Back to Home / #mythtv / 2008 / 01 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2008-01-17

---Logopened Thu Jan 17 00:00:26 2008
00:03-!-davilla [] has joined #mythtv
00:04-!-davilla [] has quit [Client Quit]
00:25-!-davilla [] has joined #mythtv
00:44-!-killaz [] has quit ["OUCH!!!"]
01:01-!-davilla [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
01:17-!-cattelan [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
01:41-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
01:46-!-gnome42 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:07-!-johnp_ [] has joined #mythtv
02:33-!-reynaldo [] has quit ["Lost terminal"]
02:45-!-MavT [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
02:49-!-_crichardson [n=crichard@] has joined #mythtv
02:51-!-crichardson [n=crichard@] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
02:51-!-_crichardson is now known as crichardson
03:23-!-xris [] has quit []
03:30-!-Andui1 [] has joined #mythtv
03:35-!-Andui2 [] has joined #mythtv
03:35-!-Anduin [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:36-!-kurre2 [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:37-!-tomimo [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:42-!-Anduin [] has joined #mythtv
03:51-!-Andui1 [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:51-!-tomimo [] has joined #mythtv
03:53-!-kurre2 [] has joined #mythtv
03:55-!-mattwire [n=d43ae981@gateway/web/cgi-irc/] has joined #mythtv
03:55-!-Andui2 [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
04:04-!-kurre2__ [] has joined #mythtv
04:05-!-kurre2 [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
04:23-!-m4yh3m [n=mayhem@] has quit ["Leaving"]
04:42-!-loops [] has joined #mythtv
04:56-!-clever [] has quit []
05:12-!-ineti [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
05:12-!-ineti [] has joined #mythtv
05:13-!-clever [] has joined #mythtv
05:34-!-grokky [] has joined #mythtv
06:10-!-grokky [] has quit []
06:25-!-MrGandalf [] has quit ["Leaving"]
07:22-!-MaverickTech [] has joined #mythtv
07:26<justinh>gbee: you need bigger text on your site stating metallurgy only works with trunk ;)
07:30-!-nordenm [] has joined #mythtv
07:31<nordenm>I found a bug that's easy to fix but I don't know how to report it or how I create a diff, can someone help me?
07:33-!-johnp_ [] has quit ["Leaving."]
07:33<laga>nordenm: create an unified diff with diff -u or svn diff if youi've got a checkout. is your fix against 0-20-fixes or against trunk?
07:34<nordenm>it's in trunk/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/networkcontrol.cpp . On line 590 it is clear that the telnet command for rewinding is "play seek rewind" but line 770 that outputs the help file states that you whould write "play seek backward". It's just a matter of changing one of the strings
07:34<laga>well, if it still exists in trunk, create a patch and open a ticket in trac
07:34<nordenm>I'm actually running on an apt-getted 0.20 on an old machine. I'm planning on using svn when I reinstall, but I haven't got enough time on my hands right now.
07:35<nordenm>it still exists in trunk.
07:35<justinh>I could fix it right now but don't want to step on anybody's toes
07:36<justinh>ahh line 590/591
07:37<nordenm>so I check out trunk, modify the file, do a diff -u and then attach the file to a ticket?
07:37<justinh>yup that's it
07:37<justinh>helps if you set a preference at so there's a record of your email address too. just so you're not 'anonymous'
07:38<gbee>justinh: how's that possible? :)
07:39<justinh>gbee: I dunno. 700pt text maybe?
07:40<justinh>just had somebody next door reporting that it won't work.." oh wait... ahh now I see... bye"
07:40<nordenm>do you guys use trunk for actual frontends or just for development?
07:40<janneg>justinh: you won't butr I can fix it right now if you don't want
07:40<laga>i use trunk for my frontends
07:40<laga>i update about once a month
07:40<nordenm>so it's reasonably stable then, that's comforting :)
07:40<laga>and of course for my backends too :)
07:40<justinh>janneg: still feel a bit twitchy about code commits sometimes
07:42-!-bendailey [] has joined #mythtv
07:43<laga>gbee: "being treated like a criminal by US Border Authorities" heh :)
07:45<justinh>heh I've not updated trunk on this box since before the multirec merge
07:46<laga>same here.
07:46<laga>still too scared
07:46<nordenm>how does trunk actually work? I'm guessing that the milestones 0.21 and 0.22 are branches? but do their changes take effect in trunk as well?
07:47<gbee>nordenm: trunk is the main development code, where all changes happen - 0.21 when it is released will be a tag pointing to a specific revision in trunk
07:48<nordenm>ah okay
07:48<nordenm>so everything that is altered for 0.22 before 0.21 is released is also included in 0.21?
07:48<gbee>nordenm: yeah
07:48<gbee>0.21-fixes will be a branch created for backporting fixes from trunk for a point release of 0.21
07:49<justinh>pity there's no mention of a conf call about that meeting thing. in this age of broadband...
07:49<gbee>so 0.21-fixes is 0.21, with selected commits manually copied over
07:50<laga>justinh: there is
07:50<laga>justinh: you need to read the wiki page on the linuxmce site
07:50<justinh>bah couldn't be bothered reading that
07:53<justinh>I did only skim through it anyway. too much going on at the mo
07:55-!-nordenm [] has quit []
07:56<janneg>nordenm: fixed, thanks for reporting
07:57<gbee>justinh: was there a particular mailing list or forum post you were refering to when you said that I need to improve the "trunk" signposting?
07:58<justinh>gbee: a user next door trying to point out metallurgy didn't work.
