the -users channel tells me that random might not be such a great idea - the number of people having trouble setting up mythtv using Ubuntu because the packagers though it would be a good idea to set a random mysql password for the mythtv user
19:34<xris>besides, the upnp stuff would only pop up of the myql.txt stuff wasn't already there, right? upgrade users wouldn't notice.
19:35<kormoc>well, there's always the bluetooth way
19:35<CDev>xris: no, it's supposed to replace the mysql.txt
19:35<Chutt>kormoc, no gui on the backend
19:35<Chutt>xris, embedded db -> no mysql.txt
19:35<kormoc>when a backend gets a new frontend request, it can dump a pin into it's log file
19:35<xris>Chutt: ahh. didn't realize those two were going together.
19:35<Chutt>no configs =)
19:36<xris>kormoc: the pin is to connect to the backend and get the mysql login info
19:36<xris>Chutt: yeah, but then you wouldn't need the pin since you're not giving out a mysql password
19:36<Chutt>same thing, kind of
19:36<Chutt>i dunno
19:36<kormoc>xris, so? I don't know why it wouldn't work
19:36<CDev>Now you know why I took the easy way and made it optional. :-/
19:36<xris>kormoc: the pin is to get access to the backend, not the other way around.
19:36<Chutt>it's ok for now
19:37<xris>CDev: heh
19:37<kormoc>xris, the backend receives a request, it gives a pin in the logs, you look for the pin, type it into the frontend, they pair up
19:37<kormoc>xris, yeah, that's the idea...
19:37<Chutt>we'll just need to think of a better solution before a release
19:37<Chutt>is all
19:37<xris>kormoc: user protection. avg newbie won't be able to check the logs.
19:37<CDev>The problem is, someone may not want a frontend to attach to a specific backend.
19:37<xris>Chutt: sounds good
19:37<xris>and embedded db may change things a bit, too
19:37<Chutt>CDev, exactly - i don't want dev frontends with code i'm working on talking to my production backend
19:38<o_cee>no more mysql? didn't think sqlite was fast enough?
19:38<xris>Chutt: and upnp stuff doesn't cross network zones very easily
19:38<Chutt>o_cee, embedded mysql
19:38<o_cee>Chutt: ooh
19:38<CDev>To me, that's is an advanced setup, and the dev server should be setup with a pin.
19:39<Chutt>CDev, it is, sure
19:39<CDev>We can work something out. I want to see the complete auto-discovery feature working first. It may expose other issues that need to be addressed.
19:39<kormoc>pairing could be controlled by mythtv-setup actually, you run mythtv-setup and it gives you the pins for frontend and you type it into that frontend
19:39[~]kormoc shrugs
19:39<Chutt>CDev, indeed
19:40<xris>kormoc: that's what I was saying.
19:40<xris>although in this case, it's not a pin per-frontend.. just per-backend
19:40<CDev>Chutt: The upnp stack I have in svn should give you enough support for the dbserver you wanted to start.
19:40<Chutt>xris, per master backend
19:40<kormoc>xris, per frontend allows you to limit access to specific backends, donno if that's a wanted feature or not though
19:41<xris>Chutt: yes, sorry
19:41<xris>kormoc: would be nice, but I think the vote was that it would be too much work. the point of this is to reduce the amount of effort required to install a new frontend down to just typing in a pin and letting it configure itself from there.
19:41<kormoc>fair 'nuff
19:42<CDev>xris: I see the frontends being able to change which backend it wants to talk too via a setup screen. Don't want to make it too hard to pair frontends to master backends.
19:42<xris>CDev: "if no previous frontend, or previous frontend is unreachable, display setup screen, otherwise connect to previous"
19:42<xris>or something like that
19:43<CDev>xris: replace frontend with backend in your statement, I think it would be true.
19:43<gbee>CDev: if you've any changes you want me to make, I've added the Height/Width args to GetChannelIcon and I'm just waiting for a test-window to open, after which I'll commit it - I can fix any problems with GetAlbumArt at the same time
19:43<Chutt>sorry if i derailed your guys' previous conversation
19:43<CDev>I am prompting the user with a GUI listing all master backends if the frontend 1) has never connected to a backend, 2) the default backend is not available
19:44<Chutt>CDev, awesome =)
19:44<xris>CDev: nice
19:44<gbee>CDev: will be very cool
19:44<xris>CDev: could just make a cli option to force that screen to appear, for when the user wants to switch backends.
19:44<xris>or even make a keystroke from within the frontend menu system to re-choose
19:45<CDev>Chutt: I was going to add a choice for "No Backend". Does that make sense? I think some people run without backends?
19:45<xris>CDev: some people do. that's a whole other discussion. :)
19:45<CDev>xris: I was thinking setup screen.
19:45<Chutt>CDev, sure
19:46<Chutt>CDev, and then drop back to a variation of the existing mysql connect screen?
19:46<CDev>Chutt: one more question for you... the DBServer... any reason MythBackend could be extended to be it instead of having another service running?
19:46<CDev>Chutt: yes.
