Back to Home / #openttd / 2020 / 10 / Prev Day | Next Day
#openttd IRC Logs for 2020-10-16

---Logopened Fri Oct 16 00:00:45 2020
00:02-!-snail_UES_ [] has quit [Quit: snail_UES_]
00:05-!-rptr_ [] has joined #openttd
00:05-!-rptr_ is "rptr" on #openttd
00:08-!-azubieta [] has quit [Quit: The Lounge -]
00:09-!-azubieta [] has joined #openttd
00:09-!-azubieta is "azubieta" on #openttd
02:04-!-sla_ro|master [] has joined #openttd
02:04-!-sla_ro|master is "slamaster" on @#sla #openttd
02:19-!-andythenorth [] has joined #openttd
02:19-!-andythenorth is "andythenorth" on #openttd
02:32-!-andythenorth [] has quit [Quit: andythenorth]
02:41-!-andythenorth [] has joined #openttd
02:41-!-andythenorth is "andythenorth" on #openttd
02:43-!-Compu [] has joined #openttd
02:43-!-Compu is "Compu" on #help #openttd #/r/openttd
02:43-!-Compu [] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
03:14-!-nielsm [] has joined #openttd
03:14-!-nielsm is "Niels Martin Hansen" on #openttd
03:17<rptr_>andythenorth, how is your train pack
03:17<andythenorth>it's a bit sleepy
03:17<andythenorth>and should exercise more
04:48-!-rptr_ [] has quit [Quit: Leaving]
05:08-!-WormnestAndroid [~WormnestA@] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
05:08-!-WormnestAndroid [~WormnestA@] has joined #openttd
05:08-!-WormnestAndroid is "WormnestAndroid" on #openttd
05:29-!-HerzogDeXtEr [] has joined #openttd
05:29-!-HerzogDeXtEr is "purple" on #openttd
06:37<andythenorth>I should use more engines on my steel trains
06:37<andythenorth>steel is much heavier than coal or grain
06:37<andythenorth>per ton
06:42<FLHerne>wait what
08:09-!-glx [] has joined #openttd
08:09-!-glx is "Loïc GUILLOUX" on #openttd
08:09-!-mode/#openttd [+v glx] by ChanServ
08:26-!-snail_UES_ [] has joined #openttd
08:26-!-snail_UES_ is "Jacopo Coletto" on #openttd
09:34-!-rptr_ [~rptr@2a00:801:42b:7891:16b1:e53f:55b2:15e1] has joined #openttd
09:34-!-rptr_ is "rptr" on #openttd
09:34<rptr_>any way to prevent exception stack traces if i catch an exception ?(ai)
09:37-!-supermop_Home_ [] has joined #openttd
09:37-!-supermop_Home_ is "Guest" on #openttd
09:38<LordAro>rptr_: alas no
09:52<Eddi|zuHause>doesn't a stack trace mean you DIDN'T catch the exception?
09:59-!-tokai [] has joined #openttd
09:59-!-tokai is "Christian Rosentreter" on #openttd
09:59-!-mode/#openttd [+v tokai] by ChanServ
10:05<LordAro>Eddi|zuHause: nope
10:06<LordAro>choochoo is the age old example of this
10:06<LordAro>throws (and catches) exceptions all over the place, and fills the console
10:06-!-tokai|noir [] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
10:12<Eddi|zuHause>that seems like a misplaced debuglevel
10:24<LordAro>could be
10:25<LordAro>the only thing i remember about it was pm telling someone else that it wasn't possible to make go away
10:31-!-Afdal [] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
10:45<Eddi|zuHause>nah... the impossible just takes a bit longer :)
10:49-!-arikover [] has joined #openttd
10:49-!-arikover is "arikover" on #openttd
11:00<rptr_>i would like to add it as a feature, LordAro, would be really useful
11:00<rptr_>sort of like Java i guess. exception.printStackTrace, or if it is caught at the top level, print it automatically
11:01<rptr_>i am coding a simple AI again, and i like using exceptions for some error handling
11:01<rptr_>surely it could be fixed
11:06<LordAro>i've no idea where it's coming from
11:06<LordAro>could be deep within the squirrel library for all i know
11:10<rptr_>it also gives "no error specified" or some crap like that. may just be that i am not creating correct exception classes
11:10<rptr_>it does terminate the script if the exception is not caught, but if it is the trace is still printed. so i guess it is in squirrel
11:23<rptr_>compiled squirrel just now, running a tiny test program: try{throw 1;} catch(e){print("gotcha");} // prints "gotcha"
11:31-!-Wormnest [~Wormnest@] has joined #openttd
11:31-!-Wormnest is "Wormnest" on #openttd
11:57-!-frosch123 [] has joined #openttd
11:57-!-frosch123 is "frosch" on #openttd
12:04-!-Flygon [~Flygon@2001:44b8:411e:4e00:ad41:b03:a8dc:a21a] has quit [Quit: A toaster's basically a soldering iron designed to toast bread]
12:05<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/team] glx22 commented on issue #56: [de_DE] Translator access request
12:16-!-Progman [] has joined #openttd
12:16-!-Progman is "Peter Henschel" on #openttd
12:57-!-Wolf01 [] has joined #openttd
12:57-!-Wolf01 is "Wolf01" on #openttd
13:07<Wolf01>So, HTC Vive Pro or Cosmos?
