Back to Home / #mythtv / 2008 / 02 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2008-02-04

---Logopened Mon Feb 04 00:00:12 2008
00:00-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
00:16-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
00:41-!-rooaus [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
01:20-!-gnome42 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
01:31<sphery>Chutt: Yeah. There's a known bug with the new preview-generation code that does previews in a separate process (to prevent crashing mythbackend in the event of an segfault in the libav* code). See #4350.
01:32<sphery>Chutt: Easiest workaround until the bug is fixed is to disable previews by commenting line ~500 of modules/tv/includes/objects/Program.php: $this->generate_preview_pixmap($width, $height, $secs_in);
01:33-!-nsaspook [] has quit ["using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.3.12"]
01:33-!-nsaspook [] has joined #mythtv
01:33<sphery>I haven't gotten a chance to look into it, but I have a theory that's based on something I saw while testing some unrelated stuff. I hope to look into it next week.
01:34-!-nsaspook [] has quit [Client Quit]
01:36-!-nsaspook [] has joined #mythtv
01:52-!-MavT [] has joined #mythtv
02:05-!-PointyPumper [i=Pintlezz@] has quit [Excess Flood]
02:05-!-PointyPumper [i=Pintlezz@] has joined #mythtv
02:09-!-MaverickTech [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
02:21-!-cattelan [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
02:30-!-loops [] has quit ["Leaving"]
02:32-!-loops [] has joined #mythtv
02:42-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has quit ["Konversation terminated!"]
02:44<kormoc>sphery, would that be why most of my previews are 0 byte files?
02:49<xris>kormoc: the bug, yes.
02:49<xris>and why the backend randomly eats up 100% of the cpu
02:55-!-fstxx [] has joined #mythtv
03:09-!-rooaus [] has joined #mythtv
03:11<kormoc>I was wondering bout that, but figured it was something on my end
03:13<kormoc>xris, do you care in the least about the non-popup status bar text for the listings page?
03:27<xris>the wstatus() function?
03:27<xris>no, you can kill it.
03:27<xris>doesn't work in ff by default, anyway.
03:28<xris>just make sure you clean it everywhere if you're going to remove it.
03:28<xris>or replace it with a title="" param
03:31-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-70f2f4b5b84e98d5] has joined #mythtv
03:41<justinh>any thoughts on where mythappearance should live in the menus when it's not a plugin any longer? is it ok where it is (in the utils menu) or would it be better next to the normal appearance settings option?
03:48-!-czth [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-e621f06ac906578d] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
03:59-!-siXy [i=siXy@] has joined #mythtv
04:01-!-xris [] has quit []
04:23-!-fstxx [] has quit [Connection timed out]
04:45<gbee>justinh: next to the appearance settings
04:45<gbee>morning stuarta
04:46-!-MaverickTech [] has joined #mythtv
04:46<stuarta>good weekend?
04:47<gbee>could have been better, but I'd take it over two weekdays ;)
04:48<stuarta>well said
04:48<gbee>so apparently IPv6 is finally coming online for real today - the start of the end of memorable IP addresses :(
04:49<stuarta>they've already changed a number of the root nameservers to ipv6
04:50<gbee>just going by what the BBC are saying this morning, I've not paid much attention to the migration before now
04:51<gbee>they are reporting that the first changes to the root servers are happening today -
04:51<justinh>morning btw
04:52<stuarta>might be today, for some reason i thought they were already doing it
04:52<justinh>gbee: funny you said that - that's where I put it
04:52<gbee>justinh: heh, well I didn't pay close attention to the commit email
04:57<justinh>time to pull the plugin methinks
05:00<justinh>hmm where's the commit email?
05:02<justinh>stupid inbox sorting. missed it
05:04-!-MavT [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
05:13-!-splat1 is now known as splAt1
05:15<gbee>Chutt, sphery: actually the 100% utilisation bug is something new in the http server, no idea when it was broken but I've ruled out the preview generator - as for mythweb requesting a new preview pixmap every time, that's a bug with mythweb AFAICT
05:21-!-nordenm_ [] has joined #mythtv
05:25-!-nordenm [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
05:31-!-onixian [] has joined #mythtv
05:43-!-nordenm_ [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
06:12-!-xian__ [] has joined #mythtv
06:25-!-onixian [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
06:45-!-fstxx [] has joined #mythtv
06:51-!-BleedAway [] has joined #mythtv
07:00-!-MrGandalf [] has quit ["work"]
07:11-!-TelnetManta [] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
07:18-!-sc00p [] has joined #mythtv
07:21<justinh>right then. font definitions of the global type.. where's the best place to start?
07:25<justinh>I'll try to come up with some sensible/logical names
07:26<justinh>maybe just have a few sizes & call them something like genpurpose12pt
07:27<gbee>I dunno, I'd go with small, medium, large (maybe extra small/extra large) rather than naming it according to the actual point size
07:27-!-blinx [n=blinx@unixboard/user/blinx] has joined #mythtv
07:28<gbee>then themes can define small, medium etc for themselves
07:28<justinh>gbee: point taken. I'll get onto it later & start adding them around
07:29-!-blinx [n=blinx@unixboard/user/blinx] has left #mythtv []
07:29<justinh>then at last we can do away with font definitions in ui xml files :)
07:30<justinh>when's this feature freeze been pencilled in as again?
07:32-!-xian__ [] has quit ["Leaving"]
07:33<gbee>no official date was ever set, just general goalposts - I guess Daniel etc will let us know when they've got the features they want into trunk
07:34<justinh>ok, so carry on as usual until I hear otherwise. be silly to hold off on minor things that'll help out all round
07:43-!-splAt1 is now known as splat1
07:49-!-rooaus [] has left #mythtv []
07:49-!-rooaus [] has joined #mythtv
07:52-!-hereitcomes [] has joined #mythtv
07:54<hereitcomes>hey guys, hopefully an easy question if someone would be kind enough to answer, i've added a server socket to my plugin, which is ran mainly from the "init" method, so you dont have to open the menu to get the functionality. The only problem is the port isnt unbound when closing the frontend, can anyone tell me where/how to do that properly?
07:55<hereitcomes>gbee, if youre here thanks for the help about undefined symbol, it worked a treat!
07:55<justinh>more plugins? wth?
07:56<hereitcomes>its for my uni dissertation heh
07:56<justinh>anything nice?
07:56<hereitcomes>an OSGi platform for remotely scheduling recordings on mythtv using different devices (focusing on digital pen and paper)
07:57<justinh>interesting :)
07:57-!-TelnetManta [n=benwilli@] has joined #mythtv
07:58<gbee>hereitcomes: tried mythplugin_destroy() ?