07:59<justinh>downloaded, installed it, then after I said it'd only work with trunk did he realise
07:59<justinh>anyway re this 'new ui' is there any evidence of libplasma anywhere? screenshots, video? anything?
07:59-!-MGisbers [n=mgisbers@] has joined #mythtv
08:00<justinh>ahh found some
08:01<janneg>justinh: kde 4.0.0
08:04<justinh>looks quite nice
08:08-!-mattwire [n=d43ae981@gateway/web/cgi-irc/] has quit ["CGI:IRC"]
08:12<justinh>gbee: totally take your point re mythui. then again I can't see this plasma based stuff coming in overnight. I'd say it'd still be well worth doing mythui porting. we have mythui now. we don't have the other and likely won't for a long time
08:20<justinh>pluto still seem to be going on & on about alpha blended stuff on top of video. be nice _not_ to have to see every menu on top of video if we don't want to, too
08:21<gbee>I either want to watch the video, or navigate the menus - can't really do both
08:24<justinh>turn the menus down a bit I'm trying to watch Eastenders :P
08:25<justinh>I think there's a real danger of 'cool stuff' being done for the sake of it rather than the good of mythtv itself. I have reservations about everything, relevant or not
08:26<justinh>pluto wouldn't mind mythtv using a common library with their stuff - it'd be a major boon for them. what would mythtv get out of it?
08:27<justinh>.. that we couldn't already do with mythui I mean..
08:27<gbee>one of the reasons I wanted to get across the point about _everything_ being themable
08:27<gbee>justinh: we don't really get anything from it and frankly pluto don't really, KDE are the "winners"
08:28-!-GreyFoxx [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
08:28-!-GreyFoxx [] has joined #Mythtv
08:29<gbee>to repeat something I read today about a similar initiative, Trolltech/KDE are just using the linuxmce and mythtv communities as slave labour to reach their own particular end game
08:29<justinh>gbee: I agree with your point about everything being themable too. different themes, different info on screen. no segfaults caused by missing containers cos a theme designer didn't want clutter (or is mental & didn't see a need for it)..
08:30<justinh>I got the impression KDE were desperate to have their own 'media center' when I met Aaron last year
08:31<gbee>I'd like to be less cynical, but I don't believe they are really interested in seeing mythtv/linuxmce benefit from this, after all their own plans are to create a "KDE Media Centre"
08:32<justinh>I'm even cynical about linuxmce's involvement
08:32<justinh>they all have an axe to grind
08:32<janneg>gbee: porting mythui completly to qt4 will bring major changes
08:32<GreyFoxx>justinh: Did you find a site showing screenshots of some of libplasmas functions and such ?
08:32<gbee>once this UI library is done, they'll just rip the parts they want from each project and go into business as a competitor to mythtv (as I've said before, competition in the OS world is bad for everyone)
08:33<justinh>found a few mockups. nothing really concrete other than kde4.0 screenshots.
08:33<justinh>and besides I felt that leaving it til last Saturday to ask me if I want to fly half way across the world for a meeting was a bit "piss up in a brewery"
08:34<gbee>janneg: interesting, though I don't see how, might allow animation etc with the QT painter but mythui itself doesn't really depend on QT in a way that would bring improvements?
08:34<gbee>justinh: were they aware that you are in the UK?
08:35<justinh>if the email address didn't give it away there'd have been something wrong
08:35<justinh>short notice air travel is expensive IME
08:36<justinh>£800 economy single last time I went to SF
08:40-!-moodboom [] has quit [Client Quit]
08:42<gbee>it's very expensive, which is why I asked if they knew where you were - lot of money just to have an extra voice in the room
08:44-!-lsobral [n=sobral@] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:44-!-lsobral [n=sobral@] has joined #mythtv
08:45<justinh>maybe they were gonna bump me off for slagging off linuxmce so much :P
08:45-!-adac [] has joined #mythtv
08:46<janneg>gbee: I probably exagerated but the porting isn't triviD[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[C[C[Cal
08:46<gbee>janneg: ok
08:47<adac>is there planned something like p2p for to share tv channels? that would be a nice feature :D
08:47<GreyFoxx>adante: No :)
08:48<GreyFoxx>p2p = not likely ever :)
08:48<gbee>can you spell illegal?
08:48<adac>well...never tried to spell it
08:49<gbee>I do not want to end up in Guantanamo Bay because the MPAA decide that mythtv is facilitating the pirating of TV or DVD content
08:50<adac>gbee: p2p is an act of terrorism for sure
08:51<gbee>it is as far as the RIAA and MPAA are concerned
08:52<GreyFoxx>until the US based devs can be assured by their own government/legal system that they do not rish criminial or civil legal action p2p is a nono :)
08:52<GreyFoxx>s/rish/risk :)
08:55<clever>lets do it but just say we arent:P
08:55<clever>i see nothing!
08:57<clever>i hear nothing!
09:00<justinh>who said that?
