Back to Home / #mythtv / 2008 / 03 / Prev Day | Next Day
#mythtv IRC Logs for 2008-03-13

---Logopened Thu Mar 13 00:00:19 2008
00:02-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
00:06<sphery>Through MythVideo Internal player, it plays pretty well (though it thinks it's 3:40 instead of like 3:10 because of the missing seektable) but with a small A/V sync offset. Using mythtv to play, if I use the path in the DB, it uses the seektable and it works. If I don't, it plays like with MythVideo.
00:06<sphery>Oh, and no A/V sync offset during the show whether I have a seektable or not.
00:08-!-HRearden [] has quit ["Leaving"]
00:09<sphery>Oh, and it definitely doesn't play in my (old - SVN r6732 Wed Oct 18 22:54:16 EDT 2006) ffplay--it's almost a second out of sync.
00:21<sphery>Anyway, Chutt, it's the issue that's reported in #4893 .
00:53-!-scant [n=scant@] has joined #mythtv
00:57-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
00:59-!-HReadren [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
01:21<Chutt>message delay seems to range from 0-60 seconds now
01:21<Chutt>err, 78 seconds
01:21<Chutt>not terribly bad
01:22-!-sigger__ [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
01:27-!-ToadP_ [] has joined #mythtv
01:31-!-joobie [] has joined #mythtv
01:35-!-ToadP [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
01:37-!-reynaldo_ [] has joined #mythtv
01:39-!-reynaldo [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
01:52-!-gnome42 [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:00-!-ToadP_ [] has quit [Client Quit]
02:05-!-MaverickTech [n=Maverick@] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
02:13-!-ToadP [] has joined #mythtv
02:14-!-ToadP [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
02:22-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
02:27-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #mythtv
02:51-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has quit ["Leaving"]
03:08-!-superm1 [n=superm1@ubuntu/member/superm1] has joined #mythtv
03:08<superm1>j-rod, you here by chance? I saw a post to a fedora-kernel-list that you mentioned about usbhid and pb_fnmode. Did you ever sort that out and find out why defaults were the way they are?
03:11<xris>superm1: he's rarely here out of east coast business hours..
03:11-!-xris [] has quit []
03:11<superm1>xris, ah. well i'll look for a response then sometime in the daytime tomorrow :)
03:22-!-nordenm [] has quit []
03:28-!-nordenm [] has joined #mythtv
03:50-!-BleedAway [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
04:07-!-nsaspook [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
05:17-!-robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
05:53-!-robthebob [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
06:19-!-ToadP [] has joined #mythtv
06:51-!-dagar [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
06:58-!-ukachaka [] has joined #mythtv
06:59-!-ukachaka [] has left #mythtv []
07:06-!-Inter95 [] has joined #mythtv
07:08-!-Inter95 [] has quit [Client Quit]
07:37-!-jeffc91 [] has joined #mythtv
07:48-!-MrGandalf [] has quit ["work"]
07:59-!-jeffc91_ [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
08:08-!-BleedAway [] has joined #mythtv
08:59-!-joobie [] has quit ["This computer has gone to sleep"]
09:13-!-millosh_ [n=millosh@adsl-251-165.eunet.yu] has joined #mythtv
09:13-!-MaverickTech [] has joined #mythtv
09:22-!-joan_ [n=joan@] has joined #mythtv
09:24<joan_>I need a PPV module for Mythtv and haven't found any. If there's no one that suite my needs I'm going to make one. Do you know about any module for basic pay per view processing?
09:30<danielk22>I don't know of any PPV modules. It would probably require some hooks in the frontend, and be specific to a cable/satellite provider, but so long as the provider specific parts are done via script[s] it could go into svn when you're done.
09:31-!-Nikas [] has joined #mythtv
09:31-!-Nikas [] has left #mythtv []
09:31-!-Nikas [] has joined #mythtv
09:32-!-Nikas [] has quit [Client Quit]
09:32<gbee>That's the iplayer plugin dead in the water -
09:34-!-gnome42 [] has joined #mythtv
09:34-!-Nikas [] has joined #mythtv
09:35-!-Nikas [] has quit [Client Quit]
09:38-!-Nikas [] has joined #mythtv
09:38<j-rod>superm1: usbhid and wha?... doesn't ring a bell... sure that was me talking about it? :)
09:41-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has joined #mythtv
09:43-!-Nikas2 [] has joined #mythtv
09:43-!-Nikas [] has quit [Nick collision from services.]
09:43-!-Nikas2 is now known as Nikas
09:48-!-rblackwe [] has joined #mythtv
09:51<gbee>right, lets hope that puts an end to the discussion of breaking or circumventing BBC copy protection on the dev list
10:02<joan_>danielk22: ok, I'll post my achievements
10:27-!-MaverickTech [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
10:32<superm1>j-rod, didn't think there were two jarod wilsons on fedora kernel lists.
10:36-!-joan_ [n=joan@] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
10:36<j-rod>superm1: ah, the thread title didn't ring a bell, but yeah, that sounds familiar now. :)
10:36<gbee>tempted to tackle mythgallery next, though I think I'll get mythnews out of the way as it's so similar to mythflix
10:37<superm1>j-rod, so did you end up tracking down why that was the case to default like that?