07:58<hereitcomes>yeah it's going quite well, at the minute i just pass a :: seperated string to my socket from a java client and it records what i ask :)
07:58<hereitcomes>ah i didnt know that existed, is that automatically fired when you exit the frontend?
07:59<hereitcomes>gbee: read above.. sorry
08:01<gbee>should be, plugin structure isn't my area of expertise - but looking at libs/libmyth/mythpluginapi.h and libs/libmyth/mythplugin.cpp/.h might help
08:01<hereitcomes>thanks, youre a star. what is your area of expertise?
08:02<gbee>assuming I have one :) I guess the UI code right now
08:02*justinh just wants to be able to code when he grows up
08:02<hereitcomes>is it being rewritten?
08:02<hereitcomes>haha justinh I feel exactly the same
08:05<gbee>hereitcomes: we're transitioning to a new UI library
08:06<gbee>one written from scratch specifically for mythtv (the old UI code built up over the yes, with many different authors, styles and objectives so it's a mess)
08:08<hereitcomes>gbee: sounds like a big job.. are you going for a more up to date, media center-style ui? its gettin harder to convince people to use mythtv when they see media center and how user friendly it is
08:08<justinh>who sits there trying to convince anybody to use mythtv?
08:09<hereitcomes>me! my dad's all about his media center, and i have to try to convince him to use mythtv so when i come to the pc it's not been rebooted to linux lol
08:09<hereitcomes>windows i mean
08:10<justinh>so MCE is 'prettier' in some people's (misguided) opinion. there's a hell of a lot wrong with it under the surface
08:11<hereitcomes>i wouldnt know much about that, but from the perspective of someone just using it for watching tv and scheduling some recordings, it hasnt gone wrong yet
08:11<hereitcomes>the guide data sometimes leaves a lot to be desired
08:12<stuarta>justinh: don't forget you can configure small/medium/large font sizes in the config editor
08:12<justinh>stuarta: for qt fonts
08:12<stuarta>it implies it's for the theme fonts
08:13<gbee>hereitcomes: the new ui code allows for a more flashy UI, but it isn't our objective to compete with MCE (they have hundreds of dedicated full time developers, we've got maybe 20 part timers)
08:13<justinh>duh you mean to include the alternate size definitions. already intend to
08:13<hereitcomes>anybody: given that I can use the ProgramInfo static methods to find a show by date and time, is there another such useful class that im missing to schedule recordings based on just times, say I just want to record from 1:30pm to 6:15pm regardless of what's on
08:13<gbee>if people want to pay a couple of hundred dollars or more for MCE - that's their money to waste ;)
08:13<stuarta>justinh: ah cool
08:14<hereitcomes>gbee: I understand that, mythtv is amazingly powerful
08:15<gbee>besides, even with the limitations of the existing UI code - you can still achieve some impressive themes (usability is another issue which we are aware of, but need more time than we have to work on)
08:16<justinh>getting every user & his dog to use mythtv isn't one of the project's goals AFAIK. it's nice people use it IMHO, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over 'losing' a user to anything else
08:17<gbee>I'm told, though I don't like to blow my own horn, that people like the polished finished of metallurgy even without the pointless eye candy animations of MCE
08:17<justinh>I prefer my themes without pointless animations too
08:17<hereitcomes>cool, i'll check it out, i've never tried a new theme. How do I add my custom plugin to a new theme menu?
08:17<justinh>and yes, that's all MCE's are. pointless
08:18<justinh>hereitcomes: look at mythappear.. oops
08:18<justinh>you can still look at it.. just an old rev ;)
08:18<hereitcomes>if i get my remote recording to work nicely, I'll be using mythtv for a long time
08:18<hereitcomes>remote recording is gonna be big if it is done right
08:19<gbee>mythtv is a community effort, if someone would rather pay for MCE than make a contribution to mythtv we can't stop them and wouldn't even try
08:19<justinh>how may I get on my knees & beg for you to stay, today?
08:19<hereitcomes>you misunderstand, I'm a mythtv user lol
08:19<hereitcomes>and i always will be
08:19<gbee>hereitcomes: well ignoring the remote recording ability of mythweb, I'd agree adding additional ways to remotely schedule a recording could be cool
08:20<hereitcomes>i was just saying what my dad thinks. he's 52
08:20<justinh>I work with a windows fanboy. he hates mce with a passion
08:21<justinh>if it's not losing all its channels it's recording multiple instances of shows it's already got & missing new showings
08:21<hereitcomes>yeah, for my dissertation, my argument against mythweb for remote recording is that mythweb requires additional installation, and the need to use the internet to perform the recordings
08:21<hereitcomes>its geared towards novice users
08:21<justinh>it doesn't need the internet - just a compatible browser
08:21<hereitcomes>it needs the internet if youre not at home
08:22<justinh>how are you gonna do remote scheduling away from home without the internet?
08:22-!-rooau1 [] has joined #mythtv
08:22<hereitcomes>i mean physically sitting in front of a computer connected to the internet
08:23<hereitcomes>the digital pen and paper approach has a custom designed page with boxes to tick, and those ticks are sent via bluetooth to your phone and then over GPRS to the pc, where it's picked up by the OSGi bundles
08:24<hereitcomes>all automatically
08:32*justinh is firmly 1.0, non-mobile-web enabled :)
08:36*stuarta needs to do some ticket work
08:38<justinh>hahaha. thunderbird was right. the email about recording sports _is_ junk
08:38-!-rooau1 [] has quit ["Leaving."]
08:38<justinh>#4578 can be closed methinks
08:39-!-hereitcomes [] has quit []
08:41-!-BleedAway [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
08:43<stuarta>i'll have a look tonight
08:43<justinh>feature request sans patch
08:46-!-BleedAway [] has joined #mythtv
08:46-!-BleedAway [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
08:48-!-BleedAway [] has joined #mythtv
08:50-!-BleedAway [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
09:07-!-onixian [] has joined #mythtv
09:11<gbee>justinh: have you seen #4579?
09:11<gbee>and #4580
09:12<gbee>need to change the includess in mythappearance to drop the mythtv/libmythui bits
09:12<janneg>justinh: iirc the dreambox is compatible to the dbox2 recorder. but I might mistake it for the reelbox
09:14-!-splat1 is now known as splAt1
09:22<okolsi>gbee: I apparently run into similar problem than you in #4173
09:22<okolsi>gbee: funny thing is that I managed to shrink and gzip the DVD ISO into ~4M e-mail attachment
09:23<okolsi>gbee: it would be much easier if would have that shared FTP site or what ever ;)
09:23<gbee>okolsi: cool, I wasn't sure how to go about reducing the DVD to a reasonable size but keep the bits skamithi needed, then I just forgot about it
09:24-!-xian__ [] has joined #mythtv
09:24<okolsi>gbee: my problem was in menu.. and I used DVD Shrink (win) to get rid of most of the stuff
09:25<okolsi>well, now have to figure out a way to get some recording samples to Paul.. regarding mytharchive resolution detection problem...