09:00<adac>you could say it is for sharing pics
09:01<justinh>you could say it's not up for discussion
09:01<clever>cant speak of it but nothing stops you from seting it up yourself
09:02<clever>until the riaa breaks your door down:P
09:02*clever gives adac a hammer to either get rid of the evidence or hit himself in the head with when the door breaks
09:03<clever>cant do much do you if your brain is a splat on the monitor:P
09:04<adante>good thing most (any?) of the devs aren't aussie - we only legalised video recording in 2006
09:05<clever>did you even have VCR'
09:05<clever>'s before then?:P
09:05<rooaus>adante: Nigel is one of us, Aussie that is :)
09:05<clever>and by saying 'one of us' means your also ausie:P
09:06<adante>clever: yes :P basically legal in everything but name
09:06<adante>ah aussies are coming crawling out of the woodwork now
09:08-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
09:15<clever>this is odd
09:15<clever>a single ip has made 600 connections to my bittorrent port in the past few mins
09:17<clever>this bugger is active:P
09:31-!-Cardoe [n=cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
09:32-!-MGisbers [n=mgisbers@] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
09:33<adac>clever: it is me. testing my mythtv p2p module lol
09:33<clever>you have an ip in bulgaria?
09:33<clever>and 2 others
09:34<clever>each of those has sent 1000 SYN's at my torrent client so far
09:34<clever>since i started keeping a closer eye on things
09:35<justinh>send in the death squad
09:35<clever>i dont have a ddos net ready to retal yet:P
09:35<clever>best i can do is DROP at my router
09:36<clever> has hit 900!
09:37<gbee>everything gets DROP'd at my router, except for ssh which is insanely locked down
09:37<clever>i need 6001 opened to let torrents work right
09:38<clever>one of which is a linux iso so something is legal here:P
09:38<gbee>bittorrent is far too slow for downloading CD/DVD isos IMHO, I just download direct from the mirrors
09:38<adac>clever: actually i never noticed something like that on bittorent
09:39<clever>gbee: yeah they are often slower but it helps others to seed after i dd
09:39<clever>adac: i wasnt normaly loging SYN's that i forward on so i didnt notice it
09:40<clever>helps to log even what you do let in along side of what you block
09:42<adac>yea that is true
09:42<clever>grep SRC /var/log/kern.log|awk '{split($0,arr); for(i in arr) { if(arr[i] ~ /SRC/)split(arr[i],tmpa,"="); print tmpa[2]; } }'|sort|uniq -c|sort -n|tail -n 30
09:42<clever>that gives a summary of all SRC= lines in the log
09:43<clever> 1584
09:43<clever> 1752
09:43<clever>how often they where sighted and who
09:43<clever>add a iptables -j LOG on --syn and run the cmd every now and then to see who is #1!
09:46<adac>cool. thx
09:47<clever>by changing the SRC to DPT you can get stats on which port is being hit the hardest
09:47<clever>which is what led me to look closer at the torrents in the first place
09:48<clever>will probly work for any of the NAME=VALUE fields in the log
09:49<clever> 12289 6001
09:49<clever>6001 has received 12k packets!
09:49<clever>2nd best was port 26226 :S
09:49<clever>only a few registered ports like 113 are even showing near the top 50
09:51<justinh>life's too short
09:53<clever>increase the TTL field in your header?
09:53<justinh>life's too short to inspect every packet & collect reams of stats on em all :)
09:54<clever>the router ip is sending things to my torrent now...
09:56<clever>those are just the torrent client bouncing itself off the router
09:56<clever>SNAT rule lets it do that
10:04-!-jgarvey [] has joined #mythtv
10:07<clever>should i mention the torrent is also on the same port as an X server on :1 ...
10:08<clever>those could be attemps to hax my x server
10:16-!-rooau1 [] has joined #mythtv
10:22-!-mattwire [n=d43ae981@gateway/web/cgi-irc/] has joined #mythtv
10:32<gbee>I think I'd struggle to be a server admin, scanning through logs looking for intrusion attempts would be the most boring job in the world
10:33<justinh>I thought they all had tools for that
10:34<gbee>*sigh* just spent 20 minutes trying to work out why this timer wasn't firing and I've just noticed that I'd set it for 4 minutes instead of 4 seconds
10:34<gbee>justinh: guess they must have some, but all the server security howtos I've read talk about reviewing the logs themselves
10:35<justinh>must be why so many are so bitter
10:36-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
10:36<MrGandalf>janneg: there?
10:38<jthomas__>In ATSC PSIP- how often do genre descriptor tags show up in the descriptor segment in an EIT? Is it entirely optional?
10:38-!-bendailey [] has left #mythtv []
10:39<janneg>MrGandalf: yes
10:39<janneg>jthomas__: I don't know if anyone here has deeper knowledge of ATSC PSIP
10:40<MrGandalf>this is using15437 (pre tuning patch)
10:40<jthomas__>janneg, There was one fellow: but, thanks :)
10:40<janneg>MrGandalf: so basicly the same as the log in #4477
10:42-!-davilla [n=davilla@] has joined #mythtv
10:44<MrGandalf>janneg: yes, ver simular, though he doesn't get as many AddFlags messages as I do
10:49<MrGandalf>janneg: gotta go.. just real quick, looks like DVBSignalMonitor::UpdateValues() should check for kDTVSigMon_WaitForSig before adding it.. would cut down on a log of logging
10:51-!-rooau1 [] has quit ["Leaving."]
11:14-!-skd5aner [] has quit []
11:16-!-\S2 [] has joined #mythtv
11:17-!-\S2 is now known as S2
11:17-!-dekar1 [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
11:27-!-bendailey [] has joined #mythtv
11:41-!-reynaldo [] has quit ["Lost terminal"]
11:41-!-adac [] has left #mythtv ["Kopete 0.11.1 :"]
11:47-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
11:48<anykey_>hm, trying to integrate the shoutcast patch into trunk. I get an error that MythThemedDialog is protected. How do I get around that?