10:37<gbee>looking forward to using the grid view for the images
10:37<superm1>i mean its a quick change of an int value in hid-input.cs so not a big deal, but i'd think more people would complain
10:38<j-rod>superm1: never did, no, and I've also since stopped using my powerbook on a regular basis, so out of sight, out of mind... :)
10:38<superm1>j-rod, ah i see :)
10:39<j-rod>powerbook still has linux on it (as well as OS X), but my wife is the primary user now. I got a new thinkpad
10:39<superm1>i got myself an Apple aluminum wireless deal that I just finally got the FN key working,
10:39<superm1>it had a new ID that needed a quirk added to make the FN key work
10:40<superm1>j-rod, well maybe the wife doesn't need to press ctrl-alt-f1 (and similar) as often as I do :)
10:44<j-rod>yeah, I don't think she's ever pressed that combo, she only uses mac os x
10:54-!-nsaspook [] has joined #mythtv
10:54-!-adante [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
10:54-!-adante [] has joined #mythtv
10:56-!-jamesd [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
10:57-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
10:57<MrGandalf>does anyone know if SetCache(true) on a theme container also caches the text?
11:13-!-iamlindoro_ [n=robert@] has joined #mythtv
11:14<gbee>believe we only cache images, not the text
11:18<janneg>Chutt: trac can't access its database
11:19<MrGandalf>gbee: thanks
11:20<gbee>MrGandalf: just checked, I was wrong, I was confusing container caching with the OSDImageCache - they are two seperate things
11:21<MrGandalf>gbee: so text is cached? that saves me a lot of work
11:21<MrGandalf>well, work I've already done but at least cleans things up
11:21<gbee>MrGandalf: yeah, the whole container, it's children etc is cache if SetCache(true) is used
11:29-!-wswanson_ [] has joined #mythtv
11:30<wswanson_>anyone else notice the current svn to be broken? (starting like 16 hours ago)
11:32<wswanson_>the front-end renders the theme/fonts and then coredumps
11:32-!-BleedAway [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
11:33<laga>wswanson_: get a backtrace, make a ticket?
11:34-!-jamesd [] has joined #mythtv
11:34<wswanson_>not yet... i didn't have time... i will have time today... but this is happening now on every front-end I own (5 of them) after updating them to the latest build. I would be very surprised if not happening to lots of people. I'll be able to provide a ticket later today.
11:40-!-Der-Tim [] has joined #mythtv
11:40-!-Der-Tim [] has left #mythtv []
11:42-!-chrustinho [] has joined #mythtv
11:48-!-nordenm [] has quit []
11:51<gbee>wswanson_: update again
11:51<gbee>wswanson_: what revision, exactly?
11:52<wswanson_>1 sec, checking
11:53<wswanson_>At revision 16539.
11:53<gbee>what theme?
11:56<wswanson_>pretty sure they are all set to MythCenter
11:57-!-johnp__ [] has joined #mythtv
11:58<wswanson_>btw; if I focus in on myththeme and ./configure - make install that tree, I get a bunch of
11:58<wswanson_>Try `chown --help' for more information.
11:58<wswanson_>chown: missing operand after `../../../share/mythtv/themes//Minimalist-wide/buttons/MENU_UTILITIES_SETUP.png'
11:58<gbee>ok, I've been running MythCenter all day to debug mythui changes and I've not seen a crash
11:59<wswanson_>seems EUID is not set -- if I manually set it in cpsvndir ... by adding EUID=username, that goes away.
11:59<gbee>wswanson_: create a ticket for both issues, seperately, the second one is to do with Nigel
11:59<wswanson_>but the core doesn't. I'll get a trace in the next hour or two
11:59<gbee>ok, thanks
12:11-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
12:13-!-dagar [] has joined #mythtv
12:16-!-jgarvey [] has joined #mythtv
12:17-!-phatmonkey [n=ben@] has joined #mythtv
12:24-!-JoeBorn [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
12:39<jarle>problem compiling mythtv: Any idea what package I might be missing?
12:40-!-nordenm [] has joined #mythtv
12:40<jarle>actually it is configure that says "gcc is unable to create an executable file."
12:48<wswanson_>for general compile problems - check on mythtv-users -- you should be able to find help there
12:55<sphery>Regarding #4940 , the reporter says that the behavior is fixed in current ffmpeg SVN. See . Pretty sure #4940 is a dup of #4893 , too...
12:56-!-ahbritto [] has quit [Client Quit]
12:56<sphery>Also, the file itself is out of spec:
13:01-!-JoeyBorn [] has joined #mythtv
13:08<sphery>Still don't know why it plays perfectly on my setup (as the only ffmpeg difference between 0.21-fixes and trunk is an H.264 fix)...
13:09-!-dekarl [] has joined #mythtv
13:12-!-dekarl_zZz [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
13:18-!-iamlindoro_ [n=robert@] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
13:20<xris>cesman: ping
13:31-!-dekar1 [] has joined #mythtv
13:32-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
13:35-!-lcase [] has joined #mythtv
13:41<janneg>sphery: huh? only trunk has the fix?
13:41-!-dekarl [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
13:43<sphery>janneg: Looks like only trunk has , but that fix is irrelevant to playback of the MPEG-2 file (syncprob.mpg) that for some unexplained reason works on my system, but doesn't work on (anyone?) else's.
