Back to Home / #mythtv / 2008 / 03 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2008-03-10

---Logopened Mon Mar 10 00:00:16 2008
00:03-!-sentinel23 [] has quit ["ChatZilla 0.9.81 [Firefox]"]
00:09-!-ToadP [] has quit []
00:27-!-mzb [] has joined #mythtv
00:29-!-ahbritto_ [] has quit [Client Quit]
00:51<clever>xris: you there?
00:51<clever>ive been having some mild problems with the upcoming recordings list
00:52<clever>it was taking way too long to reload after hitting dontrecord
00:52<clever>so i modified that button to be ajax based
00:52-!-Doc [] has joined #mythtv
00:53<clever>it isnt perfect(only hides that 1 show from the list) but it is working
00:54<xris>clever: the problem with that is that when you change recording info, you need to refresh the page because the backend needs to rerun the scheduler query.
00:54<xris>on a complex system, the scheduler query can take 30-40 seconds.
00:54<xris>which I don't even account for.
00:54<clever>the problem is that im often wanting to cancle 30 recordings in a row
00:55<clever>before i need to see how it affects the whole scheduling layout
00:55<clever>and with the patch im able to cancle(and they disapear localy) without having to wait 30 seconds between each
00:56<xris>I just middle-click them. :)
00:56<clever>i was doing that at first
00:56<clever>but then im left with 30 tags to close
00:56<clever>and crapload of cpu to process the 3mb html pages
00:56<clever>x30 to its 90mb of html to render
00:56<xris>I think to do this properly, we'd need a way to ask the backend about the last time that the scheduler query ran...
00:57<clever>the ajax req cuts it down to a 15 byte reply
00:57<clever>the best method i can think of is to find ONLY the changes to the schedule
00:57<xris>then could ajax the changes and only reload the page when the refresh is newer than the last ajax request
00:57<clever>and then pass those thru ajax to update the client
00:57<clever>also half the problem
00:57<clever>the description is loading for all programs
00:58<clever>which inflates the page size a good deal
00:58<xris>yeah, kormoc didn't get a chance to axaxify that page before .21
00:58<clever>the tv listings has fixed that by loading them thru ajax
00:58<clever>and i used that code as an example
00:59<xris>yeah. a lot of those pages just need to be re-thought to take advantage of both ajax and better page layouts.
00:59<clever>you could probly use it in a limited case such as ONLY conflicts being shown
00:59-!-ahbritto [] has joined #mythtv
00:59<clever>if your only showing conflicts nothing will realy change much when you dontrecord 1 entry
01:00<clever>except for that 1 entry disapearing
01:00-!-ToadP [] has joined #mythtv
01:00<clever>with a small change to the patch if can do that only for that 1 case
01:00-!-ToadP [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
01:00<xris>it's easy/fast enough to replace the contents of the table via DOM, though.. can look at the speed that the list page changes when you click next/previous chunk, or switch days.
01:00<xris>that refreshes without a page reload now.
01:00<clever>but now that i think of it
01:00<clever>if you cancle a conflict in any mode
01:00<clever>nothing else would change
01:01<clever>and the code only changes the conflict button
01:01<clever>and adds one to the 'willrecord' status which is simple to remove
01:02<xris>let me check tomorrow/later to see if one of the backend devs can add a "last scheduler update" query command.. I think with that, dynamic re-rendering of that page (which should also help with hide/show of types), and ajax descriptions, we should be able to speed things up pretty significantly
01:02<xris>I'm still supposed to be cleaning the house at the moment.
01:02<clever>if you fetched the entire table thru ajax
01:02<clever>you could cache the large non changing bits of data localy too
01:02<xris>wife has this crazy notion that the house should be clean when people come over for my birthday party next week
01:02<clever>so even a full reload of the list would be faster
01:03<xris>like I said, look at the refresh speed of the main list pages.
01:03<clever>channel listings?