13:08<supermop_Home_>hi Wolf01
13:10-!-tokai|noir [] has joined #openttd
13:10-!-tokai|noir is "Christian Rosentreter" on #openttd
13:10-!-mode/#openttd [+v tokai|noir] by ChanServ
13:14<Wolf01>Oh, today I could have started my 2 weeks trip to Japan... if it wasn't for this virus
13:17-!-tokai [] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
13:29<supermop_Home_>I too was supposed to be in japan this autumn
13:51<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] DorpsGek pushed 1 commits to master
13:51<DorpsGek_III> - Update: Translations from eints (by translators)
14:05-!-rptr_ [~rptr@2a00:801:42b:7891:16b1:e53f:55b2:15e1] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
14:38<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta opened pull request #8329: Build AppImage
14:51<frosch123>does anyone know the implications of importing a gpl-3 python library?
14:54<TrueBrain>.... which library is GPLv3?
14:54<TrueBrain>that is such a stupid idea ..
14:54<TrueBrain>for OpenTTD the implications are very low .. as we are too GPLv3 :P
14:55<milek7_>Wolf01: or valve index?
14:55<TrueBrain>reminds me .. I have to change the license of openttd-helpers :D
14:55<frosch123>TrueBrain: the library you contributed to this week
14:55<TrueBrain>it is? Darn ... I will have to ask him :P
14:56<TrueBrain>for OpenTTD this really is not an issue, but it is not that great
14:56<frosch123>so, i wonder whether truewiki also has to be gpl-3. or whether python does not count as "linking"
14:56<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
14:56<TrueBrain>it does, and it does have to be GPLv3
14:56<TrueBrain>owh, we normally do GPLv2
14:56<TrueBrain>yeah, that is a bit of an issue
14:57<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
14:57<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
14:57<LordAro>TrueBrain: i thought we were gpl-2?
14:58<azubieta>sorry for the spam :(
14:58<Wolf01><milek7_> Wolf01: or valve index? < I prefer not being tied to a specific platform
14:59<milek7_>isn't vive based on steamvr too?
14:59<TrueBrain>LordAro: I ... just said that
14:59<TrueBrain>always read to the end of the conversation before commenting :P :P
15:00<LordAro>TrueBrain: bleh :p
15:00<LordAro>azubieta: 3 updates isn't spam, don't worry :p
15:00<azubieta>I'm dealing with the commit checker
15:01<LordAro>azubieta: reasonably sure it's not something that should run on push/pr though
15:01<LordAro>should run on release/nightly... which hasn't been converted to GH actions yet
15:01<FLHerne>LordAro: Well, it would make testing the PRs easier :p
15:01<TrueBrain>frosch123: <- think I build up enough credits with him to ask this
15:02<FLHerne>And it's Microsoft's CPU time...
15:04<azubieta>The AppImage is ready in case someone wants to give it a try
15:04<azubieta>it's built from sources with audio working
15:10<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] FLHerne commented on pull request #8329: Build AppImage
15:10<+glx>azubieta: <-- commit checker gives details ;)
15:11<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
15:12<azubieta>one more time
15:12<azubieta>Hurrah, the checker is happy now :)
15:13<azubieta>the build should also pass, please take a look at it. I'll be around in case you have comments or questions.
15:14<TrueBrain>LordAro: well, it is a start for the release pipeline, I guess ^^ :)
15:15<LordAro>well indeed
15:15<TrueBrain>turns out 45 users have an annoying banner when visiting our wiki .. some bug in the system doesn't reset when you visit your talk page .. and it keeps telling you the talk page changed :P
15:16<+glx>probably not as annoying as the banner on wikipedia
15:16-!-gelignite [] has joined #openttd
15:16-!-gelignite is "realname" on #llvm #openttd
15:20<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/py-helpers] TrueBrain opened pull request #6: Change: relicense under LGPLv2
15:20<TrueBrain>frosch123: fixed the issue in our own library too ^^ :D
15:20-!-rptr_ [] has joined #openttd
15:20-!-rptr_ is "rptr" on #openttd
15:20<TrueBrain>really completely forgot this is an issue with GPL :)
15:21<TrueBrain>trailing whitespaces error .. lol
15:22<frosch123>i get a yearly invitation to a 45 minutes training class about that :p
15:23<TrueBrain>I could use that too, it seems :D
15:23<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/py-helpers] TrueBrain updated pull request #6: Change: relicense under LGPLv2
15:23<frosch123>ok, it's not about licenses, it's more about "ask legal before visiting the toilet"
15:23<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta commented on pull request #8329: Build AppImage
15:24<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta commented on pull request #8329: Build AppImage
15:24<TrueBrain>the main discussion here is, is a Python library "linking"
15:25<TrueBrain>but okay ..
15:25<TrueBrain>Python doesn't link at all :P
15:25<azubieta>do you want me to remove all the introductory comments on the github workflow ?
15:25<FLHerne>azubieta: The ones that are true seem useful :-)
15:26<FLHerne>I don't think it matters either way really
15:27<FLHerne>Things like "# The type of runner that the job will run on" -> "runs-on: ubuntu-20.04" are a bit pointless
15:27<azubieta>I had to patch the timidity conf file to make it work properly that's why I'm running appimage-builder twice. That should be fixed in future appimage-builder versions.