09:33-!-onixian [] has quit [No route to host]
09:35<justinh>gbee: oops!
09:35-!-cattelan [] has joined #mythtv
09:38<justinh>ah sh... forgot to include the ticket #s
09:52<gbee>justinh: missed the close angle brackets :/
09:52<gbee>#include "mythscreentype.h"
09:53<gbee>instead of #include mythscreentype.h>
09:53<justinh>ffs justinh less panic.
09:58<justinh>arghh I've either had too much coffee or not enough
10:01<justinh>so if it's #include "mythstreentype.h" it doesn't need the <libmythui/mythscreentype.h> ?
10:02<justinh>already too much a stressful day without this on top
10:03-!-jgarvey [] has joined #mythtv
10:05<gbee>justinh: yeah
10:07<gbee>#include "mythscreentype.h" uses the copy of mythscreentype in the local source, <mythtv/libmythui/mythscreentype.h> uses the copy installed on the system - only used for plugins in this case since you may not have access to a copy of the mythtv source when building the plugins from source (different package etc)
10:09<justinh>ahhhh. thanks. saved me an anneurism :) had it piled up on me all day today like I'm a CAD robot
10:09-!-renatofilho^_ [n=renato@] has joined #mythtv
10:11<justinh>just to save aggro & me embarassment:
10:13<justinh>builds here ok
10:14<gbee>looks fine
10:15<justinh>cool. cheers. learned a lot the last few days
10:15<justinh>hope I remember it so I don't cause the same bother in future :)
10:18-!-JoeBorn [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
10:36-!-gnome42 [] has joined #mythtv
10:38-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
10:44-!-jmk_ [n=jmk@] has joined #mythtv
10:45-!-reynaldo [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
10:57-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
10:59-!-skamithi [] has joined #mythtv
11:04<okolsi>justinh: mythappearance is still in mythplugins configure
11:14<skamithi>hi otto. sent u an email regarding the chopped dvd u sent me. i am on the right track regarding what i should see ?
11:15<okolsi>skamithi: yes, you're right, there is still frame and 4 buttons
11:16<okolsi>skamithi: as you mentioned, the highlight doesn't work yet but otherwise it is fine now
11:16-!-JoeBorn [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
11:16<skamithi>okay cool. i'm working on the solution for the buttons not displaying. i see what the problem is and there is ticket opened for this already (4410)..btw is the dog in the menu yours ?
11:17<okolsi>skamithi: no no :) but my dog's sister "performs" in the DVD.. but it is different breed than one in menu
11:18<okolsi>we have one of these: (off topic, I know..)
11:20<okolsi>skamithi: highlighting works if you return from watching the DVD to main menu using OSD menu
11:24<gbee>skamithi: I noticed a highlighting problem the other day, when I first went into the DVD chapter menu of Gladiator the highlight wasn't visible, it appeared when I moved to the next page
11:25<gbee>it's as though something isn't getting initialised correctly the first time
11:25<skamithi>i see what the issue is..not sure how to fix it yet. ffmpeg is not finding all the subtitle streams for the dvd menu
11:25<skamithi>during the initial try
11:26<skamithi>at least for otto's dvd
11:35-!-xian__ [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
11:36-!-onixian [] has joined #mythtv
11:44<djc_>Ok, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'll ask it anyway. Is there any timeline for 0.21?
11:45-!-splAt1 is now known as splat1
11:46-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/] has joined #mythtv
11:51-!-BleedAway [] has joined #mythtv
11:53-!-onixian [] has quit ["Leaving"]
11:59<Chutt>djc_, end of the month
11:59-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-70f2f4b5b84e98d5] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
12:04<okolsi>can anyone confirm with the new Ajax MythWeb program list.. that if you select another day from the drop-down, it always goes to 00:00 time for that day
12:05<okolsi>when it should keep the time that currently is in time drop-down
12:10<gbee>okolsi: I'll install it in a bit and let you know
12:11<gnome42>okolsi: confirmed, it does start at 00:00 for me too
12:12<okolsi>there are some other issues also.. if I click "right" several times and go through current day and to next day, then the mouse-over popups goes off-sync
12:12<okolsi>gnome42: thanks
12:12-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/] has quit [" ajax IRC Client"]
12:12<okolsi>some program in channel 1 shows popup info for a program in channel 2 (at some very different time) etc
12:13<gbee>skamithi: is there a way to get the length or number of frames in a DVD chapter? I want to seek to the last frame of the DVD menu (past any menu video stuff)
12:14-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/] has joined #mythtv
12:15-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/] has quit [Client Quit]
12:15<gbee>okolsi: sounds like it needs either a flag which blocks further requests until the results of the first are in, or better a unique id for each request so that the result can be matched to the correct request
12:15<okolsi>actually.. already the first click to "right" (to next screen) gets the popups off sync
12:15<gnome42>okolsi: I see that as well.
12:15<gbee>kormoc: you might be interested in this
12:17<okolsi>other than these, the main thing is very nice and fast etc :)
12:19<gnome42>yeah, it's nice :)
12:21-!-czth [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-63d302cb8a591718] has joined #mythtv
12:21<okolsi>kormoc: Firefox error console shows "_59 is not a function" for prototype.js when listing page is loaded (if this is somehow related)
12:22-!-siXy [i=siXy@] has quit ["bye!"]
12:22-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
12:26<skamithi>gbee: seeking through a dvd menu is disabled cause it causes all sorts of problems. title/chapter length for the dvd menu and regular title is available via dvdnav calls if you need it.
12:27<gbee>skamithi: ok, thanks
12:27-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/] has joined #mythtv
12:27<GreyFoxx>skamithi: What about the ability to skip those annoying FBI warnings and such? I know I use to hit MENU, and pick DVD Root Menu to go directly to the actual menu but that no longer works so I have to watch those warnings now :)
12:28<justinh>okolsi: damn. one of these days... thanks for letting me know
12:28<justinh>think I'll just write off today as 'one of _those_ days'. had better
12:29-!-xris [] has left #mythtv []
12:29-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
12:29-!-xris [] has left #mythtv []
12:31<skamithi>greefox: just hit skip forward. if the dvd allows you it'll skip to the next title
12:31<justinh>okolsi: forgot about too I think
12:31<skamithi>i hate those fbi warnings too :)
12:32<GreyFoxx>skamithi: In some of the minivids before the menu it lets me, but the FBI warning and such don't.