01:03<xris> /tv/list/
01:04<clever>took 15 seconds for the page to load the 1st time
01:04<clever>never noticed the button to move thru time is also ajax now
01:04<xris>takes about 1.5 seconds for me for the ajax part
01:05<clever>about 7 seconds to shift over im time
01:05<clever>about half the time
01:05<clever>but my mythweb/mysql are sharing a 400mhz cpu
01:05<xris>yeah, that'd be bad
01:05<clever>yet the 400mhz P2 with phpmyadmin is blazing fast compared to the 1.6ghz P4
01:05<xris>I'm about 7.5 seconds to render the page, and 1.5 seconds (900ms for ajax) to switch times
01:06<clever>both with the apache/php/mysql 'local'
01:06<xris>but my mythbox is a q6600
01:06<clever>id have to load firebug to get the exact page load times
01:06<clever>but ajax is damn powerfull
01:06<clever>ive been testing it for a few things on a forum im on
01:07<clever>you can post ANY html in the forum
01:07<clever>it was relatively trivial to make js which automaticaly messaged me when you view a post
01:07<clever>or to automaticaly post spam when you view the spam
01:07<xris>ajax not so much.. ajaj is the wave of the future. (async javascript + json)
01:08<clever>im not even using json for the dontrecord patch
01:08<clever>the php just echo's out the id for a tr when its done
01:08<xris>yeah, sometimes you don't need much at all
01:08<clever>and it just document.getElementById(responce.responceText).hide's it
01:08<clever>crude but effective
01:09<clever>firebug's js debuger helped me figure out what the responce arg to the ajax callback was
01:09<clever>which saved me from going crazy trying to read prototype.js
01:10<clever>7.93 sec to load the tv listing
01:10<clever>6.9 to load the next page
01:10<clever>4.9 for another
01:10<xris>hmm, the "star" character in my mythweb is wrong
01:11<clever>doesnt seem to cache any
01:11<clever>going back to where i was still took 4.8 sec
01:11<xris>oh, no, it works. ff just isn't displaying it properly
01:11<clever>1205125851.200 6338 TCP_MISS/200 148976 POST http://media/mythweb/tv/list - DIRECT/ text/html
01:11<clever>1205125878.839 6187 TCP_MISS/200 144378 POST http://media/mythweb/tv/list - DIRECT/ text/html
01:12<clever>both missed the squid cache
01:12<xris>yeah, no cache.. it was just a quick hack to speed up page refreshes
01:12<clever>if you include the entire query in the $_GET
01:12<clever>you could enable caching headers
01:12<xris>shouldn't be missed.. should avoid. php says no-cache by default
01:13<clever>you could have a timestamp on every entry in the program table as to when mythfilldb touched it last
01:13<clever>select max(timestamp) from program where starttime < x and starttime > y;
01:13<clever>now you basicaly have a last-mod stamp for the page
01:13<clever>which could let if-modified-since: querys to work right
01:14-!-Doc [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
01:14<clever>if you basicaly stamp ALL data that affects the generated page you should be able to make a last-mod stamp and improve caching
01:15<xris>but I don't trust ff to not just eat memory.
01:15<clever>it eats it no mater what you do:P
01:20-!-Viaken [] has joined #mythtv
01:20<Viaken>Is it possible to set it to playback with the cubic interpolation deinterlacer? It's not one of the menu options... for the custom filters, would I put "-vf pp=ci" or just "pp=ci" or....?
01:21-!-Viaken [] has left #mythtv ["ptwang!"]
01:36-!-ipso [] has joined #mythtv
01:38-!-MaverickTech [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
02:11-!-Deek [] has quit ["Codito ergo sum"]
02:28-!-ahbritto [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
02:30-!-jsumners [] has joined #mythtv
02:31-!-jsumners [] has left #mythtv []
02:32-!-gnome42 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
03:05-!-xris [] has quit []
03:46-!-loops [] has quit ["Leaving"]
04:09-!-loops [] has joined #mythtv
04:20-!-Deek [] has joined #mythtv
04:55-!-onixian [n=xian@] has joined #mythtv
04:56-!-robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
05:15-!-onixian [n=xian@] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
05:21-!-robthebob [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
05:34-!-purserj [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
05:36-!-MGisbers [n=mgisbers@] has joined #mythtv
05:38-!-BleedAway [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
05:42-!-DaveMorris [] has joined #mythtv
05:58-!-dagar [] has quit [Connection timed out]
06:02-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
06:22-!-johnp_ [] has joined #mythtv
06:27-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
06:27-!-mzb_d800 [] has joined #mythtv
06:49-!-DaveMorris [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
06:57-!-foxhunt [] has joined #mythtv
07:00-!-dagar [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
07:00-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
07:01-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
07:06-!-MrGandalf [] has quit ["work"]
07:17-!-TelnetManta [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
07:23-!-foxhunt [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
07:33-!-Dibblah [] has left #mythtv ["Kopete 0.12.4 :"]
07:43-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
07:44-!-fstxx [] has joined #mythtv
07:48-!-Deek [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
07:59-!-mattwire [] has joined #mythtv
08:12-!-nomats [] has left #mythtv []
08:15-!-loops [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
08:19-!-johnp_ [] has quit ["Leaving."]
08:21-!-mattwire_ [] has joined #mythtv
08:21-!-mattwire [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
08:30-!-TelnetManta [n=benwilli@] has joined #mythtv
09:21-!-fuhgawz [] has joined #mythtv
09:24-!-cattelan is now known as cattelan_away
09:28-!-fstxx_ [] has joined #mythtv
09:31-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
09:38-!-fstxx [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
09:38-!-moodboom [] has joined #mythtv
09:51-!-onixian [] has joined #mythtv
09:57-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
10:00<gbee>heh, reading a review of a new HP Tablet, of course it runs Windows and the reviewer praises the addition of a dedicated Ctrl-Alt-Del button ;)
10:00-!-fuhgawz [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
10:01-!-fuhgawz [] has joined #mythtv
10:03-!-beexwax [] has joined #mythtv
10:12<MrGandalf>so, the three finger solute becomes a one finger solute.. how fitting.
10:17-!-Dibblah [] has joined #mythtv
10:19<GreyFoxx>yeah... it was suppose to be an unlikely accidental button combination
10:21-!-fuhgawz [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
10:23<MrGandalf>then why did they used it for login as well? So people wouldn't accidently login?