15:28<azubieta>Ok, I'll remove them to avoid giving false information
15:28<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
15:29<FLHerne>I mean, that one's not false, it's just kind of self-explanatory without it
15:29<FLHerne>I suppose there's a risk of them becoming false if someone forgets to change them
15:29<LordAro>azubieta: a comment about why appimage-builder is being run twice (with a link to an issue?) would be iseful
15:29<TrueBrain>anyone mind giving a quick approval so I can release a new version? :D
15:30<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/py-helpers] LordAro approved pull request #6: Change: relicense under LGPLv2
15:30<TrueBrain>ty kind :)
15:30<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/py-helpers] TrueBrain merged pull request #6: Change: relicense under LGPLv2
15:30<LordAro>i aim to please
15:31<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/py-helpers] TrueBrain created new tag: 1.0.1
15:33<azubieta>it's not a problem, just a missing feature
15:34-!-iSoSyS [] has joined #openttd
15:34-!-iSoSyS is "realname" on #/r/openttd #openttd
15:34<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/bananas-frontend-web] TrueBrain merged pull request #47: Change: Some minor layout and css improvements
15:35<LordAro>azubieta: exactly, so link to that
15:35<LordAro>so someone can work out in future if the workaround is still required
15:36<azubieta>do you want the comment to be part of the commit or just in the PR ?
15:36<LordAro>in the commit
15:36<+glx>comment in the workflow yes
15:40<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
15:44<TrueBrain>why that sudo there? :P
15:46<azubieta>the bundle is built inside docker and it get root permissions on the outside, that's why we need sudo
15:48<TrueBrain>it is weird anyway that you need to patch something outside of appimage .. doesn't that defeat a bit the purpose of an "appimage.yml"?
15:48<TrueBrain>you would think you can patch stuff there, not?
15:49<TrueBrain>so if someone does a git clone, and builds the appimage himself, it doesn't work the same way
15:49<TrueBrain>feels a bit meh
15:51<azubieta>I'm working on that, I'm the maintainer of the appmage-builder project
15:51<azubieta>I wonder what was I thinking that didn't included it from the first time
15:52<TrueBrain>honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, I wonder if it would be a good idea to accept this PR at this stage
15:52<TrueBrain>as these kind of small things will lead to confusion with people
15:53<azubieta>Well the recipe (AFAIK) produces good AppImages so you will be able to have nightly builds that run on every GNU/Linux distribution right now
15:54<TrueBrain>OpenTTD itself is far from using GH to release nightlies atm, so this sadly doesn't help for that at this moment in time :)
15:54<rptr_>oh man. came back after an hour or so and i had gone into negative. poor network was constipated completely
15:54<+glx>yeah releases are still on the azure side
15:54-!-gelignite [] has quit [Quit: Stay safe! Stay at home! Stop the chain reaction!]
15:55<TrueBrain>hopefully someone ports that soon, but time is always a relative thing :D
15:55<+glx>we moved CI to github to ease reviewing
15:55<TrueBrain>no, to avoid it stop working on the 1st of November glx :)
15:55<+glx>that too ;)
15:55<TrueBrain>pretty sure otherwise it still wouldn't have happened :P
15:55<TrueBrain>deadlines tend to do the weirdest things :D
15:55<+glx>but having the errors directly visible in the PR is a good benefit :)
15:56<TrueBrain>not doubting that; I was referring to the timeline :D
15:56<azubieta>well you can use AppImage for testing PR too
15:56<azubieta>testing a* PR
15:56<TrueBrain>what benefit does that introduce?
15:57<+glx>how you mean providing artifacts for all CI builds ?
15:57<azubieta>you can download the produced binary without having to build it locally
15:57<TrueBrain>other question, when I land on AppImage, I find this to create AppImages:
15:57<TrueBrain>which uses this as YML:
15:57<TrueBrain>why are there more than one way of defining how it should be build?
15:58<TrueBrain>(where the URL I just gave seems to be the "official" approach?)
16:01<azubieta>While both tools use deb packages to fulfill the application dependencies, they produce different bundles. with pk2appimage you need to use the oldest still supported distribution to make a forward compatible bundle. appimage-builder is a new tool/approach that bundles glibc and other tricks to allow producing the AppImages in newer system but also
16:01<azubieta> to patch fixed paths at runtime (this feature is unique to appimage-builder) which allows, by example, to run the embed timidity server
16:02<TrueBrain>good answer, just not to the question I asked :D Why are the YML formats differ, while they contain mostly the same content?
16:02<TrueBrain>feels confusing?