13:43<sphery>janneg: But ffmpeg's current SVN head has a fix for playback of the file, so I tried to tell the reporter of #4940 that it will get "fixed" the next time you do a merge and he should be patient.
13:44-!-reynaldo_ [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
13:45<gbee>sphery: downloading the sample now and will see how it plays here
13:45<gbee>it's not just an issue of the their deinterlacing settings?
13:46<gbee>one of my frontends had problems with deint being (re)enabled in 0.21
13:46<sphery>gbee: for me A/V sync was off by a little bit (about -80ms) until I built a seektable with mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys -c 9999 -s '2008-03-11 16:00:00' , then it played perfectly.
13:46<janneg>sphery: yeah, I forgot to merge the fix to -fixes but it is unrelated to anything besides h264 playback
13:47<sphery>The reporter of #4940 says A/V sync is off by almost 1s. It was for me when I used my extremely old ffplay (but only in the commercials, BTW).
13:47<janneg>I'll look at the sync problem later, bbl
13:48<sphery>janneg: Yeah. That's why I can't explain why it works on my system. Also, I think the ticket (and #4893--as I think #4940 is a dup of #4893) is invalid as it's fixed by ffmpeg's SVN trunk.
13:57<Chutt>where does it say the latest ffmpeg fixes it?
13:57<Chutt>the guy on the ffmpeg list told him to try something newer
13:57<Chutt>not that something newer worked.
13:58<sphery>Chutt: The ffmpeg guy told him it played back fine for him...
13:58<Chutt>no, he didn't
13:59<sphery>OK. I thought that's what the OP meant by, "They individual that tried the sample did not see any delay." in ,
13:59<sphery>The "Others here" meant others on the mythtv-users list.
14:02-!-reynaldo [] has quit ["Lost terminal"]
14:10-!-Nikas2 [] has joined #mythtv
14:10<danielk22>Just because it works with the latest ffmpeg does not mean it will work in mythtv after an ffmpeg merge. MythTV does it's own A/V sync. It may work if say the problem was with pts values, but it might be something completely different. I think I read that the file had invalid stuffing packets? If that's ts stuffing packets out ts handling is also pretty different from ffmpeg.. Someone either needs to find the ffmpeg patch that fixed the problem, or w
14:23<wswanson_>gbee: submitted the trace for mythfrontend
14:29-!-Nikas [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
14:29-!-Nikas2 is now known as Nikas
14:33<gbee>wswanson_: hmm, no idea, could you try reverting to an earlier revision and pin down the problem commit?
14:34<gbee>I was seeing a similar crash with memory corruption as a result of a change I made, but I can't remember the cause and it was definately fixed for me
14:36<wswanson_>What version would you recommend reverting to? I am not seeing the problem on exactly 1 of my 5 frontends (some are backend/frontend combo). I also wiped the svn tree ~/.distcc ~/.ccache and started fresh... but ended with same result.
14:37<gbee>start at 16524
14:38<gbee>anything in the logs btw?
14:42-!-erik_ [] has joined #mythtv
14:47-!-lcase [] has quit []
14:52-!-_gunni_ [] has joined #mythtv
14:52-!-phedny [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
14:52-!-_gunni_ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
14:52<wswanson_>gbee: i do see "*** glibc detected *** mythfrontend: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x083045c8 ***"
14:53<gbee>nothing before that though? no errors in the log before that line?
14:53<wswanson_>not really....
14:53<wswanson_>X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 171
14:53<wswanson_> Major opcode: 149
14:53<wswanson_> Minor opcode: 3
14:53<wswanson_> Resource id: 0x0
14:53<wswanson_>Failed to open device
14:53<wswanson_>X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 171
14:53<wswanson_> Major opcode: 149
14:54<wswanson_> Minor opcode: 3
14:54<wswanson_> Resource id: 0x0
14:54<wswanson_>Failed to open device
14:54<wswanson_>that's it... then the backtrace
14:55-!-foxhunt [] has joined #mythtv
14:58<GreyFoxx>wswanson_: See it after starting playback ?
14:58<GreyFoxx>Using the OpenGL renderer ?
14:58<GreyFoxx>(video renderer) ?
14:58<gbee>GreyFoxx: on startup of the frontend
14:58-!-_gunni_ [] has joined #mythtv
14:59<GreyFoxx>the OpenGL Video renderer triggered it for me when used with 169.* of the nvidia drivers
14:59<GreyFoxx>The test.mpg in #4943 plays just fine for me
14:59-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
15:00-!-robthebob [] has joined #mythtv
15:02<gbee>GreyFoxx: same here
15:05<gbee>GreyFoxx: replied to the ticket asking the reporter to try a more recent version
15:05<wswanson_>GreyFoxx: no, I see this error when starting mythfrontend. It happens after the theme is rendered.
15:06<gbee>or I would, but trac isn't responding
15:06<wswanson_>I'm currently going back to 16524 as gbee suggested
15:08<wswanson_>same deal on 16524
15:09<wswanson_>slightly more info on 16524:
15:09<wswanson_>2008-03-13 12:07:54.653 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
15:09<wswanson_>2008-03-13 12:07:54.690 Unable to initialize plugin 'mythappearance'.