10:24<GreyFoxx>People had to use it so often with windows I figure they just wanted to make it even more common ;)
10:24<janneg>windows 2k, maybe earlier in win nt
10:24<MrGandalf>that makes sense
10:24<GreyFoxx>dagar: are they built from fixes or the release tarbals
10:24<janneg>oh, I read "when ...
10:25<MrGandalf>janneg: WinNT 3.5 I think was the first.
10:29-!-gnome42 [] has joined #mythtv
10:29-!-onixian [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
10:51<mattwire_>ctrl-alt-del was a "security feature" for login - apps couldn't trap that key combination so you knew if you pressed it you were talking to the os and not some mean program that was going to steal your login details
10:51<danielk22>It was used for log-in because it was a key combination that no application relied on nor could any application bind to it, so a user privileged program could not pretend to be the login screen and capture passwords. The program would need Administrator access to bind ctrl-alt-del
10:52<mattwire_>i'm still having issues with spdif on dvd's with trunk
10:52<mattwire_>were there any other fixes apart from the 500ms
10:52<mattwire_>which haven't made it across from fixes yet?
10:52<danielk22>no, that was it for fixes
10:53<mattwire_>i mean 16461
10:53<mattwire_>that's a shame
10:54<mattwire_>cos i'm still getting spdif dropping in and out (mostly out)
10:54<mattwire_>it's fine on tv (2ch)
10:54-!-onixian [n=xian@] has joined #mythtv
10:54-!-jgarvey [] has joined #mythtv
10:55<danielk22>AC3/DTS are 2 channel to as far as MythTV is concerned..
10:59<gbee>did that fix get merged to trunk?
11:00<gbee>sorry, you already said that :)
11:02-!-BigJ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:03<mattwire_>none of my dvd's seem to play back properly over spdif
11:03<mattwire_>whether they are 2ch or 6ch
11:04<mattwire_>any idea what would be different between tv and dvd when it's a 2ch sound track
11:06<mattwire_>Ah, the difference is that dvd is using ac3 passthru
11:07<mattwire_>if i disable that I get unbroken 2ch sound
11:07<mattwire_>over spdif
11:07<mattwire_>so looks like ac3 passthru is broken for me
11:07-!-onixian [n=xian@] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:10-!-beexwax [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:10-!-fuhgawz [] has joined #mythtv
11:13<sphery>mattwire_: Did you set max channels to 2?
11:19-!-gbee [] has quit ["Gone"]
11:21-!-gbee [] has joined #mythtv
11:24<janneg>Chutt: expect a little more wiki traffic, big german it news site linked the release notes
11:25<sphery>A little... It's been basically unusable for quite some time, now. :)
11:26-!-splAt1 is now known as splat1
11:26*sphery wonders if #4909 and are the issue that gbee warned users would report as a bug
11:27<gbee>yeah, but I'll take the high ground and won't say that I told you so ;)
11:27<sphery>I was trying to say it for you. :)
11:28<janneg>maybe start live tv should choose a random cardid
11:28<gbee>I know :p
11:29<gbee>janneg: doesn't need to be random, just shouldn't pick the card which is in use if it can be avoided
11:29<sphery>janneg: When you factor in what LastFreeCard is supposed to do, it's hard to decide which is the right behavior.
11:29<gbee>I'm probably making it easier than it sounds, but then again?
11:31<sphery>gbee: Your solution fits the letter of the description of LastFreeCard. Some may complain, then, though, that they have conflicts while watching LiveTV. I don't care either way, though, since I don't do LiveTV. :)
11:32<sphery>Though it's probably easier to teach users to exit LiveTV on conflict and "join" an already-being-recorded mux
11:33<gbee>browsing across tuners would probably make this a non-issue
11:33<gbee>iirc there is a patch in trac for that
11:34<janneg>gbee: it was a joke, but using a random card is easier than fixing it properly
11:35<gbee>fair enough :)
11:37<gbee>looks like you were right to warn about traffic, wiki is crawling
11:37<Chutt>load on the box is < 1
11:37<Chutt>not swapping (anymore)
11:38<Chutt>i think bandwidth is just being maxed out
11:48-!-xris [] has quit []
11:50-!-fuhgawz [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
11:50-!-fuhgawz [] has joined #mythtv
11:59<Chutt>i upped the MaxClients value in apache, seems to be a bit more responsive
12:00<gbee>could someone with wiki admin/sysop privs delete and ? Thanks
12:00<Chutt>what's your wiki username?
12:01<Chutt>try now
12:01<gbee>cool, thanks
12:04<gbee>just clearing up old information that is no longer relevant since the release of 0.21
12:08-!-MGisbers [n=mgisbers@] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
12:14-!-danielk22 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
12:22-!-danielk22 [] has joined #mythtv
12:27-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
12:38-!-xris [] has quit []
12:39-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
12:41-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
12:42-!-danielk22 [] has quit ["Leaving."]
12:47-!-fuhgawz [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
12:47-!-fuhgawz [] has joined #mythtv
12:50-!-MGisbers [] has joined #mythtv
13:08-!-briand [] has quit [Connection timed out]
13:08-!-briand [] has joined #mythtv
13:09-!-dekar1 [] has joined #mythtv
13:09-!-dagar [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:10-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
13:12-!-dagar [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:14-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
13:14-!-dekarl [] has quit [Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)]
13:15-!-dekar1 is now known as dekarl
13:16-!-adante_ [] has joined #mythtv
13:17-!-dagar [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:18<janneg>bah, I hate merging branches with svn
13:18-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
13:18*janneg is updating the qt4 branch
13:19<mattwire_>wouldn't it be worth merging fixes to trunk before merging to other branches?