19:46<gbee>how important is it that we retain the ability to run without a backend?
19:46<Chutt>CDev, i'd prefer a separate dbserver
19:47<Chutt>just keep it out of the same address space as all the tv junk
19:47<CDev>Chutt: fair enough.
19:47<Chutt>problems with the tv recording shouldn't impact a frontend, i don't think
19:48<CDev>Isolation is good.
19:48<briand>some members of the Donner Party might disagree with that statement, taken out of context... ;)
19:48<Chutt>there really isn't a reason, otherwise
19:48<Chutt>aside to keep it so people don't have to run a backend if they don't want to
19:49<CDev>One of the reasons I ask, is that gbee, xris & I are trying to provide a centralized storage for resources (channel Icons, cover art, ...)
19:49<xris>Chutt: I'd vote for just requiring the backend, but making the tv side of it slightly more optional.
19:49<briand>what do you do with a frontend-only system? watch internet downloaded videos?
19:49<Chutt>though i'm unsure about the media file sharing aspects and the backend
19:49<Chutt>briand, any of the other plugins
19:49<Chutt>xris, CDev, that was what the original intention of mfd was
19:50<Chutt>do all the file storage, handle ripping, etc
19:50<Chutt>i dunno
19:50<Chutt>we can talk about it later, i've gotta go =)
19:50<xris>Chutt: that's the frontend daemon, though, not the backend? or am I mistaken. I thought mfd was for running the frontend-related daemon services on the frontend (like playing audio, etc)
19:50<Chutt>probably makes sense to have that in the backend, really.
19:50<CDev>gbee: sorry to keep you waiting...
19:50<Chutt>at least the file storage bits
19:51<xris>Chutt: if you have to go, we can talk later. :)
19:51<gbee>what I had planned was to fetch media through the backend, if a backend is available, otherwise fall back to using local file access - which would keep both parties happy
19:51<CDev>gbee: whenever I add a xml method I like to keep the contrib/MythXMLTest web pages updated.
19:51<jams>CDev- for the initial BE selection are you using a popup window?
19:52<CDev>jams: since I don't have access to any of the db settings (no themes), I was creating a simple QT window to prompt the user.
19:53<gbee>CDev: I can do that
19:53<jams>good point
19:53<CDev>gbee: also, there is a service definition xml file for xml methods - MXML_scpd.xml
19:54<gbee>looks alphabetical?
19:54<CDev>gbee: and the last one is just a minor consistency thing... I've just recently changes all methods that take an Id to use Id as the parameter name. (no need to change, just a pet peive)
19:54<CDev>gbee: the xml?
19:55<gbee>I can change it, I'm not attached to the naming - in fact I tend to suck at it
19:55|-|knowledgejunkie [n=knowledg@unaffiliated/knowledgejunkie] has quit [Read error: 148 (No route to host)]
19:55|-|robthebob [] has quit [Connection timed out]
19:55<gbee>the order in which the methods are defined in MXML_scpd.xml
19:56<CDev>gbee: not ba big deal at all. MXML_scpd - I used the Intel Service Authoring tool (which sucks), It most likely did that.
19:57<CDev>I can make an update to the xml file when all other methods are added. No upnp device knows about or device type, so it's more of a formality than a nessessity.
19:57<gbee>well I've just added the GetAlbumArt method to it
19:57[~]CDev needs to learn how to spell
19:58<CDev>I've got to go... let me know if you have any questions/problems
19:58<gbee>should the GetChannelIcon arg ChanId be changed to Id then?
19:58<CDev>:-) That's one I didn't change... too may places :-)
19:59<briand>you're in good company...
19:59<CDev>gbee: just keep it ChanId... at least it's consistent.
19:59<briand>heck, look at the IOCTL calls in IVTV.. "VIDIO", indeed.
20:00<CDev>briand: I'm a terrible speller to begin with, but when I get typing fast, it gets really bad.
20:00<xris>gbee / CDev, I was going to mention that. would probably be a good idea to make the names of those fields consistent
20:00<briand>i can usually spell fairly well.. but if i'm typing fast (for me, that's > 100wpm), then the typos creep in
20:01<CDev>I have to go say good night to my children, and spend some time with my wife. Have a good night,.
20:01<jams>CDev- just something to keep in mind, but for a settings screen to switch B.E. I have found a screen like works a bit better then a combobox.
20:01<gbee>CDev: nite
20:02<gbee>briand: the famous example is "referer"
20:03<gbee>used the world over because it was mis-spelt in the http spec
20:04<gbee>hmm, I wonder what I'm supposed to put in <relatedStateVariable></relatedStateVariable>
20:08|-|jams [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
20:09|-|jams [] has joined #mythtv
20:15<gbee>xris: committed the height/width args for GetChannelIcon
20:17<gbee>thats me done for the now, goodnight all
20:18<briand>g'nite gbee
20:22|-|hads_ changed nick to hads
20:33<Chutt> 'video_output' mean = '33270.21', std. dev. = '15125.12', fps = '30.06'
20:33<Chutt>i thought video playback looked loads crappier
20:48|-|malban_ [] has joined #mythtv
20:48<xris>gbee: cool, I'll pike at it later tonight... (assuming you're still awake to see this)
20:51<briand>13041 won't start up for me.