12:32<GreyFoxx>Isn;t the honouring of the "don't skip forward" flag something we can control ?:)
12:34<skamithi>greyfoxx: mythtv doesn't honor that...but if the dvd author doesn't allow it then you are screwed. i got some dvds where i try and skip forward and it fails. i check the dvd in pgcedit and the skip title call is blank :)
12:34<skamithi>for that section
12:35<justinh>doh. and forgot the other menu themes
12:39<kormoc>okolsi, Whoops, the mouseover out of sync is a valid issue allright. Are you at the latest checkout? I know I fixed the dropdowns shortly after commiting the changes. the _59 is not a function isn't a problem, it's something that happens all the time with mythweb for some reason
12:40<kormoc>okolsi, ahh, I see the issue with the time too, I'll fix that up tonight
12:42<justinh>hmm it was never added to the DVR theme?
12:42-!-mattwire [i=d43ae981@gateway/web/ajax/] has quit [" ajax IRC Client"]
12:43-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
12:48-!-splat1 is now known as splAt1
12:50<Cardoe>kormoc: you breakin the interweb again?
12:50<kormoc>Cardoe, always!
12:59-!-xri1 [] has joined #mythtv
12:59-!-xris [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
13:08-!-onixian [] has joined #mythtv
13:12-!-unagi [] has joined #mythtv
13:13<unagi>does mythtv know how to run the hp digital/analogue expresscard tv tuner?
13:13<okolsi>kormoc: yes, with latest checkout. good that you can also see those couple of things
13:16<okolsi>hmm.. bumped into this: should be able to share up to 100M video stuff..
13:16<okolsi>for sharing debugging material..
13:17-!-onixian [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
13:20-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
13:23-!-xri1 is now known as xris
13:47<justinh>right. nothing more I've broken, I hope....
13:47<justinh>be glad to see the back of that
13:49<justinh>ooo joy! disk boot failure on my development box
13:50<justinh>can this day possibly get any worse?!
13:51*justinh crosses all the mondays off the 2008 calendar
13:59-!-mattwire [] has joined #mythtv
13:59-!-mattwire_ [] has joined #mythtv
14:00-!-mattwire_ [] has quit [Client Quit]
14:01<gbee>skamithi: just playing around with DVDs and managed to get into a state where after jumping to the DVD menu the log fills with - "QImage::setPixel: x=773822 out of range"
14:01<gbee>where x increases by 1 with each iteration
14:02<gbee>looks related to the dvd menu rendering, possibly the highlight?
14:05<gbee>yeah, the section in DisplayDVDButton() where we iterate through the button height/width filling the pixels on the highlight - probably due to the lack of sanity checking on the values of h and w
14:08-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-4f03b1e72e47d228] has joined #mythtv
14:11<gbee>debugging it now
14:12<skamithi>adding a patch to initialize the respective variables from dvdringbuffer.cpp..maybe related.
14:13-!-splAt1 is now known as splat1
14:16-!-dekarl [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
14:18-!-dekarl [] has joined #mythtv
14:23<gbee>w=250 x1=311 bitmapWidth=8h=35 y1=311 bitmapHeight=7
14:24-!-czth [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-63d302cb8a591718] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
14:27<gbee>after which w and h end up as negative values
14:28<justinh>yay the dev box is back in action. loose hdd power connector
14:28<stuarta>maybe i should check that on my wanna be production box
14:31-!-splat1 is now known as splAt1
14:35<skamithi>gbee: thx for debugging this. i'll look into it. u got lots of dvds that fail this way or just the one ?
14:35<gbee>skamithi: just the one so far
14:35<gbee>but I'll check others
14:35-!-Chutt [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
14:36-!-Chutt [] has joined #mythtv
14:36<gbee>happens when I use the OSD menu to jump to the Root Menu, then do a JUMPFFWD
14:38<xris>CDev: ping
14:38<Chutt>xris, hey
14:38<Chutt>have you seen anything weird with preview generation in mythweb?
14:38<Chutt>i basically can't go to the recorded programs screen anymore.
14:39<xris>you mean aside from the complete broken stuff that gbee has been trying to fix for the last month?
14:39<Chutt>it tells the backend to regenerate _everything_
14:39<Chutt>and that doesn't work =)
14:39<Chutt>(well, it does, it just takes a very long time)
14:39<xris>that's something else, then
14:39-!-CyberAngel [n=cybrangl@] has joined #MythTV
14:39<gbee>yeah, seems there is a problem with the caching in mythweb
14:40<xris>that should only happen if the dates are off on your machines, or something like that
14:40<Chutt>it's one box
14:40<Chutt>(with a remote fileserver)
14:40<xris>weird. mythweb just checks the timestamp on the local image vs what the backend says is the "last touched" for the recording
14:40<gbee>if you look at some of the existing descriptions of the bugs, then quite a few people talk about it trying to download them all (which it clearly shouldn't do because they should be cached)
14:41<Chutt>it puts my backend into a 100% cpu loop for ever :p
14:41*justinh hands CyberAngel a /join ;)
14:41<xris>Chutt: that's the bug I know of
14:41<Chutt>there seems to be some problem with the upnp stuff as well
14:41<Chutt>(for generating the pixmaps)
14:41<xris>the 100% cpu thing is something else.. not mythweb, but related to pixmaps
14:41<Chutt>mythweb's the only thing that triggers it :p
14:41<gbee>Chutt: yeah, http server can't handle the volume of simultaneous requests - even just a dozen is enough to cripple the backend
14:42<xris>Chutt: at the moment. it's actually the upnp stuff, if I understand gbee correctly
14:42<xris>gbee: but it should eventually finish whatever it's working on, no?
14:42<gbee>xris: http server/upnp server yeah - it's not the preview generation itself
14:42<Chutt>why isn't mythweb just requesting the existing pixmaps?
14:42<gbee>Chutt: it does
14:42<Chutt>it seems to be asking for: .100x0x124.png
14:42-!-renatofilho^_ [n=renato@] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
14:43<Chutt>instead of <filename>.png
14:43<Chutt>that's generated at record time
14:43<Chutt>don't webbrowsers scale for you? :p
14:43<gbee>Chutt: ah, well yeah it asks for a different size instead of scaling the image in php after it's been fetched
14:43<xris>Chutt: scale down, but not up very well
14:44<gbee>but all we do is resize the existing image and send that, we don't generate a completely new image
14:44<xris>easier to scale in the backend rather than have the user need to install imagemagick on the webserver
14:44<Chutt>that seems rather silly
14:44<xris>Chutt: what if I want a 640x480 pixmap?