13:23<xris>janneg: yeah, mass-merging is a pain.
13:23-!-ToadP [] has joined #mythtv
13:23<janneg>doesn't matter. a small merge is not a problem
13:24<janneg>grrr, svn merge is failing over the contrib/mythmail rename and adding contrib/mythmail dir
13:25<xris>moves/copies don't merge
13:26<xris>it moves/copies the file from trunk into the branch, rather than from the branch to itself
13:27-!-briand [] has quit [Connection timed out]
13:28<janneg>that's notr the problem. it can't create the dir if there is a file of the same name
13:31<kormoc>I had to do that in two steps
13:31<kormoc>rename the file in one commit, then make the dir and move it
13:32<kormoc>janneg, sorry for the pain
13:32-!-adante [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
13:33-!-adante_ is now known as adante
13:33-!-briand [] has joined #mythtv
13:33<janneg>argh, and I even have to commit first
13:34<janneg>kormoc: I don't blame you but subversion
13:34<janneg>I would like to switch to git
13:37<Cardoe>everyone and git...
13:38<Cardoe>but what I wanted to say is 0.21 has been unleashed upon Gentoo users
13:38<kormoc>I really like subversion overall, just certain small edge cases are handled badly
13:39<Cardoe>except mythtv-0.21_p16483
13:39<kormoc>Is that new enough for the dvd fix?
13:40<Cardoe>16483 is the dvd fix on release-0-21-fixes
13:41<Cardoe>and 16468 is the 0.21 tag revision
13:42-!-phatmonke [n=ben@] has joined #mythtv
13:48-!-Cyberai [i=b@gateway/tor/x-27b81725fbc7f044] has joined #mythtv
13:49-!-Cyberai [i=b@gateway/tor/x-27b81725fbc7f044] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
13:54<janneg>I really dislike subversion for making grep -r cumbersomely. branches and merges aren't thought through and make them unuseble except for for easy situations
13:57<kormoc>Fair 'nuff
13:58<kormoc>I just have this in my bash profile, export GREP_OPTIONS='--exclude-dir=\*.svn\* '
13:59<kormoc>and then grep works as I want
13:59<kormoc>but it does require grep v 2.5.3 or newer
14:03<laga>Captain_Murdoch: i just read that storage groups can spread out i/o load over multiple disks. does this also apply to transcoding?
14:06-!-danielk22 [] has joined #mythtv
14:10-!-briand [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
14:10<gbee>laga: if the files being transcoded are on different disks. Or do you mean something else?
14:10-!-briand [] has joined #mythtv
14:11<laga>gbee: a file is on disk A and gets transcoded, the transcoded file ends up on disk B
14:12<gbee>I don't think that is currently the case, but I could be wrong
14:16<janneg>laga: that's not implemented yet but planned
14:22-!-fstxx_ [] has quit ["ChatZilla 0.9.81 [Firefox]"]
14:23-!-loops [] has joined #mythtv
14:23<gbee>xris: is #4548 still relevant?
14:29<xris>haven't tested.
14:30<xris>set it as needinfo and assign to me? maybe I can find some time to test it tonight
14:32<kormoc>I'm surprised there's been no mythweb bugs filed.
14:32<xris>for .21?
14:34<xris>someone in -users just commented about the video artwork only working with a single artwork directory
14:34<kormoc>known issue actually
14:35-!-NightMonkey [n=NightMon@pdpc/supporter/sustaining/NightMonkey] has joined #mythtv
14:35<kormoc>but given that's a manually done setup, I didn't consider it important enough to code for
14:38-!-TelnetManta [n=benwilli@] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
14:39<xris>kormoc: Frosty-: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /var/www/mythweb/classes/Database.php on line 106
14:40<xris>PHP 5.2.5-3 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Feb 21 2008 02:03:40)
14:44-!-mattwire_ [] has quit ["Leaving"]
14:48<Chutt>yay, website's running better
14:49<Chutt>xris, need new website so i can switch and use the thread worker
14:49<Chutt>need fewer apache's running :p
14:50<xris>need time, and program descriptions from people. :)
14:50<Chutt>oh, and more ram in the box would be keen
14:50<Chutt>i forget what you said it'd cost?
14:50<gbee>Mythweather - Shows rain, wind and stuff.
14:50<Chutt>(if you remember)
14:51<xris>I don't.. but it would depend on how much we wanted to add.
14:51<Chutt>going to either 4 or 6 would be fine
14:52<Chutt>i'll just pay for it, assuming it's not terribly expensive
14:52<Chutt>even though my stock options aren't worth as much these days =)
14:52<gnome42>gbee: A hack for selecting a free'er livetv card
14:53<gnome42>only reverse not random :))
14:53<gnome42>I only have one card so I can't avoid that particular problem
14:54<gnome42>or I always have it depending on how you look at it :)
14:54<Chutt>isn't there already a setting to do that?