15:09<wswanson_>*** glibc detected *** mythfrontend: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x083540e0 ***
15:09-!-kormoc [n=kormoc@unaffiliated/kormoc] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
15:10-!-mattwire [] has joined #mythtv
15:10<stuarta>mythappearance got rolled into the main mythtv
15:10<gbee>wswanson_: mythappearance isn't a plugin anymore, delete the .so file from /usr/local/lib/mythtv/plugins/
15:10<gbee>shouldn't be causing your problem though
15:11<wswanson_>correct -- it was unrelated - same error after removal
15:12<gbee>ok, guess I'd try [16520] then
15:12<wswanson_>will do
15:21<MrGandalf>is anyone else having an issue with stuttering on dvb radio?
15:22<stuarta>nope, i've got stuttering video on osx instead :-P
15:22<MrGandalf>that sounds worse
15:22<stuarta>timestretch != 1x cures it
15:23<MrGandalf>that sounds odd
15:23<stuarta>well that disables passthrough
15:23<MrGandalf>I see
15:23<stuarta>so i'm wondering if some of the newer upmixing code has had a side effect on osx
15:24<MrGandalf>well, you could disable audio, but that would throw off the timing alltogether
15:24<stuarta>no the audio is fine, its the video thats stuttering
15:25<MrGandalf>yes, but it could be stuttering due to the audio
15:25<stuarta>i believe it is
15:25<MrGandalf>if it has anything to do with the upmixing code
15:25<stuarta>since the first time it happened i was having audio buffer overruns
15:26<wswanson_>gbee: problem resolved at 16520
15:26<MrGandalf>sounds like the stream is trying to play too fast?
15:26<stuarta>after updating, i instead get the a/v sync code stuck 3.0-3.9 frames behind audio
15:26<stuarta>hmmm, possible
15:27<MrGandalf>probably plays too fast, gets too far ahead and compensates.. over an over in a cycle
15:27-!-iamlindoro_ [n=robert@] has joined #mythtv
15:27<MrGandalf>I've seen that before on some streams
15:28<stuarta>i know the a/v sync code has an underlying issue with getting stuck in that 3.0-3.9 frames behind audio
15:28<stuarta>this is just provoking it
15:28<sphery>stuarta: You're not using video as timebase, are you
15:28*stuarta hands sphery an /
15:28<stuarta>erm not that i know of
15:29<MrGandalf>do you use deinterlacing?
15:29<sphery>UseVideoTimebase in DB. Would be bad.
15:29<MrGandalf>well, nevermind.. probably not it
15:29<stuarta>put it this way, it was working perfectly until an update in the last few days, previous version was from about 10 days before
15:29<gbee>wswanson_: we
15:30<gbee>weird even
15:30<MrGandalf>can myth compensate for audio bitrate changes?
15:31<gbee>only changes between 16520 and 16524 were font related, there were no font error messages in the log?
15:31*stuarta confirmes UseVideoTimebase=0 for all frontends
15:32<sphery>wswanson_: Did you try running with QT themepainter (mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt) to see if those X errors are an OpenGL thing (though that wouldn't fix the issue gbee's helping you with)
15:32<wswanson_>sphery: will check
15:33<wswanson_>gbee: didn't see font errors in the log. I'm looking at stdout though -- should I be looking somewhere else?
15:34<gbee>sphery: syncprob.mpg shows an 80ms sync problem for me too, but that's all
15:35<sphery>gbee: Yeah. I don't know why some are having 1s sync errors... I saw that in ffplay, but (now knowing what danielk22 said) Myth's A/V sync is very different from ffplay's
15:36<gbee>wswanson_: may be something going to stderr, iirc those font strings use cerr instead of the VERBOSE macro
15:36<sphery>I wonder if it has something to do with the audio output (and, perhaps the new ALSA upmix stuff that also seems to be causing stuarta issues... :)
15:36<stuarta>i'm actually wondering if it's the base class mods.
15:36<stuarta>need to dig out the original changeset to find out what was changed
15:37<gbee>but I'm not not sure why that would cause problems, 16521 had a small error but it was fixed in 16522 and I'm using MythCenter right now with no problems
15:37<stuarta>cause the my mac doesn't use ALSA, it uses CoreAudio.
15:38*stuarta digs out 15893
15:41-!-foxhunt [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
15:41<wswanson_>this may help... so I have been working on a remote frontend and exporting display while working from my office (another room). rolling back to 16520 allows for the blue myth screen to come up, and the menus (with exported display). However, when I went to the local machine and started back up the front-end... I only get the blue screen and the clock - no menus.
15:41<wswanson_>If I hit any key, I also get a core dump -- last message in log is:
15:42<wswanson_> MythThemedMenuPrivate: Must have room for at least 1 column of buttons
15:42<stuarta>hmmm, the default AUDBUFSIZE has been doubled.
15:42*stuarta comments out the coreaudio hack on the AUDBUFSIZE
15:44<gbee>wswanson_: mythcenter or mythcenter-wide?
15:47<gbee>ok I'm clueless
15:47<gbee>make a copy of themes/default/base.xml from [16520] and then update to the latest revision, then copy it back before installing
15:48<sphery>wswanson_: How are you getting an "exported display"? ssh -X (if so, ssh -Y will probably fix the X errors)
15:48<sphery>wswanson_: And usually screen with no words is caused by not having fonts installed. MythCenter uses Trebuchet MS, so it requires installing MS Core Web fonts.