14:44<xris>need a bigger pixmap for the recording details page with the flash player
14:44<Chutt>xris, gbee just said it's just scaling the existing image.
14:44<xris>I didn't know that, though
14:45<xris>anyway, still easier than adding imagemagick dependency to mythweb
14:45<Chutt>same result either way =)
14:45<Chutt>not if it causes the recorded programs page to become unuseable
14:45<Chutt>and break in-progress recordings
14:45<gbee>I changed it to do that to reduce the load on the backend, before that mythweb triggered the preview generator for each image
14:45<xris>gbee: it shouldn't kill the server with load like that, though
14:46<xris>things worked perfectly before that vid branch merge, or whatever it was
14:46<Chutt>so, that needs fixed before release
14:46<xris>which is why the tickets are marked as blockers
14:46<Chutt>the settings ui for playback needs rewritten so it doesn't suck ass
14:46<Chutt>it'd be nice to have the multichannel audio patch in
14:47<Chutt>anything else?
14:47<stuarta>i can't think of any need to have's
14:47<stuarta>evening btw :)
14:48<gbee>xris: the problem was more likely caused by a change to the upnp code somewhere, it's definately in the server code but I'm just not familiar enough with that to know what the cause might be - I've not done a comparison of the code with what we had 6 months ago though, Nigel made a lot of changes in that period
14:48<xris>mythweb needs its weather module fixed... I think there's a better patch for it now.
14:48<xris>kormoc has been doing some other mythweb cleanup, but we're pretty much safe for release
14:48<xris>oh, and I'
14:48<xris>I'd like to get upnp stuff working in the perl code, but it's not necessary
14:49<gbee>I wanted the the apiconfig stuff in for 0.21, if I get the time I might still push that through since the benefit to users for first time setups is pretty big
14:51<janneg>I would like to get multithreaded playback and proper pts for h264 in
14:51<xris>that'd be nice. then I could play my nuvexport exports in mythvideo
14:52<xris>though I haven't tried that in awhile. I think my last problem was mp4 container, not h.264
14:52<stuarta>is it worth putting an email out to the -dev list saying this is what we want to fix before release?
14:52<stuarta>possibly encouraging help?
14:53<janneg>the changes in pts calculation for h264 might be to evasive to do them before the release
14:53<xris>just out of curiosity, anyone know how hard it would be to set the internal player to use a built-in video file index (for mythvideo avi/etc) if it exists?
14:54<Chutt>it used to
14:54<gbee>we should use a build in index already? Though maybe I've got that wrong
14:54<Chutt>i don't know if it still does..
14:55-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
14:55<gbee>we only have problems with formats that don't have an index built in e.g. mpg
14:55<kormoc>seems silly if it didn't
14:55<gbee>in those cases you can still build a seektable though
14:56<Cardoe>stuarta: I'd be curious in seeing a list like that.
14:56<stuarta>well it's just a summary of what was just said
14:56<Cardoe>right but a nice checklist format ;)
14:57<kormoc>Could just use trac's milestone feature to do it?
14:57<stuarta>we should do that anyway
14:57<stuarta>i get the feeling that if people knew that the following things need fixing before the release, then maybe they would help out a bit
14:58<stuarta>wading through trac tickets isn't the easiest for those who might wish to help out.
14:58<Cardoe>kormoc: that'd be a good idea
14:58<kormoc>fair 'nuff
14:58<stuarta>anyway, that's just my random though for the day
14:59<Cardoe>I'd be game for helping out in those areas
14:59<gbee>knowledge_junkie offered to help out with the apiconfig stuff in the past, I wish I'd accepted now but I didn't know that I'd get distracted by mythui and my job
15:01<Cardoe>gbee: I know the feeling... pesky jobs get in the way of open source stuff I wanna work on too
15:01<Cardoe>and the woman giving my projects around the house too.
15:05-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit []
15:05<sphery>heh... #4583 is interesting (and well timed, considering the just-discussed MythWeb regenerating every preview issue)
15:06<xris>at least it's another piece of information to add
15:07<sphery>mine is en_US.iso88591 and I'm definitely getting the issue...
15:08<Chutt>stuarta, blocker for the settings ui
15:09<Chutt>i'm not releasing something like that =)
15:09<stuarta>i'll agree it's a bit nasty
15:09<xris>afk for lunch
15:10-!-xris [] has quit []
15:13<gbee>I'm using en_GB and see the issue, though it does seem to be related to the session somehow - if I go into mythweb now I'll see the problem, but refresh the page and it will use the cached versions
15:14<stuarta>anyone got anything else for the release list?
15:19<gbee>fixing up mythweather so it's a little more usable
15:20<gbee>not a major job, just need a free afternoon one weekend
15:20<Chutt>oh yeah
15:20<Chutt>mythweather's setup is completely arcane as well
15:20<stuarta>sucks badly (sorry gbee)
15:20<Chutt>stick that on the blocker list =)
15:21<gbee>stuarta: hey, I didn't write it :) I agree totally
15:21<Anduin>It isn't gbee's fault
15:21<Chutt>it's not
15:21<Chutt>it's the soc student's fault =)(
15:22<stuarta>ahh, the PFY
15:22<Anduin>and all of us that just stopped using it :)
15:22<CDev>xris: Still looking for me? (I'm remoted into my desktop thru my cell phone so I may take a little while to respond)
15:22<gbee>skamithi: dvdnav_get_highlight_area() returns DVDNAV_STATUS_ERR but we don't check the the return value so we miss it and use the duff values
15:22<stuarta>CDev: he's gone to lunch
15:23<gbee>I'm not sure what we should really be doing by way of a proper fix, but for now we might be OK by just returning early from DVDButtonUpdate() before trying to draw the highlights
15:26<gbee>we would also need to check that we have a valid highlight area in DisplayDVDButton()
15:31<gbee>ack, sorry seems there are two calls to dvdnav_get_highlight_area and I was seeing the error from the first, the second, triggered by the DVDNAV_HIGHLIGHT DVDEvent seems fine
15:37-!-jmk_ [n=jmk@] has quit ["Leaving"]
15:38<stuarta>hmmm, should i add resolving circular build dependencies to the list?
15:40-!-unagi [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
15:42<jams>gbee- did that compat.h error with mythpainter get resolved?
15:43<gbee>jams: yes it did
15:43<jams>hmm ok, ran into it yesterday while compiling the plugins.
15:44-!-Dougi [] has joined #mythtv
15:44-!-unagi_ [] has joined #mythtv
15:45<gbee>jams: current trunk/plugins?
15:45<sphery>gbee: we won't have notifications/alerts in the UI before 0.21, right? Just wondering as I have some code that can detect corrupted tables and am wondering if I should just log the info or if there's a better way to tell the user.