14:54<Chutt>(use the tuner list in reverse)
14:55<janneg>gnome42: it won't help if you always do reverse
14:55<gbee>actually, though it seems like a hack I would have though it already worked that way
14:55<gbee>yeah, need to do it only when in LiveTV
14:55<janneg>Chutt: "avoid conflicts between recordings and livetv" is there
14:55<Chutt>janneg, yeah
14:55<Chutt>that's what that setting does
14:55<Chutt>uses the tuner list backwards for live-tv
14:57<gnome42>I thought the "avoid conflicts between recordings and livetv" doesn't help in this situation. That's why people are complaining
14:57<janneg>to solve the issue we need an additional state restricted for "free" encoders and sort the list accordingly
14:57<janneg>gnome42: your patch won't help either
14:58<gbee>gnome42: no, I just tested, it does help but multirec changes the behaviour of existing systems where that setting was no previously required
14:59<janneg>it helps in the recording + livetv case but it won't help in the 2 livetv session case
15:00<gnome42>gbee: yeah, true.
15:01-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit []
15:02-!-loops [] has quit ["Leaving"]
15:02<gbee>it's ok as a short term fix, I still think the option to browse across inputs/tuners would be the best possible long term fix if combined with a method to select the best card in the first place
15:03<xris>Chutt: have kormoc look up the part number when he gets back.
15:04<gnome42>gbee: yeah, that was just a hack. Not real fix.
15:05<xris>Chutt: I still think we should sell t-shirts to cover server costs like that. :)
15:07<sphery>or take donations...
15:07<sphery>perhaps through SD
15:10<Chutt>i can cover it
15:11<sphery>gbee: re: comment in #4685 , perhaps [16483] should be merged from -fixes now that we've suggested he try DVD in trunk (or 0.21-fixes). :)
15:12-!-robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
15:12<xris>Chutt: I'm guessing somewhere in the $200-300 price range for 2x2G, though
15:12<Chutt>mere pennies!
15:13<xris>then you make too much money. heh
15:13<Chutt>no need to collect money for it :p
15:14<gbee>sphery: I was waiting for Chutt to do the merge, but I suppose I could just have easily done it myself
15:15<Chutt>i'll do one more merge tonight
15:16<sphery>May have been done for you: ;)
15:16<xris>we have 6 RAM slots avaiable
15:16<xris>PC3200/DDR400 Registered ECC - Interleaved
15:16<xris>getting a price check on 2x2G
15:20<xris>looks like we can't/shouldn't mix module sizes, so it's either adding a bunch of 1G sticks ($108 from simech), or 2G sticks (waiting on price)
15:20<xris>$260 each for the 2G modules
15:21<Chutt>the price on 1GB is double newegg
15:22<Chutt>well, not quite double, but..
15:22<CDev>I just picked up 4 sticks of ECC FB-DIMMS (PC2-5300) for $213.
15:23<CDev>1g each that is... I'll stay out of it now.
15:24<laga>is down?
15:25<laga>true. silly ISP.
15:26<Chutt>i had just restarted apache for the main website
15:26<Chutt>you might've hit that
15:27<gbee>Newegg is cheaper than buying from Crucial direct, which is odd, used to be much cheaper
15:33-!-fuhgawz [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
15:34-!-fuhgawz [] has joined #mythtv
15:38-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has joined #mythtv
15:42<laga>Anduin: it seems that contains tabs, right?
15:43<gbee>are we officially no longer supporting the PVR-350 output?
15:43<Chutt>if it breaks, we won't be fixing it without external patches, is all
15:44<hads>laga: All the Python stuff uses tabs I believe.
15:45*laga reconfigures vim
15:45-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
15:46<gbee>Chutt: ok, I'm wondering what to do with PVr-350 tickets, close them if they don't have a patch or just leave them until someone comes along with fixes?
15:47<Chutt>mark em all as 'infoneeded', i'd say
15:55-!-rn114 [] has joined #mythtv
15:55-!-robthebob [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
15:56<kormoc>laga, python requires tabs I thought
15:57<hads>Na, just requires consistant indents.
15:57<janneg>no, you can indent by tabs and spaces as long as the indent wide is consistant
15:58<kormoc>fair 'nuff
15:58<janneg>I think the style doc at recommends 4 spaces for indenting
15:59<hads>I believe it just says use tabs or spaces not both.
15:59<hads>"Never mix tabs and spaces. The most popular way of indenting Python is with spaces only. The second-most popular way is with tabs only."
15:59<Anduin>laga: Yes
16:00<Anduin>laga: If you have vim support modeline, it should pick it up from that file.
16:01-!-mzb [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
16:02<xris>Chutt: server-grade RAM is often 80-100% more expensive than consumer.
16:03<Chutt>xris, that was registered ecc ram
16:03<Chutt>from the server section of newegg :p
16:03<kormoc>Corsair has a nice mail in rebate lately
16:04<kormoc>xris, ram prices have dropped like rocks lately
16:04<xris>kormoc: gotcha. guess simech hasn't dropped the prices recently
16:04<xris>well, and ATP memory has always been a bit pricy
16:10<xris>Chutt: well, now you know. Should be fine as long as you don't mix module sizes.. apparently causes issues with supermicro boards.