15:49<wswanson_>yep, got the fonts. :-/ been running smoothly for years and years
15:49<wswanson_>but the monitor (plasma TV) is a weird one. I'm running at 1024x768, though it is a widescreen.
15:50<wswanson_>i'll try your base.xml test from 16520 using latest revision
15:51<wswanson_>sphery: I am using vanilla ssh on cmdline ... but I have ForwardX11 in my ssh_config
15:52<wswanson_>I just testing with -Y -- still get the errors when exporting
15:55<wswanson_>just testing using 16520 base.xml on latest revision... I still see the " MythThemedMenuPrivate: Must have room for at least 1 column of buttons" with only the clock -- for the purpose of clarity... I am not exporting the display now
15:55<sphery>wswanson_: ForwardX11 is "untrusted" and removes access to certain resources. ForwardX11Trusted is what should fix it. (ForwardX11 = -X, ForwardX11Trusted = -Y. Don't know what -Y does if ForwardX11 is set but ForwardX11Trusted is not).
15:56<sphery>s/should/may (if it's an untrusted X11 issue causing it)
15:56<wswanson_>sphery: ty for the tip. will make appropriate change
15:59<sphery>gbee: regarding the DBSchemaVer in --version output, I found an issue. Since currentDatabaseVersion is specified in libs/libmythtv/dbcheck.cpp and we don't have a gContext for --version, TTBOMK, getting schema ver for --version would require moving currentDatabaseVersion to the header, but then changes will require updating dbcheck.cpp and dbcheck.h, so it probably wouldn't be a well-loved change.
15:59<wswanson_>seems that is not what is causing it... still happens with Trusted enabled in ssh_config and with or without -Y
16:00<sphery>OK. Sorry for the noise. Some other missing resource, then.
16:00<wswanson_>I learned something regardless. so ty
16:01<gbee>sphery: hmm, well I can't think of a solution for you :(
16:02<gbee>I'm struggling with a weird segfault right now related to a patch I wrote last night, so my attention is elsewhere :)
16:02<sphery>Guess we'll just not include the DB Schema Version. Since the trunk/rev will always allow us to determine what it should be, it's probably no big deal. And, may mean fewer users will try running differing branch/revs on different machines.
16:03<wswanson_>can I override theme with -O Theme=[theme] ?
16:03<wswanson_>[of course, I can change it in the db, too]
16:04<wswanson_>I can! nvm
16:06<wswanson_>and not only that --- when I use mythcenterwide, the problem goes away
16:08<janneg>sphery: syncprob.mpg has here a large offset during the commercials, the show is fine. ffplay r11940 has the same problem
16:09-!-rn114 [] has joined #mythtv
16:09-!-robthebob [] has quit [Connection reset by peer]
16:11<janneg>current svn (r12435) shows the same offset
16:11-!-JoeyBorn [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:12<sphery>janneg: For gbee and I, there was a -80ms offset during commercials. I'm using 2-channel analog output, if that makes a difference.
16:13<sphery>And, though it's not supposed to matter, when I had a good seektable (220 type-9 marks), it played back with perfect sync
16:14<sphery>janneg: But I agree the show is definitely fine (didn't see the -80ms offset even without the seektable).
16:15<sphery>I know (from previous threads) that the OP is using digital out. I don't know what audio setting he's using, though.
16:18<janneg>I'm using oss analog stereo out and I have without seektable 500ms offset
16:18-!-rn114__ [] has joined #mythtv
16:18-!-rn114 [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:19<sphery>I'm using ALSA:default with 2-channel analog.
16:24-!-rn114__ is now known as robthebob
16:24<sphery>janneg: BTW, someone from ffmpeg said that the file is out of spec with invalid stuffing bytes:
16:25<janneg>gbee: mythfrontends setup screens are broken for me (metallurgy and G.A.N.T), I'll test after a make distclean
16:26<janneg>sphery: I know but thanks
16:26<gbee>janneg: odd, I've got the same problem but it doesn't seem to be related to any change that I've made
16:27<gbee>janneg: missing items, placement etc all wrong?
16:27<gbee>affects all settings stuff for me, including mythtv-setup, but I assumed it was an X related bug on my system
16:27<janneg>yes, all placed in top 15% of the screen
16:28-!-aevil [] has joined #mythtv
16:29-!-beavis [] has quit ["Verlassend"]
16:29-!-MrGandalf [] has quit ["home"]
16:29<janneg>I've used only the storage group setup and that was ok but it might was the old revision
16:30<gbee>works randomly for me, I went through a full scan etc using mythtv-setup and it was fine, 12 hours later I did it again and everything was screwed up
16:32<gbee>I'll lay money on that being the problem commit
16:33<janneg>G.A.N.T was fixed after a make distclean
16:34<janneg>metallurgy too
16:34<gbee>yeah, I've just noticed it's working here too, I did a distclean earlier today for another reason but hadn't checked
16:36*xris needs to get metallurgy installed on his mac mythtv
16:40*gbee needs to finish metallurgy
16:41<stuarta>xris: you seen any playback issues on the mac at normal speed
16:41<gbee>realised that I should probably finish it for 0.21 before I commit UI changes and have to start re-writing it
16:43<xris>stuarta: everything in the mac frontend feels slow... but other than that I think it's the same as linux..