11:53<gbee>no idea what it's trying to do, so can't say how to fix it
11:54<anykey_>think it's trying to show an editor for the metadata
11:54<gbee>myththemedmenu isn't protected, it's a public class in libmyth
11:55-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
11:55<anykey_>it's trying to MythThemedDialog *dialog = meta->createEditorDialog (); with meta being instance of Metadata class
11:57<justinh>anykey_: a new QObject?
11:58<anykey_>justinh: huh? ;)
11:58<anykey_>I don't really get it yet, I think
11:58<justinh>I don't either but I'll have a go at owt :)
11:58<anykey_>what is owt?
11:58<justinh>anykey_: if in doubt try running configure again
11:59<justinh>anykey_: owt == Northern English vanacular for 'anything' ;)
12:00-!-leprechau [] has joined #mythtv
12:01<anykey_>now it doesn't like 'delete dialog', what about that?
12:01<djc_>Sigh.. I can't seem to find any specific recommendations for mobile phone/providers that are known to supporting running the gmail mobile app to run
12:01<mattwire>try something like dialog->deleteLater() I think...
12:02<anykey_>ok, compiles
12:02*anykey_ smells a runtime error
12:02<justinh>you never know til you try it :)
12:03<justinh>biggest shock I always get is when stuff just works
12:03<justinh>makes me much more suspicious
12:04<djc_>everything I find on the net is based around, ok, so you already have phone X with provider Y, and mostly about working around problems. I'd like to find a list oriented to someone shopping for phones/service, that gives combinations that work with no problem at all
12:09-!-jamesd [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
12:10-!-iamlindoro__ [n=rmcnamar@] has joined #mythtv
12:23<anykey_>yay, segfault
12:34-!-gnome42 [] has joined #mythtv
12:35-!-jamesd [] has joined #mythtv
12:42<anykey_>hm, how do I need to run gdb for mythfrontend? If I do DISPLAY=:0 gdb 'mythfrontend' and then type 'run' nothing happens on the screen
12:42<GreyFoxx>export DISPLAY:0
12:42<GreyFoxx>try that before launching gdb ?
12:43<GreyFoxx>otherwise I think the DISPLAY vlaue applies to gdb, and not to the spawned mythfrontend
12:43<anykey_>doesn't seem to help. Mythfrontend seems to be able to connect to the x-server, but I don't see something in vnc...
12:45-!-skamithi [] has joined #mythtv
12:46<anykey_>nothing on the real display either
12:47<GreyFoxx>running mythfrontend all by itself works fine ?
12:48<anykey_>maybe it has something to do with the painter
12:48<anykey_>not really. the mythfrontend output stops at 'Using screen 0, 800x600 at 0,0' when in gdb
12:52<anykey_>any idea?
12:54-!-ineti [] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
12:56<anykey_>GreyFoxx: seems like after creating four threads it stops executing them, do I need some special args for gdb?
12:59<GreyFoxx>at this point I used "run -v all" from within gdb
12:59<GreyFoxx>see what it was/is doing at the point of the apparently failure
13:00<anykey_>I don't really see something going wrong there... :/
13:13-!-jthomas__ [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
13:15-!-S2 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:17-!-mattwire [n=d43ae981@gateway/web/cgi-irc/] has quit ["CGI:IRC"]
13:20<gbee>anykey_: easiest way to use gdb is to create a gdbcommands file as detailed in the mythtv docs under troubleshooting, then just use gdb -x gdbcommands mythfrontend
13:21<anykey_>ok, will try
13:21<gbee>anykey_: it's not segfaulting in the pastebin, if it's hanging just crtl-c it to see where it's sticking
13:24-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
13:42-!-aevil [] has joined #mythtv
13:49<jams>gbee, any plans to move all the fonts to a single file that is not theme.xml ?
13:49<jams>i should say all global fonts
13:51-!-skamithi [] has quit ["WeeChat 0.2.3"]
13:51<gbee>haven't really thought about it, with mythui they can be moved to any file which is guarenteed to be parsed at startup, e.g. base.xml but I've not given thought to a seperate fonts file
13:52<gbee>wouldn't be hard to do, could even be imported into base.xml from something called fonts.xml if you want to keep them in a seperate location
13:53<jams>that would work. I was thinking it would go along way to keep the font names standard and also help cleanup the font stuff in the default themes.
13:55<jams>For instance with the current theme I'm working on, I don' tmind using the default layout but want to use a different font. As it stands now I have to use a copy of the default xml, just to change the fonts up a bit.
13:57<jams>right now i'm moving them all to theme.xml and the amount of duplication is huge.
13:58<gbee>jams: when we convert the default/core themes over we will definately cleanup and reduce the number of fonts, but I think I could face resistance if I try to reduce the number of fonts too much
13:58<MrGandalf>janneg: have a minute?
13:59<gbee>metallurgy uses 4 main fonts, basically 4 different sizes - IMHO it's possible to build a theme around that small number
13:59<jams>didn't say reduce, just move them to one location.
14:00<gbee>jams: they'll need to be reduced, would be impossible to use otherwise, too many name overlaps etc
14:01<Chutt>i was planning base or a separate fonts file
14:01<gbee>the "txtfnt" in one container might be different from the "txtfnt" in another, so at the very least they would need renaming
14:02<gbee>at that point you might as well consolidate them into ~10 different fonts with a clear naming scheme
14:02<jams>from my point of view i don't care about the number of font's just where they are kept.
14:02<gbee>e.g. small, medium, large, title, smallprint ..
14:03<jams>right that makes sense.