20:51<briand>`service mythbackend start` returns an [OK] ...
20:52<briand>but the frontend doesn't find it running, and complains.
20:52<briand>[root@myth ~]# service mythbackend status
20:52<briand>mythbackend dead but subsys locked
20:52|-|jd86 [n=jd88@pdpc/supporter/student/jd86] has quit [Read error: 145 (Connection timed out)]
20:54<kormoc>briand, that's more a #mythtv-users issue
20:54|-|jd86 [n=jd88@pdpc/supporter/student/jd86] has joined #mythtv
20:54<kormoc>ooh, wait
20:55<kormoc>well, it just failed to run, might want to run it by hand and see if it complains
20:58|-|some_dude_ [] has joined #mythtv
20:58<briand>********* The UPNP service has been DISABLED with the --noupnp option *********
20:58<briand>2007-03-13 21:57:46.859 Main::Registering HttpStatus Extension
20:58<briand>Segmentation fault
20:58<some_dude_>hello, i need some advice on mythtv ppc
20:58<briand>yeah, it complained, alright.
20:58<some_dude_>sorry osx (intel)
21:00<some_dude_>I can't get it to compile, and i have the 'DecompressSequenceFrameWhen failed' problem with the prebuilt ones (from: snyderpad & others).
21:00<some_dude_>i am using the has some prebuilt osx (intel) binaries?
21:00<briand>kormoc: looks like it no longer plays nice when using the "--noupnp" flag..
21:00<some_dude_>using protocol 33?
21:02<kormoc>briand, might want to whip out gdb
21:03<briand>kormoc: I don't even know how to drive that beast
21:04|-|knowledgejunkie [n=knowledg@unaffiliated/knowledgejunkie] has joined #mythtv
21:05|-|malban [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:06<knowledgejunkie>is dblain about?
21:06<GreyFoxx>he just left I believe
21:06<knowledgejunkie>ooh bugger
21:06<knowledgejunkie>it appear the new upnp stuff breaks the backend if you turn it off
21:07|-|mkasson [] has joined #mythtv
21:07<Chutt>the option to turn it off should be going away soon.
21:07<GreyFoxx>yeah, someone else mentioned that just 5 minutes ago :)
21:07<briand>knowledgejunkie: yep.
21:07<briand>quickie solution: don't turn it off.
21:07<knowledgejunkie>I shall keep it enabled then :)
21:07<Chutt>it no longer breaks stuff when enabled, so shouldn't hurt anything.
21:08|-|mkasson [] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
21:08<briand>i had specified --noupnp in my init script a couple months ago, and just never re-enabled it
21:08<briand>Chutt: [nod]
21:08<Chutt>i figure it'll be easier to just ignore the option
21:08|-|sigger_ [] has joined #mythtv
21:08<briand>then, at the least, it should ignore it...
21:08<knowledgejunkie>when I did the patches for the initscripts I had turning off upnp in mind!
21:09<briand>right now, it tries to honor it, then promptly segfaults
21:09<Chutt>i'll let CDev handle it
21:09<briand>do you want me to write up a formal trac ticket for it?
21:10<briand>in this season of repeats, etc... the only thing it was trying to record was "How It's Made", which repeats at 0200 EDT, so 'no harm, no foul' here
21:10<Chutt>i wonder if opengl vsync is broken in general, or just on this machine
21:11|-|some_dude_ [] has left #mythtv []
21:16|-|DrNickRiviera [] has quit ["Leaving."]
21:21|-|xris [] has quit [""]
21:33|-|kali67 [] has quit []
21:45<knowledgejunkie>Would anyone object if I start (trying to write) some MythTV manpages? Why are there none?
21:46<GreyFoxx>Because you haven't written them yet
21:47<knowledgejunkie>GreyFoxx: I'll take that as encouragement then :)
22:05|-|kormoc [] has quit ["Leaving"]
22:12|-|xris [] has joined #mythtv
22:21|-|gnome42 [] has joined #mythtv
22:39|-|kormoc [] has joined #mythtv
23:17|-|reaspired [] has joined #mythtv
23:29|-|kormoc_ [] has joined #mythtv
23:30<xris>reaspired: you may be in the wrong channel
23:30<reaspired>yes I am
23:31|-|reaspired [] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
23:40|-|malban__ [] has joined #mythtv
23:40|-|malban__ changed nick to malban
23:41|-|malban [] has quit [Client Quit]
23:42|-|kormoc_ [] has quit ["Leaving"]
23:45|-|witless [] has joined #mythtv
23:45|-|witless [] has left #mythtv ["Ex-Chat"]
23:58|-|malban_ [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
23:59|-|Nem^1 [] has joined #mythtv
23:59|-|Nem^ [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
23:59|-|Nem^1 changed nick to Nem^
---Logclosed Wed Mar 14 00:00:13 2007