16:03<azubieta>well, it wasn't meant to be compatible from the beginning. The pkg2appimage doesn't have the "runtime concept"
16:04<azubieta>in the case of AppImage there is no one tool to make them all, there are tools that work better for certain scenarios (applications)
16:04<TrueBrain>sadly, they have this repositories under their organization as second entry :D
16:04-!-arikover [] has quit [Quit: ERC (IRC client for Emacs 26.3)]
16:04<TrueBrain>understand that it is confusing ;)
16:05<TrueBrain>anyway, adding AppImages to PRs has very limited value for OpenTTD, as most people who would want to download that, will be Windows users, I am afraid :D
16:05<FLHerne>TrueBrain: We have an OpenTTD/nml repo, but you're still allowed to use m4nfo :p
16:05<TrueBrain>FLHerne: but the SPEC format is the same :)
16:05<TrueBrain>I was not arguing the tools ;)
16:06<FLHerne>The appimage-building tools are tools
16:06<azubieta>indeed, the AppImage project is maintained by probonod, he has the last word on what goes in the organization. Also he decided to keep not only appimage-builder but also linuxdeploy and linuxdeployqt as external projects
16:06<TrueBrain>yes ........ again ..... not talking about the tools :)
16:06<TrueBrain>not sure where you lost me FLHerne , but I keep talking about the YML file that defines how to build :)
16:06<TrueBrain>not the tool building it :)
16:07*azubieta bbl lunch time
16:07<TrueBrain>azubieta: meh; that is a bit sad :) Only pollutes; but not something you can help :)
16:07<TrueBrain>possibly it is a good idea to name "appimage.yml" to "appimage-builder.yml" in that case
16:07<TrueBrain>just to create a bit of separation there
16:07<FLHerne>TrueBrain: They build in completely different ways, so of course the build instructions aren't the same
16:08<TrueBrain>FLHerne: it is not "of course"; if you checked the formats, you would see they are very similar
16:08<TrueBrain>and you can argue all you want, but clearly this is not obvious to the outsider
16:08<TrueBrain>so not sure what you are aiming at :)
16:08<TrueBrain>google for "appimage yml", and you find the pkg2appimage repo
16:08<TrueBrain>with a YML spec
16:09<+glx>yes content looks very similar, except the syntax
16:09<TrueBrain>ingredients -> apt, and you are there, I think :P
16:09<+glx>maybe the builder could use an extended version of the standard
16:09<TrueBrain>glx: yeah, I expected something like that, tbh :)
16:09<TrueBrain>but if they are really 2 different projects, it is fine; just unclear from the outside
16:10<TrueBrain>inside the yml is also no indication for what project it builds
16:10<TrueBrain>bit like you see only a "requirements.txt" .. good luck understanding that :D
16:11<+glx>I would default to python (without looking at the other files around this "requirements.txt")
16:11<TrueBrain>annyyywwaaayy, more to the point about this PR: adding an AppImage any user can download on any PR might not be wise; the last time we talked about something similar, we came to the conclusion it should only happen when a developer says: OK
16:11<TrueBrain>to prevent people making malware PRs, misleading people into downloading it
16:11<+glx>but it's probably easy to tell with context for this txt file :)
16:11<TrueBrain>glx: but it requires you to know pip :)
16:12<TrueBrain>if you never heard of pip .. good luck finding out what the fuck is going on :P
16:12<TrueBrain>as the example here .. I just did: google, appimage yml, show me what you got :)
16:12<TrueBrain>did not end well for me :P
16:12<TrueBrain>(again, I don't mean anything bad here; just telling what I see, hoping it helps azubieta out :)
16:13<TrueBrain>anyway, back to what I was saying: this is the reason the CI never published binaries; not because we couldn't, just because we cannot trust a PR :D
16:13<+glx>and I agree, producing artifacts should not be enabled by default
16:14<TrueBrain>and just to be perfectly clear: I have nothing against appimage, etc :) Just in case people get confused for some reason :D
16:16<TrueBrain>if I can add one more request, and it depends on the same as patching that file: ideally you also want downloading of opengfx and friends inside the appimage definition file too, I think
16:17<TrueBrain>that makes all references, of course for the real binary of course, self-contained inside a single file
16:17<+glx>indeed, would make sense to include that in the "definition" file
16:17<TrueBrain>s/of course for/with the exception of/
16:17<milek7_>about PR testing, maybe building emscripten build would be useful? :P
16:18<TrueBrain>is your PR merged? :)
16:19<TrueBrain>so it would always fail? :P
16:19<TrueBrain>:D :D
16:22<rptr_>my client is nagging me but i want to code my AI :(
16:23<rptr_>why can't i be 14 instead
16:24<frosch123>14? 10 or 16 would be okay. but 14?
16:25<rptr_>at 10 i wouldn't be coding an AI, at 16 maybe
16:28<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] TrueBrain commented on pull request #8329: Build AppImage
16:29<TrueBrain>milek7_: but it is not a bad idea that, if that PR lands, to also validate emscripten doesn't break, by adding it to the CI. This can, as far as I care, be done in the PR, or in a follow-up PR
16:30<TrueBrain>while writing out my comment, I also noticed the yaml file doesn't have a comment mentioning for what tool it is a definition
16:31<TrueBrain>with all the YAML files already, I started to fancy the ones that do
16:31<TrueBrain>okay, files in .github/workflows is also obvious, but for the other yml files .. it can be a bit unclear
16:31<TrueBrain>guess I should fix all the .dorpsgek.yml tbh :)
16:31<frosch123>do we have a yamf.yaml ?
16:32<TrueBrain>I find it cute Python went for TOML
16:32<TrueBrain>betting on a losing horse is always fun
16:32<TrueBrain>I do like how they made clear for what you are creating a definition
16:33<+glx>at least most moved away from xml ;)
16:33<TrueBrain>it is rather verbose
16:33<TrueBrain>owh, yes, the XML fan-boys
16:33<TrueBrain>didn't we had someone on the website repo claiming it was the thing to use?