14:03<gbee>jams: sure, I'm just saying that they can't just be copied/pasted into a seperate file and loaded globally without some sort of cleanup - that would actually increase memory usage for a start
14:06<gbee>most fonts are currently loaded at the same time as the window they appear in, so at any time you might have just 5/6 in memory, move them globally without reducing the number and suddenly you've got 100+ in memory
14:06<jams>oh right that i understand.
14:07<gbee>I think QT might actually keep track of things in the background to reduce memory usage, but I'm not certain
14:08<gbee>could someone remind me what the build-dep line for ubuntu is? The one which pulls in all the required packages?
14:09<laga>apt-get build-dep mythtv
14:09<jams>moving all the common fonts would still be a good idea. if mythweather wants to use mw-i-am-special so be it, but we don't need title redefined 20 times
14:09<laga>enable your deb-src repos in sources.list
14:09<janneg>MrGandalf: yes
14:10<anykey_>hm, I'm getting an error in MadDecoder::flush() :/
14:10<jams>Chutt- were you planning on moving just the common fonts to font.xml ?
14:11<gbee>laga: thanks, don't have ubuntu here but I'm helping someone who does
14:11<laga>gbee: we also have trunk packages ;)
14:13-!-nsaspook [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
14:13-!-nsaspook [] has joined #mythtv
14:13<MrGandalf>janneg: Looks like rotorPosition.IsGood is never getting set after the first tune
14:13<gbee>laga: they are using some of my patches, so need to build from source :)
14:22<janneg>MrGandalf: can you print pos in DVBSignalMonitor::GetRotorStatus()
14:24<MrGandalf>janneg: yeah, I had that in tehre before.. was adding it again just now..
14:27<MrGandalf>... if I can fight off all these pesky people in my cube..
14:28<anykey_>did anyone ever look at eskils shoutcast patch? I updated it for 15448, it works somehow but I'm not able to play the stream, it crashes with an error in MadDecoder::flush(). Maybe someone out of you has a hint...?
14:29<MrGandalf>janneg: THat's the problem.. first tune, pos climbs as expected. Every tune after that, pos stays at 0. That ticket is correct.
14:36-!-Tobias92 [] has joined #mythtv
14:44<janneg>MrGandalf: that's strange. we didn't change the diseqc code
14:44<reynaldo>where do I find the code that defines the 'SETTINGS APPEARANCE' action interface?
14:46<janneg>MrGandalf: but the rotor moves to the correct position?
14:47<reynaldo>hum, sounds like mythfrontend/globalsettings.cpp
14:47<MrGandalf>janneg: It doesn't seem to be the first diseqc rotor call, but the first tune. ie: if I restart the backend, it sends an initial rotor command, but then when I tuned to a different rotor position it works. Every channel tune after that fails though no matter what rotor position.
14:47<MrGandalf>janneg: I believe so, I'll verify
14:49<gbee>might not be worthwhile, but any objections if I start defining good defaults for all instances of GetSetting? I've never really like how we populate the default settings at starting by loading the settings wizards in the background, at startup
14:50<gbee>well I'm sure you get my point even if that doesn't resemble English
14:51<janneg>MrGandalf: thnaks so far. I'll look again through the multirec changeset
14:51<gbee>I'm wondering if it's possible to speed up startup times by ditching WriteDefaults() from the frontend/backend
14:53<MrGandalf>janneg: yes, it is moving to the correct position.
15:00<gbee>odd, just selected a programme from the guide for "single record" but it's telling me that the programme won't be recorded because it's not listed
15:02<gbee>just refuses to record it, so I had to go into livetv and hit record there
15:19-!-jhp [] has joined #mythtv
15:20-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
15:22<gnome42>janneg, MrGandalf: Might the problem be related to:
15:26<MrGandalf>well, that went into 14392 and I
15:26<MrGandalf>I'm using 14915 without issue.
15:27<gnome42>Ah, ok. It was the only change that came to mind.
15:27-!-thing [n=chatzill@] has joined #mythtv
15:28-!-dekarl [] has joined #mythtv
15:29<MrGandalf>the problem is, rotor position never moves from 0
15:35<jarle_>It seems like I have found a bug in the channel sorting routine in myth. I have set up sorting by channel number, and this works just fine in the program guide, however when changing channels in live TV (using arrow up/down) channels seems to be sorted in alphabetical order. Can anybody re-produce this bug?
15:46-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
15:55-!-xris [] has quit []
15:55-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
15:58-!-Tanthrix [] has quit [Nick collision from services.]
15:58-!-Tanthrix [] has joined #mythtv
16:00-!-Tobias92 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
16:00<MrGandalf>janneg: additionally, it looks like DiSEqCDevRotor::GetProgress() get called on the first tune, as it should, but never gets called again.
16:02-!-mattwire [] has joined #mythtv
16:03-!-bendailey [] has quit ["Leaving."]
16:04-!-matooke [] has joined #mythtv
16:06<justinh>regarding fonts btw I wouldn't mind helping to clean them up. gbee's right in saying not all that many sizes are needed IMHO. makes for easier maintenance too
16:07<justinh>add plugins, each with their own font definitions, half of them different to one another...
16:07<matooke>is there a way to stream a recorded video to another pc instead of downloading the entire movie?