16:44<xris>I may still get some audio sync issues in linux.. haven't re-tested things since I recompiled yesterday
16:44<stuarta>k, just i'm seeing stuttering video at normal speed which goes away when i timestretch
16:46<xris>getting a lot of scheduling type problems, though... stuff is getting re-recorded when it doesn't have to be.
16:46<xris>I keep having to "never record" stuff in mythweb to prevent it from rerecording stuff I've already watched
16:54<gbee>if we are going to get tickets pushed from Ubuntu then they could at least be from 0.21+
16:54-!-DaveMorris [n=dave@] has joined #mythtv
16:55<DaveMorris>which nick belongs to stuartm ?
16:55<xris>gbee: hide! ;) (DaveMorris )
16:56<gbee>DaveMorris: that'll be me
16:56<DaveMorris>gbee: how can I tell the difference between fixes branches and whats cut from the fixes then?
16:56<Chutt>uh, stuff that's newer than the release?
16:57<Chutt>all those bug reports are pretty useless.
16:57-!-johnp__ [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
16:57<gbee>Package: mythtv-frontend 0.21.0~fixes16174 << 0.21 is anything above 16468
16:58<DaveMorris>Chutt: how come?
16:58<gbee>anything below 16468 and which comes from the 0.21-fixes branch is RC/Beta
16:58<Chutt>because none of them give repro steps?
16:59<DaveMorris>so would you rather pretend the bug doesn't exist?
16:59<gbee>many of the bugs in those versions before the actual release have already been fixed, but anything which post-dates the release we'll be interested in
16:59<Chutt>most of those are from _well_ before the release
16:59<Chutt>and without information on how to reproduce it, how do you expect anyone to fix it?
17:00<xris>Chutt: time to go on a ticket-close frenzy, then? :)
17:00<Chutt>gbee and i just did
17:00<DaveMorris>couldn't some of them be solved by looking at the code, and you spotting a stupid mistake though?
17:00<gbee>at least the segfaults come with backtraces, which can sometimes be enough
17:00<Chutt>one of those was even obviously a packaging error
17:01<Chutt>DaveMorris, then, why don't you do that
17:01<DaveMorris>coz my c++ sucks
17:01<Chutt>then, try being helpful
17:02<Chutt>instead of wasting time
17:02<DaveMorris>I am, hence why I'm here asking about my mistakes
17:02<Chutt>no repro steps, no bug.
17:02<Chutt>not from the release, no bug.
17:02<Chutt>??'s in the backtrace, no bug.
17:03<DaveMorris>what about the segfaults with backtraces (ueah I noticed that once after uploading it sorry)
17:03<Chutt>again, without a way to reproduce it, we can't fix it.
17:03<DaveMorris>what about the bugs which just happen in the background, such as mythfill ?
17:03<Chutt>a backtrace helps, yes, but you still generally need to be able to reproduce a problem
17:04<iamlindoro_>What about a bug that happens when you randomly comment out lines of code? How about bugs that are simply the word "chinchilla" repeated x 1000?
17:05<iamlindoro_>*fix it*!
17:05*iamlindoro_ stomps petulantly.
17:05<gbee>DaveMorris: we'll take a look, but can't promise to fix them, sometimes finding the cause relies upon information that just isn't provided by the backtrace and which most users fail to include in their reports
17:05<Chutt>StacktraceTop:RingBuffer::ReadAheadThread (this=0x971490) at
17:05<Chutt> RingBuffer.cpp:813
17:05<Chutt>line 813 in the release is a blank line.
17:06<wswanson_>janneg: can you describe the setup screens problem? causing a core?
17:07<wswanson_>just curious if it is related to the problem I found with MythCenter (but not MythCenterWide)
17:07<gbee>wswanson_: it's not going to be related, it was a change that Nigel made to the way the dimensions of the Setup Screens were calculated but that's entirely different code to the main menus or frontend screens
17:08<gbee>doesn't cause a segfault, just means that everything is in the wrong position
17:08<gbee>it's fixed by a "make distclean"
17:08-!-wswanson_ is now known as wylie
17:09-!-xris [] has quit []
17:09-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
17:11<gbee>take the segfault that I'm trying to fix right now, it's cause by a patch I just wrote but the backtrace points at a completely different area and so far I'm unable to explain it
17:13-!-phatmonkey [n=ben@] has quit []
17:13-!-xris [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
17:14-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
17:19-!-joobie [n=joobie@] has joined #mythtv
17:20<gbee>finally found the cause and it's inexplicable :)
17:22*xris wonders how to do a "mythtv in a nutshell" presentation without access to livetv.
17:23<DaveMorris>instead of live TV use a vcr to play in, should be the same as using a settop box
17:24-!-millosh_ [n=millosh@adsl-251-165.eunet.yu] has quit ["Ex-Chat"]
17:24<Chutt>xris, just playback. livetv's so useless anyway =)
17:26<xris>was hoping to go through the whole setup.. SD registration, etc.
17:26<xris>but I guess that's easy enough to demo, too
17:26<gbee>xris: heh, we took along an aerial and pointed it out the nearest window :)
17:26<xris>gbee: yeah, that works when there are TV stations to receive.