16:34<TrueBrain>"Also, implementing a single XML file would be more clean" <- ah, yes, I remember well
16:34<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] FLHerne commented on pull request #8329: Build AppImage
16:34<TrueBrain>FLHerne: EVEN better
16:35<TrueBrain>or, if I can shoot for the sky, make it a CPack :)
16:35<TrueBrain>but now I am -really- pushing it
16:36<TrueBrain>make it like :D
16:36<TrueBrain>I love how there is still a TODO there :P
16:36<TrueBrain>pretty sure it doesn't work :D
16:37<TrueBrain>pretty sure our most beloved and has-been-here-for-years Debian maintainer is going to cry a bit when 1.11 rolls out of the shop :P
16:38<azubieta>TrueBrain thanks for the comments, I guess that renaming the yml file to appimage-builder.yml will give a clearer hint of which tool must be used
16:38<TrueBrain>and I honestly would add self-promotion in the yml :)
16:38<TrueBrain>it is a really good way for others to make it easy to find your tool; and only your tool :D
16:38<TrueBrain>as example
16:39<TrueBrain>I like the: we are not telling you were to find us, but here is a link if you want to modify me
16:39<azubieta>good idea, adding it right away
16:40<TrueBrain>I am full of good ideas; sadly, they are often overshadowed by bad ideas :P
16:40<TrueBrain>frosch123: did you read my issue on wikitextparser? The library was build to do minor changes to wikitext, like URL change, template adjustments, etc ... seem I have been .. stretching what it was build for .. and kicking ass while doing so :D
16:41<TrueBrain>(well, not me, the library)
16:41<frosch123>yes, but does that stop you?
16:41<TrueBrain>30ms vs 800ms ... fuck Ruby
16:41<TrueBrain>it can go sit in a corner now
16:41<TrueBrain>and let the real boys (read: Python) do the work
16:42<TrueBrain>owh, he fixed rowspan .. let me test it :D
16:42<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta updated pull request #8329: Build AppImage
16:44<frosch123>hmm... why is it pushing so much... did i mess up lfs?
16:44<TrueBrain>oh-oh ....... :P
16:45<TrueBrain>LFS should be: enable it, and forget about it
16:45<TrueBrain>but I don't have that much experience with it otherwise
16:45<frosch123>well, i added another folder to it
16:46<TrueBrain> LOOK AT THAT! It renders tables correctly now :D
16:46-!-Wolf01 [] has quit [Quit: Once again the world is quick to bury me.]
16:46<TrueBrain>that makes me really happy
16:46<frosch123>TrueBrain: <- everything is different
16:47<frosch123>very different
16:47<TrueBrain>wow .....
16:47<frosch123>yes :p
16:47<TrueBrain>care to explain the logic? :D
16:47<TrueBrain>(I can guess to a certain extend)
16:48<frosch123>i sorted pages into more subfolders to separate the gold from the rice
16:48<TrueBrain>why not Templates in the language folders too?
16:48<TrueBrain>"Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 3,576 entries were omitted from the list."
16:48<TrueBrain>ty GitHub :P
16:48<TrueBrain>what language is "mp" btw?
16:49<TrueBrain>wow, en/Main is empty :D
16:49<TrueBrain>(well, almost empty)
16:49<TrueBrain>you have been busy my friend :)
16:49<frosch123>some languages have typos
16:50<frosch123>mp may be my or ms
16:50<frosch123>some Fr was written Ft
16:51<TrueBrain>are all the links also updated with your new folder setup?
16:52<TrueBrain>okay, I get your layout otherwise; forget about my Template question
16:52<TrueBrain>guess my only OCD-related issue is, that there is no root folder for content
16:52<TrueBrain>Category / File / Template / Content?
16:52<frosch123>ah, yes, that's something i wanted to ask you
16:52<frosch123>i can do either, but links would not include that top level then
16:53<TrueBrain>no problem
16:53<FLHerne>TrueBrain: I think I can see a flaw in your security argument
16:53<TrueBrain>just one? But which did you had in mind :)
16:53<frosch123>TrueBrain: oh, and LICENSE.mediawiki is a weird thing
16:53<rptr_>whoever read AI code: any tip on which AI has the "nicest" building code?
16:53<DorpsGek_III>[OpenTTD/OpenTTD] azubieta commented on pull request #8329: Build AppImage
16:53<FLHerne>Namely, that the current PR just built a downloadable AppImage as an artifact
16:53<rptr_>i found the ChooChoo builder code a bit confusing
16:53<frosch123>i want to put it into the top folder, so gh sees it
16:53<frosch123>but then the wiki cannot see it
16:54<TrueBrain>we write the wiki .. we can do anything!
16:54<FLHerne>Thus "people will generate artifacts in malicious PRs" is a moot point, because you can already do it
16:54<FLHerne>You just have to add the workflow in the malicious P
16:54<TrueBrain>but we don't promote anyone to download those
16:54<TrueBrain>which is the difference ;)
16:55<TrueBrain>it is never about someone not able to mislead people
16:55<TrueBrain>it is about what we promote
16:55<TrueBrain>as someone can just compile what-ever and link it in the PR body
16:55<TrueBrain>I mean .. :P
16:56<TrueBrain>sadly, GitHub doesn't allow you to restrict the things as I would, with a Security Officer hat on, but what can you do ..
16:57<frosch123>TrueBrain: btw. i used wikitextparser to replace links/templates this time :)
16:57<frosch123>i did not check many pages. but hopefully it has less artefacts
16:57<frosch123>also, i am not here tomorrow. so you have to live with this till sunday :p
16:58<TrueBrain>I will move folders around myself, but this is already really awesome :)
16:59<TrueBrain>btw FLHerne , I suspect GitHub is going to change this sooner or later, that it runs the workflow of the PR, and not of the target branch (which is silly in my opinion that it does this) .. as I am still waiting for the attack where people make a lot of PRs in many projects which start a coinminer
16:59<frosch123>ah, i also reexported from the real wiki this afternoon. so it has all your template fixes
16:59<TrueBrain>that makes me really happy!
16:59<TrueBrain>you have been really busy :D
17:00<frosch123>it was less work than expected
17:01<TrueBrain>you removed the python files to render categories and translations?