16:07<justinh>on closer inspection there's a heck of a lot of duplication - there's probably not even that much variance in size
16:08<justinh>matooke: wrong channel for that question
16:08<justinh>look at the topic :)
16:10<gbee>matooke: #mythtv-users (and yes, that's one of the points of mythtv)
16:14-!-thing [n=chatzill@] has quit ["ChatZilla 0.9.80 [Firefox]"]
16:17<gbee>another failed recording with multirec
16:20<MrGandalf>janneg: GetRotorStatus() shows rotorPosition.GetValue() incrementing as it should, but if you print out rotorPosition.GetValue() in DVBSignalMonitor::UpdateValues(), it always shows 0 after the first tune. It's like rotorPosition.SetValue(0) is being called somewhere after being called in GetRotorStatus.
16:20<MrGandalf>gotta go
16:22<gbee>janneg: noticed that the "switch to input" option in the OSD Menu seems messed up with multirec
16:23<gbee>I've two inputs, one named "Freeview 1" and the other "Freeview 2", the switch to input menu shows "Freeview 2" listed 3 times (it seems to vary)
16:24<janneg>gnome42: no, that was the fix
16:24<mattwire>I've a nova-t 500 (ie 2 cards) both called DTT and a dvb-s card called Hotbird
16:24<janneg>gbee: switch input shows every recorder
16:25<mattwire>in my switch input list I currently have DTT, Hotbird, DTT, DTT, Hotbird
16:25<mattwire>every recorder except the one you are viewing?
16:26-!-matooke [] has quit ["ChatZilla 0.9.80 [Firefox]"]
16:26-!-jhp [] has left #mythtv []
16:26<gbee>janneg: surely it just needs to show the primary inputs, not the virtual ones? At the least it needs to distinguish between them somehow, e.g. "Freeview 2 (Input 3)"
16:27-!-MaverickTech [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
16:27<janneg>mattwire: yes
16:28-!-MrGandalf [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
16:28<gnome42>gbee: This list might be changing because it only shows inputs that are currently available.
16:29<gbee>I'm not sure why it needs to show virtual inputs though, let that be handled behind the scenes, there is no difference between virtual inputs on the same card so a user will never want to select a particular one
16:29<gbee>gnome42: yeah, makes sense now that I know it's showing the virtual inputs available
16:30<janneg>gbee: there is no distinction between virtual/real recorders
16:31-!-aevil [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
16:33<gbee>janneg: there must be one in the code somewhere? I just don't find it that logical to show all inputs in that menu, but if you aren't going to change it then that's fine I guess, I'll just hack in a fix on my tree
16:34<gbee>let me sort out the logs for this failed recording
16:50<janneg>gbee: it is on my todo list
16:51<reynaldo>is there a way to get a list of the supported languages ?
16:51<reynaldo>from within a plugin I mean
16:52<janneg>the only distinction is in dvbchannel. It is somehow exported it to TVRec
16:52<gbee>janneg: ok, np
16:54<gbee>it's cosmetic, but needs fixing IMHO - with 5 cards and 5 virtual inputs, you would have a list 20 items long which is silly when there is no difference between two virtual inputs on the same card
16:55<janneg>just use "switch source"
16:56<gbee>think I've just killed my HDD by logging with -v record,siparser,channel :(
16:56<gbee>started whining after a couple of hours of that assault
17:00<janneg>gbee: encoders 27 and 30 are on distinct real cards?
17:01<gbee>janneg: different tuners on the same card (Nova-T 500)
17:01<janneg>yes, I see it now
17:01<gbee>27,28,29 are tuner 1
17:01<gbee>30-32 are tuner 2
17:02*gnome42 notes there is no status in those logs: dvbchannel.cpp:wait_for_backend: Status:
17:07<janneg>gbee: do you still have logs before that excerpt? all I can see from the log is that no data is comming from the card
17:08<gbee>janneg: yeah, I just cut it down because they are pretty big, how far back do you want to go?
17:08<janneg>gbee: any dvb related messages in the kernel log? especially nova-t500 related
17:09<janneg>not much the first appearance of encoder 30 plus a couple of lines
17:10<gbee>nothing in the kernel log relating to the dvb-usb etc after 14:31 today
17:10<gbee>so nothing to explain the failure at 20:58
17:10<janneg>ok, was the other failure also on the nova-t500?
17:12-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
17:13<gbee>the one from yesterday? yes, it's the only card in that backend and the only backend running multirec
17:17-!-Syphn [] has joined #mythtv
17:17-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit [Connection timed out]
17:18-!-gandalfcome [] has joined #mythtv
17:19-!-jgarvey [] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:20<janneg>gbee: nothing in there
17:21<gandalfcome>I suggest to change "video sources" to "epg or guide sources". (please dont hit me)
17:21<gbee>gandalfcome: your too late, we decided to do that a long time ago
17:21<gandalfcome>you're changing it?
17:22<gbee>yes, whenever we get the time
17:22<gandalfcome>wow, in the users channel, people thought that you had agreed on not changing it. well two thumbs up
17:23-!-blackest [] has joined #mythtv
17:24-!-blackest [] has left #mythtv []
17:25<gbee>the devs agreed between ourselves to change it, but when we asked for user opinion they started a stupid debate on what it should be changed to (so the changes got delayed by users, not devs)
17:26<justinh>some things are best left unasked sometimes
17:29<gbee>development by committee is just as difficult in open source as it is in the real world
17:29-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
17:29-!-fiXXXerMet [] has joined #mythtv
17:30<jams>sometimes worse
17:30<justinh>nah development by committee is fine so long as the people chipping in are actually the people who do the development, not everybody & his dog who have an opinion :)
17:30<kormoc>My dog wants steak
17:30<gbee>I want steak
17:31<justinh>I got burned on the -dev list & I won't be doing it again. not even a rhetorical question. not even hypothetical
17:31<gbee>and onion rings, baked potato
17:31<gbee>now I'm hungary
17:31<kormoc>Mmm... Potato...