17:27<xris>would have to put one on the roof to get any reception
17:27-!-MrGandalf [] has joined #mythtv
17:27<xris>I tried my little portable atsc antenna last year and it didn't work at all indoors
17:27<gbee>worked to our advantage because the F1 was on that weekend and all the visitors pulled up chairs to watch it instead of attending the talks ;)
17:28<DaveMorris>yeah, that was LURadio
17:29<janneg>LinuxTag is just a couple steps away from the DVB-T tower. we had also DVB-C and the vdr guys installed a satellite dish
17:30<gbee>ahh, well this was a full size roof-top thing which Justin taped with duct tape to chair which we stood on a table by the window
17:30<gbee>it was actually pointing through the window to the bar and out the windows on the other side ;)
17:36<xris>janneg: that's nice. linuxfest is just at a local community college.. I could get a tv signal, but would have to set the machine up a week or more in advance. and it's a 2-3 hour drive away, so not worth the effort.
17:37<xris>it's amazing with the amount of tech stuff in seattle, there really aren't any major trade shows... and ZERO linux activity (though that's more related to the politics of the seattle LUG)
17:38<janneg>I live just 20 minutes from the LinuxTag fairground
17:39-!-aevil [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
17:40<danielk22>janne: can i assume you will be at LinuxTag?
17:41<janneg>sphery: 16390 was in 16391 applied to fixes
17:42*stuarta remembers much jack D being drunk at LRL
17:43<gbee>stuarta: I don't? :p
17:44<janneg>danielk22: yes, I've registered mythtv and it is accepted as project
17:44-!-JoeBorn [] has joined #mythtv
17:44<janneg>do plan to visit europe?
17:45<danielk22>cool! linuxmce was also accepted as a project... i know at least one other booth i'll be visiting...
17:46<danielk22>i just bought the air tickets yesterday..
17:46<xris>hmm, we need a .21.x milestone
17:46<stuarta>think i'll have to wait until next year for LinuxTag
17:47<xris>danielk22: for linuxtag?
17:49<danielk22>Well i bought tickets for 12 days, my wife and i are vacationing.. but my few first days will be at linuxtag.
17:50<sphery>janneg: Cool. I was just going off #4862. Seems that's one of the commit refs that Trac didn't push back to the ticket.
17:50<danielk22>i mean i'll be in germany 12 days.. i bought air tickets there and back yesterday.
17:51-!-jgarvey [] has quit ["Leaving"]
17:51<danielk22>"linux day" is only the 28th through 31st
17:52<janneg>sphery: it took me three merge attempts without changing any file until I checked the file in fixes
17:53<janneg>danielk22: the rest time is vacation?
17:53<sphery>sorry for the extra work...
17:54<xris>danielk22: sounds like fun.
17:54-!-erik_ [] has quit ["Lämnar"]
17:57-!-iamlindoro_ [n=robert@] has quit ["Me home go."]
18:00-!-Cardoe [n=Cardoe@gentoo/developer/Cardoe] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:04<gbee>damn, ryanair to Berlin is cheap (half Easyjet for return)
18:05*gbee is now seriously considering it
18:06<gbee>of course it's not just the air fare
18:07-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
18:12-!-reynaldo [] has joined #mythtv
18:14<gbee>wish we had a decent event over here and in a better location than London
18:14-!-Dave123 [] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:15<gbee>ok, mythflix is now mouse friendly(ish)
18:20-!-czth__ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-04c63c110db68919] has joined #mythtv
18:20-!-tomimo [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
18:22<xris>gbee: better than london? but london is so big!
18:22*xris still hopes to someday see more of london than the airport.
18:23<gbee>big and expensive, plus 200 miles from here :)
18:25<gbee>London is usually where these events get held but it's not exactly a central location
18:25<stuarta>not so far fro here :)
18:26<xris>gbee: you live in a TEENY TINY country... everything is close.
18:26<gbee>xris: heh, yeah
18:26<xris>I have an 807 mile drive if I want to go to linuxworld in san francisco. :)
18:27<xris>or 2851 miles if I want to go visit danielk22 in new york
18:27<gbee>wouldn't be so bad but I think we have the most expensive public transport in the world :) Doesn't matter that London is just 200 miles from here, it costs as much to take the train as it would to fly to Berlin return
18:27-!-mattwire [] has quit ["Leaving"]
18:29<gbee>Nottingham wouldn't be a bad location, it's central and cheaper than other locations such as Manchester, Birmingham or London
18:29-!-Dave123 [] has joined #mythtv
18:30<gbee>and just 10 miles from here :)
18:32<xris>at least you HAVE long distance public transportation.
18:33<xris>passenger train system in the US is a joke
18:35<stuarta>oh but you can guarantee the one weekend you want to go somewhere the trains will be replaced by buses because they are doing trackwork
18:36-!-czth_ [n=dbrobins@nat/microsoft/x-e705ba3b590c2de8] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
18:36<xris>better than none at all.
18:37<xris>in the US, you pretty much fly or drive
18:37<xris>trains and busses are for nostalgia
18:38-!-beavis [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
18:38-!-jmk [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
18:39-!-jmk [] has joined #mythtv
18:42-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
18:48-!-robthebob [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
18:50-!-kurre2__ [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
19:02-!-_gunni_ [] has quit ["KVIrc 3.2.4 Anomalies"]
19:02-!-beavis [] has quit ["Verlassend"]
19:04-!-DaveMorris [n=dave@] has left #mythtv ["Leaving."]