15:45<gbee>you may need to install mythtv first to make sure the headers are where we expect them to be and a make distclean can't hurt
15:46<gbee>sphery: won't be before 0.21
15:46<jams>did all that, but will doublecheck.
15:47<gbee>looks like I'm making slow progress with this dvd highlight bug
15:47<sphery>OK. Thanks. I'll just log it for now. Eventually, it will auto-repair, but I need a lot more support code to prevent any frontend/backend from using the table, first.
15:48<gbee>jams: ok, double check that there are no local modifications to either of the mythui plugins (well mythcontrols as mythappearance isn't in trunk anymore) and if not, then pastebin the build log
15:49-!-Dougi [] has left #mythtv []
15:50<jams>mythcontrols built it was mythgame and a couple others that failed. But anyway I will clear things out and try again.
15:53<justinh>gbee: playing with MCE at the mo while i look at a machine for my wife's friend. oh dear God
15:53<justinh>nasty doesn't even begin to describe it
15:53<justinh>I've seen slower UI responses but not on a c2d 2.6 ghz with 2GB RAM
15:54-!-fstxx [] has quit [Connection timed out]
15:54<gbee>jams: odd, bug should only affect mythui plugins because of mythpainter.h being pulled in
15:54<justinh>and the UI graphics are er.. shall I say highly antialiased. I mean blurry
15:55-!-greend139 [n=greend13@] has joined #mythtv
15:55<gbee>yeah, but it's all swishy and stuff!
15:56<justinh>looks like I've had half a bottle of JD
15:56*stuarta nicks the other half
15:56*gbee waits for the "Oh look, I've only half a bottle left!"
15:58<gbee>ahh fooey, I've fixed this bug but don't know how
15:58*gbee wades through the diffs
16:01-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
16:03<CDev>xris: still looking for me?
16:05<xris>CDev: was wondering if there was a way to query the xml process description stuff directly if I know the ip/port.
16:05<xris>basically the same info that's returned by a scan
16:05<xris>still trying to think of ways to speed this stuf fup
16:06<CDev>Sure. All the information & methods are get http get requests.
16:06<CDev>you only need the discovery part to obtain the ip address.
16:07<xris>cool. you going to be around tonight?
16:09-!-jmk_ [n=jmk@] has joined #mythtv
16:09<CDev>Very busy, but I will make sure to check the scroll back and try to answer any questions you have.
16:09<xris>ok, cool
16:10<xris>for now a link to the source file that lists all of the get methods would be good, but I'll just lose it by the time I get home
16:11<gbee>mythxml.cpp in programs/mythbackend/ might have some of what you are after
16:13<CDev>The contrib\MythXMLTest html pages exercise most available functions.
16:13<sphery>xris: Also (more for you to lose):
16:13-!-CyberAngel [n=cybrangl@] has quit []
16:13-!-greend139 [n=greend13@] has left #mythtv []
16:13<CDev>explains the parameters as well. (Everytime I added a method, I would update the pages. not sure if others did the same)
16:15<xris>sphery: that actually helps.. I need ssdp and description xml data to create the perl upnp object
16:16<xris>couldn't remember "ssdp"
16:17<sphery>Only part I remember is that CDev did a really informative commit message way back when... :) I don't know enough about UPnP to understand it, but it seems to have a lot of good description.
16:17<gbee>CDev: I'm guilty of not doing that, I did start but I never finished or committed my changes
16:19<unagi_>j #mythtv-users
16:19<CDev>gbee: I was using it as a test harness & documentation. It was just an easy way to test all the methods and give some insight into how to use them.
16:19<CDev>Should create a wiki page one day.
16:21<sphery>Wiki pages are "for users, by users"... I'd prefer you did more great UPnP code. ;)
16:22<stuarta>and bored developers
16:23<gbee>skamithi: didn't get to the bottom of the problem, but I found this simple patch which sanity checks the values works well for me -
16:23<gbee>the highlights still get drawn
16:24<gbee>and it no longer gets stuck iterating the bad values
16:25-!-jhulst [n=jhulst@unaffiliated/jhulst] has joined #mythtv
16:25<CDev>FWIW: I've been keeping my "hands off" of the .21 changes since I can't commit time right now to support any changes I may make. When I do find the spare moment, I've been woirking on a re-write of the upnp stack using Qt4.
16:25<xris>qt4 changes are good..
16:26-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
16:26<CDev>Learned a lot writing it the first time, now to make it better (more scalable & DLNA compliant)
16:26<gbee>we should have deleted mythweather in 0.20.2
16:26<skamithi>gbee: thx gbee for the patch
16:27<CDev>xris: my cell phone keeps dropping the data connection. I will check back later to see if you have any questions.
16:30<skamithi>gbee: i'll take a closer look at how to prevent displaydvdbutton from running til all the dvd menu button data is gathered.
16:31<gbee>skamithi: cool
16:31<skamithi>gbee: for now i'll just commit ur patch
16:31<stuarta>any objection to closing 4582 as feature request without patch?
16:31<gbee>stuarta: ROFL
16:32<gbee>think kormoc might object ;)
16:32<stuarta>missed that he submitted it
16:32<kormoc>Heh, just to track that I'm working on it :P
16:32*justinh feels unclean now. never gonna try that again. ugh
16:34<stuarta>i think i was distracted by it being listed as an enhancement...
16:35*stuarta goes looking for his brain
16:51<kormoc>heh, no worries
16:57-!-trisooma [n=remko@] has joined #mythtv
16:57-!-npurciful [n=npurcifu@] has joined #mythtv
17:01-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
17:02-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #mythtv
17:02-!-al-_-Gir [] has joined #mythtv
17:02-!-danielk22 [] has joined #mythtv
17:08-!-foxhunt [] has joined #mythtv
17:16<trisooma>xris: u on?
17:17-!-unagi_ [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
17:21-!-trisooma [n=remko@] has quit ["Enuff for today"]
17:24-!-foxhunt [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
17:24-!-catinpan is now known as catinpan_away
17:25-!-catinpan_away is now known as catinpan
17:27-!-npurciful [n=npurcifu@] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
17:31-!-TelnetManta [n=benwilli@] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
17:39-!-beavis [] has quit ["Verlassend"]
17:41-!-al-_-Gir [] has quit []
17:44-!-xris [] has quit []
17:51-!-jgarvey [] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:01<skamithi>gbee: regarding the dvd button display issue. i like ur first idea of checking if the highlight_area function returns true/false. see if this patch resolves the issue instead of the one you posted.