17:31<janneg>MrGandalf: rotorPosition.SetValue(0); is called in dvbsignalmonitor.cpp line 143 if pos is 0
17:32-!-fiXXXerMet [] has left #mythtv []
17:32<MrGandalf>yes, I know.. I put in a debug after that. It is getting set correctly there
17:32<MrGandalf>but seems to be getting reset somewhere else
17:32<gbee>hungry, took me a minute to spot that typo
17:33<gbee>I'm not an Eastern European country who's capital is Budapest
17:33*justinh composes a 'what colour should the 'recording in progress' font be' just for sick kicks
17:34<gbee>justinh: don't you dare
17:34<laga>i prefer a greenish purple
17:34<gbee>I do not want to open my email tomorrow to find a 300 post long thread on the merits of Royal Blue versus Aquamarine
17:35<janneg>MrGandalf: pos is increasing after the first tune? then I misunderstood something earlier
17:35*justinh hums the 'what colour shall we paint the shed' tune, ad infinitum
17:35<MrGandalf>gimmi a sec, I'll show you..
17:36-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
17:36<janneg>20:29:42 < MrGandalf> janneg: THat's the problem.. first tune, pos climbs as expected. Every tune after that, pos stays at 0.
17:38-!-skd5aner [] has joined #mythtv
17:39<skd5aner>Hello :)
17:39-!-robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
17:49-!-awilkins [n=awilkins@pdpc/supporter/active/awilkins] has joined #mythtv
17:50<awilkins>Anyone know anything about this "Freeview Playback" malarky / is actually implementing anything / knows where to get specs?
17:52-!-beavis [] has quit ["Verlassend"]
17:54-!-drwahl [] has joined #mythtv
17:54<MrGandalf>very odd, took me a couple times to get it to reproduce the same error..
17:54<MrGandalf>anyway, almost there
17:55-!-gandalfcome [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
17:55-!-gandalfcome_ [] has joined #mythtv
17:56<MrGandalf>that's my debug statements
17:56<drwahl>i have a quick question about the mythTV gui. is it a window modified window manager (like kde) or something that is custom built, and how easy would it be to adapt it to use for gaming instead of watching movies?
17:57<kormoc>drwahl, it's a interface lib, not a window manager. It exists inside a window that is externally managed
17:58<MrGandalf>janneg: and the output is
17:58<MrGandalf>Now, I can't explain that
17:58<drwahl>kormoc: i am no programmer, but from what i understand, being that it is a library, it should be fairly simple to modify it for other uses, correct?
17:59<kormoc>Assuming the other uses make sense, sure
18:00<gbee>drwahl: in theory yes, you want to look at libmythui in the source (we are migrating from the old libmyth UI to the new, dedicated and improved libmythui)
18:00-!-Dibblah [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:01<kormoc>Well, really the point of a library is to not modify the library at all, but to use it in your app, that way many apps share the same base
18:01-!-Cardoe [n=cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:01<drwahl>i am looking for something with similar features to the nintendo wii menu, in that it is easy to navigate while sitting on a couch (i will have a keyboard/mouse/gamepad) but will allow me to see what all the games/videos that are available and launch them quickly and easily
18:02<kormoc>and using myth itself isn't a option?
18:02<justinh>sounds a lot like mythfrontend with mythvideo & mythgame installed
18:02<MrGandalf>unless there's two sigmons being used
18:02<gbee>not sure whether it's suitable for games, that depends what you want to achieve - it has basic animation capabilities etc which might work well with point & click games e.g. card games, memory games etc but not with arcade style stuff
18:02-!-Dibblah [] has joined #mythtv
18:02<drwahl>can mythfrontedn run without connecting to a backend?
18:03<gbee>drwahl: ahh, well in that case yes it's suitable for that sort of task
18:03<gbee>drwahl: yes
18:03<drwahl>and i will be running games such as WoW, Americas Army, Solitare, etc
18:03<kormoc>drwahl, you won't run those inside of myth, myth will launch them, which is what you'd want
18:04<gbee>drwahl: sorry, thought you were asking whether you could _create_ games with mythui, not create a menu/browser type system to launch them
18:07<drwahl>ok, i think i have a few new ideas. thanks for the info!
18:08-!-drwahl [] has left #mythtv ["thanks"]
18:08<MrGandalf>janneg: is a workaround
18:10-!-gandalfcome [] has joined #mythtv
18:15<janneg>MrGandalf: I fail to see how that could make a difference
18:16<MrGandalf>did you look at my debug statements and the result output?