17:01<frosch123>separate the english pages from the rest via script, separate baseset vehicles (seriously, how many page?), separate xyz.... put linked translations into the same categories :)
17:01<TrueBrain>are those files still up-to-date, or is it an updated folder?
17:01<TrueBrain>updated .. outdated ...
17:01<TrueBrain>typing HARD
17:02<frosch123> is in the other repo
17:02<TrueBrain>owh, of course, DUHHHH
17:02<TrueBrain>sorry :)
17:02<TrueBrain>well ... I am scared to load it, but let me try this real quick ..
17:02<andythenorth>oof I looked away and loads of chat happened
17:02<andythenorth>I was only playing tanks for a few...minutes
17:02<TrueBrain>andythenorth: please, don't look away again
17:02<TrueBrain>it was HORRIBLE
17:02<andythenorth>about 480 minutes
17:03<TrueBrain>this TrueBrain kept talking and talking
17:03<TrueBrain>like .. does he NEVER shut up?
17:03<frosch123>andythenorth: you can have the next shift of talking, if you want
17:03<TrueBrain>@kick andythenorth no more tanks!
17:03-!-andythenorth was kicked from #openttd by DorpsGek [no more tanks!]
17:04<frosch123>do we still have these stats? "andy talked 15 lines in a row with no interaction"?
17:04<TrueBrain>dammit, 1001 kicks ...
17:04<LordAro>TrueBrain: you ruined it!
17:04-!-andythenorth [] has joined #openttd
17:04-!-andythenorth is "andythenorth" on #openttd
17:04<andythenorth>won my bet
17:04<TrueBrain>LordAro: yes .. and it feels really shitty tbh
17:04<andythenorth>I thought 2 wouldn't be a kick, and 3 would
17:05<TrueBrain>it was in the moment :P
17:05<frosch123>TrueBrain: that is more than 1 kick per week over the channel history
17:05<TrueBrain>it was stats starting from 2009, I think
17:06<TrueBrain>@calc 11 * 52
17:06<@DorpsGek>TrueBrain: 572
17:06<TrueBrain>EVEN WORSE :P
17:06<TrueBrain>did not realise that number yet :D
17:06<TrueBrain>but andythenorth ruined it
17:06<TrueBrain>so .. yeah .. that ...
17:07<TrueBrain>hmm .. "File" folder .. what do I think about that ..
17:07<TrueBrain>there is also File: syntax in mediawiki, to get the metadata of a file
17:07<frosch123>i deleted those :)
17:07<TrueBrain>I render those :P
17:08<TrueBrain>but you don't want to allow overwriting images, I guess?
17:08<frosch123>shall i revert to uploads? i thought File was easier for you
17:08<TrueBrain>nah, I like File
17:08<TrueBrain>it is more clear
17:08<TrueBrain>I was more wondering how we want to do the links
17:08<frosch123>TrueBrain: overwriting images is important
17:08<frosch123>otherwise people make a mess with "image 1", "image 2"
17:09<TrueBrain>okay, so we will have /File/ for files, and /File: for metadata :)
17:09<TrueBrain>of /FileMeta ?
17:09<TrueBrain>dunno .. we figure something out :)
17:09<frosch123>if you want the File: metadata pages, i'll rather add "uploads" again
17:10<TrueBrain>well, it is about: what do we see in the GitHub repo vs what are the URLs
17:10<TrueBrain>I like the File folder, as that is what you read in the mediawiki files
17:10<TrueBrain>I can still name the URL "uploads" :)
17:10<frosch123>i can't follow
17:10<TrueBrain>how things are called on disk, doesn't have to be how it is called in the URL
17:11<frosch123>i configured lfs to track a directory
17:11<frosch123>so if you want file metadata, we need two directories
17:11<TrueBrain>owh, metadata is: history
17:11<TrueBrain>so git log
17:11<TrueBrain>that is what I meant, tbh :P
17:11<TrueBrain>now I understand the misunderstanding :D
17:11<frosch123>TrueBrain: <- i thought you meant these
17:11<TrueBrain>wtf is that :o
17:12<frosch123>every uploaded file has a wikipage
17:12<TrueBrain>..... omg
17:12<frosch123>which describes the file textually
17:12<frosch123>it's important for the real wikipedia, because it states license and stuff
17:12<TrueBrain> <- I meant that
17:12<TrueBrain>well, that is the same
17:12<TrueBrain>but that from git log
17:12<TrueBrain>I did not know you could translate it etc
17:12<TrueBrain>holy bonsai
17:13<TrueBrain>so yeah, I am going to ignore this for now; something we can talk about sunday :P
17:14<TrueBrain>frosch123: is "AI:" gone? :D
17:14<TrueBrain>IT IS! I am your biggest fan :D
17:14<TrueBrain>no more pages with a : in them
17:15<frosch123>yay, lucky me :) i added code to remove it, but did not check the result :)
17:16<TrueBrain>something went wrong with the translations :D
17:16<TrueBrain>they all say MAIN
17:17<frosch123>oh, so i need to change the script
17:17-!-nielsm [] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
17:17<TrueBrain> <- lot of red text, but it loads the first page at least :)
17:17<TrueBrain>FR and PL do work
17:17<TrueBrain>odly enough :P
17:17<frosch123>ah "uploads/"
17:18<TrueBrain>it is still named "uploads/"
17:18<TrueBrain>the languages are just all called MAIN
17:18<TrueBrain><img src="/uploads/Main/Flag.png"/><br/>MAIN</a></div>
17:19<TrueBrain>but I will change that tomorrow into a mediawiki template I think
17:19<TrueBrain>bit easier
17:19<TrueBrain> <- translations acting up :D
17:20<frosch123>TrueBrain: are you aware how categories work?