18:02-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:02-!-mzb_d800 [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
18:02-!-mzb [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:03<gbee>skamithi: that was my first patch and it didn't help, we seemed to be checking it twice - the first time it fails, but the second time it suceeds but still returns bad values
18:03-!-mzb_d800 [] has joined #mythtv
18:03-!-mzb [] has joined #mythtv
18:06<justinh>right. reckon I'm all done for today. font bases tomorrow :)
18:08<justinh>hope tomorrow brings better everything :) nn all
18:09<skamithi>gbee: ah gotcha
18:10-!-adac2 [] has joined #mythtv
18:14-!-skamithi [] has quit ["WeeChat 0.2.3"]
18:16-!-adac2 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
18:18-!-jmk_ [n=jmk@] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:21-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
18:33-!-Chutt [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
18:33-!-Chutt [] has joined #mythtv
18:35-!-mattwire [] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:37-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
18:41<xris>so looks like it's official, I'll be giving some sort of presentation at linuxfest northwest in april..
18:41<xris>assuming they can find me a cable connection
18:41<xris>so looks like it's official, I'll be giving some sort of presentation at linuxfest northwest in april..
18:41<xris>assuming they can find me a cable connection
18:48-!-JoeBorn [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
18:50<kormoc>xris, practicing giving back to back presentations? :P
18:50<xris>oh, did both show up? my net connection was down when I sent it the first time.
18:51<kormoc>Aye, both came though
18:52<xris>restarted the network on my firewall but forgot to restart shorewall. heh
19:02-!-CDev [] has quit ["."]
19:14-!-jamesd [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
19:19-!-TelnetManta [] has joined #mythtv
19:20-!-CDev [] has joined #mythtv
19:27-!-jamesd [] has joined #mythtv
19:38-!-enhanced [n=jj@unaffiliated/enhancer] has joined #mythtv
19:38<enhanced>recommendations for a good linux dvd ripping and transcoding software?
19:39<hads>and a channel to ask in?
19:40<enhanced>I asked in here once and forgot
19:40<enhanced>but just remembered
19:40<enhanced>thx for the help.. not hads
19:40-!-enhanced [n=jj@unaffiliated/enhancer] has left #mythtv ["blech"]
20:29-!-moodboom [] has joined #mythtv
20:30-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
20:35-!-Chase [] has joined #mythtv
20:36<Chase>I've got a patch for muting (actually muting) alsa channels when the volume is 0 (which occurs also when one presses the mythtv mute button)
20:36<Chase>for me (nforce 3 board) putting volume to 0 but not muting does not mute all output sound
20:37<Chase>where can I submit the patch for it?
20:38<sphery>Chase: Please don't... See
20:38<sphery>Chase: Add it to that ticket if your patch differs or if the one on #2788 is wrong.
20:40<Chase>what would be the holdup on that patch?
20:41<Chase>I don't want to sound naive or anything, but it's been a year since the patch was uploaded
20:41<sphery>And the devs have been busy during that year. :)
20:41<sphery>just wait 'til 0.21 comes out.
20:41<Chase>it will probably be noticed before 0.21 comes out?
20:42<Chase>since it hasn't been applied yet
20:42<kormoc>Chase, myth is mainly driven by what annoys or interests the devs most. This must be something that hasn't really done ether, and thus has been overlooked a bit. Given Daniel has just taken ownership of the ticket, it might be fixed sooner then later.
20:44<sphery>I don't know that it will be applied, but the bug database lists it to remind devs. Cosmetic issues that have far more subtle consequences than at first apparent are not usually high priority. There are a lot of changes going in to allow Myth to use 5.1-channel sound, meaning all 2-channel assumptions (including the one in the attached patch) are invalid. When using multi-channel in ALSA, there are many card-specific issues (i.e. ...
20:44<sphery>... I can mute my Master and still hear everything except L/R).
20:45<sphery>But, like kormoc says, Daniel, the guy working on reviewing the multi-channel patches, may fix is as part of the other changes.
20:45<Chase>just wanted to be sure there was some mechanism that devs will find it again
20:45<Chase>and it won't get lost
20:46<sphery>Right. That's what Trac does--helps track bugs/patches. :) Thanks for looking at the issue and for getting involved, though.
20:48-!-kormoc_ [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
20:53<danielk22>I'm aware of the ALSA mute issue. It bugs me too, just not enough for me to have done anything about it yet. But now that I'm looking at the multi audio stuff anyway I'm in a better position to review the submitted patch on #2788.
20:54<sphery>danielk22: Yeah. I guess Chase just happened to ask at exactly the right time (one of the few times you're actually in here to see the reminder :).
21:03-!-sigger_ [] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
21:11-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:27-!-kormoc_ is now known as kormoc
21:32-!-HReadren [] has joined #mythtv
21:32<HReadren>danielk, you there?
21:33<HReadren>I sent an e-mail about CX700M2 Via board using official Via drivers not working. Did you see it any chance?
21:33<danielk22>When did you send it?
21:34<HReadren>to -dev a day or 2 ago.
21:34<danielk22>ok, see it.. what is the problem?
21:35<HReadren>Well, when using the official Via drivers I get the error "XvMC requested but not supported"
21:35-!-MavT [] has joined #mythtv
21:36<HReadren>I think it's a call to XvMCQueryExtension that must be failing. Not sure if that works for any official Via drivers?
21:36<danielk22>AFAIK XvMC as such is not supported by any of the VIA drivers, only XvMC-VLD, which doesn't actually do motion compensation or IDC acceleration as such.
21:36<danielk22>Most of our VLD support was written by OpenChome developers, I don
21:37<danielk22>t think anyone has made an effort to support the official drivers.
21:37<HReadren>Unfortunately Openchrome doesn't support MPEG acceleration for CX700M2.
21:37<danielk22>They were completely unusable last I checked.
21:38<danielk22>If you can come up with a patch which doesn't break other things by the end of the month I'
21:38<HReadren>Believe me, I don't *want* to use them, but it turns this device from paperweight back to usable..
21:38<danielk22>ll apply it....
21:38<HReadren>Unfortunately video coding isn't much my thing, but I'll check around a few things.
21:39<HReadren>MPlayer works great with these drivers, but myth just stutters away at HDTV res.
21:39<Chutt>danielk22, have you looked at the vaapi stuff at all?
21:39<danielk22>If the drivers work it shouldn't be very difficult... Just figure out where it is getting stuck.
21:40<danielk22>chutt: not really, I last looked at it about 6 months ago, and there really wasn't anything there yet.
21:40<HReadren>Looks like the first thing that is failing is the call to XvMCQueryExtension and then it bails entirely.
21:41<HReadren>I'll have to look at the Mplayer code a little and do some compare/contrast maybe.