16:11<Chutt>so if i just grabbed a few of the 1GB crucial modules, that'd be fine
16:11<Chutt>like, 4 of em
16:11<xris>6 slots available
16:11<xris>buy 4, we get 6G of RAM
16:12<Chutt>err, yeah
16:12<Chutt>while i do generally use a calculator, i can still add 2+4 =)
16:12<xris>should give me some to play with memcached on the services stuff, too.
16:13-!-ahbritto [] has joined #mythtv
16:15<gbee>xris: are some of the icons being grabbed from sources other than lyngsat? When viewing the admin area earlier attempted to set a cookie, which I thought was a little strange unless one of the icons came from their site
16:16<xris>yeah, some come from pbs
16:16<xris>there are also uk, sweden, and one other source.. from the xmltv stuff
16:18<danielk22>xris: have you done anything with the logo's that TMS keeps passing along from the networks?
16:18<gbee>ok, that explains it then
16:19<xris>danielk22: no. technically neither we nor TMS has the right to use them for anything other than those emails that TMS sends out
16:19-!-CDev [] has left #mythtv []
16:19<xris>I'm trying to figure out how to work with the xmltv community to build a channel icon database, though.
16:20<danielk22>well I think when TMS says they are sent on behalf of the TV station/network the TV station/network wants em to be used..
16:21<danielk22>it's only the greater icon database that TMS does not have the right to share
16:21<gbee>xris: I've an idea for the admin area, namely an optional filter or page, where just icons which have been submitted by more than x10, x20 people are shown
16:22<xris>gbee: yeah, that whole thing needs help. heh
16:22<xris>danielk22: I really want to work with these guys to set something up for mythtv/xmltv/sd:
16:22<gbee>no hurry, you seem to know there is a problem :)
16:22-!-NightMonkey [n=NightMon@pdpc/supporter/sustaining/NightMonkey] has quit [Client Quit]
16:23<xris>gbee: but yeah, adding a filter to those pages should be easy
16:25<danielk22>xris: this is unrelated to station icons right? They seem to be a general TV program wiki of some sort
16:25<gbee>maybe some sort of automatic threshold for approval too, something high (25,30)? but which means that popular lineups/channels don't wait for us to catch up
16:25<xris>danielk22: it would be an expansion of what they have... but the tv info would be good for the SD supplemental data stuff
16:25<danielk22>you're thinking more of a "Click here for more info on 'Stargate SG-1'"
16:25-!-ToadP [] has quit [Connection reset by peer]
16:26<xris>they never responded to my email, so it may be a moot point
16:26-!-ToadP [] has joined #mythtv
16:26<danielk22>weird, maybe a one [wo]man operation?
16:28<danielk22>I know the person who runs "" but that is a much smaller operation with much fewer shows.
16:29<xris>I just think it'd be nice to publish that supplemental info in a nice human-readable way like a wiki....
16:29<danielk22>hmm, looks like she has gone dormant anyway
16:31<danielk22>xris: why not in a mythtv overlay window during a program, and a popup in the epg.. I like to have that stuff integrated.. using a browser via remote control is frustrating IMHO.
16:31-!-aevil [] has joined #mythtv
16:32<kormoc>A scrollable EPG thing would work for my usage
16:32<kormoc>What would rock imho would be a way to say, I've watched every episode of star-trek so the schedule can be deleted rather then sitting there and never matching
16:33-!-MrGandalf [] has quit ["home"]
16:35<danielk22>kormoc: that would be cool... but I'd also like the option of deleting all watched history in that case, then I can rewatch something like Arrested Development, but only after I've seen every episode at least once. Plus we need to add sound to the menus so that trumpets can blare when you've watched an entire series. :)
16:36<Chutt>confetti drops down the screen
16:36<Chutt>big CONGRATULATIONS text pops up
16:37<danielk22>And it temporarily opens up the "ctrl-alt-shift-5" keycombo that lets you play tetris :)
16:38<Chutt>danielk22, i'm going to do one more merge from fixes->trunk tonight
16:38<Chutt>and then people are going to have to do it themselves
16:38-!-mattwire [] has joined #mythtv
16:38<danielk22>yeah, I'll start committing to trunk first as soon as you've done the merge..
16:39-!-dagar_ [] has joined #mythtv
16:39-!-dagar [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:47-!-rn114 [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:47-!-rn114 [] has joined #mythtv
16:47-!-CDev [] has joined #mythtv
16:55-!-renatofilho^ [n=renato@] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
16:55-!-jgarvey [] has quit ["Leaving"]
16:55<Chutt>gbee, still here?
17:01-!-renatofilho^_ [n=renato@] has joined #mythtv
17:02<gbee>Chutt: yeah
17:03<Chutt>so what'd you want to do for mythui stuff?
17:04<gbee>where am I going to start? I'm not clear on the question
17:06<gbee>well I want to finish off what I started on myththemedmenu, change that over to using mythui theme directly
17:08<gbee>I've also got an unfinished MythUITextEdit class that needs to be completed and committed, after that I was going to take it as it comes, probably starting with some simple and little used screens
17:09<gbee>I think I'll create a branch for that, to minimise disruption, but merge back to trunk at regular intervals
17:09<Chutt>plugins first?