17:20<TrueBrain>haven't looked into them
17:20<TrueBrain>I am scared of them
17:20<frosch123>because "translations" as templates adds more problems than it solves :) i tried it
17:21<TrueBrain>no no, not what I meant
17:21<TrueBrain>you now render them as HTML
17:21<TrueBrain>I am going to change that into rendering as wikitext, I think
17:21<TrueBrain>so it uses [[File:]] for images
17:21<TrueBrain>hmm .. "Gameplay Manual" link is pointing to /en/, not /en/OpenTTD
17:22<frosch123>TrueBrain: btw. what do you think about showing all files of the current directory in some panel on the left?
17:22<frosch123>it would remove the need for many categories, if people could just browse directories
17:22<TrueBrain>we will have to experiment a bit with that, I think
17:23<frosch123>previously pages had categories "manual" and "scenario", but those are folders now
17:23-!-Wormnest [~Wormnest@] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
17:23<TrueBrain> <- any idea why this page was wrongly linked from "Main Page"?
17:23<TrueBrain>even on that page it is wrongly linked
17:24<frosch123>oh right. there's another file i wanted to share
17:25<TrueBrain>I like this folder structure a lot
17:25-!-WormnestAndroid [~WormnestA@] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
17:29-!-andythenorth [] has quit [Quit: andythenorth]
17:31<frosch123>TrueBrain: i think i fixed the .translation
17:31-!-Wormnest [~Wormnest@] has joined #openttd
17:31-!-Wormnest is "Wormnest" on #openttd
17:32<frosch123>also i added and
17:32<frosch123>which will be handy if you want to compare old wiki vs new wiki
17:32<TrueBrain>can you also share you latest index.php (via gist if you like)?
17:32<frosch123>php? what do you think of me?
17:33<TrueBrain>..... ooooopppsss
17:33<TrueBrain>I AM SO SORRY
17:33<TrueBrain>SO SO SORRY :(
17:33-!-WormnestAndroid [~WormnestA@2607:fb90:e418:bcfb:0:c:dae3:7201] has joined #openttd
17:33-!-WormnestAndroid is "WormnestAndroid" on #openttd
17:33<TrueBrain>I like the language "Trash" we now have :)
17:34<TrueBrain>(no, the .translation is still not completely correct :P)
17:34<frosch123>those are pages i will check on sunday, whether i sorted them correctly, then delete them
17:34<rptr_>is there a "go to tile index" feature? :)
17:34<TrueBrain>ty kind!
17:34<frosch123>rptr_: yes, console "scrollto"
17:35<TrueBrain> <- still not looking good
17:35<frosch123>TrueBrain: funnily that script becomes easier again, if we add a "Pages/" or similar :)
17:35<TrueBrain>Pages, that is the better word
17:35<TrueBrain>well, locally I already have that, tbh :P
17:36<frosch123>TrueBrain: did you pull?
17:36<frosch123>or did i not push?
17:37<TrueBrain>I might have been stupid, let me check :D
17:37<frosch123> <- that looks good to me
17:37<TrueBrain>no, this was me :P
17:37<frosch123>except the usual suspects Fr and Pl
17:37<frosch123>not sure whether they just translated the most pages, or whether they just messed up more :)
17:38<TrueBrain>owh, you renamed it to /File
17:38<TrueBrain>we really need this to be wikitext :D
17:40<TrueBrain> does not contain your latest fixes
17:40<TrueBrain>I was wondering why if I run it it was broken again
17:40<TrueBrain>it was not completely me \o/ :D
17:40<frosch123>try again :)
17:42<frosch123>ah.. i see why the link to "OpenTTD" is broken :)
17:42<frosch123>it's because that's also a namespace name
17:43-!-sla_ro|master [] has quit []
17:44<TrueBrain>looks a bit better
17:44<TrueBrain>but some languages are in there twice :P
17:45<TrueBrain>well, not something for tonight to figure out :)
17:45<frosch123>yes, that's when the translators did not properly link them
17:45<frosch123>it's kind of intentional, so you can see their bugs
17:45<TrueBrain> <- not sure yet why there are two language thingies there
17:45<TrueBrain>and a lot of broken links ..
17:46<TrueBrain>hmm .. my detection clearly is broken
17:46<TrueBrain>there we go, a lot better
17:47<TrueBrain>"en" is no longer first language :P
17:47<TrueBrain>now it is :)
17:48<TrueBrain>[[Translation:Template/en/Table of contents]] <- inside "Table of contents" template
17:48<TrueBrain>which is used on many pages :P
17:48<TrueBrain>should templates have that marker?
17:50<frosch123>i pushed some link fixes
17:50<TrueBrain>can you also move all languages into Pages folder?
17:50<TrueBrain>(otherwise I keep fixing that locally :D)
17:52<frosch123>plural or singual?
17:53<rptr_>which way is north? -Y?
17:53<TrueBrain>andy left, I am lost :(
17:54<frosch123>i know a lot of wiki pages suddenly :p
17:54<TrueBrain>haha :D
17:55<rptr_>well that makes sense
17:55<rptr_>ok, buildrail makes sense now
17:56<rptr_>beautiful roundabout :D
17:57<TrueBrain>frosch123: but am I right to assume the [[Translation]] tag in Templates is a mistake, or is that really useful?