18:17-!-gandalfcome_ [] has quit [Network is unreachable]
18:19-!-gandalfcome [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:20<janneg>ah, I see it now. it looks indeed as something resets rotorPosition to zero
18:21-!-gandalfcome [] has joined #mythtv
18:36<janneg>MrGandalf: can you define DEBUG_SIGNAL_MONITOR_VALUE as 1 and create log. your workaround can be applied
18:37<MrGandalf>yeah, sec.. I think it may also be effecting the rerune after rotor completion if the tune set voltage to 18 temporarily.. it doesn't seem to be getting set back
18:39-!-iamlindoro__ [n=rmcnamar@] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:42<MrGandalf>that's with my hack still in place
18:47<janneg>unfortunately nothing interesting in it. thanks
18:47<MrGandalf>suspected as much :)
18:52<gbee>CDRs might only cost ~10p each these days, but it still annoys me when I get two coasters in a row
18:57<janneg>MrGandalf: can you add .arg((ulong)this, 0, 16) to the debug statements in GetRotorStatus and update values
18:58<janneg>I fail to see where the value could be set to 0
19:00-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/session] has joined #mythtv
19:03-!-mattwire [] has quit ["Leaving"]
19:03<MrGandalf>janneg: they're the same on the first tune, different on the second
19:05<janneg>MrGandalf: thanks. that explains the error and I think I know where to look for a proper fix
19:05<MrGandalf><MrGandalf> unless there's two sigmons being used
19:09<MrGandalf>janneg: can you also include the patch shown here ->
19:11-!-JoeBorn [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
19:13-!-robthebob [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
19:17-!-czth [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-16dcb733ae2d3905] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
19:19<MrGandalf>hmm, guide is still real slow though
19:30<janneg>MrGandalf: use less simultaneous recordings per card
19:30<MrGandalf>janneg: I have it set to one right now
19:30<janneg>MrGandalf: can you try following patch:
19:30<MrGandalf>I haven't even touched that yet so as to keep thye db backwards compatible
19:31<janneg>without your workaround
19:31<janneg>there shouldn't be a performance difference then
19:31<MrGandalf>yes, I know :)
19:32<MrGandalf>janneg: there is because now Daniel checks each channel to see if that transport is in use
19:32<MrGandalf>which is good, don't get me wrong
19:35<janneg>that shouldn't a performance influence if you have only one recording per card
19:36<MrGandalf>janneg: remember how many channels I have and rethink that :)
19:37<MrGandalf>second tune worked
19:37<MrGandalf>third tune worked
19:37<MrGandalf>looks good
19:38<janneg>ok. many thanks. and I honestly do not know how many channels you have but I guess a lot
19:38<MrGandalf>having a rotor is great :)
19:39<MrGandalf>and thanks to you for the fix
19:39<janneg>that's insane. I have maybe then percent of that and use only 10 percent of my channels regularly
19:39<janneg>should be committed in a minute
19:40<MrGandalf>I often take things to an extreme.. that's why I had to many MythSocket timeouts last night.. I forgot to disable eitcache
19:41<MrGandalf>it was writing cache right before a channel change and that took several seconds
19:41<MrGandalf>if you need someone to test how well Myth scales, I'm your guy
19:46-!-MaverickTech [] has joined #mythtv
20:05<gnome42>nice fix janneg
20:13<gnome42>MrGandalf: With that many channels maybe this patch might speed things up a bit.
20:16-!-gandalfcome [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
20:17<MrGandalf>I'll give it a try, thanks
20:18<gnome42>I think it should be safe because in all those cases we only ever look at one result.
20:20<gnome42>I've had it in my tree for a little while :)
20:21-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
20:22<MrGandalf>compiling now
20:23-!-poli [n=ca@CAcert/Assurer/poli] has joined #mythtv
20:23-!-poli [n=ca@CAcert/Assurer/poli] has left #mythtv []
20:23<clever>i just delete channels i dont watch
20:23-!-xris [] has quit []
20:24<MrGandalf>that's no fun.. how can you impress guests without having a gazillion channels?
20:25<clever>livetv doesnt even work right now
20:25<clever>times out 100% of the time on my slave
20:30*gnome42 has to step out for a bit. MrGandalf, please leave a message if it's an improvement (or not :)
20:31<MrGandalf>I will
20:31-!-skd5aner [] has quit []
20:32<MrGandalf>yes, it does make it quite a bit faster
20:35-!-davilla_ [] has joined #mythtv
20:35<MrGandalf>think I need to rebuild myth from trunk though.. getting an odd crash
20:42-!-mzb [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
20:43-!-davilla [n=davilla@] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
20:57-!-mzb [] has joined #mythtv
21:07-!-davilla_ [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
21:10<gnome42>MrGandalf: good to hear
21:21-!-catinpan is now known as cattelan
21:30-!-JoeBorn [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:39-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
21:40-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit ["Konversation terminated!"]
21:40<xris>ok, maybe the bug is gone now. werd.
21:57*kormoc blink
21:58-!-awilkins [n=awilkins@pdpc/supporter/active/awilkins] has quit ["zzzzNNNNNNnnnnnnnnzZ"]
22:06-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
22:09-!-Syphn [] has quit []
22:25-!-jamesd [] has quit ["Leaving"]
22:25-!-jamesd [] has joined #mythtv
22:32-!-Tanthrix [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
22:33<xris>kormoc: sometimes colloquy decides to not show any text in the topmost channel... and I have no way to know if the channel is just quiet, or if it's freaking out again.
22:36<kormoc>xris, Sam has that issue a lot. He restarts and it works for awhile again and breaks
22:36<kormoc>xchat aqua!
22:36<xris>I just close the channel and re-join and it's fine
22:37-!-Tanthrix [] has joined #mythtv
22:42-!-davilla [] has joined #mythtv
22:57-!-matty- [] has joined #mythtv
23:21-!-confuzed_ [n=jfry@] has joined #mythtv
23:37-!-MaverickTech [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
23:39-!-purserj [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
23:39-!-cattelan_ [] has joined #mythtv
23:42-!-davilla [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
23:45-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #mythtv
23:45-!-jams [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
23:53-!-mmInd_ [] has joined #mythtv
23:54-!-davilla [] has joined #mythtv
---Logclosed Fri Jan 18 00:00:04 2008