21:41<danielk22>hrendren: try ifdefing that code & looking at what mplayer does
21:47-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
21:48<reynaldo>Hi all ;)
21:53-!-Pure [n=pure@] has joined #mythTV
21:54-!-MaverickTech [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:54<Pure>hi , I was wondering what a good alternative is for splitting MPEG2 transport stream files into video and audio streams then back to standard mpeg-2 ?
21:54<Pure>on windows i always used projectX for it and it worked well
21:56<kormoc>Pure, might have better luck in the -users channel, but both ffmpeg and mencoder can do it
21:56<HReadren>danielk - you know who submitted the openchrome code?
21:57<danielk22>not off the top of my head, but you can search the commits history...
21:57<Chutt>i wrote the original stuff
21:58<Chutt>but it's changed since
21:58<reynaldo>Is there anything special one should do to remoteedit fields to get them to 'show'?
21:58<Pure>kormoc : thankyou :)
21:59<danielk22>note, i didn't write a single line of VLD code. :)
22:00<HReadren>okay. somehow, I don't think this is going to be simple... Apparently there's now a petition to Via to get them to open up more, maybe support openchrome better, etc. I know I've bought my last fscking Via board...
22:03-!-Pure [n=pure@] has left #mythTV ["Leaving"]
22:11<reynaldo>he, got it
22:11<xris>CDev: GetServDesc seems to be broken
22:15<CDev>xris: what have you tried for the url?
22:17<xris>though the link doesn't work from the xmltest stuff, either
22:18<CDev>which service are you trying to get a description of?
22:19<xris>the backend
22:19<xris>though at this point, anything
22:19<xris>couldn't find a way to get the ssdp info through the xml service... since it's not an xml thing
22:20-!-dlblog [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
22:20<CDev>the device description is at this url:
22:20-!-dlblog [] has joined #mythtv
22:21<xris>ah, cool
22:21<xris>any way to get it to spit out the ssdp info?
22:22<CDev>looking it up now.
22:23<CDev>The problem is that the Myth specific service is setup as a sub-device which XBMC couldn't handle so it filters it out of the device desc based on agent string.
22:23<reynaldo>humm, should a remoteedit normally accept numerical input ?
22:23<CDev>Actually, looking at the most recent code, it looks like the sub-device description has been commented out.
22:24<reynaldo>i got it to display but while editing everything seems to get fskd up if i input numbers with the kbd
22:26<CDev>xris: yep, looks like it's broken.
22:26<reynaldo>btw, having to call 'createEdit' on the edit was super counter intuitive, why is it necesary?
22:27<reynaldo>maybe I'm just doing something wrong, didn't had to do such a thing with the other GUI elements I'm using, thats why I find it odd
22:27<CDev>it's looking for the MXML_scpd.xml file. Not sure what path it's using... looks like a leftover from Nigel's removal of m_sSharePath.
22:27<xris>CDev: yeah. not entirely sure why I want this stuff.. I guess to look up the db information. but then again, having the db info means I can pull the master backend info from there
22:28<CDev>set the setting "UPnP/DescXmlPath" to the proper location of the xml files and it should work again.
22:28<CDev>someone should fix the code before the release. Not sure what Nigel did to fix the other services... would have to research it.
22:29<CDev>you know you can call the methods without using the service description (unless you want the request/response parsed by some upnp library)
22:30<xris>it's more about trying to understand how this perl library works... and in order to create a device object, I need both the ssd and the description
22:30<reynaldo>jams: you around ?
22:31<MrGandalf>blah.. g'night all
22:32<CDev>xris: one more thing to check if you're moving forward with this. I don't know if the other developers have been keeping the service description XML files up to date with the addition of new methods (or changes to existing ones).
22:33<xris>CDev: so my original hope with this was to be able to take that uuid and use it to find a machine I can talk to to get the db info
22:33<HReadren>danielk, looks like the vld code is heavily dependent on XvMC capabilities, while via's code and "personal versions" of mplayer don't use it at all. Argh. Argh. Argh. back to paperweight status. Maybe a nice low-power file-server.
22:33<xris>I suppose it's not really that important now that config.xml caches the db fields..
22:34<CDev>xris: would have been nice to have it done the right way... but then again, a working solution is better than no solution.
22:37-!-reynaldo [] has quit ["leaving"]
22:38-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
22:42<xris>I think I'll play with this auto-detect code, but only use it if the info isn't already coded into the config.xml file
22:51-!-insta [] has joined #mythtv
22:51-!-insta [] has left #mythtv []
22:55-!-jamesd [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
23:01<xris>CDev: so I should ignore any scanned hosts that report back port 6547?
23:01<xris>my backend returns 4 connections..
23:01-!-HReadren [] has quit ["Leaving"]
23:02<CDev>What are you seeing as the 4 connections?
23:03<xris>you want the pure data dump?
23:03<xris>most look pretty identical
23:03<xris>as far as services reported go, etc
23:03<CDev>The spec calls for a service to repeat itself.
23:03<CDev>so it sends out 2 batches of 2 notifications per service it's advertising.
23:04<xris>one is port 6547 and the other is 6544
23:04<CDev>what you posted is not the repeated messages.
23:05<CDev>The MediaRenderer is advertising 6547 which is MythFrontend.
23:05<xris>ah, ok
23:06<CDev>The safest bet would be to search for urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1 specifically
23:07<CDev>Depending how the library is setup, it may be giving you back all devices/services that it has detected on the network. Not ness. the one you searched for.
23:07<xris>not urn:schemas-mythtv-org:service:MythTv:1 ?
23:08<CDev>Looking at the code, I'm not too sure it will answer. I added MythTv:1 a long time ago just for what you are doing... let me test it on my end.
23:09<CDev>I stand corrected. It does answer that urn still.
23:10<CDev>FYI: it sent 5 identical responses with my 1 request.
23:11<xris>ok, I'll just filter those out, then
23:21-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit []
23:21<xris>I really wonder why this timeout takes so long. it's annoying. heh
23:28-!-jmk [] has quit ["Leaving"]
23:45<xris>anyone know where config.xml or an equivalent would live if there is no homedir?
23:46<xris>I guess it wouldn't
23:54-!-PointyPumper [i=Pintlezz@] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
23:55-!-PointyPumper [i=Pintlezz@] has joined #mythtv
23:57-!-Netsplit <-> quits: Agrajag-, carvajal, danielk22, jhulst, jams, djc_, Hoochster, timofonic, Chase, briand, (+7 more, use /NETSPLIT to show all of them)
23:59-!-Netsplit <-> quits: eharris, Captain_Murdoch
---Logclosed Tue Feb 05 00:00:48 2008