17:58<frosch123>translators put them there
17:58<frosch123>but we can delete them :)
17:59<TrueBrain>cool :)
17:59<frosch123>TrueBrain: ah, i guess they were inside <noinclude> before, and i broke that
17:59<TrueBrain>that looks pretty good
17:59<frosch123>__TOC__ :)
17:59<frosch123>i think i'll add the Page/ on sunday
18:00<TrueBrain>they did put it in noinclude :)
18:00<TrueBrain>still no clue what the added value is of having it at all
18:00<frosch123>it translates the subtitles?
18:01<frosch123>"Infrastructure" -> "Constructies"
18:01<TrueBrain>well, translated templates is fine, but why the lookup table on top
18:02<TrueBrain>to bundle them
18:02<TrueBrain>meh, I guess, sure, why not
18:02<TrueBrain>I will filter them out on my end
18:03<TrueBrain>still some errors, but seemly on my end :)
18:03<TrueBrain>"Template Template/en/table of contents not found"
18:03<TrueBrain>pretty sure I saw it
18:04<TrueBrain>might be casing error
18:04<TrueBrain>it is
18:04<TrueBrain>okay, I will go through my issue tomorrow, update what is fixed
18:04<TrueBrain>and leave what is left :)
18:04<TrueBrain>but this update is already a huge improvement :)
18:05<frosch123> <- i still need to convert the Tabs template
18:06<TrueBrain>most "page not found" errors I see are because of missing category in URL
18:06<frosch123>all templates which have pagenames are parameters need special handling
18:07<TrueBrain>there is no "Mac.mediawiki" in export :(
18:07<TrueBrain>wait, it doesn't exist in the wiki at all
18:07<frosch123>i think that's already in my trash list
18:08<frosch123>shall i also upload the list of trashed pages?
18:08<TrueBrain>ah, the Windows page is a redirect
18:08<TrueBrain>those are still an issue :P
18:09<TrueBrain>guess we could do with something like "Windows.redirect", with in there the URL to redirect to, or something
18:09<TrueBrain>no, for history it is better if it is called .mediawiki
18:09<TrueBrain>owh well, not the most important thing tbfh
18:10<frosch123> <- it contains awesome stuff like "index.php"
18:10<frosch123>all real pages on the wiki :)
18:11<TrueBrain>okay, tomorrow I am going to make this more in a library, but also add a "pedantic mediawiki" mode
18:11<TrueBrain>I didn't want to do it, but I am
18:11<frosch123> <- the second one in the list is my favorite
18:11<TrueBrain>as that makes it a lot easier to confirm everything works a-okay
18:11<TrueBrain>so much crap .....
18:11<frosch123> <- someone was upset they were not allowe dto upload scenarios, so they uploaed a 64encoded text :)
18:12<TrueBrain>I noticed it yesterday in the export
18:12<TrueBrain>made my script do weird shit :D
18:12<TrueBrain>anyway, good improvements all around
18:13<TrueBrain>I think we can bring this to the finishline tbh
18:13<TrueBrain>I don't really see any blockers .. just some challenges
18:13<TrueBrain>like, what to do with file history / "translations"
18:13<TrueBrain>but first, time to get some zzzzzzzz
18:13<frosch123>yep :)
18:14<frosch123>see you sunday
18:14-!-frosch123 [] has quit [Quit: be yourself, except: if you have the opportunity to be a unicorn, then be a unicorn]
18:28<rptr_>can i evalute scripts in console?
18:37-!-iSoSyS [] has quit []
19:02-!-Progman [] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
19:05-!-tokai [] has joined #openttd
19:05-!-tokai is "Christian Rosentreter" on #openttd
19:05-!-mode/#openttd [+v tokai] by ChanServ
19:11-!-supermop_Home_ [] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
19:12-!-tokai|noir [] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
19:40-!-WormnestAndroid [~WormnestA@2607:fb90:e418:bcfb:0:c:dae3:7201] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
19:40-!-WormnestAndroid [~WormnestA@] has joined #openttd
19:40-!-WormnestAndroid is "WormnestAndroid" on #openttd
19:44-!-Wormnest [~Wormnest@] has quit [Quit: Leaving]
20:00-!-HerzogDeXtEr [] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
20:17-!-rptr_ [] has quit [Quit: Leaving]
21:28-!-rptr_ [~rptr@2a00:801:42b:7891:16b1:e53f:55b2:15e1] has joined #openttd
21:28-!-rptr_ is "rptr" on #openttd
21:28-!-glx [] has quit []
21:29-!-heffer__ [] has quit [Quit: heffer__]
21:40-!-heffer [] has joined #openttd
21:40-!-heffer is "Felix Kaechele" on #openttd
21:41-!-Flygon [~Flygon@2001:44b8:411e:4e00:9d6c:fc58:6f18:7e54] has joined #openttd
21:41-!-Flygon is "Flygon" on #openttd
22:20-!-D-HUND [~debdog@2a00:79c0:60a:4700:7a24:afff:fe8a:d04d] has joined #openttd
22:20-!-D-HUND is "Wowbagger" on #openttd
22:23-!-debdog [~debdog@2a00:79c0:63c:3e00:7a24:afff:fe8a:d04d] has quit [Ping timeout: 480 seconds]
22:29-!-nielsm [] has joined #openttd
22:29-!-nielsm is "Niels Martin Hansen" on #openttd
---Logclosed Sat Oct 17 00:00:46 2020