17:10<gbee>Chutt: I could start with plugins, they tend to be simple, with the exception of mythmusic
17:10<Chutt>i mean, that's what i'd suggest
17:10<Chutt>less people will bitch if they break temporarily, too
17:10<Chutt>get all the bugs worked out of the lower level ui code before starting on the big stuff =)
17:11<gbee>in what little work I've done so far I ran into mythui bugs and improvements ...
17:11<gbee>you got there before me ;)
17:14<gbee>just remembered that I planned to do mythweather first, made a lot of sense because I need to cleanup the UI anyway
17:15<gnome42>gbee: still poking away ... can't test it well here :/
17:16<gbee>I'll follow that with mythgame, mythflix and mythnews, all small one/two window plugins with no new widgets required
17:18<gbee>scrub that, I'll start with those three plugins, get them out of the way because mythweather is a little more involved, I want to implement my grouping idea there
17:18<gbee>gnome42: recording at the moment, so I'll test later if that's ok?
17:19<gnome42>gbee: yeah, that would be great thanks. no rush
17:22-!-briand [] has quit [Connection timed out]
17:22-!-briand [] has joined #mythtv
17:25-!-mooseman089 [] has joined #mythtv
17:25-!-mooseman089 [] has left #mythtv []
17:26-!-_gunni_ [] has joined #mythtv
17:39-!-erik_ [] has joined #mythtv
17:42-!-briand [] has quit [Connection timed out]
17:43-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
17:48-!-briand [] has joined #mythtv
17:50-!-xris [] has quit []
17:57-!-aevil [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
17:59-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:09-!-beavis [] has quit ["Verlassend"]
18:13-!-Netsplit <-> quits: jk1joel, Dave123, poptix, MGisbers, prg3, phedny, janneg, Dibblah, jwhite, Beirdo, (+1 more, use /NETSPLIT to show all of them)
18:14-!-Netsplit over, joins: MGisbers, Dibblah, prg3, jwhite, Dave123, mace, Beirdo, janneg, phedny, jk1joel (+1 more)
18:18-!-phatmonke [n=ben@] has quit []
18:19-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
18:23<gbee>ewww, mythflix reimplements chunks of xmlparse
18:23<gbee>as does mythnews
18:26<gbee>and chunks of myththemeddialog
18:26-!-loops [] has joined #mythtv
18:27<danielk22>mythflix is pretty much a copy-n-paste of mythnews..
18:28<gbee>yep, realised that when I looked at them side by side
18:30<gbee>both use MythDialog instead of MythThemedDialog so there is a lot of UI code in there which can be stripped out
18:30-!-mzb [] has joined #mythtv
18:31-!-erik_ [] has quit ["Lämnar"]
18:31<gbee>but it makes for more work in converting them to mythui, at least MythThemedDialog had a lot of superficial similarities to MythScreenType
18:51-!-_gunni_ [] has quit ["KVIrc 3.2.4 Anomalies"]
18:57<Chutt>that was intentional :p
19:00<gbee>Chutt: well it would have been a huge coincidence ;)
19:00<Chutt>i dunno, i didn't do MythThemedDialog
19:00<gbee>if it wasn't intentional ...
19:01<gbee>anyway, mythflix is nearly done
19:01<Chutt>gbee, naw, but i thought about redoing it a bit
19:01<Chutt>mythgame might be a little more work, since it's using the other tree-type, isn't it?
19:01<gbee>yep, managedtreelist
19:02<gbee>so I'm leaving it for the moment
19:02<Chutt>gbee, might want to start consolidating the base types (a buttonlist, a button, etc) in base.xml, too
19:02<Chutt>ideally, there'd be one base definition for all that stuff
19:02<gbee>yeah, I'll do that
19:02<Chutt>so the look's more consistant
19:02<gbee>fonts need doing too
19:02<Chutt>same fonts, same trees, etc
19:02<Chutt>good stuff =)
19:03<gbee>and I'll have to do it soon too, I don't really want to go back over old ground too much
19:03<Chutt>that's why i brought it up =)
19:04<Chutt>i do like the inheritance work in mythcontrols
19:05-!-rn114 [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
19:15*MrGandalf wonders why he goes through the trouble of getting DVB radio text working when DVB radio won't even play without mass stuttering..
19:16<gbee>MrGandalf: current trunk? that's fixed here
19:16<MrGandalf>gbee: close enough.. after the fix anyway
19:17<MrGandalf>bah, I give up.. three days and I've gotten nowhere. I hate working with ffmpeg
19:19<MrGandalf>the stuttering is only a couple minutes in and goes away after a couple minutes. very odd. easily gotten around though
19:22<MrGandalf>anyone who knows AFD::GetFrame(), can you answer a simple question for me?
19:24<MrGandalf>oh well
19:25-!-fuhgawz [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
19:29<gbee>MrGandalf: try the question anyway, I don't claim to know anything of value about GetFrame, but I've spent time looking at it in the past
19:29<MrGandalf>gbee: thanks, I've pose it then :)
19:30<MrGandalf>given three streams, stream 0 == audio, stream 1 == video, stream 3 == data. In GetFrame(), would stream 3 EVER get processed considering it comes after the video stream?