19:09-!-kurre2 [] has joined #mythtv
19:10-!-beavis [] has joined #mythtv
19:12-!-beavis [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
19:27-!-JoeBorn [] has quit ["Leaving"]
19:27-!-xris [] has quit []
19:30-!-neste1 [] has joined #mythtv
19:31-!-neste1 [] has left #mythtv []
19:47-!-Beanos [] has joined #mythtv
19:48-!-Beanos [] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
19:54<gbee>I was wondering how I was going to get around the use of a Spinbox in mythflix, but I needn't have worried - the setting it's attached to isn't actually used .....
19:56-!-cattelan [] has joined #mythtv
19:57-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
19:57-!-xris [] has quit [Remote closed the connection]
20:00-!-xris [] has joined #mythtv
20:43-!-Nikas [] has quit ["( :: NoNameScript 4.2 :: )"]
20:54<gbee>at some point we'll have to decide what settings widgets are needed, I think keeping it to the basics would be best, with some offering multiple roles
20:56<gbee>text entry is an obvious one (already written it, but it needs work), mythuibutton can be used for checkboxes and their labels
20:58<gbee>mythlistbutton, in vertical mode can be used for drop downs, in horizontal mode can be used like the schedule editor
20:59<gbee>it might even be used for spinboxes and comboboxes
21:00<gbee>we need a progress bar, have I missed anything?
21:03<danielk22>Text entry that does number verification as well.. I can add the number verification..
21:04-!-SoulBlade [] has joined #mythtv
21:05<danielk22>I think that's it, the rest is just features added to these basic gui objects
21:09<gbee>we need a tree widget - that can be derived from mythlistbutton
21:09<Chutt>port from old treelist code
21:09<Chutt>i never got around to it
21:12<gbee>I'll commit the mythflix stuff tomorrow and tackle mythgallery, if the weather's not too good at the weekend I'll spend some time finishing the text entry widget, I think the biggest job there is porting over the onscreen keyboard
21:12<Chutt>just a bunch of buttons
21:13<gbee>yeah, not difficult, just lots to hook up :)
21:14<gbee>if the buttons lined up into a grid I could use mythlistbutton and save myself a lot of time ...
21:15<gbee>that could actually work .... at least for the main part, 0-9, A-Z, with seperate buttons for space, shift, return and backspace
21:20-!-kurre2__ [] has joined #mythtv
21:24<jams>gbee- still need that patch tested?
21:25<gbee>jams: Captain_Murdoch has sorted me out with a netflix a/c for testing so I should be ok
21:25-!-kurre2 [] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
21:26<gbee>I've made some changes since the patch I posted earlier, namely I forgot the settings screen entirely
21:26<gbee>what I've been able to test so far, the browse screen, works perfectly, but I'm just waiting for the plugins to rebuild before I can test the rest
21:27<jams>i have been gone all day, so have not had a chance to do anything with the patch
21:27<jams>in fact just pulled up the patch about 10 minutes ago
21:28<gbee>you can try it, for mouse support it requires latest trunk, but settings won't work at all
21:28-!-HReadren [] has joined #mythtv
21:29-!-HReadren [] has quit [Client Quit]
21:31<jams>afraid you would say that, i'm attemptig to stick with -fixes at least until mythvantage is released to the public
21:31<gbee>I probably won't get testing done until tomorrow now, I should get to bed
21:34<Captain_Murdoch>xris: you can use fake tuners to simulate LiveTV and recordings.
21:35<xris>Captain_Murdoch: fake tuners?
21:35<xris>what, point to a file?
21:36<Captain_Murdoch>it's what I use on my dev box. create a MPEG tuner like for an ivtv card and change the videodevice to file:/path/to/some/mpeg/file.mpg and myth will read from that fileas if it were recording from a real tuner.
21:37<Captain_Murdoch>makes it easy to simulate multiple tuners for testing the scheduler, storage groups, etc. :)
21:37<Captain_Murdoch>channel changing doesn't actualy change video though, it's not that sophisticated.
21:42-!-Netsplit <-> quits: dlblog
21:43-!-Netsplit over, joins: dlblog
21:44-!-HReadren [] has joined #mythtv
21:50<CDev>I have a couple of upnp fixes... should I be commiting them to both release-0-21-fixes and trunk or just trunk?
21:51-!-jams [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
21:52-!-jams [] has joined #mythtv
22:04<GreyFoxx>CDev: I'd say both
22:04<GreyFoxx>assuming it fixes problems in 0.21
22:18<Chutt>if it's safe, then fixes
22:29<superm1>Chutt, that bug that you thought was a packaging error was not a packaging error. It was caused by an NVIDIA library that no longer supported SSE. The symptoms are identical though to the naked eye :)
22:29<superm1>er only supported SSE
22:39-!-SoulBlade [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
22:48-!-Jester45 [] has joined #mythtv
22:48-!-Jester45 [] has left #mythtv ["Leaving"]
22:54-!-kurre2 [] has joined #mythtv
22:58-!-moodboom [] has joined #mythtv
23:03-!-kurre2__ [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
23:08-!-HReadren [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
23:11<Chutt>still was obviously not a myth bug :p
23:11<Chutt>but, cool to know
23:34-!-jhatch [] has joined #mythtv
23:53-!-jarom [] has joined #mythtv
23:53-!-jhatch [] has quit [Read error: 113 (No route to host)]
23:57-!-cattelan [] has quit [Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)]
---Logclosed Fri Mar 14 00:00:24 2008