19:32<MrGandalf>I guess the real question is, will av_get_frame() always start at the lowest stream index and work up or pass packets for any stream not yet read?
19:32<Chutt>all packets of stream 3 are after stream 1's ended?
19:33<MrGandalf>chutt: I don't know how to answer that.. I'm guessing no, this is a ts file.
19:33<MrGandalf>but stream 3 is a very low bitrate
19:33<gbee>MrGandalf: based on it's behaviour and not what I know of the actual code, yes - UK DVB radio has no video but it does have data (MHEG) which is processed just fine
19:33<Chutt>then it doesn't matter.
19:34<MrGandalf>ok, so it will get processed then
19:34<janneg>CODEC_TYPE_DATA packets are dropped explicitly. see line 3340
19:35<MrGandalf>janneg: if that's true, you just saved me
19:36<MrGandalf>janneg: can you give me some context? my 3340 I'm sure isn't yours
19:36<gbee>yeah, it does and the reason MHEG works is that we special case it at line 3319
19:36<gbee>MrGandalf: // we don't care about other data streams
19:36<janneg>MrGandalf: search for //we don't care about other data streams
19:37<MrGandalf>ah, ok..
19:37<MrGandalf>well, I've already added my own processing there
19:37<janneg>damn, gbee was faster and didn't forgot the space
19:37<gbee>copy/paste :)
19:39<MrGandalf>I've been staring at this for better than 2 days now. av_get_frame() never returns my stream
19:39<MrGandalf>thus that code never gets executed.
19:39<MrGandalf>but the stream exists in ic->streams
19:39<gbee>just noticed I'm still waiting for commit emails 10-15 minutes after the fact
19:39<MrGandalf>and AFD::ScanStreams sees it.
19:43<janneg>because it is in the pmt, are you sure that packets are in the stream?
19:44<MrGandalf>janneg: yea. I used tsreader to extract the stream and it's there
19:46<janneg>check libavformat/mpegts.c if it's dropping packets for some reason
19:47<MrGandalf>I've been through that but I may have missed something.
19:48-!-loops [] has quit ["Leaving"]
19:49<janneg>if you can upload a sample I'll look at it in the next days
19:50<janneg>good night
19:50<MrGandalf>janneg: I'll send you a link. Many thanks.
19:52-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has quit ["Leaving"]
19:56-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #mythtv
20:28-!-mattwire [] has quit ["Leaving"]
20:35-!-Snow-Man_ [] has joined #mythtv
20:35-!-Snow-Man_ [] has quit [Client Quit]
20:45-!-Anduin [] has quit [Connection timed out]
20:54-!-clever [] has quit [Connection timed out]
21:05-!-clever [] has joined #mythtv
21:25-!-NightMonkey [n=NightMon@pdpc/supporter/sustaining/NightMonkey] has joined #mythtv
21:37-!-Anduin [] has joined #mythtv
21:43-!-rhpot1991_laptop [] has joined #mythtv
21:44<rhpot1991_laptop>is there documentation on the perl bindings anywhere, so I don't go reinventing the wheel?
21:46-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
21:50<kormoc>they're mostly self documenting, and xris is the guy who wrote them
21:55<rhpot1991_laptop>alright thanks
22:11<sphery>rhpot1991_laptop: Also, see some of the contrib scripts that use them for "usage docs" (i.e., misc_status_info/*.pl,, icons/master_iconmap/
22:30-!-rhpot1991_laptop [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
22:32-!-dagar_ [] has quit ["Leaving"]
22:33-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
22:33-!-dagar [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
22:33-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
22:37-!-sphery [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
22:38-!-purserj [] has joined #mythtv
22:38-!-sphery [] has joined #mythtv
23:02-!-Netsplit <-> quits: jk1joel, poptix, Dave123, MGisbers, phedny, janneg, prg3, Dibblah, jwhite, Beirdo, (+1 more, use /NETSPLIT to show all of them)
23:03-!-Netsplit over, joins: MGisbers, Dibblah, prg3, jwhite, Dave123, mace, Beirdo, janneg, phedny, jk1joel (+1 more)
23:03-!-sphery [] has quit ["leaving"]
23:03-!-sphery [] has joined #mythtv
23:04-!-MGisbers [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
23:04-!-Dave123 [] has quit [SendQ exceeded]
23:04-!-MGisbers [] has joined #mythtv
23:06-!-Dave123 [] has joined #mythtv
23:06-!-Beirdo [n=gjhurlbu@unaffiliated/beirdo] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
23:06-!-Beirdo [n=gjhurlbu@unaffiliated/beirdo] has joined #mythtv
23:11-!-IceWewe [n=icewewe@unaffiliated/icewewe] has joined #mythtv
23:19-!-turbo [] has joined #mythtv
23:21-!-briand [] has quit [Connection timed out]
23:27*sphery wonders how #4921 could be a Myth bug
23:53-!-scant [n=scant@] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
23:59<xris>danielk22: just deleted an in-progress zero byte recording and the backend didn't crash...
23:59-!-crichardson [n=crichard@] has joined #mythtv
---Logclosed Tue Mar 11 00:00:56 2008